Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 AM   #36
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

The thing about many of the El cheapo Aimpoint knock offs is you are able to see the dot on the opposite end. The glass on a primary Arms regular El cheapo line is atrocious compared to an Eotech. Eotech is still one of the best sights on the market, next to Trijicon and Aimpoint. A primary Arms would most likely fail in water and from rain. However, I haven't tried the super duper PA line. I did check out the Sig Romeo which is supposedly the same thing as primary Arms and Holosun. That thing was nice. I'd still take the Eotech.

I've used the elcan, Aimpoint, ACOG, Leupold, and Eotech on military rifles. I always find myself returning to the Eotech. It works best for me.

"And unemployment was under %5...
And the recession was over...
And Hillary 370, Trump 165...
And you kept your doctor...
And you kept the policy you liked...
And your premiums went down $2500 per household...
And there was eight years of World Peace...
And the oceans receded...
And the Earth healed...
And there was prosperity and racial harmony throughout the land..."-Thundergod
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:37 AM   #37
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Something thats known to be that unreliable ( and Im not talking about thermal drifts), and led to the obsession with co-witness isnt something Id pay 200 for, much less whatever their Msrp is now.
I'd rather use a primary arms
If its not the thermal drift issue, hows it unreliable?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #38
PorkEatingCrusader

AKaholic #: 183717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre5G View Post
The thing about many of the El cheapo Aimpoint knock offs is you are able to see the dot on the opposite end. The glass on a primary Arms regular El cheapo line is atrocious compared to an Eotech. Eotech is still one of the best sights on the market, next to Trijicon and Aimpoint. A primary Arms would most likely fail in water and from rain. However, I haven't tried the super duper PA line. I did check out the Sig Romeo which is supposedly the same thing as primary Arms and Holosun. That thing was nice. I'd still take the Eotech.

I've used the elcan, Aimpoint, ACOG, Leupold, and Eotech on military rifles. I always find myself returning to the Eotech. It works best for me.
So is that basically the equivalent of having an IR flood? I never thought to check the IR signature of an aimpoint or eotech when I had a set of NVGs drawn
Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #39
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
If its not the thermal drift issue, hows it unreliable?
-Batteries drain themselves even when the unit is "off"
-Battery compartments and their contacts have been known to batter themselves to pieces

-Google image search "Dead Eotech" and you'll find pics of lenses and reflectors coming loose under 556 recoil etc...

-Several personal accounts of: "I kept my rear sight flipped up, because I had no way of knowing if the reticle would even be on at any time"

-Endless anecdotes of Police Depts (or whoever) all getting new Eotechs before a training course, with 30% of them being dead out the box and another 30% not lasting the 3 days of the course.

This last one is usually countered with anecdotes saying "mine was fine"...so you pays your money and you takes your chances. My whole point is that paying 600+ for an unmagnified optic should mean "I'm not taking chances". There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that it will work *all the time*, in the same way Trijicon and Aimpoint products are known to.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #40
teambeast

AKaholic #: 159168

Quote:
-Battery compartments and their contacts have been known to batter themselves to pieces

-Google image search "Dead Eotech" and you'll find pics of lenses and reflectors coming loose under 556 recoil etc...

-Several personal accounts of: "I kept my rear sight flipped up, because I had no way of knowing if the reticle would even be on at any time"

-Endless anecdotes of Police Depts (or whoever) all getting new Eotechs before a training course, with 30% of them being dead out the box and another 30% not lasting the 3 days of the course.

This last one is usually countered with anecdotes saying "mine was fine"...so you pays your money and you takes your chances. My whole point is that paying 600+ for an unmagnified optic should mean "I'm not taking chances". There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that it will work *all the time*, in the same way Trijicon and Aimpoint products are known to.
I have an eotech 552 that the batteries were left for about a month and the damn thing just stopped working. Researched it a bit and found out that this is a known issue and eotech sends rebuild kits as the contacts for the battery compartment corrode. For $499 it's a joke and I felt ripped off.
teambeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 AM   #41
Orpheus
Veteran Member

^^^
This is my point. If it cost 200 bucks I'd take my chances and build my own battery compartment properly if I had to. But I'm not going to waste a week of spare time figuring it out and putting it together at those costs. That drain leading to corrosion (not to mention draining your battery) is probably because it doesnt use mechanical switches. Those push buttons have something screwy with them and there's no relay or anything to switch it properly. (Don't jump my throat about this, it's been a while since I messed with those...I avoid them for these exact reasons)

My dear wife is fairly patient with my mall-ninja acquisitions; she knows I chase deals and buy the top shelf stuff for mid shelf prices and understands the value of things....I'd have some explaining to do for buying this kind of a lemon.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #42
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Oh wow. I have two 512s and have not had any issues with them.
I did have two XPS models that i sent in because of possible drift.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #43
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Now that is something Im surprised at....the 512 is the one with the AA batteries inline with the bore, correct?
Those are the most notorious for battery problems
Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #44
CAVHOOAH
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166330

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Fisher View Post
I have the 512 on an AR-10 and I live where it can get -60, I've shot it at -25 and the optic worked great. An it takes AA bats.

You should move that optic forward, closer to the chamber and slab some BUIS on that puppy. Looks naked
Old 02-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #45
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambeast View Post
I have an eotech 552 that the batteries were left for about a month and the damn thing just stopped working. Researched it a bit and found out that this is a known issue and eotech sends rebuild kits as the contacts for the battery compartment corrode. For $499 it's a joke and I felt ripped off.
The ones I have I store with the batteries in the pistol grip. No issues doing that so far.
ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #46
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Now that is something Im surprised at....the 512 is the one with the AA batteries inline with the bore, correct?
Those are the most notorious for battery problems
Ive never had an issue with either. Same with a couple of others in my little group that own 512's. Yeah the batteries dont last as long as other brands, buts thats it
Old 02-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #47
teambeast

AKaholic #: 159168

Just Google "eotech battery corrosion" and you will see a lot of threads on different forums with the same issues and how eotech even has a repair kit for the problem.
teambeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #48
Tldelaney
Cyber Warrior

AKaholic #: 181612

For those interested in the 2017 Eotech EXP3-0... I like it Going to test it out this weekend.

Tldelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #49
Ilovemyak78
Combloc Fanatic

AKaholic #: 169154

I would avoid these i heard that in really bad cold weather that the MOA is like -60 .
Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #50
Mandaree36
Hannibals Mentor

AKaholic #: 4562

Shit....

I have 5 of them...across an assortment of AR's......from 5.56 to 300BO....

And temps...fuck sakes we have some cold shit here.

Never had a fucking hiccup in thousands of rounds, at targets....or game.

I guess I must just be lucky.......

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #51
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaree36 View Post
Shit....

A good review from a guy in North Dakota who owns 5 Eotechs. This should be convincing enough.

Outside of a guy in Alaska with 10 Eotechs, there's pretty much no one with more cold weather and Eotech experience.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #52
IJDM

AKaholic #: 176082

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
A good review from a guy in North Dakota who owns 5 Eotechs. This should be convincing enough.

Outside of a guy in Alaska with 10 Eotechs, there's pretty much no one with more cold weather and Eotech experience.
+1 that's why I just bought one.
IJDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #53
David Teague
Moderator and Shitlord

AKaholic #: 162037

I bought my used 5-6 years ago.

Had it out in sub zero weather shooting over the years.

Neyt, red dot is fine.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #54
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaree36 View Post
Shit....

I have two 512's and here in Chicago with crazy weather swings, never an issue.
The issues with 'Thermal drift' that Eotech has had will not effect 99% of users.
Actually all holographic sights have issues with 'Drift'
Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #55
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
I have two 512's and here in Chicago with crazy weather swings, never an issue.
The issues with 'Thermal drift' that Eotech has had will not effect 99% of users.
Actually all holographic sights have issues with 'Drift'
Yes, but people on the internet read from other people on the internet that Eotechs will cause you to shoot the ground at 10 feet in 35 degree weather.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #56
Alaskajohn

AKaholic #: 178354

Three of my weapons have EOtechs. No issues operating them on the frozen tundra.