Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
sparky241

AKaholic #: 14115
Default how to adjust kobra red dot

i just got a kobra red dot. I need to adjust it left more than the dial will let me.How can i do this? did anyone ever put the manual in english? i cant read the one i got with it.
sparky241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Petro
((10)) Troll Brigade Ass Leder

AKaholic #: 6097

I have one in english, but i don't have the time to scan it.
Going away for a week, and need to finish packing.
If you don't have it solved by the time when i come back, i'll scan it.
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

See this link.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/kobra-optic-16515/
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738
Default The Kobra Optic

The Kobra is used by members of the OMON SPETsNAZ, famous worldwide as the elite special operations forces of the Russian MVD. Photographs from various trade publications show the sight used on both training missions and in combat action.

The Kobra Sight is an open collimator "red dot" combat optic using laser-generated "heads-up display" (HUD) technology to superimpose a reticle pattern onto a filtered lens which acts as an aiming device for the shooter. This system presents an unobstructed field of view, in 1x power which allows for extremely comfortable, "both eyes open" shooting. On average, most users will see a 1.5 times faster target acquisition and a 50% smaller shot group at 100 meters, in comparison to the iron sights. The filtered lens allows crystal clear viewing and the mounting bracket (which is an integral part of the sight) is centered over the bore for comfortable shooting by both right or left handed end users.

Two primary versions and several sub-type upgrades have been designed for the AK rifle.
Generation 1 model EKP-1S-01, EKP-1S-02, and early EKP-1S-03 used AA batteries but most were of 6-volt operation and had to be run on lithium type 3-volt batteries. They also had flat panel riser brackets with left hand control panels with recessed elevation and windage wheels.
The improved "Generation 1+" EKP-1S-03M uses regular AA batteries and has an improved, extra-strong ribbed riser bracket. EKP-1S-03M is often referred to as the "Generation 3" model, I assume because it has a "3" in the model number, or because it was developed and released after the Generation 2 EKP-8 model. Although it is the most recent release and most upgraded model, it is still based on the Generation 1 frame design and electronics package. It is the most commonly available and most popular model on the Western market.
EKP-8-02 sights (right) are Generation 2 models with completely different frames and sight bodies. They feature a coin type lithium battery driven 3-volt operating system, a new modular designed solid construction riser bracket assembly, right hand controls with flip switch on-off power control, slightly higher main lens, and the omission of the rubber sun hood (a plastic rotary locking sun hood is available only to military personnel). EKP-8-02 has seen limited use among special forces operators, and has been seen at recent military displays inside Russia. One development of Gen 2 modular design has been the creation of Weaver/Picatinney models

The Kobra EKP-1S-03M Fast Acquisition Collimator Sight, made for fitment to standard military Kalashnikov side mount base plates (shown in action above used on an AK-105 carbine with the older style metal stock), is currently used by the Russian armed forces, to include special operators of the MVD including OMON. It has also been seen in service over the last several years in Chechnya, and is a battle tested design which has proven worthy of the Russian military tradition of reliability, form, and function. We have sold the Kobra sight for many years, and proudly continue to offer this reliable, effective sighting tool designed to fit the side mounting scope rail base of the AK rifle. The latest variant EKP-1S-03M, in factory mint condition, with all accessories, packaged in original factory wrapping with camouflage ballistic nylon soft case. If you would like to learn more, please click the link below and we will be glad to send you our current e-mail master product listing. You can also visit our Products Section to see more images and keep up with the current availability and models, as these are continuing to be upgraded at the factory.

These are robust, simple, and effective sights are designed to fit almost all standard side mounting optics plates currently used on Kalashnikov AK rifles of every type. The Kobra will attach without modifications to all forms of European AK side optics plates, to include the Saiga rifle and shotgun, all versions of the Romanian WUM, Romak, CUR, SAR variants, Vepr rifles, Bulgarian w/side mount and many others. They will also fit the side plate of the Dragunov SVD and the Romanian PSL/FPK/Romak 3.

If your rifle has no side plate for optics installed at the factory, you can add one that will mount the Kobra as well as most other Russian weapons optics. We also carry Russian designed side plates that can be easily installed by the owner. These work on both milled and stamped receivers. This would include the Chinese Polytech and Norinco stamped or milled receivers, Hungarian SA-85 and SA2000, Egyptian Maadi ARM/RPM/RML/Misr-90, and practically every other model known to exist.

