Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
dgtaurus

AKaholic #: 168963
Default 5.56 Build in need of muzzle brake. Ideas?

Hey gents

Getting a 5.56 AK built and I'm trying to figure out the best brake to use. Parts will be all Bulgy/AK Builder. Barrel will be 14.5 and the brake will be pinned to make it legal. (Ive thought about throwing a tax stamp on it but have decided against it for now...)

For now Im going with a surefire MB556K. Ive also thought about doing an adapter for a suppressor down the road.

If you guys have any examples of your own or any good ideas please let me know!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
aresshrike

AKaholic #: 180010

So it's right between an AK-101 and an AK-102, right?
Should be real nice.
I love those 5.56 AK builds, off Bulgy kits, with the AK Builder barrels.
Please post pictures, as soon as you can!

That Surefire would be an excellent choice, for sure, but I would just wonder if the booster may be of some use in the "shorter" barrel. Probably not.
Please do let us know how yours functions without the booster.

Are you gonna' run it "as is" for a bit, and see if it "needs" to have the extractor body "trimmed" a little, to compensate for the slightly smaller diameter 5.56 round?

And the bolt face, are you gonna stay "as is" or are you thinking about putting a weld all around the inside bolt face, and machining it to 5.56 spec?

I ask because some people run it as is and claim no problems at all.
I've no reason to doubt their claims, though others run it as is, and do end up "shaving" the extractor, and or doing the bolt face up, to 5.56 spec.

Because, as you know, it'll hand cycle just fine, but when it comes to live fire, it may have an issue.

Me, the ones I'm doing are having their bolts sent to Jeff Miller - Tenngalil, to have him weld and remachine the bolt face to 5.56 spec. I just don't feel real comfortable with the round floating around the bolt face, even though it's a very small amount.

Oh yeah, load up on Polish Beryl 5.56 mags, as soon as you can. Their so much less expensive than the Circle 10's, and as you know, their are no other "real" options. The Beryl mags do fit less tight than the Circle 10's, but the Circle 10's, to me, are a little too tight, and make mag changes to darn slow. The Beryls are considerably faster to do mag changes on, and are in no way "too loose".

I've gotta do a thread on the 5.56 AK-74/101 (whatever) Bulgy build, as I know it'd be very helpful for people looking to do it, but are unsure of how it'll run.
They are really, great builds! (as far as I know!)

Last edited by aresshrike; 01-31-2018 at 01:50 PM.
aresshrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
AK-Pirate
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183956

Strela Compact 5.45/.223...Google it
AK-Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159575

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtaurus View Post
Hey gents

Getting a 5.56 AK built and I'm trying to figure out the best brake to use. Parts will be all Bulgy/AK Builder. Barrel will be 14.5 and the brake will be pinned to make it legal. (Ive thought about throwing a tax stamp on it but have decided against it for now...)

For now Im going with a surefire MB556K. Ive also thought about doing an adapter for a suppressor down the road.

I like the JMAC Customs brake. I might do what you plan to do an chop the barrel to 14.5 and permanently pin the JMAC Customs muzzle brake. But, that will be future project.. I have 3 other AK's that I'm building this year.

My 5.56 AK build that I did earlier last year using Childers Guns LLC receiver.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
dgtaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
I like the JMAC Customs brake. I might do what you plan to do an chop the barrel to 14.5 and permanently pin the JMAC Customs muzzle brake. But, that will be future project.. I have 3 other AK's that I'm building this year.

My 5.56 AK build that I did earlier last year using Childers Guns LLC receiver.
Howís the balance feel with it being 16?

Would you prefer the 14.5 or 16?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

Quote:
Howís the balance feel with it being 16?

Would you prefer the 14.5 or 16?
With the JMAC Customs FS/GB combo and the brake being light weight, the 16 inch barrel is pretty balance. I like the feel of it...

Although, chopping the barrel to 14.5" and permanently pinning the brake will give it a "COOLER" look.

Photo below is courtesy of JMAC-CUSTOMS: 14.5" barrel using JMAC-Customs GBC-13 FS/GB combo with a permanently attached RRD-4C "SLIM" 14mmLH brake.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 159323
Default basic info

1 It's going to be 14x1LH....?
2 For 22 caliber you would want more of a flash hider vs a brake.
3 Account for .5" for the threads for total length.

https://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1884

Post up some pics.

