Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #106
mason548

AKaholic #: 191450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
Your totally right.
With us living 10 minutes apart, were the first ones who better run like hell to the secondary location
10 minutes apart eh?
may I ask what locality? Do you shoot outside? share the info !
mason548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #107
mason548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
Yep and I'm smack dap right in the middle of one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country. I live in Hurst which is in between Ft. Worth and Dallas. The metroplex has over 6.5 millon people. That's just Dallas and Tarrant county. I do have a get out plan but who knows if it could actually be executed. Hopefully a true SHTF never happens. It would take a series of really bad events to cause that. Oh and btw, an Alien invasion is MUCH more likely than a zombie apocalypse
I love state of Texas...the good news is you have plenty of options and can go in any direction and you will be in a 'rural' area in no time!
I am 15 minutes outside chicago but in suburbia-hell. I would be in a very uncompromising situation when the zombie apocylypse/ alien invasion happens
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #108
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason548 View Post
10 minutes apart eh?
may I ask what locality? Do you shoot outside? share the info !
I live right by O'Hare.
I have a good friend who's property we go to target shoot.
Theres also the range in Laport Indiana.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #109
mason548

Quote:
I live right by O'Hare.
I have a good friend who's property we go to target shoot.
Theres also the range in Laport Indiana.
I shoot at Sycamore Sportsman club (open to public) however my cousin who works at marengo gunss just got some land in rockford area where hes been shooting. I will be taking some trips there very shortly.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #110
Mahdimadness76

AKaholic #: 178163

Marengo guns is a great store, better than anything out in Rockford.

Just don't hang out in the actual city of Rockford too much!
Mahdimadness76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #111
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdimadness76 View Post
Marengo guns is a great store, better than anything out in Rockford.

Just don't hang out in the actual city of Rockford too much!
Buddy of mine just bought property out there.
I shoot with him, gonna have to check this place out.

Need a good outdoor range 100-300 yards.
Buffalo Rock in Ottawa sucks to drive to

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #112
Mahdimadness76

There's some good farm land out here,... just know where you are when your in the city... it's not like Chicago where the gangs control entire neighborhoods...for the most part... here it's very chaotic, lots of hybrids and that brings a lot of trouble...stay away from the west side of the river and the midtown district and you'll most likely be fine.

With that said make sure you get an gyro at uncle nicks and some fries from beef a roo... if you don't mind the hood, stop by a small shop on the south side called Zammutoes,... used to be mob owned (now more soul food in a Mexican area)but they still got the real deal granitas... you'll find lemon seeds in it if you order a lemon flavor... it's on Kent street.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #113
mason548

Quote:
There's some good farm land out here,... just know where you are when your in the city... it's not like Chicago where the gangs control entire neighborhoods...for the most part... here it's very chaotic, lots of hybrids and that brings a lot of trouble...stay away from the west side of the river and the midtown district and you'll most likely be fine.

With that said make sure you get an gyro at uncle nicks and some fries from beef a roo... if you don't mind the hood, stop by a small shop on the south side called Zammutoes,... used to be mob owned (now more soul food in a Mexican area)but they still got the real deal granitas... you'll find lemon seeds in it if you order a lemon flavor... it's on Kent street.
When i say 'rockford area' I mean land that really is actually closer to 'rockton' . I have / had alot of family in rockford area for years. I remember my grandma picking up food friom beefaroo, very good stuff.
As far as Rockford itself? You're right, its quite sketchy in parts. Rockford can throw you off because its so stretched out . One min you're in farming area and next you're in a dump. I do not know the truth to this, but based on population Rockford does have this little detail :

http://rockfordscanner.com/2016/09/r...ty-in-america/

#1 most dangerous city in the US for populations between 100,000-200,000K?
I was surprised to read that
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #114
mason548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Buddy of mine just bought property out there.
I shoot with him, gonna have to check this place out.

