Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Gabrassfisher

AKaholic #: 196546
Default Good deal? SAM7sf for Polytech Mak90

Hey guys, have a offer to trade my nib Arsenal sam7sf for a Polytech scrubbed AK47 to Mak90 caught in customs gun. Its a kbi, oval 386, byo lug ground, extended FSB an in thumbhole configuration...an slant cut. Any advice would be welcomed!
Gabrassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
billydonk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183419

F no. SAM7SF is 1236 at guns midwest right now.

slant cut MAK is maybe a 700 gun. that transitional BS doesn't add anything to the MAK value unless it has features that weren't removed ie: fangs, milled out UF holes, etc.
billydonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
wormraper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 192990

what billydonk said. You'd be smoking CRACK to do that deal
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrassfisher View Post
Hey guys, have a offer to trade my nib Arsenal sam7sf for a Polytech scrubbed AK47 to Mak90 caught in customs gun. Its a kbi, oval 386, byo lug ground, extended FSB an in thumbhole configuration...an slant cut. Any advice would be welcomed!
At the end of the day you'd be trading a high quality rifle that's set up for a high quality rifle that will need a new stock and to be threaded

I wouldent
Trvrswsr1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
blhenderson1

AKaholic #: 170872

That is not a good trade. Not even close.
blhenderson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Gabrassfisher

Wow, what a timely an uniform response. You guys rock. Thank you! My mindset was (an its flawed i imagine) that it may be even due to the Mak being a Poly an somewhat rare compared to a quite common rifle. But yeah, it'd be going backwards.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

The only way I would do that would be for a full conversion straight cut. Chu-wood stock set correct gas block and spiker assembly along with correct poly tech muzzle nut.
catmando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
Bubba H

AKaholic #: 184894

Awful deal. Just because it says PolyTech doesn't mean it's a "holy grail" AK. You'd be way undervaluing your rifle if you made that trade.
Bubba H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
greasepencil

AKaholic #: 184148

I would make a MUCH better offer if I was trading you on that SAM7 for sure...he's trying to get one over on you, I'd never do something like that...some people...
greasepencil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
CjStatic

AKaholic #: 196171

I wouldn’t trade my new Sam7sf for a Barrett 50 cal
CjStatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
EarlieKyler
CEO Dan Halen Sheet Rock Int.

AKaholic #: 164220

No bad trade do not even think about it a poly Mac isn’t worth it
Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
MudEagle

AKaholic #: 195679

Is the MAK milled or stamped?
MudEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #13
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

I don't need to add my "Oh, Hell No!" to the chorus...but i will anyway because its the internets.

But I will add some info on the "caught in customs" gun thing. First off, that isn't one of those, not even close.

Two export firms shipped AKs out of China: Norinco and Polytech. They didn't build them, just sold them to foreign customers. Many individual factorys did the building, hence the number codes.
While many importers brought in Norinco branded rifles, only KFS was contracted with to bring in Polytechs. At least that's the story and what all the evidence online shows. If that rifle is import marked KBI, something's off.

I have a true "caught in customs' gun. It came into the USA as a Norinco 56S-1 underfolder, but then the dark day happened. So what the importer did was to tackweld the slant brake on, shave the wings off the bayo lug (leaving the stud), lightly pin/weld the UF stock in the closed position, and very crudely install a thumbhole sporter stock.
After making these changes, they left the 56S-1 mark on the receiver, and simply stamped a '1' (One) in front of it to technically make a new name/designation. Same thing was done with the HK91 to HK911 haha.

Guns like the 156S-1 were from 1989 and were caught.

Anything stamped MAK90 though came into the USA after the end of 1989 and was always a 'postban' import.

Now that said, there were MAK90s imported (esp in 1993), with slantcut receivers that were once meant to be underfolder 56-1 types. But they never were, just the receivers were originally made for them.
You can find both stamped and milled this way, and I've had both in the store.
They are easy restoration projects.....if you can find the original Chinese hardware and furniture, and there inlies the trick these days.

Last year, a friend picked up a stamped MAK90 with Chinese UF stock and pistol grip already installed, and he paid $800 at a local store. Even got a nice Chinese single tab sling and flatback mag with it.
It wasn't a full conversion though as it lacked the cleaning rod and bayonet lug work.

Your SAM7SF on the otherhand is every bit the same legit import as a post 1989 Chinese, both made at an original Comblock factory and both all foreign parts...except for the US ones installed for 922(r), which yes does apply to MAK90s just the same as SAM7s.

Hands down, your SAM7SF is a better and more authentic gun. Plus China said once they sent over 1,000,000 AKs to the USA from 1983-1994, so if this is true (?) the Arsenal is an overall rarer gun too.
I don't know how many guns Arsenal AD has sent us, but I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near 100,000. The number is probably more like 25,000-40,000 but i did just pull that out of my ass so you can just disregard...and definitely don't sniff it.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #14
Gabrassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
I don't need to add my "Oh, Hell No!" to the chorus...but i will anyway because its the internets.

But I will add some info on the "caught in customs" gun thing. First off, that isn't one of those, not even close.

Two export firms shipped AKs out of China: Norinco and Polytech. They didn't build them, just sold them to foreign customers. Many individual factorys did the building, hence the number codes.
While many importers brought in Norinco branded rifles, only KFS was contracted with to bring in Polytechs. At least that's the story and what all the evidence online shows. If that rifle is import marked KBI, something's off.

I have a true "caught in customs' gun. It came into the USA as a Norinco 56S-1 underfolder, but then the dark day happened. So what the importer did was to tackweld the slant brake on, shave the wings off the bayo lug (leaving the stud), lightly pin/weld the UF stock in the closed position, and very crudely install a thumbhole sporter stock.
After making these changes, they left the 56S-1 mark on the receiver, and simply stamped a '1' (One) in front of it to technically make a new name/designation. Same thing was done with the HK91 to HK911 haha.

Guns like the 156S-1 were from 1989 and were caught.

Anything stamped MAK90 though came into the USA after the end of 1989 and was always a 'postban' import.

Now that said, there were MAK90s imported (esp in 1993), with slantcut receivers that were once meant to be underfolder 56-1 types. But they never were, just the receivers were originally made for them.
You can find both stamped and milled this way, and I've had both in the store.
They are easy restoration projects.....if you can find the original Chinese hardware and furniture, and there inlies the trick these days.

Last year, a friend picked up a stamped MAK90 with Chinese UF stock and pistol grip already installed, and he paid $800 at a local store. Even got a nice Chinese single tab sling and flatback mag with it.
It wasn't a full conversion though as it lacked the cleaning rod and bayonet lug work.

Your SAM7SF on the otherhand is every bit the same legit import as a post 1989 Chinese, both made at an original Comblock factory and both all foreign parts...except for the US ones installed for 922(r), which yes does apply to MAK90s just the same as SAM7s.

Hands down, your SAM7SF is a better and more authentic gun. Plus China said once they sent over 1,000,000 AKs to the USA from 1983-1994, so if this is true (?) the Arsenal is an overall rarer gun too.
I don't know how many guns Arsenal AD has sent us, but I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near 100,000. The number is probably more like 25,000-40,000 but i did just pull that out of my ass so you can just disregard...and definitely don't sniff it.
Wow!! Thank you for that knowledge an perspective! I've seen that caught in port conversion being thrown around a lot! I said no to the deal, but now i can't shake the China fever! Anyways thanks a bunch guys. I dont care what CNN says about us!
Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Triathloncoach
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 186291

So your SAM 7 SF is back on the ODT? Glad you didn’t get swindled.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
Gabrassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathloncoach View Post
So your SAM 7 SF is back on the ODT? Glad you didn’t get swindled.
Hey neighbor, yes it was until yesterday evening. It sold. I'm tossing around ideas of what I'd like to do with the sealed Mak