Since the sight has no magnification, and no lens system, you can use it with both eyes open and maintain full field of view for maximum speed in acquisition, and there is no need to worry about comfort of the shooter, as eye relief can be whatever you feel most accustomed to. The entire sight sits low above the receiver cover, with no overhang towards the stock, meaning you can use it without the need for cheek pads and maintain a good cheek weld with your original stocks. You will be amazed at how comfortable and easy it is to use, as there are no sighting points to align. You just simply point to rifle and overlay the red dot onto the target and fire.

The sight is totally adjustable in every respect. it can be adjusted for both windage and elevation, brightness control (16 levels), and also in reticule design (four built-in designs to choose from, simply by pressing a button). You can also adjust the tightness of the standard mil-spec clamping mechanism for any differences in the clearances of individual rifle optics plates.

The latest version, EKP-1S-03, runs on two standard AA batteries. Two fresh batteries are provided with each sight. The adjustment of the sight for course zero can be accomplished by the use of a special tool (or a small screwdriver). This tool is provided with the sight, and the instruction manual details the adjustment. The manual is sometimes hard to follow in this regard, so I will detail the adjustment here in my web site for anyone to review at their convenience. Once course zero is obtained, fine adjustment for range and windage is made simply by turning scale marked thumbwheels.

WHAT TYPE OF SCOPE IS THE KOBRA SIGHT, AND IS IT MILITARY?
EKP-1S KOBPA "Cobra" is mil-spec and direct from current Russian military suppliers. It is an active electronic "open collimator" type made by Izhevski Motozavod "Axion-Holding" company, in Russia, associated with the Izhmash JSC small arms works. Izhmash is best known as the original factory producing the Kalashnikov weapons systems. It this time, and for the last few years, the Kobra sight has been in service with special forces units in Chechnya and central Russia.

WHAT MATERIALS ARE USED TO MANUFACTURE THE SIGHT?
The sight itself is compact, lightweight and robust. Made chiefly of aluminum alloy and steel, it has a black finish matching European AK finishings, such as found on the modern Russian, Bulgarian and Polish AK weapons. The sight is integral with and includes the sight bracket and sight mounting clamp, which will fit any standard European AK or SVD style side mounted optics plate.

HOW DOES THE KOBRA WORK?
The scope works along the lines of the Brownell Holosight, Armson OEG, Tasco Propoint, and others. However, it has the best features of these in one package, for hundreds of dollars less in many cases. The sight does not use a tube type lens system, being an "open" sight. The sight is turned on by rotating a switch knob found on the left side of the bracket/housing. An LED laser mounted in the front of the body projects a holographic reticle onto a glass lens mounted on the front of the sight. This reticle is selected by the shooter from four differing designs: dot, t-bar, inverted chevron, and dot with inverted chevron. This is done by depressing the reticle selector push button found on the sight bracket. The shooter looks through the lens while positioning the reticle pointer onto the target.

There is no focusing or sight alignment to concentrate on, as the sight does not require you to critically align the reticle in the center of the lens. You simply see the dot and when you pull the trigger, the rounds hit whatever the dot is "projected" over. The sight is fully adjustable for elevation and windage by the adjustment of thumbwheels which are protected by hinged caps when they are not in use.

Because there are no optical lens system involved, such as in a conventional rifle scope, there is no parallax error or focusing to worry about. The brightness (and consequently, the apparent size of the dot) is also adjustable by the shoot, a rocker switch found on the bracket has 16 levels of brightness to choose from. This is important for adapting to changing lighting conditions, and even night shooting. A brighter reticle also offers lightning quick acquisition of daylight close-in targets, while a finer low brightness reticle dot can be used for careful targeting of long distant targets. Many other types of electronic dot scopes cannot be used for long distance shooting because the dot they project is too big.
Reflector light transmission ratio, no less than 60%

WHAT ARE OTHER ADVANTAGES?
The primary advantage of the collimator type scope is the amazingly rapid target acquisition time. Several shots can be fired before even iron sights can be accurately aimed at a medium range target. Many US-made sights of this type do not offer fine adjustment of the reticle, or even quick change of the reticle design. Some are made of plastic but cost hundreds more. Many were originally designed to be used on paintball guns and crossbows, and have not been designed from the beginning for rugged firearms use. The Cobra also has a needed improvement in the laser exit port. Others simply have a hole, while the EKP-1S has a lens covering the exit port to keep debris from clogging the port. Many users of other sights have complained of this problem. The built-in value of this inexpensive scope is refreshing.

Other features include a gold iridium coated primary lens, which provides superior reflectivity to the shooter, and filters the laser light to keep the target from observing your infra-red light source. The sight also has an optional rubber lens hood, which can be attached to keep extremely bright sunlight from hampering the observation of the reticle by the shooter.

HOW WELL DOES IT WORK?
The Cobra is truly fun to shoot. There is no alignment except to place the red pointer or t-bar on the target. I have mounted the rifle in a bench rest at night, with the illuminated reticle at a near lowest setting, getting an exceptionally small dot on target.
Moving my head at least an inch in either direction while aiming the weapon at a very distant point, the pointer did not move at all, meaning you do not even have to really center the reticle in the lens. If you see the red light over the intended target, pull the trigger.
Kobra is designed to fit low and snug over the receiver cover on the AK. It is rugged, comes in a cool nylon Russian Summer Woodland pattern camo pouch, 3 year guarantee, latest technology. And the price, similar US scopes of this same type, some made of plastic, are several times the cost.

Magnification 1x
Reticle mark types 3
Brightness levels 16
Weight 410 g

CAN YOU USE IT FOR LONGER DISTANCES?
The sight is electronically adjusted to display up to 16 different brightness settings. In my estimate the dot (when the sight is set for a single dot, it actually has three differing reticles) not only gets brighter but at the dimmer end it changes size with each change in the setting. This may be an optical illusion or is actually the case. However, you can decrease the brightness until the dot is only a fine point of light, until finally you cannot see it in certain lighting conditions (i.e. bright sunlight). Basically, the size of the dot varies with the setting of the brightness, and the smallest setting would depend upon the shooters ability to see the dot, and the lighting conditions. I really do not think the dot actually physically changes in size, but the perception of the size is due to the brightness.

I have tested the sights' ability to be used on mid-long range targets. This was done in the afternoon, under good sunlight but late in the day. At the lowest setting where I could still see the dot comfortably, I estimated coverage at 100 meters (I have it marked off) at about 1.5 MOA (estimate for 100 yards). I set the sight at a medium setting and estimated about double this. You may get better or worse results due to your individual eyesight and the amount of light at the time. The sight is actually able to decrease the size of the reticle until it is not observable to the naked eye. So it would be up to you to find the right blend of brightness for each situation. The sight is not designed for shooting at very long range targets, but it does have the ability to outdistance to average red dot sights currently available.

Size of aiming dot 1.8 MOA

Set to a super low brightness setting, you can pinpoint minute targets at night in rapid speed. Using a very low brightness setting, you can zero in on individual stars, as an example. And the centering of the reticle is not at all important because with the rifle in a rest, I found that even moving the reticle from side to side or up and down in the lens did not change the point of aim. Amazing and nice since I do not have to make sure I'm centered, like in a peep sight, before I fire.

WHAT ABOUT BATTERIES?
The latest version of Kobra (EKP-1S-03) uses regular AA batteires (2). The manual states the battery will last an average of 70 hours with the reticle on a medium setting.

HOW GOOD IS THE MOUNTING SYSTEM?
Removing and reinstalling the scope on the weapon results in absolutely no loss of zero. As with all scopes mounted with the war-tested standard military Russian bracket/clamp system (this is the exact same clamp as Russian military 1P29 sniper scope, and night vision 1PN58 and 1PN51, NSPU, NSPUM, NSP3, etc.), there is no loss whatsoever of zero. This is the most reliable and quickest mount/dismount system you will find available anywhere. Rock tight. This clamp is also fully adjustable to fit all deviations in specific firearms mounting plates from other countries.

ZERO

INTRODUCTION

Once you have attached the sight to the rifle, there are a few things you can do at home, that will make it simple and quick to do the final fine adjustment to zero the rifle at the range. First, make sure the clamp is secured tightly to the side plate, and adjust the clamp mechanism by changing the bottom screw setting if there is any play in the fitting. Do not overtighten.

OPTIONAL PRE-RANGE COURSE ADJUSTMENT

If the iron sights of the rifle have already been adjusted for zero, and the accuracy of the rifle has already been checked beforehand, you can do a rough zero at home of the Kobra sight with the mount attached, before spending excess ammunition at the range to accomplish the task. This can also be done indoors if you have at least 25 feet of room. I do this in my garage. Place the rifle in a bench vise or clamp, or other applicable secured mount that will ensure the rifle is not disturbed, by padding the receiver with wood blocks or leather strips, or cardboard, to protect the finish. Make sure you can remove or install the sight while the rifle is in the vise. Now, point the rifle at a distant wall or object (the farther away the better), and aim the iron sights to a specific point. You can tape a piece of paper up to this point, and have a friend use a marker to mark the exact spot the rifle is aimed to with the iron sights.
Now mount the Kobra, set it to dot mode, turn the intensity of the dot down until you can see just a small star sized point of light, and sight in on the dot your friend has marked on the wall. How far off are you from zero?
Both windage and elevation turret knob adjusters are located under protective caps on the rear of the sight. Pop both caps open Elevation is on the top, while windage is on the right side of the sight housing. Now you can use the following range procedure, at home, to adjust these knobs until the sight dot is aligned perfectly with the iron sights. This will give a very close estimate of zero, and when you get to the range very little will need to be done in order to bring the sight into fine tuned zero at 100 meters.

NOTE:

You can adjust the sight for major discrepancies between it's point of aim (POA) and the actual point of impact (POI) by loosening the turret adjusting knobs and manually rotating them around and around. There can often be quite a bit of tolerance in the installations of side plates between certain models of rifles, and it would be impossible to ensure these sights are close to zero out-of-the-box. But one virtue of the sight is that it is able to allow major adjustments to the reticule location than many high magnification sights can offer. Because this scope has no magnification, adjustments to the position of the reticule as it appears on the lens are almost visually invisible to the naked eye. You will not perceive that the dot moves by simply rotating the scale adjustment through it's standard clicks. At 100 meters an adjustment of the scale setting from 0-7 (to go all the way to the right) is only 8.5 inches total deflection (about 8.5 MOA) at 100 meters. This is 3,937 inches in range for an 8 inch adjustment (1:492 ratio). At you eye to the surface of the lens, about 5-7 inches, this would compute to a change in movement of the dot on the lens of less than 1/64th of an inch. Because this scope has no magnification, adjustments to the reticule position at the main lens are minute.

RANGE PROCEDURE: SIGHTING IN THE KOBRA

Elevation and windage adjustments on the Cobra are made via 2 adjustment wheels (referred to as "handles" in the manual) that are located under their protective caps on the top and right side of the Cobra. These wheels are numbered from 0-7 in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions and incorporate stops to prevent turning the wheels past '7' in either direction. Each number represents a change of 3.1cm @ 100 meters or approximate. 1.1 inches @ 100 yards. Under normal conditions, after the sight has had the initial mechanical zero set, these wheels will be used to make fine adjustments in the windage of the sight, and also for the range the target is located at (elevation).

INITIAL MECHANICAL ZERO ADJUSTMENT

Examination of the wheels shows a single-slotted screw at the exact center. This CENTER SCREW does not need to be adjusted in any way. Just outside this screw (referred to as "lead screw" in the manual) is another slotted SPANNER SCREW (referred to as a "nut" in the manual). This "nut" is only loosened on the Elevation knob if adjustments need to be made outside the stops of the wheels (see example below). This slotted nut is loosened by using the supplies special spanner wrench tool. For windage, the adjusting wheel has an OFFSET SCREW, that is actually the stop for the detent, and by unscrewing this small screw (not the center screw) about 3.5 turns, you can then spin this wheel without loosening any other screws on the windage wheel. NOTE: New versions of the sight may not have an offset screw, therefore the windage wheel on these models must be adjusted in the same method as the elevation wheel.

If you are adjusting for windage on the range, the suggested beginning range is 25 m/yds. Set the Cobra reticle to 'dot' and reduce intensity until you have the smallest and dimmest dot that can still be seen clearly. From a rest fire a 3-shot group. With the rifle 'on "safe" examine the target for deviation from your aiming point. Page 10 of the Cobra manual shows how to read the markings on the wheels to move your group closer to your aiming point. At 25m/yds each click or number change will move the impact point approximate 1/4". After sighting in at 25m/yds move back to 100m/yds and repeat the 25m/yd procedure.

