Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917
Default CMP M1 Garand.. Update, FedEx was just here!

Just placed the envelope with my order form in my mailbox for a service grade M1 Garand! 1st Garand ever, I've always wanted one but somehow have never had one.. 2-4 months..

I suspect that I will have a few nights of insomnia in my near future..

Place holder for future pics..

August 16th teaser!

SA January 1943 production date, more pics later when I have a few minutes.

Last edited by def90; 08-16-2018 at 11:46 AM.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
frankinnola
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 174065

get your sling, ammo and en bloc clips while waiting....
frankinnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
JudgeandJury

AKaholic #: 180145

I'm jealous.
JudgeandJury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
subcpo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 195602

Check the headspace, which I am sure you do already
Old 06-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Kosmoline

AKaholic #: 186904

Awesome and congrats! Can't wait to see what you get!

Out of all my rifles, my Garand is the one that most all my friends ask to shoot. It's around a 500,000 serial number, made in early 1942, with a 42 barrel and WWII era walnut stock (which is just how I got it).

It's also a bonus that every time I shoot/handle it, it reminds me of my grandfather, who as well as being an amazing guy, was also a WWII veteran in the Pacific (Iwo Jima).
Kosmoline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Sweet! I ordered a Service Grade in the first week of March, I had it in my hands about six weeks later, it is a six digit receiver made in April 1941, rebarreled in Sept of 1943.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

Nice! Just picked up my 1st M1G. 1942 Winchester. Its an older CMP with all WWII parts. (Mostly WRA with SA bbl) personally I like the service grade guns the best, they are the real pieces of history. Most have seen action in one or more wars and they are still quite a bit of fight left in them.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinnola View Post
get your sling, ammo and en bloc clips while waiting....
Iíve got a sling.. youíre right, I need to stock up on clips and ammo though.. and maybe some bandoliers, ww2 ammo belts, a bayonet of course, maybe a musette bag? This is going to get expensive.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #9
Holescreek

AKaholic #: 124983

Reading the first post brought back a lot of memories. I wanted a Garand back in the early '80's when the CMP was called the DCM. I had to shoot at Camp Perry in a DCM match in order to qualify for the honor, then get fingerprinted at the local PD and fill out a form (can't remember if is was a 4473 or not and sign a form saying I'd not sell the rifle) then submit all the paperwork and $165 to the DCM. They only gave out 100 rifles a year, and it took 2+ years for mine to arrive. IIRC it came directly to my house too. Things sure have changed!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #10
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holescreek View Post
Reading the first post brought back a lot of memories. I wanted a Garand back in the early '80's when the CMP was called the DCM. I had to shoot at Camp Perry in a DCM match in order to qualify for the honor, then get fingerprinted at the local PD and fill out a form (can't remember if is was a 4473 or not and sign a form saying I'd not sell the rifle) then submit all the paperwork and $165 to the DCM. They only gave out 100 rifles a year, and it took 2+ years for mine to arrive. IIRC it came directly to my house too. Things sure have changed!
The old DCM was a little hard to work with.

The CMP still ships rifles directly to your house. There is a CMP form to fill out, no 4473, and you need to be a member of a CMP affiliated club/organization and show that you are involved and or qualified in shooting sports, a CHL will work for that. The 1911 and 1911A1 pistols that they are getting ready to sell, 8000 this year, require that those be shipped to a FFL and a 4473 filled out. There is a lottery system going on right now for those.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Shadow Walker
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10055

Holescreek, I purchased a M-1 Carbine thru the NRA from the DCM for $20 back in 1964, shortly before I got out of the Navy. It was shipped direct to my house, which is what should happen in a free country. I also had 300 rounds of ammo mailed home as well.

I wrote home, told my family to put the unopened boxes under a bed until I come home from the Navy.

I get home, the boxes are long gone, and so is the ammo. Dang brothers didn't even bother to pick up the brass.
Shadow Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
MfnManifest
Banned

AKaholic #: 194817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Walker View Post
Holescreek, I purchased a M-1 Carbine thru the NRA from the DCM for $20 back in 1964, shortly before I got out of the Navy. It was shipped direct to my house, which is what should happen in a free country. I also had 300 rounds of ammo mailed home as well.

I wrote home, told my family to put the unopened boxes under a bed until I come home from the Navy.

