Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 02:51 AM   #1
Funkerman

AKaholic #: 175301
Default Zenitco B22 or RS regulate? opinions plz

I want to run this by you good folks as y'all have more time getting of the X than I do.
Know that this isn't saying that either company's products are bad by any stretch. RS regulate is the standard that all other side mounts are judges by and Zenitco is the best rail system that AK rifles can use overall.

Here's the thing: I have a 104 FR that's my go to, and with my eyes, I need my red dot. I also live in humidity and I have to able to field strip it properly. So after going through options like Ultimaks, dust cover rails, etc, etc, I am torn between the Zenitco lower hand guard & B22 rail mount combo and buying the RS regulate forward mount& Aimpoint micro mount. I want to keep the red dot on at all times but the RS rail has been proven and would let me clean the gun as needed. The trouble, obviously, is that I have fumbled with side rail s under stress before and that is a bit daunting. If you where thinking of the above two options which would you use? Again, this is a go to dealing with space concerns and the need for both cleaning and the red dot to be there always. Sorry if the wording is odd, I need some sleep!
Thanks and God bless!
Funkerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
ugroza

AKaholic #: 183657

Cleaning of the AK- the biggest overblown factor that is somehow turned from an option into a necessity. As we say in my country- Don't make an elephant out of the fly.

With either option cleaning is doable, so i don't know why you pulling it in here.

Now with nonsense out of the way, you are left with two factors: Limited space and must have optic on.
Can still have side mount with stock folded half way if space permits such option. If not, you already know the answer.

If you know that you will fumble with the side rail , you already know the answer.
Next time sleep and then think, instead of thinking when you should be sleeping.

Both are equally gtg, don't even dig there.

Bonus:
B10m will give you rails. Over time i became very fond of vertical grips, have not held by the magazine ever since. Also, ability to mount light is very appreciated.

Extra bonus: Don't fuck up that B10m when you will fit it to your rifle. Have seen so many fucked up by now, not even funny... "Yah bruh, i followed forum instructions, it holds solid!"- Yah right, holds solid my ass.
ugroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
Cleaning of the AK- the biggest overblown factor that is somehow turned from an option into a necessity. As we say in my country- Don't make an elephant out of the fly.

With either option cleaning is doable, so i don't know why you pulling it in here.

Now with nonsense out of the way, you are left with two factors: Limited space and must have optic on.
Can still have side mount with stock folded half way if space permits such option. If not, you already know the answer.

If you know that you will fumble with the side rail , you already know the answer.
Next time sleep and then think, instead of thinking when you should be sleeping.

Both are equally gtg, don't even dig there.

Bonus:
B10m will give you rails. Over time i became very fond of vertical grips, have not held by the magazine ever since. Also, ability to mount light is very appreciated.

Extra bonus: Don't fuck up that B10m when you will fit it to your rifle. Have seen so many fucked up by now, not even funny... "Yah bruh, i followed forum instructions, it holds solid!"- Yah right, holds solid my ass.
Solid advice and well needed. Thank you very much! You are also correct sleeping. As to the B10, I think I will make damn sure I know what I am doing before I install it. If memory serves the handgaurd is an aluminum alloy.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

I dont know if the zenitco mounts low enough to give cowitness with a QD aimpoint. For me, cowitness and QD is the holy grail.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
ugroza

AKaholic #: 183657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I dont know if the zenitco mounts low enough to give cowitness with a QD aimpoint. For me, cowitness and QD is the holy grail.
B33 is as low as it gets on an AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkerman View Post
Solid advice and well needed. Thank you very much! You are also correct sleeping. As to the B10, I think I will make damn sure I know what I am doing before I install it. If memory serves the handgaurd is an aluminum alloy.
Yep, aluminum, super easy to work with.
Mine needed a tiny bit of filing in one spot on the inside to clear the trunion. For some reason someone on internet thought it would be a brilliant idea to file the edges.
Edges is the only area that centers a handguard and offers the most contact surface area with the receiver.
Why would anyone attempt to mess with it is beyond me. Well, someone did, and crowd followed.
ugroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
In the case of the B22 that isn't possible, nor would you need co-witness. This mounts a red dot on top of the rear sight. If the dot dies, just lower your eyes and the rear sight leaf is still there & functional. At this point I am probably going with the B 22 and the B 10U, despite the downsides to it. I was an AK purist, but times & needs change.
I've looked the web for a while and it seems the b 22 is either new & not known or I'm missing something. I was hoping someone else here had used it and had some feedback for it .
Old 03-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Oh ok, yeah in that case thats a good idea.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkerman View Post
I was an AK purist, but times & needs change
ZenitCo is pretty pure my friend, don't feel bad about using it

In the other thread I said I have no direct experience with B22 and no plans to acquire one, but the B10M+ B33 topcover is the best topcover solution I've seen. I have no reason to suspect that B22 will not be as effective as B33, so I'd have no problem recommending it FWIW

You can't go wrong with RS either but if you want to have the stock folded with the optic mounted then as ugroza said you already have your answer

IMO the tradeoff between the two is primarily weight and balance, (and definitely price) but because you are only going for a red dot I think the impact of Zenitco will be relatively low weight wise

Adding a light is a good idea to any AK but the only problem with ZenitCo is that you can add all kinds of useful stuff and weight goes up pretty fast, just like any tactical rifle with gizmos

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote