Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #281
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Looking to push 6-7 miles on the bike tonight.

4-5 is becoming easy.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #282
SAIGA 5.45
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
Looking to push 6-7 miles on the bike tonight.

4-5 is becoming easy.
Go find some more inclines

That is what I am doing for my running.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #283
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183149

Do any of you guys use any forms of meditation in combination with exercise? For the last 3 months I've been trying an "out of the box" way of working around the physical obstacles my body has to lose weight and get in better shape.

When I started I couldn't touch my toes bending over, but now I can touch my head to my knee, go quarter lotus, wrap my hands around my feet, etc. I lost around 15 pounds over the course of the first 2 and a half weeks. Because of the neck, shoulder, injury bs I was told to not ever do push ups, and with this meditation thing I'm able to push 25 on 1 breath.

Because of this I'm incredibly more interested in trying any out of the box weigh to continue improving my health physically and hopefully not needing these expensive medications anymore.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
crotalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #284
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalus View Post
Do any of you guys use any forms of meditation in combination with exercise? For the last 3 months I've been trying an "out of the box" way of working around the physical obstacles my body has to lose weight and get in better shape.

When I started I couldn't touch my toes bending over, but now I can touch my head to my knee, go quarter lotus, wrap my hands around my feet, etc. I lost around 15 pounds over the course of the first 2 and a half weeks. Because of the neck, shoulder, injury bs I was told to not ever do push ups, and with this meditation thing I'm able to push 25 on 1 breath.

Because of this I'm incredibly more interested in trying any out of the box weigh to continue improving my health physically and hopefully not needing these expensive medications anymore.
Eat whole foods and move around a lot. That is about it. This is the way to improving health. I don't meditate like a monk but my workouts are my getaway. Everyone needs a way to let go of their stress. Mine happens to be physical.
Stay away from sugar and fast food. These items are a major cause of health problems in the US.
I understand you have physical limitations but it sounds like you are figuring out a way to work around them. Seems like you already have it figured out.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #285
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
Eat whole foods and move around a lot. That is about it. This is the way to improving health. I don't meditate like a monk but my workouts are my getaway. Everyone needs a way to let go of their stress. Mine happens to be physical.
Stay away from sugar and fast food. These items are a major cause of health problems in the US.
I understand you have physical limitations but it sounds like you are figuring out a way to work around them. Seems like you already have it figured out.
This isn't a real "meditation", it's backed by science. So there isn't any myth to it like with Buddhism or Hindu/Yoga stuff. It reminds me of Tummo meditation but uses cold temperature to raise metabolic rate and unload epinephrine, dopamine, testosterone, etc. With stretching, and exercise without air in the lungs after cyclic controlled hyperventilation, instead of mantra's and all the other religious/spiritual stuff thrown in.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

"Voluntary activation of the sympathetic nervous system and attenuation of the innate immune response in humans."

Quote:
...both the autonomic nervous system and innate immune system were regarded as systems that cannot be voluntarily influenced. The present study demonstrates that, through practicing techniques learned in a short-term training program, the sympathetic nervous system and immune system can indeed be voluntarily influenced. Healthy volunteers practicing the learned techniques exhibited profound increases in the release of epinephrine, which in turn led to increased production of anti-inflammatory mediators and subsequent dampening of the proinflammatory cytokine response elicited by intravenous administration of bacterial endotoxin. This study could have important implications for the treatment of a variety of conditions associated with excessive or persistent inflammation, especially autoimmune diseases...
Where I've seen such a rapid improvement on my health and the ability to do more then I was before I'm a lot more open to different ways of going about it. I noticed that once I started the Wim Hof method my diet/cravings changed. I stopped losing blood through digestion which is really nice.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Last edited by crotalus; 06-16-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added quote from study
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #286
SAIGA 5.45
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalus View Post
This isn't a real "meditation", it's backed by science. So there isn't any myth to it like with Buddhism or Hindu/Yoga stuff. It reminds me of Tummo meditation but uses cold temperature to raise metabolic rate and unload epinephrine, dopamine, testosterone, etc. With stretching, and exercise without air in the lungs after cyclic controlled hyperventilation, instead of mantra's and all the other religious/spiritual stuff thrown in.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

"Voluntary activation of the sympathetic nervous system and attenuation of the innate immune response in humans."

Where I've seen such a rapid improvement on my health and the ability to do more then I was before I'm a lot more open to different ways of going about it. I noticed that once I started the Wim Hof method my diet/cravings changed. I stopped losing blood through digestion which is really nice.

One thing I have really started doing for recovery is a 10-15 minute cold shower after workouts, really helps get that lactic acid out of the muscles and speed up recovery.

And as hot as it is I quite enjoy it now so if shtf I am good to go, who needs hot water anyway.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #287
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
One thing I have really started doing for recovery is a 10-15 minute cold shower after workouts, really helps get that lactic acid out of the muscles and speed up recovery.

And as hot as it is I quite enjoy it now so if shtf I am good to go, who needs hot water anyway.
The "method" he uses takes you from slow cold showers, to ice baths because the cold increases the strength of the veins and creates stronger blood flow. The breathing thing is almost what you do naturally when you first enter very old water (inhaling in very hard and deeply and exhaling quickly). When I would get my infusions done I would always get these huge ginormous bruises so they were going to put in a port. Now that I do the cold showers, with the breathing technique and the stretching I don't get bruises anymore. The breathing is what increases the oxygen levels in the blood to 100% oxygen saturation.

I saw this and it is what made me want to try it. I want to be like this:

I don't mean to take the thread off topic, generally and genuinely interested in improving myself more.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Last edited by crotalus; 06-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #288
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

Isn't it just called cold shock muscle therapy?

I wouldn't mind doing that or the sauna but I aint got time for all that junk. Maybe if I sell a business to Amazon for a couple billion I could get around to it.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #289
SAIGA 5.45
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post

I wouldn't mind doing that or the sauna but I aint got time for all that junk. Maybe if I sell a business to Amazon for a couple billion I could get around to it.
The cold water causes your heart to immediately start pulling blood back in to heat it back up to proper temperature, when it does this it pulls all the lactic acid from your muscles with it.

Provided you are hydrating and stretching properly, if not then that ain't gonna help at all.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #290
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post

No, the closest thing to it is Tummo meditation I think. The thing that those Tibetan monks do up in the Himalayas and melt the snow around them. It's got a lot of mysticism in it, and no one has time for it, not even me. This is the only thing I have found that has actual scientific and medical studies done around it, and "proven".

I think it has more to do with combustion from breathing and flooding the blood with oxygen. It makes things like pushups effortless, or with the cold it makes you stop shivering and heat yourself up to dry off.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 AM   #291
WAguns

AKaholic #: 183147

wow im glad I found this thread, ive just been getting back into shape after a back injury that put me out for 12 months. started training again since Feb 1st, have been making solid progress. just about to hit the numbers I was at before my injury, it feels good.
WAguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #292
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Go find some more inclines

That is what I am doing for my running.
Oh, there's plenty of them. I just do an extra lap to hit them all again.

It's definitely good to see the progress. The first day I thought a 2mi round trip was the end of me. Now 6+ isn't too bad, even with my son in the cart behind me. It's usually time constraints that limit me. I haven't had to used reduced (as in reduced effort) gears as much either.

In any case it's done wonders for my cardio, and especially helped in my weight training as well.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #293
Str8liner
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174699

Well I finally hit my goal of being sub 200 this AM. 199 when I weighed myself awhile ago. It has been 30 years since I weighed less than 200 lbs I bet. I was going to stop around 200 but I think I can still lose another 10lbs.

I guess this is where the anorexia kicks in lol.
Str8liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #294
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
Well I finally hit my goal of being sub 200 this AM. 199 when I weighed myself awhile ago. It has been 30 years since I weighed less than 200 lbs I bet. I was going to stop around 200 but I think I can still lose another 10lbs.

I guess this is where the anorexia kicks in lol.
Nice! Keep it up. I recently moved and will be starting a new job very soon. My routine is way out of whack right now, as is my diet. I'm sure I'm up ten pounds. Can't wait to get back into a routine again.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #295
Str8liner
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
Nice! Keep it up. I recently moved and will be starting a new job very soon. My routine is way out of whack right now, as is my diet. I'm sure I'm up ten pounds. Can't wait to get back into a routine again.
I know sometimes it is tough. Getting up early in the AM and getting my exercise out of the way really has helped me. One thing I do to keep motivated is weight myself each day first thing in the AM. Seeing the weight come off and even maintaining your weight weekly is a great motivator. Especially if you have gained, it motivates you to get your ass back on track lol. And this might sound corny, but when I am changing clothes or getting a shower I look at myself in the mirror. Just to remind myself I still am not happy with the way I look and there is work to be done.
Str8liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #296
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

I recently moved from Michigan to Tennessee. Just got back into running after getting settled in. Holy crap. Running outside down here is a whole different ballgame than up north.