Need a good outdoor range 100-300 yards.
Buffalo Rock in Ottawa sucks to drive to

Yeah, I heard Buffalo Range was pretty cool place. They let you rapid Fire at the pit and its all 'Female owned' etc etc..
However, considering how much i spend in other parts of shooting for ammo and parts etc, I have a hard time justifying 30.00 to shoot . Thats higher than indoor places. Where i go at Sycamore Sportsman club, its 10.00 to shoot all day. No, they wont let you rapid fire and the furthest it goes out is 100 yards but there are berms to shoot out of or stationary targets so it works for me.

Honestly, if you can find someone who will let you shoot on their property, this is best scenario...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #115
Mahdimadness76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason548 View Post
When i say 'rockford area' I mean land that really is actually closer to 'rockton' . I have / had alot of family in rockford area for years. I remember my grandma picking up food friom beefaroo, very good stuff.
As far as Rockford itself? You're right, its quite sketchy in parts. Rockford can throw you off because its so stretched out . One min you're in farming area and next you're in a dump. I do not know the truth to this, but based on population Rockford does have this little detail :

http://rockfordscanner.com/2016/09/r...ty-in-america/

#1 most dangerous city in the US for populations between 100,000-200,000K?
I was surprised to read that
Yeah, I grew up off Auburn Street and Rockton ave. on the northwest side, bought my first home over there too...still have family and friends that live over... these days I'm living it up in Machesney Park!... Rockton is a very nice area, you ever go to the dairy haus?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #116
MikeSantor

AKaholic #: 178535

For SHTF in Illinois I have my 14.5" SCAR17 with aimpoint. I can hit out to 200 yards with it If I need to but odds are, where Im at, I would never even have a clear shot out that far. It is short enough to not be too horrible for CQC but I still get the penetration I may need with the 308.

Im currently looking at building a 10" pistol AK with a shockwave brace for a true CQC application.

I would love an SBR SCAR17 but for now I get to just cross the boarder and play with my Indiana friends SBRed and Canned 17s....
MikeSantor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #117
mason548

Quote:
Yeah, I grew up off Auburn Street and Rockton ave. on the northwest side, bought my first home over there too...still have family and friends that live over... these days I'm living it up in Machesney Park!... Rockton is a very nice area, you ever go to the dairy haus?

never been to dairy haus. I like Rockton. Its open, clean and quiet. My uncle owns Rockton Automotive so sometimes ill take a trip if i want some discounted work on my car.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #118
Mahdimadness76

Dairy haus is the home made ice cream shop in downtown Rockton, extremely popular place to go, ice cream is top tier.... if you go to Rockford, try prairie street brewery.... a good restaurant on the river downtown.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #119
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSantor View Post
For SHTF in Illinois I have my 14.5" SCAR17 with aimpoint. I can hit out to 200 yards with it If I need to but odds are, where Im at, I would never even have a clear shot out that far. It is short enough to not be too horrible for CQC but I still get the penetration I may need with the 308.

Im currently looking at building a 10" pistol AK with a shockwave brace for a true CQC application.

I would love an SBR SCAR17 but for now I get to just cross the boarder and play with my Indiana friends SBRed and Canned 17s....
Mike what ammo do you run and what would be your first choice in SHTF? What do u think of the SOST Mk 319 130gr Rd?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #120
MikeSantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Mike what ammo do you run and what would be your first choice in SHTF? What do u think of the SOST Mk 319 130gr Rd?
Out of the 3k+ rounds I have through this 17, I would say 98% was ZQI M80 ball. Its dirt cheap for brass 308 and I get VERY close to 1MOA out of it which is way way accurate enough for a combat rifle. I have the ZQI stacked deep. Never shot the SOST Mk 319 130gr Rd before...
Old 04-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #121
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
just know where you are when your in the city... it's not like Chicago where the gangs control entire neighborhoods..
Gangs do not control the whole city, just certain parts.
It very easy to know where gangs are in Chicago.
No such thing as White gangs anymore so stay in White neighborhoods.
Its that simple.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #122
Mahdimadness76

Outside of downtown and the burbs, gangs control about 90% of the city.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #123
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I must respectfully disagree with you on that
Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #124
MikeSantor

Quote:
No
Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #125
Mahdimadness76

Well, I don't know where you guys are talking about then... maybe your idea of downtown isn't where my idea of downtown is.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #126
MikeSantor

Yea, what do I know about the City. I was just born and raised on the South side of Chicago and now live 4 minutes south of the Chicago boarder....

Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #127
Mahdimadness76

I don't know what to tell you... take out downtown and you have the lakefront out to the river and north to edge water and a few parts west of there, parts of the northwest out by ohare.... I don't know of too many places on the actual south side of the city that gangs dont claim... Ive been working with gangs and mentoring programs for 20 years... I know cops that work the south side of Chicago... maybe not 90% but close to that...

what areas on the south side are you talking about anyways that don't have gangs working in those neighborhoods?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #128
MikeSantor

Quote:
what areas on the south side are you talking about anyways that don't have gangs working in those neighborhoods?
You are now backtracking on what you said.

First it was 90% of the whole city, now its 90% of the south side. I dont care enough what you think to argue but what you originally said, 90% of the whole city is controlled by gangs, is not true.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #129
Mahdimadness76

I said outside of downtown and the burbs... not backtracking anything.

I asked specifically about the south side because well it's the south side. The Northside got a lot more land not gang related because there's a lot more money up north and on the lakefront.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #130
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Well, I don't know where you guys are talking about then... maybe your idea of downtown isn't where my idea of downtown is.
I live on the far northwest side of the city and have all my life.
The N/W side of the city takes up a good chunk of land and has been generally gang free since i could remember.
Downtown and the yuppie parts of the city are also generally gang free.
Between just the 3 parts of the city i mentioned, thats like 40% of the city right there. Now you also have parts of the south side that are gang free.
Long story short, the gangs here in Chicago dont rule the city as the media would have one believe.
Now the westside of the city is gang central and is outta control, but it doesn't spill over, they stay within their hoods and kill their own.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #131
Mahdimadness76

I agree the north west and lake front has the most gang free land... downtown too which is why I mentioned that... but there are very few neighborhoods on the south side not affected... you can look at maps of murders,(yes not all murders are gang related) then overlay maps of shootings, overlay maps of drug activity, cross reference chicagos gang book and get a pretty good picture of where shit is... then actually go into these neighborhoods and not be hard to find them... hard to find tags, go to the schools and find them, very few Chicago high schools don't have active gangs, land is at a premium there... even Albany park and the rogers park areas have been having a lot more problems...
Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #132
mason548

Quote:
The N/W side of the city takes up a good chunk of land and has been generally gang free since i could remember.
Between just the 3 parts of the city i mentioned, thats like 40% of the city right there. Now you also have parts of the south side that are gang free.
Long story short, the gangs here in Chicago dont rule the city as the media would have one believe.
Now the westside of the city is gang central and is outta control, but it doesn't spill over, they stay within their hoods and kill their own.

The Westside is worse than Iraq. West Englewood is no place for anyone ..well SOME people but not most.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #133
LiftedTacoma

AKaholic #: 190718

Quote:
I would beg to differ. All you would have to is pick up the Gang Book from the Chicago Crime Commission to see who's crawling around your neighborhood. To think that those areas are free of gangs is pretty shallow thinking.
LiftedTacoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #134
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedTacoma View Post
I would beg to differ. All you would have to is pick up the Gang Book from the Chicago Crime Commission to see who's crawling around your neighborhood. To think that those areas are free of gangs is pretty shallow thinking.
I own that book. While it has some great info, it has a number of incorrect assumptions.
While growing up i was (and still am) friends with guys involved in that lifestyle.
While the two gangs they are/were in are no longer 'street active', they still have ties to the street. Listening to them talk is a wealth of information. I know my hood, Edison Park has zero gangs. Same with the surrounding neighborhoods.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #135
Ed in Alaska
Senior Master-Bitcher

AKaholic #: 183760

I grew up in East St. Louis and lived all over, courtesy of military service, and I retired to Alaska. I used to build ARs, and I don't see the hater comments, its a fine system, and a fine caliber, for what it was designed to do. AND, if SHTF there will surely be plenty of them laying around for parts. HK 93 types would be a good SHTF rifle system, because they are designed to run shitty, the dirtier the better it seems, and if you want to screw it up just clean the damned thing. (LMFAO)

I love AKs too, but for SHTF if you are not sitting on at least 4,000 rounds of 5.45 then you ought to be holding a 7.62x39 which is available everywhere, and also likely to be laying all over the place. As the pros always say "amateurs worry about tactics, professionals worry about logistics". I own a couple 74s, and some ARs, and have at least enough parts to assemble 6-8 ARs in a matter of minutes. I'd use the 74s first because I know I'm going to run out of ammo eventually. I have LOTS of 5.56 laying around. Also a Galil type rifle in 5.56 would be nice.

And in the end , if you live (not a presumption), you'll be using an AR, because they are everywhere.

As for the 7.62x51 or 7.62.54R, that is a specific requirement and I have some of that too, but I do not stock it like 5.56 or 5.45. I just don't. If you need to make a statement at a long range then .300WinMag does that too. The thing about making long range statements is that if I am shooting at you with that then you probably have a means to make me pay dearly for having done it. On the other hand a nice long range weapon with a can would be nice.

Thucydides
History of the Peloponnesian War (ca 410 )

" Being a professional I prepare for a technically proficient, well trained, well equipped, and well supplied enemy, but I would prefer a poorly trained idiot with a shitty weapon and no logistical support."

4/80 - 5/08 : U.S. Navy

Hooo-yaaaah!
Ed in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #136
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
The Thompson-Center decision by the US Supreme Court set forth a legal test to determine if a "group of parts" was legal or an SBR in "broken down condition". As long as there is both a legal and illegal way to assemble a group of parts, the ,GOV must assume the possessor only intends to assemble them in the legal configuration, barring actual evidence they have been illegally assembled.
That's AWESOME knowledge....but......

I Would NOT put your faith in every States Attorney / District Attorney and overzealous
cop knowing and/or honoring that case law. I have seen people get charged for some things
that would boggle your mind if you knew the circumstances, and it's ALWAYS up to the
defendant to FUND a defense.
Bench or Jury trial, and you're in a commie city like NYC,
Chicago, LA, DC, N'awlins, = kangaroo court.

The reason why so many people end up in prison, they can't fund a proper defense against
ridiculous charges. If you have any kind of record, it's even easier to get charges to turn
into convictions. It's a sad reality you must accept, and understand. Knowledge is power,
but unfortunately there's a bazillion case laws out there , not everyone is aware of them.

Don't assume you can't be charged......is all I'm saying.

AK Files custom search
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #137
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

Quote:
I live right by O'Hare.
You're right by Cumberland IIRC weren't you??

We should get some of the local guys out for a good shoot.
Hard to find any decent outdoor ranges nearby tho.

I would prefer the IL Rifle Association one in Kankakee but that's a hell of a cruise.

AK Files custom search
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 PM   #138
Estonburdick

AKaholic #: 186987

Op I run a 16" bcm ar with a vortex strike eagle as my SHTF rifle. I also have several palmetto ars I like and a 10.5 ar pistol as well as a wasr 10, a psak build, and a c39v2. I feel the most confident with the bcm though. I wish I would've gone with a 14.5 with pinned and welded brake though.
Estonburdick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #139
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
You're right by Cumberland IIRC weren't you??

We should get some of the local guys out for a good shoot.
Hard to find any decent outdoor ranges nearby tho.

I would prefer the IL Rifle Association one in Kankakee but that's a hell of a cruise.
Im not far off of Cumberland, right by the Park Ridge boarder.
Im game to go out to a range.