Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
45bravo3

AKaholic #: 190782
Default Blugarian Polymer mags? what are they worth?

Hi everyone. Got these mags with the SGL-21 i just got. Was wondering if they are anything worth keeping or should I sell them off for spending cash? If I should sell them, what should I expect to get for them? Thanks for the help.[/URL

Last edited by 45bravo3; 02-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
45bravo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Those look to be the metal reinforced ones. Think they are commercial mags and not surplus. Mixed reviews seems like. They make 40 rounders also. You can probably find them for $13-$19 each online in places. I wouldn't mind having one just for the hell of it. I'm sure they would do well as range mags......and remember....the Bulgarians made the ((10)) mags so I figure they know a little bit about what they are doing. If you have six as in your pics.......save a couple and sell the rest IMO. That is of course if you have plenty of other 7.62x39 mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
...Humans, for the most part, are fucking stupid.
Ram Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
ksbsnowowl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177600

I have the 5.45 versions of these mags. They feed and function fine, and do fine at the range. I wouldn't trust my life to them, due to the non-metal lugs.

That said, the 5.45 mags make great "refurb kits" for surplus 5.45 mags. The floorplate, spring, follower, and follower retaining plate are all interchangeable into surplus bakelite, plum, and Bulgarian polymer (Circle-10 and Circle-21) mags (I would assume True Blacks as well, but haven't tested it myself).

I also found that the springs are stronger, and a thicker gauge of steel than those found in surplus 5.45 mags I've purchased.

So, in my estimation, it's probably worth keeping one or two of them around for spare parts, to refurbish any surplus mags you get that have sticky followers or bad springs. I have a couple Romanian mags that had followers that would bind up, but worked fine once I replaced the follower with a polymer Tapco follower from mags that came with a few of my rifles. And those floorplates will work with 7.62 Bakelite mags, or ((10)) waffle mags, if you ever get one that's in bad shape and rusted to hell.

For what it's worth, CDNN sells these exact mags new for $12.
ksbsnowowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
45bravo3

Awesome! Thanks guys! So basically they are just Bulgarian commercial magazines. Nothing to get too hemmed-up about. I have a bunch of spares but not exactly an excessive amount. I've got 10 Korean 20 rounders, 10 Hungarian Tanker mags and these 6. Ill probably just keep them for range mags and what not.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't sitting on some crazy fluke gold mine is all. LOL. I saw in another thread that some certain Romanian 20rnd mag sells from anywhere between $80-$200!!! That and I made a bad buy to start off my AK collection, so I've learned that while I'm learning the in's and out's of AK's.....ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE FILES FIRST!!! LOL
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Raiderfan001
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181229

Can anyone answer if these are made by the same place that makes the Bulgarian "bullet" mags? Are they basically the same except without the bullets on the side? I've seen those as low as $8 per mag.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
SAIGA 5.45
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 174648

Pretty much the same plastic, these at least have metal feed lips.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
TX_1821
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 185967

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
Meh, ISD made commercial mags. I can buy 3 Yugo surplus mags for the price of 2 of these.. no thanks.
This.
I guess get em just for kicks if you want man

TX_1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
45bravo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_1821 View Post
This.
I guess get em just for kicks if you want man
I already own them. Came with a gun I traded a buddy for. Just wanted to see what they were worth is all.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
atxtj

AKaholic #: 164145

So those have metal reinforced lugs, partial reinforcement of the spines, and metal in the feed lips. They are not as strong as circle 10 mags, but much better that the other commercial bulgy mags. They were only imported one time as far as I can tell. I have four of them and use them all the time for carbine matches, so I'm not really easy on them. They have held up just fine, but I wouldn't got to war with them.
atxtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
ksbsnowowl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtj View Post
So those have metal reinforced lugs,
No.
Quote:
partial reinforcement of the spines,
Wrong.
Quote:
and metal in the feed lips.
This one is true.

Quote:
They are not as strong as circle 10 mags, but much better that the other commercial bulgy mags. They were only imported one time as far as I can tell. I have four of them and use them all the time for carbine matches, so I'm not really easy on them. They have held up just fine, but I wouldn't got to war with them.
I'm guessing you are thinking of these mags.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
atxtj

Nope, I know exactly what I'm talking about. They were imported on a one time run back in 2013, no more came into the country due to cracking around the spines. Ask Robert at KVAR, he'll confirm it. If you'd like I can post some pictures of magnets hanging off the mags I actually own.
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/08...k-47-magazine/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
No.

Wrong.

This one is true.

I'm guessing you are thinking of these mags.

Last edited by atxtj; 02-08-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
atxtj

The OPs mags appear to have a metal rear lugs in that pic, do they not? My mags have painted metal rear lugs, other than that they are identical to non reinforced mags, the only other way to identify them is with a magnet.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
ksbsnowowl
Veteran Member

Quote:
The OPs mags appear to have a metal rear lugs in that pic, do they not?
No, they don't appear to be metal.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #14
atxtj

Ah, well, then I am wrong! Guess you don't get to be one of the cool kids, OP.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #15
45bravo3

Nope. Not with these mags anyway. LOL. But i try to make up for it with my healthy stock of Hungarian Tanker mags. LOL (love me some Hungarian Tanker mags! Color me addicted!) (also, the 10 korean 20rounders weren't bad either...but Hungarian Tankers still take the cake!!)

Also, Just to clarify, the mags in this post have:
Metal reinforced feed lips
Plastic only rear lug
Plastic only front lug
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

They are also made of a brittle polycarbonate plastic, instead of a fiber-filled polymer.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
They are also made of a brittle polycarbonate plastic, instead of a fiber-filled polymer.
I thought those were the Polish Tantal polymer mags that were brittle due to the formula.
The pics obviously show the rust on the metal inside the feed lips. So they don't have reinforced front and rear lugs. That's cool. At least they aint Tapcos right?
The magnet test is pretty fool proof.....so long as you don't check with ammo in the mag (steel cased ammo).
Another interesting thing that I've come across is the US Palm mags (hear me out). The US Palm mags are reinforced in the front and rear lug areas and they don't pass the magnet test. Know why? Because they used stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
...Humans, for the most part, are fucking stupid.
Ram Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #18
slapshut
MAG WHORE

AKaholic #: 165205

The magazine spring can throw magnet tests off too. If anybodies looking----

$8.85 AK-47 Magazine - 7.62X39 30 Round - Bulgarian Polymer

https://www.wideners.com/accessories...earm-magazines
Old 02-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #19
INDYK
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 149930

My early 2003 saiga 103 slab has enforcements just like that M47ba,
I didn't know the front lug was steel untill i hit metal, while filing down the front lug,
I didnt know those m47 or op's "enforced" bulgy mags exhisted.

Last edited by INDYK; 02-11-2017 at 02:03 AM.
INDYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #20
SAIGA 5.45
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDYK View Post
My early 2003 saiga 103 slab has enforcements just like that M47ba,
I didn't know the front lug was steel untill i hit metal, while filing down the front lug,
I didnt know those m47 or op's "enforced" bulgy mags exhisted.

I had a 10 rounder like this.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #21
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 179329

they are good range mags, never had any hiccups with them..just dont drop them in freezing temps fully loaded they will crack.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Sent from 52 area
genxgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #22
Cold_Storage
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45bravo3 View Post
Also, Just to clarify, the mags in this post have:
Metal reinforced feed lips
Plastic only rear lug
Plastic only front lug
Yes they have been on the market for over 10 years. They are the same as the "bullet" mags but without the stupid bullets. Probably better than Tapco or Magpul due the metal feed lips, but not anywhere near as good as a Circle 10 Waffle. $8-$10 mag. At least they look cooler than any other range mag, so there is that.
Cold_Storage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #23
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Keep in mind that the metal feed-lip reinforcement on these is somewhere between a soda can and a soup can in thickness.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #24
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Popped a 40 rd bulgie bullet mag in nhm91 tonight,

And front lug/catch broke...

Yep, range/fun shooting crap now...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:45 AM   #25
nighttrainnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170778

They are stronger than the Polish Radom 11 mags, but similar in the fact that both companies had less common versions that were Fully Steel Reinforced that looked identical yet was well with cheap plastic and steel (which results in them being Hit & Miss depending the mag, resulting in hairline cracking from the lugs normally.)

In 2012, KVAR brought in "Only 1 batch" of Fully reinforced ones (Steel front and rear lugs) and due to fatigue cracking, they never imported anymore so 99% of the ones on the market are Fully Polymer with ONLY Steel Lined feedlips.

Due to the "Steel front spine" in a pic above, I'm curious (would have to check mine that I scored last year from an owner) but on mine you can see the steel Lug housings, same as feedlips, silver with a circle where it was stamped in.

Here's an Example of the magazine which was ONLY available at KVAR in July 2012: (nomatter how many people claim they got them from CDNN or nomatter how many companies claim they have the "steel reinforced" ones, theirs are ONLY the feedlips.)

(Summer 2012, NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

Retail Price: $19.99

""You may have seen a version of this magazine around the internet. The difference between them is the other version only had metal reinforcement around the lips. That version as well as other mags that are all polymer can crack.

Much like the beloved Circle 10 magazines from Arsenal Co. of Bulgaria, these new magazines feature the steel reinforcements in the spine, lips, and locking lugs that have made circle 10 magazines popular.""

KVAR's Thread on it Below

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117536

Last edited by nighttrainnc; 02-17-2017 at 01:03 AM.
nighttrainnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #26
atxtj

I have four of theses I ordered directly from KVAR back in 2012, I run them at carbine matches pretty hard and I have yet to have one crack on me. I keep waiting for one to fail, but they don't... I guess I want to see what point they will fail at. I actually really like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrainnc View Post
They are stronger than the Polish Radom 11 mags, but similar in the fact that both companies had less common versions that were Fully Steel Reinforced that looked identical yet was well with cheap plastic and steel (which results in them being Hit & Miss depending the mag, resulting in hairline cracking from the lugs normally.)