MJ
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Lnstrqc85

AKaholic #: 179040

I would recommend doing some research on the concussion level of some of the devices you are considering before you permanently attach it. You might not like it down the road. Now, if you plan on suppressing it, that's a whole different story. I had a buddy that changed out his muzzle device three times because the muzzle blast were pretty significant. I have a spikes dynacomp on my 106Cr, and also a manticore night brake on saiga .223.
Lnstrqc85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
dgtaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-ula View Post
1 It's going to be 14x1LH....?
2 For 22 caliber you would want more of a flash hider vs a brake.
3 Account for .5" for the threads for total length.

https://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1884

Post up some pics.

MJ
No itís going to be threaded like an AR. 1/2-28
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
dgtaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnstrqc85 View Post
I would recommend doing some research on the concussion level of some of the devices you are considering before you permanently attach it. You might not like it down the road. Now, if you plan on suppressing it, that's a whole different story. I had a buddy that changed out his muzzle device three times because the muzzle blast were pretty significant. I have a spikes dynacomp on my 106Cr, and also a manticore night brake on saiga .223.
Hmmmm.. thatís a really good point.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #11
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

Quote:
No itís going to be threaded like an AR. 1/2-28
Just so you know my 5.56 AK is threaded 1/2x28 RH threads just like the AR. Iím actually using the JMAC-Customs RRD-4C "556" 1/2x28.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 AM   #12
mullicrk
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169520

How about a XM177 type?
Old 02-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Grey

AKaholic #: 194764

I went with Primary Weapon Systems' FSC556. I went with a flash-hider as I find the 223/556 caliber very manageable for recoil and muzzle rise. Note, mine (pictured) was painted gray in moly resin.

https://primaryweapons.com/store/product/fsc-556/

Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
dgtaurus

Decided to go with a 16 inch barrel. Too many what ifs to go with 14.5 for now

Still trying to figure out the right muzzle device. Sound concussion is a concern that I didn’t take into account initially
Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
Grey

Quote:
Sound concussion is a concern that I didn’t take into account initially
Agreed. The 2nd reason I chose a flash-hider rather than a compensator. I am not a fan of loud blasts, (again) especially when 223/556 is so manageable in terms of recoil/rise.

Edit:

It may be helpful to mention my runner-up choice, the SilencerCo ASR flash hider. The obvious bonus is that you could pair it with a silencer/suppressor/can if you desired later. However, with that specifically, be mindful of the over gassed system in an AK. Though that is an entirely different conversation in itself.

https://www.store.silencerco.com/pro...iant=362735069
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #16
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresshrike View Post
So it's right between an AK-101 and an AK-102, right?
Should be real nice.
I love those 5.56 AK builds, off Bulgy kits, with the AK Builder barrels.
Please post pictures, as soon as you can!

That Surefire would be an excellent choice, for sure, but I would just wonder if the booster may be of some use in the "shorter" barrel. Probably not.
Please do let us know how yours functions without the booster.

Are you gonna' run it "as is" for a bit, and see if it "needs" to have the extractor body "trimmed" a little, to compensate for the slightly smaller diameter 5.56 round?

And the bolt face, are you gonna stay "as is" or are you thinking about putting a weld all around the inside bolt face, and machining it to 5.56 spec?

I ask because some people run it as is and claim no problems at all.
I've no reason to doubt their claims, though others run it as is, and do end up "shaving" the extractor, and or doing the bolt face up, to 5.56 spec.

Because, as you know, it'll hand cycle just fine, but when it comes to live fire, it may have an issue.

Me, the ones I'm doing are having their bolts sent to Jeff Miller - Tenngalil, to have him weld and remachine the bolt face to 5.56 spec. I just don't feel real comfortable with the round floating around the bolt face, even though it's a very small amount.

Oh yeah, load up on Polish Beryl 5.56 mags, as soon as you can. Their so much less expensive than the Circle 10's, and as you know, their are no other "real" options. The Beryl mags do fit less tight than the Circle 10's, but the Circle 10's, to me, are a little too tight, and make mag changes to darn slow. The Beryls are considerably faster to do mag changes on, and are in no way "too loose".

I've gotta do a thread on the 5.56 AK-74/101 (whatever) Bulgy build, as I know it'd be very helpful for people looking to do it, but are unsure of how it'll run.
They are really, great builds! (as far as I know!)
Don't weld on your bolt!!
Lots of 223 rifles built using a 5.45 bolt.
Also 223 bolts avaliable.
No need to weld up the face and screw up the temper of the bolt.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #17
ugroza

AKaholic #: 183657

+1 on FSC PWS, i also enjoy SRVV models.
Loudness on short barrels is real. I have FSC on 12.5 and after going from full size AK to 12.5 i always get ear ringing. Your 14.5 may not experience this.

