Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
chromaatl

AKaholic #: 174913
Default EOTech 512

I'm aware of some of the issues in recent years related to EOTech. That being said, is it worth spending the money on the 512? Compared to other places this seems like a good price. Using the grabaquote I got $259.

https://grabagun.com/eotech-512-tact...-aa-bttry.html
chromaatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
John A.
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178172

I personally like Eotech.

I also watched a video that showed how minor any zero changes due to temperature shifts actually were.

This video may be longer than some people want to spend, but worth taking the time to see what to realistically expect.

Oh, and most of my shooting is well within 100 yards. And many on pistol calibers for quick acquisition, so the "zero shift" is mostly just a moot point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4N8l_sLtC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIXzIK5bwE
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Still using one I've had for a lot of years. I actually traded a LEO from a different county a G22 fish gill Glock for a BNIB Eotech 512. I'm sure he got a very nice LE discount on it back then. For $259 now, I would likely still go for one even if refurbished. Mine has always done it's job, never let me down. Then again, I'm not operating in Afghanistan nor asking infallible results out to 800m or down to -40°F. I've also used the best leak proof batteries that have a guarantee to replace your items if damaged.
I do believe that a lot of folks who owned the Eotechs turned them in under the recall.
Personally, I wouldn't know of anything better to replace mine with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
It is the mission of every leftist to destroy you in any and every way possible.
They aren't your countrymen, they are simply enemy.
Fuck the left. They belong in Hell.

DEFCON 2.4
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Make mine underfolded

AKaholic #: 6893

I bought a 512 second hand, had an internal piece fall apart, and EoTech took it back no questions asked and fixed it for free. I have had 3, and that is the only time I ever had an issue with one, which EoTech quickly fixed. I use their sights with confidence. (Thanks for the heads up, by the way, my Evo Scorpion needs a new red dot).
Make mine underfolded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
chromaatl

AKaholic #: 174913

Thanks to all for their input. I decided after posting to go ahead and get one, which I'm glad I did since they're OOS.
chromaatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Centuriator
Banned

AKaholic #: 195948

Frankly, I hate the bulk of the thing and the "cluttered" reticle. For me, there is nothing better than a single red dot. Gold standard is Aimpoint, but lots of other less expensive options too. Turn it on, leave it on. Change battery once a year. You are golden.

And...I kid you not...in every single carbine class I've taken, most recently two weeks ago, there is *always* one guy whose EOTECH runs out of batteries or he has to turn it back on.

Keep both eyes open, red dot where you want the boolit to go, pull trigger.

Eotech has a big old honking window in front of you with too much crap in the window for my tastes.
Centuriator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

I love Eotech even I own many Aimpoints, just waiting for good deal or rebate to buy one more Eotech.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

I’ve used them for years. I’ve used the ACOG Aimpoints etc but I like the big window and clear glass and super fast ass reticle. I have the EXPS2 sofmod and the AA with throw levers 558 NVG model

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
—-///——///———-///——

pistol caliber carbines/ submachine guns are still good. Even in semi auto. Just ask the British SAS.
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Oldsalt

AKaholic #: 194552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuriator View Post
Frankly, I hate the bulk of the thing and the "cluttered" reticle. For me, there is nothing better than a single red dot. Gold standard is Aimpoint, but lots of other less expensive options too. Turn it on, leave it on. Change battery once a year. You are golden.

And...I kid you not...in every single carbine class I've taken, most recently two weeks ago, there is *always* one guy whose EOTECH runs out of batteries or he has to turn it back on.

Keep both eyes open, red dot where you want the boolit to go, pull trigger.

Eotech has a big old honking window in front of you with too much crap in the window for my tastes.
Mine have been terrific.

The "big old honking window" is an excellent feature that offers excellent situational awareness and the Eotech reticle is fast as hell.

BTW your videos are crap.
Oldsalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:17 AM   #10
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Total scumfuck company. Their product is irrelevant to their fraudulent actions committed against our military and police. I don’t understand why they haven’t been blackballed by the industry and consumers. Their actions were atrocious.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Polytech_81

AKaholic #: 194253

I said fuck EO-Tech way before the thermal drift debacle. My 512 I used to own had the batteries corroded though it was OFF and sitting in my cool, non humid safe at my parents house in CA. Though L3 took it back, cleaned it out and mailed it back to me quickly I lost my trust in it and sold it off at a loss on ebay. Too bad I couldn't see in the future I could have kept it and got my money back through that return program L3 did a few years back.

I switched to Aimpoint T1s after that but now I prefer Holosun, as Aimpoint loves jacking up the price every year and my Holosuns & Primary Arms optics have proven themselves after thousands of rounds in Vegas heat and cold. I still liked the EO Reticle over Aimpoints simple red dot, and seeing the 510C come out I was excited. My 510C is better than my old EO-Tech 512 in almost every way and half the price. The reticule is much crisper than the dotty blurry EO-Tech reticule and though the battery tray is a pain in the ass at least the batteries last much longer and won't corrode on me. If I had to go back to Afghanistan again or Syria and had a choice between a new EO-Tech XPS or a Holosun 510C I'd take the Holosun all day everyday.
Polytech_81 is offline   Reply With Quote