Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #211
KC913

AKaholic #: 155912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattisgarage View Post
Took mine to the range today and did not have a ton of luck. Tried 00 buck and some slugs and was not getting proper extraction. Waiting on some video from a buddy to try and see if I see anything. The very first shot I took left the shell in the chamber but did strip another round from the mag like it wanted to cycle. After that it was not even trying to cycle. So I'm home now and noticed there is a hole in the handgaurd in line with the bottom hole where the gas piston goes. Is this supposed to be like that?? I'm thinking there was something in there that got blown out on the first shot. And now as soon as the gas piston starts to move it's Leting all the gas out the hole in that hand gaurd. Can anyone confirm this?? I really took my time getting this gun working smoothly thinking it would operated well
The hole is supposed to be there. Nothing covering or blocking it. The system basically uses the initial gas burst to push the piston rearward and cycle the action, then vents off excess gas.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #212
Gattisgarage

AKaholic #: 194486

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC913 View Post
The hole is supposed to be there. Nothing covering or blocking it. The system basically uses the initial gas burst to push the piston rearward and cycle the action, then vents off excess gas.
What's your thoughts in reducing the size of said hole in order to get a little more gas to the action??
Gattisgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #213
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattisgarage View Post
What's your thoughts in reducing the size of said hole in order to get a little more gas to the action??
It vents at the end of the piston stroke, so not the best place to start.

I would start by slightly polishing the fire control parts to take out some of the snagglyness, then maybe slightly increase the barrel ports.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #214
Gattisgarage

AKaholic #: 194486

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
It vents at the end of the piston stroke, so not the best place to start.

I would start by slightly polishing the fire control parts to take out some of the snagglyness, then maybe slightly increase the barrel ports.
Both of those are done...guess it just needs some more shooting to get it going.
Gattisgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #215
dsrt4

AKaholic #: 166492

Here is my long boring ass read on my sas-12. I picked one of these up from centerfire a few weeks back. Its a DDI import and not one of the older Brolin or century sas-12's. Looks Identical though. Brown furniture and all. I picked it up from the ffl and stripped it. I took the plastic off and set it aside and stripped it completely. I heated it up with the heat gun and then hosed it down hot with engine Autozone store brand de-greaser. I used a full can of it. I didn't do any of the fluff and buff like most have or anything else top it but clean off all the sloppy grease. I will probably though. That can only help as its been noted.

I had two boxes of Federal Hi Power 12 Gauge #6 I think it's like 1350 or 1330fps. I have two 3 rounders and a two 5 rounders. The 3 round mags ran great but the 5 rounders always had issues with the second round . Seemed to chip the edge of the crimp off on a few on the second round of the 5 round magazines.

I stopped using the 5 round mags. On a side note the 5 round mags hold the bolt open on mine at least on the last round. The 3 round mags do not hold open the bolt on my shotgun. After I started using the 3 round mags solely the gun functioned fine. I didn't have any bird shot with me but I did have some wax slugs i made from target loads over Christmas. These shot accurately in the gun. Well for me at least. I was able to hit steel at maybe 75 yards with them after I learned where to hold it. They didn't cycle the gun and I didn't try loading the mags with them. I was just messing around with them anyway. They were made from walmart clay 100rd bulk pack junk. Quite a friggen thump on the steel. Lots of fun I felt.

After 50 rounds of the able federal ran dry I zipped up to the nearest fun store and bought a few boxes of estate shells that had the same specs as the above federal. I think they were like $13 for 25. I came back and ran though's. It ran all those with no issues and seemed to a be a tad hotter than the federal but who knows. After that I ran a few $5 walmart brown box military buckshot boxes through it. It ran those alright with no issues but a little slow for the action but no jams.. Might just try either just loading 4 in the 5 rounders and maybe leave them loaded for a bit and see if that works.

So all in all it seems to function just fine with the above high brass and is accurate with wax slugs with them being loaded on at a time. It needs a Butt pad bad. after I guess 185 rounds and most of them being high brass my shoulder is beat. Im going to take the plastic butt pad off and see if i cannot find something for it. I have spent a ton more on firearms before and had much worse luck so there is that...