5.56/5.45 being manageable and not needed of any compensation is an old and retarded argument. Even something smooth as an AR greatly benefits from it. Proper compensation is a difference between whether you gonna land two rapid shots on target 50m away, or only one. That being said, flash hide yourself all you want to.

Both SRVV and FSC do good job at flash hiding. FSC does it better and i don't notice any concussion from it compare to SRVV.
ugroza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
Grey

Quote:
Hey gents

So, did you make a decision yet?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #19
dgtaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
So, did you make a decision yet?
Lol nope. Iíve decided against anything thatís going to be a dedicated Comp. Itís 556. So I donít need much help with recoil. Iíve been eyeing up suppressors for some of my ARs and Iím leaning towards an AAC.

So Iím probably going to go with an AAC flash hider. I will not be pinning it as Iím gonna just with a 16 inch barrel.

The builds almost completed though. Just waiting on a rail from SLR
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #20
Grey

Roger that. Was just curious.

I considered suppressing my 106CR. Ultimately, I decided not to, but while it was still a consideration, I pinged Rifle Dynamics on it since they offer a suppressed tuning package for Arsenal/SGL. Sharing, in case you find it helpful.

Quote:
If the rifle is not adapted to run suppressed this can result in heavy damage to the bolt/bolt carrier due to all the pressure being pushed back from the can, which can also lead to cracking the receiver, as well as the front & rear trunnions. We do have a shop stock of the SilencerCo and Dead Air suppressors, so weíd be able to use one of ours for the tuning if you did decide to opt for one of those cans. For any other manufactured suppressors, we would need you to send in your suppressor for about 3-4 weeks during the build. Since the AK is a naturally overgassed system, one of the best things we've found to remedy the issue is to start with a virgin, non-ported barrel. The Arsenal barrels have already been ported for the standard AKM gas blocks, so we do include the cost of one of our custom made US 4150 nitrided barrels in the package as well.

For a .30cal suppressor, Iíd recommend checking out either the SilencerCo Omega or the Dead Air Sandmanís or even their Wolverine PBS-1 suppressors. All products we sell/carry are recommended by us, so either way you go it will be an excellent set up.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
dgtaurus

This girl finally got cerakoted and finished up. Iíll post some better pics when I go pick it up next week. Canít wait to get this thing to the range!

Parts list

Nodak Spud Receiver
Bulgy Parts Kit
AK Builder Bolt
AK Builder Barrel 16Ē (1/2-28)
ALG Trigger
SLR Handguard
Rifle Dynamics Adapter
Magpul Stock
AAC Flash Suppressor (this will probably be changed at some point)
Old 04-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #22
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Given what you said about the concussion i can def give you one to avoid. The Lantac "Dragon" comp. so frickin loud. And overkill for a 5.56 gun. I used one for a range session and ended up taking it off. And I use awesome foam 33 NRR plugs and 31 NRR ear muffs.

Sweet build DGT
Old 04-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
AMD_67
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173207

Looks good! I'm thinking about doing something very similar with a permanent AR mag adapter.
AMD_67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #24
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Nice looking rifle.
How's it shoot??
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #25
dgtaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
Nice looking rifle.
How's it shoot??
Not sure yet. Iím picking it up next week, very psyched to shoot it though.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #26
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

I've got Precision Armament’s M4-72 Severe-Duty Compensator on my .308 Zastava M77.
Recoil reduction is flat amazing
Literally feels like a soft .223.
Believe they make a 5.56 version.
I've got a 5.56 Arsenal SLR-106U with a 10.5" barrel and have a hard time imagining you really need a brake?
5.56 is like 22 Magnum for me...
But everyone is unique right.
Have you actually shot the gun?

Last edited by Barth; 04-14-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Barth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #27
dgtaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth View Post
I've got Precision Armamentís M4-72 Severe-Duty Compensator on my .308 Zastava M77.
Recoil reduction is flat amazing
Literally feels like a soft .223.
Believe they make a 5.56 version.
I've got a 5.56 Arsenal SLR-106U with a 10.5" barrel and have a hard time imagining you really need a brake?
5.56 is like 22 Magnum for me...
But everyone is unique right.
Have you actually shot the gun?
No I donít really need one. After thinking it over for a bit I went with a flash suppressor instead. I do not want the concussion from a brake. Itís not necessary. I think Iíll end up going with a suppressor eventually though so I just have a place holder for now with an AAC flash suppressor.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #28
Echo Nine Three
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 175305

Dis shit right here.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #29
History
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 163408

Man that looks good!

Quote: