Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #36
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Just a bump for this extremely important thread, as the illegals keep flooding into this country, not just from Mexico but imported from third world shitholes by the flappy-eared village idiot, more and more disease will also be imported with them. Stock up on meds and also cleaning supplies.
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #37
akbuster

AKaholic #: 182433

don't forget masks, good ones. getting sprayed from above sucks.
akbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #38
Dan FS71
ΑΩIs

AKaholic #: 54259

Zeroform - ya, it's close enough

================================================== =========================
The same administration who put "Assault Rifles" into the hands of Murderous Drug Cartels now seek to take them from you.
================================================== =========================
How is that for common-sense Change?

Old Testament Retribution. --- Gunplumber Style --- Served Here
Dan FS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #39
DrIntrepid

AKaholic #: 186676

Highly advise everyone interested in this take at a bare minimum, a first-responder course. Education is important, and website forums aren't sufficient.

Also, a tourniquet is a very useful thing ladies and gentlemen. Hemorrhage is our top killer in the field.
Compression,elevation, tourniquet.
DrIntrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #40
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

insulin, if you're diabetic.
...times are gone for honest men and sometimes far to long for snakes... -RIP Chris Cornell
Happiness is a road, lined with the bones of those whom sold out America, for personal gain/profit. -Me
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Doc u mentioned Tamiflu in your initial post. Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas on how to go about stock piling it? I dont trust fed gov to distribute it fast enough to do any good in the initial stages of avian flu or similar pandemic.

I have seen it on those somewhat sketchy foreign (India) sites that are supposed to be legit medicine wise, but receiving it through customs can be a challenge.

Currently I would not feel comfortable approaching any of my docs for this as I rely on them pretty heavily for routine care.

I do have a friend who could get me some, but he would need to ship it to me and the Rx would be in his name? I know that must be illegal, but perhaps we could finesse it by saying it was being shipped in advance of an upcoming trip, he is vulnerable to flu and needs it on hand or some thing along those lines.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #42
Sirex
Goldmember

AKaholic #: 181199

DrJarhead, I have a question about Fluoroquinolones. I saw the warning you gave about Tetracycline and giving to kids or pregnant women. My question is how serious, or likely are the issues with Fluoroquinolones causing tendon damage? Is it common, or one of those this where a few isolated cases have come up and triggered drug warnings? I was on Cipro a month or so ago after Augmentin failed to kill my sinus infection. I have some orthopedic issues, hip and knees from a fall mainly, and was curious if there would be any serious long term effects from one round of treatment, and if it's worth from a safety standpoint, stocking up on for long term storage. Thanks for your insight.

http://archive.is/DFDvz

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm511530.htm

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety.../ucm126085.htm

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #43
drjarhead
American Patriot

AKaholic #: 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Doc u mentioned Tamiflu in your initial post. Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas on how to go about stock piling it? I dont trust fed gov to distribute it fast enough to do any good in the initial stages of avian flu or similar pandemic.

I have seen it on those somewhat sketchy foreign (India) sites that are supposed to be legit medicine wise, but receiving it through customs can be a challenge.

Currently I would not feel comfortable approaching any of my docs for this as I rely on them pretty heavily for routine care.

I do have a friend who could get me some, but he would need to ship it to me and the Rx would be in his name? I know that must be illegal, but perhaps we could finesse it by saying it was being shipped in advance of an upcoming trip, he is vulnerable to flu and needs it on hand or some thing along those lines.
If your friend is reliable, that would seem the best option IMO.
As far as the shipping arrangements, figuring out a good way of doing so shouldn't be difficult.

Again, prevention would be key.
However, influenza eventually gets around to you. Just how it is.

Almost everyone survives the flu, obviously, but people with heart and lung problems are especially susceptible to higher mortality as are those with weakened immune systems for whatever reason, including poor nutrition and lack of reserve such as one might see in a SHTF scenario.

SMOKING
Stop smoking. That will improve your chances of survival, you won't get sick as often, nor to as great a degree, esp with illnesses like influenza and pneumonia.

Last edited by drjarhead; 03-25-2017 at 11:05 AM.
drjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #44
drjarhead
American Patriot

AKaholic #: 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirex View Post
DrJarhead, I have a question about Fluoroquinolones. I saw the warning you gave about Tetracycline and giving to kids or pregnant women. My question is how serious, or likely are the issues with Fluoroquinolones causing tendon damage? Is it common, or one of those this where a few isolated cases have come up and triggered drug warnings? I was on Cipro a month or so ago after Augmentin failed to kill my sinus infection. I have some orthopedic issues, hip and knees from a fall mainly, and was curious if there would be any serious long term effects from one round of treatment, and if it's worth from a safety standpoint, stocking up on for long term storage. Thanks for your insight.

http://archive.is/DFDvz

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm511530.htm

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety.../ucm126085.htm
It's not a common problem but knowing real numbers is difficult because most people won't be able to connect their issue to their antibiotic and then, most such issues resolve on their own.

In your case, you don't state your age but it's unlikely to cause a significant problem for you.