It a Pretty big shotgun for me. Im only 5' 7" or so and have short ass arms. It isn't overly heavy. Mine has a Aluminum receiver. I thought I heard they were steel but that may have been the hawk pumps I remember reading about. Mag dumps with the 3 round mags all ran fine.

I like shooting wax slugs in it. The long ass barrel lends to pretty good accuracy with them.

I only have 1 other Semi auto shot gun to compare it to. I have a tristar atac 12 gauge and it took a long time for it to begin to cycle bird shot and sometimes it doesn't with that shotgun.

Fit and finish looks ok. Vent rib is a little wavy gravy when looking down it but it doesn't hurt accuracy. Plastic is cheopo on it so I may just check into looking for wood for it.
Im happy with it so far. The $13 estate stuff is cheap enough to have a decent time with it I may want to take my 1oz slug mold out of moth balls and make a few of those.

I already had a Hawk 982 on Layaway with Robinison trading post so I'm anxious to get it shipped so I can jack my shoulder up more.

Last edited by dsrt4; 01-20-2018 at 04:05 PM.
dsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:44 AM   #216
slvrwrx

AKaholic #: 166236

I picked up one of these. For $139, I can deal with having to work it. Hell I spent a crap ton on parts restoring a Rem Model 11, so we'll see how this goes..
slvrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #217
flejl

AKaholic #: 306

For $139, for a semi auto shotgun, even if you have to teak it a bit, that is great.

I have been looking at a replacement barrel for my Remington 870 and the cost for just the barrel is higher than the whole SAS12.

With that said, if my skin depended on it, I would trust the 870 to work as needed, I would not trust it to the SAS12.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #218
slvrwrx

Does anyone have some shots of their gas ports? Mine are pretty close to each other, and I can't see how that thin of a wall would hold up over time. Also their idea of a 26" barrel = 27.5".

Rib is metal, and a little wavy.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #219
slvrwrx

Probably going to contact centerfire. I cleaned the cosmoline off the barel and it looks like there's no finish on the barrel at all.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #220
KC913

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrwrx View Post
Probably going to contact centerfire. I cleaned the cosmoline off the barel and it looks like there's no finish on the barrel at all.
Pics?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 AM   #221
slvrwrx

I'm going to clean it again tomorrow with degreaser, but it sure doesn't look pretty. Also Rio Buckshot will not fit in the mags.

IMG_6701 by Matt H, on Flickr

IMG_6700 by Matt H, on Flickr
Old 02-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #222
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

RIO buckshot roll crimped?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #223
mac_tek

AKaholic #: 193346

Rio are like S&B shells. They measure almost 2-3/4 before being fired and will not work with these shotgun mags. It is my understanding (SAAMI specs) that 2-3/4 shells measure 2-1/2 before being fired and 2-3/4 after. FWIW
mac_tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #224
mac_tek

AKaholic #: 193346

Shells like this work good for everyone I know with SAS12's.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...loads?a=819662
mac_tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #225
slvrwrx

Quote:
RIO buckshot roll crimped?
If by rolled you mean at the top where the shot is contained yes.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #226
slvrwrx

Also did anyone confirm the A390/3901 barrels would work on this gun?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #227
KC913

Looks like standard finish. Just looks like it's been banged around and scratched up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrwrx View Post
I'm going to clean it again tomorrow with degreaser, but it sure doesn't look pretty. Also Rio Buckshot will not fit in the mags.

IMG_6701 by Matt H, on Flickr

IMG_6700 by Matt H, on Flickr
Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #228
KC913

I'm about done converting one of my 3 SAS-12's to pump. Will be able to switch back and forth between pump and semi auto, by easily hand-adjusting / blocking the gas port without disassembling the gun. I think I would trust these way more as pumps anyway, when it comes down to self-defense. Great project guns. Once people see everything that you can do to them, some will regret not buying them while they can, for the cheap price. Also have a high capacity mag prototype I'm going to test sometime this week. Still no regrets spending $139 on these beasts.