I get home, the boxes are long gone, and so is the ammo. Dang brothers didn't even bother to pick up the brass.
How is this relevant to anything at all?
MfnManifest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153

Excellent, OP!

With a little luck maybe you will have the rifle sooner.

Mine came in about a month (this was about 2 years ago, I got one of the Special Grade like new in .308)
DesertGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
Brasky
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187139

Now you just need to hurry up and wait
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
Oryguner

AKaholic #: 155513

Here's a little something while you wait. Careful though, Garands can be very addictive.

Last edited by Oryguner; 06-14-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Oryguner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
JumboJett35

AKaholic #: 180363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryguner View Post
Here's a little something while you wait. Careful though, Garands can be very addictive.

Wow what a beautiful collection! Are they all originals or repros? They look immaculate.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcpo View Post
Check the headspace, which I am sure you do already
CMP armorers/gunsmiths go over the guns I'm pretty sure.. In fact each gun should have a tag with it saying who inspected it.

-
Congrats OP, it took me about 3-4 months to get my Winchester service grade. It's a beautiful rifle!
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfnManifest View Post
I've learned dealing with my older neighbors that a lot of times they just want to talk, doesn't even have to parting to the original conversation. But considering they are vets I sit there with my mouth shut and give them 5 minutes of my day.
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Sent in a order for 2 Service grades on April 24th, I emailed the CMP and asked what the status was, they said that service grade rifles are backordered and their working on orders from early April.

In the latest Garand collectors magazine it said CMP told them they have enough rifles to last the next 10 years, so it's just a matter of refurbishing them I guess.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
Sent in a order for 2 Service grades on April 24th, I emailed the CMP and asked what the status was, they said that service grade rifles are backordered and their working on orders from early April.

In the latest Garand collectors magazine it said CMP told them they have enough rifles to last the next 10 years, so it's just a matter of refurbishing them I guess.
Yeah, they recently received a large number of them from Turkey and now a huge shipment from the Philippines. There's a video somewhere of them opening some of the Philippine crates and some rare finds they have already discovered.

I think right now they are working through the Turkish rifles.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #21
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
CMP armorers/gunsmiths go over the guns I'm pretty sure.. In fact each gun should have a tag with it saying who inspected it.
Yeah, they completely rebuild them and replace parts if needed. I would think headspace would be verified.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #22
Oryguner

AKaholic #: 155513

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJett35 View Post
Wow what a beautiful collection! Are they all originals or repros? They look immaculate.
All the stocks were refinished by me. I reparked the Winchester and Springfield and both have post WWII rebuild barrels. The IHC is an army Depot (LEAD) rebuild but all IHC except the trigger group. The H&R is all original finish and correct parts that came to me as a $295 Greek rack grade in really crappy wood.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #23
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Yeah, they recently received a large number of them from Turkey and now a huge shipment from the Philippines. There's a video somewhere of them opening some of the Philippine crates and some rare finds they have already discovered.

I think right now they are working through the Turkish rifles.
14,000 from Turkey, and 86,000 from the Philippines. The CMP should be about at the tail end of the Turkish M1ís and getting ready to start on the Philippine M1ís. Might take a little while longer to get a service grade as there are a lot more field grades in these shipments. First come, first served, you got to get in line and they pass them out as the crates are opened.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #24
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

I'm very fond of the Garand. Yeah, it's old, it's dated and uses obsolete ammo but I still revere the name. I'm not well heeled so I'm hoping they will institute another grade from BFPU grade or whatever the lowest one is. Maybe they will have a Phillipine turd grade I can select from. They got 86,000 of the things.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #25
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
I'm very fond of the Garand. Yeah, it's old, it's dated and uses obsolete ammo but I still revere the name. I'm not well heeled so I'm hoping they will institute another grade from BFPU grade or whatever the lowest one is. Maybe they will have a Phillipine turd grade I can select from. They got 86,000 of the things.
Service grade are only $750 right now.. not much more than a WASR.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:30 AM   #26
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153

Quote:
He's just shooting' the shit.

It's what people do on a forum.

Nice 8th post.

If people sharing their experiences "offends" you, just make that your last post.