Maybe you had a sinus infection, maybe you didn't. I don't know.
Most over diagnosed illness in medicine by far.

In any event, surviving an infection is always beneficial.

In a SHTF type scenario, preventing infections would be vital.
That's in the other thread.

drjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #45
Sirex
Goldmember

AKaholic #: 181199

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
It's not a common problem but knowing real numbers is difficult because most people won't be able to connect their issue to their antibiotic and then, most such issues resolve on their own.

In your case, you don't state your age but it's unlikely to cause a significant problem for you.

Maybe you had a sinus infection, maybe you didn't. I don't know.
Most over diagnosed illness in medicine by far.

In any event, surviving an infection is always beneficial.

In a SHTF type scenario, preventing infections would be vital.
That's in the other thread.
Thank you. I am 41. I had a diagnosed sinus infection, I was prescribed the Augmentin. Infection subsided for a bit, but came back about a week after ending Augmentin. Cipro was prescribed. I won't obsess about it, was just curious since I have some orthopedic issues already. I didn't know if it was a serious issue, or an overblown issue.

As always, thank you for passing on the knowledge you do.

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #46
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Honey is a good anti-biotic . Yes Honey kills bacteria and so does sugar . Honey on scratches or cuts can prevent infection . Silver is also bacteriostatic , which is why I eat off it .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #47
recon-1
Are We There Yet
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 655

Interesting on silver as a anti-biotic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"
recon-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #48
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170271

Is Demeclocycline effective for anything anymore?
Larryphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #49
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

I am a paramedic, also finishing nursing school. I can tell you, believe it or not, veterinary antibiotics (despite what some people might say), will 100% work in a pinch. Find a reputable dealer with high quality stuff (for show animals).

Should you use it now? No. Absolutely not. You have a doctor. Go use your doctor you animal.
Should you use it if your arm is probably going to fall off and the lights went out a few months ago? Yep. Make sure you have a lot of water just in case you start yacking, dehydration is not good.

Also, learn how to spike yourself for an IV, especially if you're using potentially rough antibiotics. It won't take long for an electrolyte imbalance from the impending fluid ejection out both ends to do a number on you. Make a friend that's a nurse or a para (or doc if you rub elbows in such circles). NS solution isn't hard to make (but there's a risk of the lack of sterility obviously). Ideally, have some bags. Also....not hard to obtain (again, make those friends). Also, vet supply for NS and lactated ringers.

Any medical questions, feel free to PM me.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #50
steven1919
Banned

AKaholic #: 196399

I really think the best needs is analgetics (pain killers) and antibiotics
steven1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #51
uao85
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158002

For those storing IV fluids... Very important to know what you have and what it will do. hypertonic solutions can really fuck things up if given carelessly thinking "we need to give fluids".

Also, dont underestimate the seriousness of even minor infections. I have seen a woman in her 20s in the ICU for sepsis due to a UTI. She was starting to go through organ failure and clinging to life.

Along those lines, diabetics have a huge number of hurdles to avoid. Infection is one of them. Cellulitis in the extremities in a SHTF situation will without a doubt kill a diabetic without major antibiotic and fluid therapy.

Major trauma and sepsis follow the same rules for fluid resuscitation typically. 20-30cc/kg bolus-as in a massive high flow fluid infusion via an IV. That can be repeated as necessary 1 or 2 times, but like DRJarhead mentioned in a previous post you need to be weary of so much fluid due to dilution of the blood and the stuff thats in it(electrolytes, minerals etc).

For major trauma, it isn't recommended to give more than 3 liters of fluid due to dilution of the blood. At that point, you should start to alternate with packed red blood cells. But if your out in BFE, anything is better than nothing.

I will second the large bore IVs BEFORE becoming unstable. During the las vegas shooting after care at the local hospital, the physicians mentioned it being one vital key in their care of those injured. They mentioned that already having IV access allowed them to resuscitate those that were injured and had a delay in decompensation. Once you loose blood pressure/pulse/fluid volume, trying to establish IV access is exceedingly hard. I've been there, it sucks.

Couple of small points I thought I would mention. There are others that I will revisit to talk about. FWIW I have worked in a level 2 trauma center ER, level 3 trauma center ER, and worked in several rural critical access ERs where I saw a lot of agricultural accidents among other injuries of every shape and size.
uao85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #52
uao85
Veteran Member

Almost forgot to make a contribution to the original topic. My apologies. I will grab the sepsis protocol we have to give here as anecdotal information for those here. The basis is that it gives you a choice of 2 antibiotics to use for major septic infections. Those 2 antibiotics will typically overlap each other in the spectrum of bacterial infections it treats. That way, if you have no idea what bacteria is causing things to go awry, you have a very good chance that the pairing of the antibiotics will treat whatever it is causing the illness.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #53
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

Great perspective UAO you should start a thread on something like most common injuries you see or ones that would be likely in SHTF that could take us out. Your on the ground reality check is a much needed frickin harsh wake up call.