Last edited by KC913; 02-21-2018 at 11:19 PM.
KC913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #229
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

KC that sounds awesome. You should post a thread on how you did it. Also if you decide to move ahead w a prototype let us know. It would get me off the fence right quick to get one or two
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #230
slvrwrx

Yes definitely interested in what you're working on.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #231
KC913

I will get some photos up when its exactly how I want it. Basically, I milled a notch along the bottom of the factory handguard, attached a vertical grip to the action arm under the handguard with a steel rod, with a metal liner inside the handguard to work as a sort of track and reinforcement so it doesn't end up wearing the polymer handguard out. You can pull the vertical grip back and it moves the action back, and it is still spring-loaded, so it pulls itself forward without any effort on my part. I also cut a notch into the gas block and fabricated a little plate and switch that moves over the gas port hole in the barrel to block it. You can move the switch down and it opens it up to semi auto, move the switch up and it blocks the gas and turns it into a single shot, and then you can pump it to cycle. I really like how it's going. I think you can picture how it works, if you've disassembled your SAS-12 and know what's under the handguard. Hope I explained it in a way you understand. I love these cheap bastards.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #232
KC913

Next step is to make it ratcheting, so the grip doesn't move during semi-auto fire. I kind of like it as a pump-only shotgun, though, to be honest. But I want it to function 100% both ways. I may attach it slightly different, so it is attached to the factory handguard, and only engages the action when you pull it rearward. Easy way to make it ratcheting. Also add some kind of locking mechanism so it can't move on accident when im semi-mode.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #233
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Cool. Sounds deceptively simple.

Except for "I also cut a notch into the gas block and fabricated a little plate and switch that moves over the gas port hole in the barrel to block it."

Let's just say HS shop class was not my forte. And I had to choose the frickin skeleton key in wood shop!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:48 AM   #234
slvrwrx

Are these OK to use with Steel Shot?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #235
slvrwrx

Likes Winchester AA TRAP LOAD.
No go on the RIO Game Load.
Rem buckshot good.
Browning bxd extra distance good.

5rd mags garbage. Need more spring pressure.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #236
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC913 View Post
I'm about done converting one of my 3 SAS-12's to pump. Will be able to switch back and forth between pump and semi auto, by easily hand-adjusting / blocking the gas port without disassembling the gun. I think I would trust these way more as pumps anyway, when it comes down to self-defense. Great project guns. Once people see everything that you can do to them, some will regret not buying them while they can, for the cheap price. Also have a high capacity mag prototype I'm going to test sometime this week. Still no regrets spending $139 on these beasts.
Interesting.......
Bandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #237
destrux
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177278

Seems like these are a mixed bag on what ammo they like. Mine is still running good a few hundred rounds later. I never got around to any more mods I've been enjoying running the federal bulk loads through it as it is. Just a smooth shooting gun.
destrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #238
KC913

For anyone interested in easily running a red dot or other optic on the SAS-12, a Ruger 10/22 rail matches the profile nearly perfectly. I'm about to drill and tap one of my SAS-12's to use the cheap $9.00 NCStar 10/22 rail that lets you see through and use iron sights. Same rail I use on my 10/22's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NcSTAR-VISM...72.m2749.l2649
Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 AM   #239
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Rio/S&B are Euro roll-crimped 70mm-ish shells, not true 2-3/4" shells. Try the star-crimped, high-brass PMC #4 Buck from SGAmmo. That will fit in the SAS12 mags.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #240
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

So finally got to play with the pair of 5 round magazines yesterday.. Spring pressure is not right, kept getting ride over jams.
The magazine spring is basically a AK magazine spring, so that is an easy fix.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #241
slvrwrx

Quote:
So finally got to play with the pair of 5 round magazines yesterday.. Spring pressure is not right, kept getting ride over jams.
The magazine spring is basically a AK magazine spring, so that is an easy fix.
Good to know. Spring tension sucked on the 5rd I have.