Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
hairygreek

AKaholic #: 196545
Default Help converting Vepr 5.45 20" bbl to RPK-74

Hello all. I had an idea of turning a regular Vepr 5.45 with 20" barrel to an RPK-74. I have most the conversion parts but need some help with putting a bipod onto the barrel.

I've heard the front sight is attached very strongly onto the barrel. I know people have taken them off but I don't really know anyone with tools to do it.

So i am wondering if it's a better idea to cut the bipod collar in half and try to reattach it onto barrel. It's a Yugo RPK bipod. I don't have welding capability or know anyone either, I could try JB weld with other pieces of metal to be functional.

Also I know the RPK rear sight has a protrusion that interlocks with the bipod collar, to limit lateral movement. But I wonder how the bipod doesn't move forward and backward on barrel?

I think also the bipod is close or exact fit on barrel, let's just assume it fits.

Thanks for your help.

hairygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
rstrobel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167348

I'm not sure what the measurements are, but one of two things need to happen:

1. (most likely) the barrel needs to be removed and turned down so that the bipod will fit behind the front sight
-or-
2. the bipod or barrel needs to be shimmed so it will fit tightly on the barrel

you will need a new RPK-74 front sight as well. a standard RPK sight may work, you will have to research that.

JB Weld will not work, no. I would expect to spend probably $300-$500 at least for the parts, shipping, and labor for a professional to do what you want. Even then you're going to have a bubbaed build. Measure and see if you will have interference between the closed bipod and the handguard.

If you want a bipod, I would suggest using the harris variety and attaching it in some other way... the Russians have started doing that with their latest designs
rstrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
hairygreek

It's not a professional build. I don't mind if it's kinda ghetto. I was going to attach something behind/on the standard front sight.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
HOG76
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 158773

Just go full Bubba, duct tape that shit on there!
HOG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Imprezah

AKaholic #: 182620

You need an rpk front sight block in order to limit the left-right rotation of the bipod, so if your going to do this, you'd need to take that fsb off no matter what.

As mentioned, you'll need to remove the barrel and turn down the area behind the fsb for the bipod mount to go onto.

You'd also need to shorten the legs of the bipod in order for it to fold up just in front of the handguard. I'm assuming you are using an rpk style bolt on hand guard retainer?

Last edited by Imprezah; 06-13-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Imprezah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Either do it classy and send it off, or do it without screwing the gun up.

Maybe take something like an RS Regulate BM-2, mount the pic to the bottom and attach something like a harris bipod to it.

Just an idea.

Join the GOA
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
hairygreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezah View Post
You need an rpk front sight block in order to limit the left-right rotation of the bipod, so if your going to do this, you'd need to take that fsb off no matter what.

As mentioned, you'll need to remove the barrel and turn down the area behind the fsb for the bipod mounto to go onto.

You'd also need to shorten the legs of the bipod in order for it to gold up just in front of the handguard. I'm assuming you are using an too style bolt on hand guard retainer?
I was thinking use a drill/tap on the old FSB and put a metal piece to limit the rotation. Sort of like bullet guide.

I can shorten the bipod legs, doesn't seem too hard.

Yes I have a bolt on retainer.

I didn't consider if the bipod was in turned down area on barrel... I will look into finding some more advanced help.