After sighting-in you may wish the wheels to show '0'. This allows you to make field adjustments and still return to your original setting without difficulty. During the sight-in process you may need to adjust beyond the initial '7' stops of the wheels. To do this you use the double-prong end of the "screwdriver-wrench" tool provided in the camo carry pouch. Use the double-prong end to unscrew the slotted 'nut' about 1.5-2 turns. Now you can lift the wheel up and off the actual adjustment mechanism and rotate the wheel in either direction without moving the adjustment mechanism itself.

EXAMPLE:

While trying to adjust the elevation you turn the wheel clockwise until it stops at '7'. You need to turn the wheel further clockwise past '7'. You unscrew the slotted 'nut' about 1.5-2 turns (loosen only, do not remove), enough to lift the wheel up and off the adjustment mechanism. You can now turn the wheel counter-clockwise back to '0' (or further), press down on the wheel to re-engage the adjustment mechanism and turn the wheel clockwise again to adjust further. Repeat if needed. Once the desired setting has been reached just lift the wheel up, rotate it until the marker points to '0', press down to re-engage the adjustment mechanism and then re-tighten the slotted 'nut'.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
sparky241

anyone know where i can get the proper tool for this? i think one was suppose to come with it but it didnt. i have the case , cleaning cloth and directions but thats all
Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Aaron 2.0

AKaholic #: 44464

Double check inside at the very top of the pouch. There should be a little velcro type hidden pocket that holds the tool. Worth a try, right?
Aaron 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
sparky241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 2.0
Double check inside at the very top of the pouch. There should be a little velcro type hidden pocket that holds the tool. Worth a try, right?
holly shit Aaron you are the man! i didnt notice that at all and i dont think the other owner did either. its still in the original plastic with a piece of wax paper.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
camaro1509
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 147889

lol OMON SPETsNAZ use eotechs now https://www.google.com/search?q=omon...l%3B1000%3B668 https://www.google.com/search?q=omon...2F%3B400%3B303 that first is puttin n omon
camaro1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
dhtexas

AKaholic #: 161409

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1509 View Post
Who gives a crap Camaro? The op is asking how to adjust a Kobra not a recommendation what to buy. Why don't you contribute something useful for once instead of being the troll that you are?
dhtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
atakacorp
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162039

OP unscrew the big screw with two notches all the way, remove the wheel ,you'll see little metal ball on the side use magnet to take it and the spring under it out. DONT LOSE IT. same thing with the windage wheel , no need to take little parts to the range you'llneed small screwdriver to adjust your Kobra , put everything back after the range trip.
Man my English sucks ,Sorry
atakacorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
U.S. Fortunate Son

AKaholic #: 173724

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky241 View Post
holly shit Aaron you are the man! i didnt notice that at all and i dont think the other owner did either. its still in the original plastic with a piece of wax paper.
That adjustment tool is very very hard to find. I just located mine and was about to email to let them know I didn't get one before I read that. To be more clear, it's on the inside at the top part of the camo pouch, not the lid/flap. It will be in brown waxed paper. Open the Velcro and jam your fingers in there and feel around real good. You may or may not find it right away. It truly is hidden and hard to find. It's there, so long as you didn't get a demo model somebody ganked it out of.
U.S. Fortunate Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
545prepper

AKaholic #: 175799

may help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVg5Bi1X9Y
545prepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
indianafarmer

AKaholic #: 173293

Where do you buy kobra red dots and how do you know you're not buying a fake?
indianafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
maxxmojo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154628

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianafarmer View Post
Where do you buy kobra red dots and how do you know you're not buying a fake?
They come up for sale every once in a while in the Marketplace, but Atlantic Firearms and Kalinka Optics are two retailers I know of off the top of my head that sell them. In regards to spotting fakes, if you scroll to the bottom of this page, it'll give you a quick rundown on what to look for.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
hagar

AKaholic #: 786

Tagged
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
indianafarmer

AKaholic #: 173293

Thank you max
indianafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Archivist Dick

AKaholic #: 1437
Red face Duuuh, First Generation

Just acquired a like-in Kobra Gen-1 outfit.

Am not having much luck finding AA-size 3v lithiums on-line available for sale.

Would appreciate reading a "other there" response. Thank in advance.
Archivist Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #18
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

OMON never been elite, it is pretty much same police with bit better training, equipment and transportation. I would say same as SWAT in US.
Spetznaz is more military type of division with way better skills etc.
Zemlyak is online now   Reply With Quote