Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > Palmetto State Armory

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Bludream

AKaholic #: 196289
Default PSAk-47 Moe blem experience/need advice

Greetings,

Newb to the ak world but happy to be somewhat in it. I got a PSAk-47 about a month ago and got perhaps 100 rounds when the extractor broke. The claw is gone.
Read all about ddi and their shitty parts, wonder is psa is still giving that out (seems so). Anyway, go to take out the extractor and the firing pin retaining pin is smashed in. Like they took a hammer to it. Broke a punch already so debating is it worth it to send them the rifle back? Contacted CS and they said well make a label for you to send back. Dont really want the hassle of this long process. Should I just get a gun smith to get this dam pin out? I got a replacement polish extractor from Apex ready.

Would post pics but on phone.

Other than not being able to extract, it seems decent for $500. Until something else brakes.

Thanks
Bludream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Stoned_Oli
King of S'Marm
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Send it back, make them make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Learned Hand
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
...If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Everything man-made breaks.

So you got a beer-o-clock production part . . .

So what?

Contact PSA and they'll make it right.

Sheeesh

"shitty parts", indeed.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Bludream

Thanks guys, will send it in.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
captainstormy

AKaholic #: 195913

Also, since you mentioned a gun smith. Most of them have no idea what they are doing with an AK. Some do of course, but before giving a gunsmith an AK I'd always make sure first.

I'd vote to just send it back to PSA.
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Bludream

Good to know.

You guys know if I should be paying ffl transfer fee if I ship it? Im in AZ.

Thanks again
Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludream View Post
You guys know if I should be paying ffl transfer fee if I ship it? I’m in AZ.
You can pay if you're stupid ( I'm sure a crooked FFL will be happy to take your money )

Under federal law, you can send your firearm to any FFL for repairs, and they can return it directly to you.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

I just went through the process returning a PSA for drifting front sight. PSA paid shipping both ways, no FFL fees, and they even replaced the receiver cover I had dicked up, free of charge, and serialized to match the rest.

It took a little while, yes, but I received a better product at no cost to myself. PSA goes out of their way to make things right.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Bludream

Thanks, this gives me some relief. ^^

They seem to be doing things right from CS side, definitely going that route.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
Bludream

ON here again to rant.

I just took the ak apart for cleaning and notice rusting on a variety of locations.. wtf? I know its not cosmoline.

Looked at previous posts and saw some people had this experience as well.

I have yet to hear from CS since I sent a reply on Tuesday.
Love the ak but honestly at this point im just frustrated at this quality and service. Gave PSA a chance but sadly wanting a refund at this point
Old 04-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
jkucukov

AKaholic #: 191465

I've had my blem for over a year now, I too have noticed several rivets with rust arround the base where it meets the receiver.

How does your front trunnion lug wear look?
jkucukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
Palmetto State Armory
Vendor

AKaholic #: 182740

@Bludream @jkucukov

Please PM me if you would like us to take a look at them. We can take care of any rust issues and refinish.

Thank you,

Josiah
Palmetto State Armory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
fpk762
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166849

Pictures of rust?
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
captainstormy

Some pictures would be helpful.

If we are talking about the inside of the gas tube, I've seen rust caused there on many AKs. It gets hot and humid in there while firing, and then people (myself included) stick the gun in the basement and it can cause surface rust. I've seen that on my WASR. It looks kind of similar to rust from corrosive ammo except it's only in the gas tube and it's only surface rust.

I've also seen what looked like cosomoline mixed with rust coming out of some rivets before in other guns. That is usually a mixture of grease and dirt that worked it's way from the inside of the receiver out.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
jkucukov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto State Armory View Post
@Bludream @jkucukov

Please PM me if you would like us to take a look at them. We can take care of any rust issues and refinish.

Thank you,

Josiah
Thanks Josiah, as I went to take photos of the rust around the center rivet today I noticed that the rust is bleeding though every location where the receiver meets the front & rear trunnions and the scope rail. I live in Utah, relatively dry climate. The rifle has about 200 round count of Wolf ammo and its kept oiled. Here are some photos:

Here are some shots of the front trunnion for those of you who'd be curious of the front trunnion wear, what do you guys think, pretty standard? :

Let me know what you guys think, again the rifle has about 200 rounds, from what I'm able to tell there is a trunnion wear where the bolt carrier meets the rear end. Another wear point I'm noticing is on the top of the right hand lug. Any opinions?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #16
jkucukov

I forgot to add a pictures of the rails where the rust is bleeding through:

Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
John A.
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178172

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I just went through the process returning a PSA for drifting front sight. PSA paid shipping both ways, no FFL fees, and they even replaced the receiver cover I had dicked up, free of charge, and serialized to match the rest.