In 2012, KVAR brought in "Only 1 batch" of Fully reinforced ones (Steel front and rear lugs) and due to fatigue cracking, they never imported anymore so 99% of the ones on the market are Fully Polymer with ONLY Steel Lined feedlips.

Due to the "Steel front spine" in a pic above, I'm curious (would have to check mine that I scored last year from an owner) but on mine you can see the steel Lug housings, same as feedlips, silver with a circle where it was stamped in.

Here's an Example of the magazine which was ONLY available at KVAR in July 2012: (nomatter how many people claim they got them from CDNN or nomatter how many companies claim they have the "steel reinforced" ones, theirs are ONLY the feedlips.)

(Summer 2012, NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

Retail Price: $19.99

""You may have seen a version of this magazine around the internet. The difference between them is the other version only had metal reinforcement around the lips. That version as well as other mags that are all polymer can crack.

Much like the beloved Circle 10 magazines from Arsenal Co. of Bulgaria, these new magazines feature the steel reinforcements in the spine, lips, and locking lugs that have made circle 10 magazines popular.""

KVAR's Thread on it Below

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117536
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #27
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

This is pathetic,

Here then gone and the cheesy plastic shite replaces it.... "F" you very much whoever did that...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #28
atxtj

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzertruppe View Post
This is pathetic,

Here then gone and the cheesy plastic shite replaces it.... "F" you very much whoever did that...

panzertruppe

Robert @ KVAR basically said the backlash on these mags cracking caused them to not want to re-import them, people were pissed. I don't know though, they have worked well for me.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #29
nighttrainnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Robert @ KVAR basically said the backlash on these mags cracking caused them to not want to re-import them, people were pissed. I don't know though, they have worked well for me.
I read the same but anyone I've ever spoke to on a forum who owns them said they are Great and I actually have never heard of them cracking from anyone, yet Robert from KVAR said that the amount of folks wanting refunds made it not worth getting anymore!

Maybe some folks did torture tests on them and complained, not sure.

I know the polish version that says ONLY "7,62x39" and NOT "Radom 11" were fully steel reinforced but were extremely Hit & Miss. Like 90% were crap even when New.

I bought a couple for collecting purposes (second hand) that had no cracks around a year ago, yet I've read about people buying them new and them having hairline cracks, and the craziest is them actually "Self Destructing" when not even in use!!!

One case, a guy bought one brand new, looked at it in his safe a year or 2 later and it was in pieces! Comes from the plastic being weak or too thing by the steel, and when the steel flexes it cracks the plastic. Hell, the front of the followers on the ones I got were a tad warped so I put in some commercial bulgy followers.

I understood how the steel starts fatigue/pressure cracking once I got a "Clear- Bulgy ((10)) proto" mag. The plastic is almost as thin as paint over the steel front spine, so the cracking would start there, and then grow into the thicker areas. The nicest specimens are the ones where the springs were removed or the springs were cut down to not apply any tension for use. Just a matter of shitty plastic in these cases and steel being inside is worse than it being solid plastic, the reason the Polish & Bulgy commercial mags are solid plastic now.

Now that I mention this, lemme go check my Polish mags out and make sure they are still in 1 piece...
Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #30
slapshut
MAG WHORE

What was the cost of these VS the circle tens at the same time frame?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #31
nuckldust
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9533

I thought Poly mags were never issued to Bulgarian military, atleast in the 7.62x39? The waffles, slabs etc were all for export. I do know the NATO spec AK's they produce they would have them as a military issued magazine. Anyway that's what I recall from back when.
nuckldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #32
nighttrainnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshut View Post
What was the cost of these VS the circle tens at the same time frame?
Circle 10's were the same price in 2012 ($45) to my recollection, or atleast 40 bucks, so a $20 difference for the "1 run" fully steel reinforced version which apparently was a nightmare for KVAR's CS department but anyone I've spoken said they are great! I have 1 but it's just for my bulgy collection.

Most folks that have them do not even know the difference unless they exclusively saw them in the 2012 Thread I posted above from KVAR and bought them likely, being the version with only steel in the feedlips were like $8-$12 at CDNN at the same time (and CDNN still swears that they have, or had HAD them before selling out after the 2013 panic... From the info I gathered at the time, they were just confused being the description to the mostly plastic version being "steel reinforced" but referred to the feedlips so it gets confusing.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #33
slapshut
MAG WHORE

Thanks nighttrainnc.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #34
nighttrainnc
Curio & Relic

No problem man ^^^

And if anyone searches for the "M-47BA", it will be the "Bullet Magazine" (commercial mag with shapes of Bullets on the side of the mag).

Just a heads up so if anyone finds that product # in stock, they do not order thinking it will be the very scarce version mentioned in this thread.