Nobody will even notice when you are gone.
DesertGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #27
Orlando

AKaholic #: 45491

Quote:
Yeah, they completely rebuild them and replace parts if needed. I would think headspace would be verified.
CMP does not rebuild rifles except for "special" grades. A large percent of the rifles are head spaced and test fired but some do get missed.
If you read the documentation that comes with your rifle it is recommended that you have your rifle checked by a gunsmith before firing.
If you don't have the know how or ability to check the rifle yourself its not a bad idea to take it to someone who can
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #28
rbox1064
Rammer Jammer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
What?

The friggin thread is about ordering a military weapon from CMP.... You follow so far?

First of all he directed his comments at the Filer he intended them for. He was sharing an experience purchasing a military weapon from the CMP (DCM) which is where the previously mentioned filer had purchased his military weapon. Both of these gents had their military weapons mailed directly to their house.

There is much relevance here.

My question is, how are YOU relevant to anything at all?

Hint: You're NOT!
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #29
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
CMP does not rebuild rifles except for "special" grades. A large percent of the rifles are head spaced and test fired but some do get missed.
If you read the documentation that comes with your rifle it is recommended that you have your rifle checked by a gunsmith before firing.
If you don't have the know how or ability to check the rifle yourself its not a bad idea to take it to someone who can
"rebuild" is probably not the correct term as they are not refinished and so on.. They do insect them and replace any broken parts as well as check headspace and test fire.

And this video makes it appear as though they all get broken down, cleaned, inspected and rebuilt/parts replaced to some degree.

Last edited by def90; 06-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #30
Orlando

AKaholic #: 45491

Quote:
"rebuild" is probably not the correct term as they are not refinished and so on.. They do insect them and replace any broken parts as well as check headspace and test fire.

And this video makes it appear as though they all get broken down, cleaned, inspected and rebuilt/parts replaced to some degree.

That video is alittle deceiving. Only rifles that are being refinished and rebarrreled go through this process ,or are extremely filthy Other rifles are only headspaced and test fired
Some rifles do slip through the cracks and are nether test fired or headspaced. I have received them caked in preservative
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #31
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

Quote:
Service grade are only $750 right now.. not much more than a WASR.
I think it is time to get one.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #32
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
After this batch from the Philippines, it is hard to say where the next group of returned Garands will come from. There is talk of more from Turkey. Apparently the 14,000 that came in last year were from the Turkish Air Force and the Turkish Army still has quite a few. It should take a couple of years for the CMP to sell what they currently have, but the higher grades seem to be getting a bit more scarce and maybe not be the same as the service grades , condition wise, from a few years ago. What you will get will be a very serviceable, great piece of US history, lent out to our Allies to guard off the Sovietís and thier comrades during the Cold War.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #33
raggedwhole!
Banned

AKaholic #: 172787

Quote:
I think it is relevant to how much has changed in 50 years. What exactly did you add to this thread? Other then your an asshole?
raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #34
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Here's a video that shows some of the Philippine guns.. starts at 5:38

Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #35
MfnManifest
Banned

AKaholic #: 194817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
After this batch from the Philippines, it is hard to say where the next group of returned Garands will come from. There is talk of more from Turkey. Apparently the 14,000 that came in last year were from the Turkish Air Force and the Turkish Army still has quite a few. It should take a couple of years for the CMP to sell what they currently have, but the higher grades seem to be getting a bit more scarce and maybe not be the same as the service grades , condition wise, from a few years ago. What you will get will be a very serviceable, great piece of US history, lent out to our Allies to guard off the Sovietís and thier comrades during the Cold War.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
What?

The friggin thread is about ordering a military weapon from CMP.... You follow so far?

First of all he directed his comments at the Filer he intended them for. He was sharing an experience purchasing a military weapon from the CMP (DCM) which is where the previously mentioned filer had purchased his military weapon. Both of these gents had their military weapons mailed directly to their house.

There is much relevance here.

My question is, how are YOU relevant to anything at all?

Hint: You're NOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGunner View Post
He's just shooting' the shit.

It's what people do on a forum.

Nice 8th post.

If people sharing their experiences "offends" you, just make that your last post.

Nobody will even notice when you are gone.
Lmao @ salty boomers getting salty. The thread has nothing to do with DCM in the 60s or M1 Carbines, and he shared a completely asinine anecdote about his family. Typical boomer bullshit.
MfnManifest is offline   Reply With Quote