It took a little while, yes, but I received a better product at no cost to myself. PSA goes out of their way to make things right.
This is not my experience at all.

I couldn't even get them to answer emails or the phone when I was having a problem.

And on top of that, they moderate all their product reviews. Give them a fair one (meaning less than 3 stars) and it'll never see the light of day.

Glad they fixed yours. But I can honestly not say the same for my midlength upper that the gas port was drilled too small.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
This is not my experience at all.

I couldn't even get them to answer emails or the phone when I was having a problem.

And on top of that, they moderate all their product reviews. Give them a fair one (meaning less than 3 stars) and it'll never see the light of day.

Glad they fixed yours. But I can honestly not say the same for my midlength upper that the gas port was drilled too small.
Message Josiah (the PSA account) here. He will take care of you.

That being said, they DO seem to moderate their reviews. I left a fair and accurate review of their wood stock and it definitely has been buried.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #19
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
That being said, they DO seem to moderate their reviews. I left a fair and accurate review of their wood stock and it definitely has been buried.
. . . and since this is PSA's subforum, guess who moderates it?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #20
John A.
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178172

I don't care nalioth.

The truth will stand when the world is on fire.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #21
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
. . . and since this is PSA's subforum, guess who moderates it?
Well, yeah, and I’m posting it here so they can see that reviews seem to get buried. I’m hopeful it’s not an intentional act and they just have a fucked up system for accepting reviews. Josiah has been great here, so I figure pointing out an issue like that here where they watch may lead to it being fixed? Maybe I’m just too optimistic, but I’m a firm believer that unless you plainly and clearly state a problem, you can’t expect anyone to fix it.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
captainstormy

jkucukov,

Usually when guys say their AK is rusting, it turns out to be old grease that oozed into the spaces between parts coming out.

However, that really does look like rust to me.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #23
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

That huge dent in your front trunnion is not at all normal for an AK, especially after 200 rounds. I'd be more concerned about that than anything else.

I bought a blem kit back when they first came out and had nothing but problems. I ended up sending it back in for a full refund. I no longer buy anything unless it's combloc made.

The US makers may eventually figure it out but they've got a long way to go.
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #24
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
That huge dent in your front trunnion is not at all normal for an AK, especially after 200 rounds. I'd be more concerned about that than anything else.

I bought a blem kit back when they first came out and had nothing but problems. I ended up sending it back in for a full refund. I no longer buy anything unless it's combloc made.

The US makers may eventually figure it out but they've got a long way to go.
Good catch, don't know how I missed that sooner. Possibly made by the bolt? Only thing I can think of that might do something in the area.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #25
jkucukov

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Good catch, don't know how I missed that sooner. Possibly made by the bolt? Only thing I can think of that might do something in the area.
The bolt carrier is billet, there are no markings or pits on it from where it makes the contact with the front trunnion. It appears to be stronger than the front trunnion for sure. Should the front trunnion be soft like that after 200 rounds?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #26
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkucukov View Post
The bolt carrier is billet, there are no markings or pits on it from where it makes the contact with the front trunnion. It appears to be stronger than the front trunnion for sure. Should the front trunnion be soft like that after 200 rounds?
The front trunnion should never be soft. I've had my WASR for 10 years shooting 2-3K rounds per year through it and aside from some worn finish and very slight deformation of the bolt carrier tail everything else looks the same as it did in 2008.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
Bludream

Sorry sent the thing in to psa last week.

@Jkucukov, I have the same areas of rust however not that strong, yet. I live in AZ so you know it’s not weather. My front trunnion was not that bad although my bolt did have a chip. Since only had a hundred rounds done who knows.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #28
Bludream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto State Armory View Post
@Bludream @jkucukov

Thank you,

Josiah
Thanks Josiah, I sent in the ak a few days ago as the CS was good and quick once I called instead emailing. Just hope it works and has no rust as I really want to like/depend on this ak, as it was accurate and looked great.