I think many of us, myself included, kind of take for granted the emergency care and EMT network we have without realizing it. You, your kids, (esp babies etc) or lived ones only need to really need it once ...
Old 05-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #54
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

also a good program to watch is Dual Survival, Cody Lundin is one that knows about primitive food and meds procurement which would be useful knowledge in a shtf/survival situation.
...times are gone for honest men and sometimes far to long for snakes... -RIP Chris Cornell
Happiness is a road, lined with the bones of those whom sold out America, for personal gain/profit. -Me
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #55
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1919 View Post
I really think the best needs is analgetics (pain killers) and antibiotics
Yes, to an extent, but if I had a choice between having some tylenol or anti-diarrhea meds, I would rather take a little pain than die from dehydration/screaming shits.

Worm meds more important than basic pain meds too, giardia will fuck you up bad if you happen to drink some bad water.

Anti-fungals are more important than analgesics too IMO.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #56
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Having a registered nurse or doctor in the family is a big plus .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #57
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
Having a registered nurse or doctor in the family is a big plus .
A doctor would be great, but I prefer my 30-year surgery tech to a nurse, she has thousands of operations under her belt and could do some post-SHTF field-hacking if I needed it. Most nurses don't have anything to do with the OR, even the ones that do for the most part are post-care, not actually helping with the operation.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #58
recon-1
Are We There Yet
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragynn View Post
Yes, to an extent, but if I had a choice between having some tylenol or anti-diarrhea meds, I would rather take a little pain than die from dehydration/screaming shits.

Worm meds more important than basic pain meds too, giardia will fuck you up bad if you happen to drink some bad water.

Anti-fungals are more important than analgesics too IMO.

I had Giardia once. Thought I was going to die! Hope to never have that again!

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"
recon-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #59
uao85
Veteran Member

Decided to delete this post since it was getting away from the topic at hand. Will be sure to get the list of antibiotics for sepsis protocol.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #60
uao85
Veteran Member

Couldn't find the protocol we use at work. Probably moved to a different file some time in the last few months. Antibiotics aren't the same, and certain antibiotics will be more useful towards certain types of ailments. This is also true geographically. There are regions and cities in which certain bacteria have built up resistance to certain antibiotics, while in another area, it might be different or polar opposite all together. For instance...a certain STD in a small rural area close to me has built up resistance to one of the two antibiotics that are typically used in treatment. The same holds true for all areas of the US. There are pockets of the population where antibiotic resistance will be present in the sick. Helps to know what these are, but is hard to know without knowing good sources of information or a physician that you can discuss this with.

This is a generalization and does not account for antibiotic resistance. The theory behind the pairing of antibiotics is that one of the two will treat 70% given or take of the bacterial spectrum. The other it is paired with will treat 40-50% and will have a percentage of overlap. This is also not considering anybody with a beta lactam allergy. This is one of many types of sepsis protocol and is meant to give an idea of the seriousness and comprehensive nature of sepsis treatment. If it kills tens of thousands of people in our modern society, better believe it will be 10x worse in shtf.

Unknown source of sepsis infection-
Vanc at 25mg/kg
+
Pipercillan 4.5 g Q8hrs
OR
Cefepime 1g Q6hrs

Intra-abdominal source

Piperacillin/tazobactam 4.5g q8h
OR
Cefepime 1g q6h
+
Metronidazole 500 mg q8h

Urinary tract.

Ceftriaxone 1g IV q24h (2 grams if >80kg)

Community acquired pneumonia

Ceftriaxone 1 gram (2 grams if > 80 kg) IV q24h
+
Levofloxacin 750 mg IV q24h
OR
Azithromycin 500 mg IV q24h

Skin/soft tissue

Vancomycin IV - Preferred (initial loading dose of 25mg/kg)
OR
Daptomycin 6 mg/kg IV

Disclaimer: Not meant as medical advice.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #61
uao85
Veteran Member

Another typical medically that could be a real issue in shtf is allergic reactions. These can be as serious as a gunshot wound if no intervention is done. Doesn't take long for an anaphylactic reaction to close off your airway. Uh oh. Real trouble. Or how many people out there with high blood pressure that take lisinopril? Angioedema is just as deadly as an anaphylactic reaction and it happens without warning. I have seen people that have taken lisinopril for literally 15years and then randomly start to have angioedema and airway swelling.

First line of treatment short of epi and intubation for an adult.
50mg IV benadryl
20mg IV Pepcid
125mg IV solumedrol or Solu-cortef.
benadryl is an h1 histamine blocker, and pepcid is an h2 blocker. solumedrol is a steroid.
There are other drugs in these categories as well that will be options, but won't be as quick as an IV push.
If that doesn't work and start to mitigate symptoms within 30 minutes or if you hear stridor at any point, give 0.3ml of EPI IM fairly quickly. This is the same dose you will find in an epi pen. If you are ever curious what wheezing, stridor, or different sounds of respiratory distress sounds like, you can get sound clips out there from many different sources to listen to. Youtube is an option.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #62
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

Great posts UAO thx