Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #316
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

I will sum it all up. For general fitness don't worry about what exercise you do. Just Do something and do it most everyday. You need to sweat. Treadmill, weights, basketball, etc. if you arent sweating while weightlifting then quit resting and start moving. Diet for weightloss means eating three meals a day with no snacks in bewteen meals or after supper. NO SNACKS! Eat a diet almost entirely of meat and veggies. Starches and fruits in very small quantities. Drink unsweet beverages exclusively. Drink alcohol rarely. If you feel full during or after anymeal then you ate too much in that sitting. Adjust as necessary. If you never feel hunger (slight not severe) at somepoint during thr day then you are overeating.

Don't overcomplicate this. Do what I wrote above and don't deviate. Results are gauranteed and they will be dramatic. Lie to yourself at anytime during the process and you will fail.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #317
armimiller

AKaholic #: 193503

Ever since I got my truck and installed mud tires on it, I've been doing off-road driving a lot. It's not much of an exercise, unlike hunting. Now I ordered a bike and will start cycling soon but I need to build up my stamina by jogging. I'm looking forward to running away from my sedentary lifestyle since I'm not getting any younger.
armimiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #318
chewbacca_chump29

AKaholic #: 180913

I've been doing a carb and sugar free diet. The first week was hard. Now it's getting easier. I've lost 65 pounds since starting it. I also have a consistent energy level.
chewbacca_chump29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #319
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

I was making great progress with working out and eating right until about two months ago. Then...well...life got in the way and I fell off. Thing are back on track now and its back on that horse. Finally able to get back into a routine. I'll wait until this weekend to hop on the scale and get my starting (again) weight. I would say "wish me luck", but I don't need it!
Solid Snake 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #320
SAIGA 5.45
Ak files National Shoot Hooligan #1

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
I was making great progress with working out and eating right until about two months ago. Then...well...life got in the way and I fell off. Thing are back on track now and its back on that horse. Finally able to get back into a routine. I'll wait until this weekend to hop on the scale and get my starting (again) weight. I would say "wish me luck", but I don't need it!
I'm trying hard not to let that happen and keep up my workouts, if anything I am trying to up my reps now and make them harder and I'm up to running twice a week now without being fatigued.

I did haul a 120 lb davit base around yesterday and the rigging for a good bit so I didn't need to workout when I got home. Sum bitch was heavy for dimensionally not being real big

Last edited by SAIGA 5.45; 09-06-2017 at 07:50 AM.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #321
John Hunt Morgan
Statue Removed

AKaholic #: 168039

I've lost right at 65 lbs and still on it.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #322
chewbacca_chump29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hunt Morgan View Post
I've lost right at 65 lbs and still on it.
Congrats dude!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #323
John Hunt Morgan
Statue Removed

AKaholic #: 168039

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca_chump29 View Post
Congrats dude!
Thank you !

I really don't know how I ate and drank 100% garbage before I started this.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #324
chewbacca_chump29

Any of you guys into cycling? I just dropped some coin on a Trek Project 1 Domane. I just think cycling is easier on my knees compared to running. I've been trying to do 25 miles a day. I really want to start tackling some nice gradients. What do you guys try to keep your heart rate at when going up steeper hills?
Old 09-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #325
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Any of you guys into cycling? I just dropped some coin on a Trek Project 1 Domane. I just think cycling is easier on my knees compared to running. I've been trying to do 25 miles a day. I really want to start tackling some nice gradients. What do you guys try to keep your heart rate at when going up steeper hills?
Years ago I was into cycling. I would ride to and from work in the summer, about 20 miles each way. It was great. At the time, my belly was too big for drop handlebars. I went with a flat bar road bike. Today I still have a Felt Speed 50, though I don't ride as much as I'd like. I will say this, get a couple pairs of bike shorts. The spandex kind with the maxi-pad thing sewn into the crotch. If you don't want to be seen riding in spandex, throw some regular shorts over them but the sewn in crotch pad is a life saver on long rides.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #326
trainsktg

AKaholic #: 170324

Quote:
Lots of runners turn to cycling because of knee issues. My knees were blown so bad (not from running) I had to wrap them daily for years. Once I took up cycling three years ago, my knee issues have for all intent and purpose disappeared.

For steeper grades, the secret is cadence. Do not 'grind'. 'Spin' instead. Higher rpms at slightly lower power with each rev (good) yields the same or better sustained power than lower rpms with higher power per rev (bad).

I pretty much don't pay attention to HR, although I do track it. I am much more interested in pacing by keeping rpms and power in sustainable zones depending on the length of the climb and grade. I'll tackle short 0.2 or 0.3 mile 15% grades much differently than I will 20 mile 5% grades.

Keith

Last edited by trainsktg; 09-28-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Crap grammar
trainsktg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #327
chewbacca_chump29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
Lots of runners turn to cycling because of knee issues. My knees were blown so bad (not from running) I had to wrap them daily for years. Once I took up cycling three years ago, my knee issues have for all intent and purpose disappeared.

For steeper grades, the secret is cadence. Do not 'grind'. 'Spin' instead. Higher rpms at slightly lower power with each rev (good) yields the same or better sustained power than lower rpms with higher power per rev (bad).

I pretty much don't pay attention to HR, although I do track it. I am much more interested in pacing by keeping rpms and power in sustainable zones depending on the length of the climb and grade. I'll tackle short 0.2 or 0.3 mile 15% grades much differently than I will 20 mile 5% grades.

Keith
Thanks for the great info!!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #328
Str8liner
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174699

No updates in here for awhile so how is everyone doing? Hopefully you guys are still at it.I finally hit my 3rd and "final" weight goal this week of 180lbs. Down 65 lbs since March. The difference in the way I feel is amazing.

I could actually go to 170-175 I think....Mrs. says I am showing signs of anorexia lol.
Str8liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #329
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
No updates in here for awhile so how is everyone doing? Hopefully you guys are still at it.I finally hit my 3rd and "final" weight goal this week of 180lbs. Down 65 lbs since March. The difference in the way I feel is amazing.

I could actually go to 170-175 I think....Mrs. says I am showing signs of anorexia lol.
I am hovering at 185 to 190, up to running at least a couple times a week usually a couple miles each time on up and down hard grades. Incorporating more bodyweight exercises into my upper body regimen, I actually got out 20 pull-ups without stopping last week, which for as long and skinny as my arms are I was pretty stoked about.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #330
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
I am hovering at 185 to 190, up to running at least a couple times a week usually a couple miles each time on up and down hard grades. Incorporating more bodyweight exercises into my upper body regimen, I actually got out 20 pull-ups without stopping last week, which for as long and skinny as my arms are I was pretty stoked about.
I think the running and cardio is what really helped me lose weight. Especially when I started doing it in the morning. In the beginning I did high reps of light weight but the last month or so have started trying to build some strength with heavier weight.

I am like you with the long skinny arms. My genetics never have been such that I can get very strong. It is frustrating because I am in the best shape of my life, but feel weak as hell when it comes to lifting weights. I was a lot stronger when I was a 250 lb fat ass lol.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #331
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
I think the running and cardio is what really helped me lose weight. Especially when I started doing it in the morning. In the beginning I did high reps of light weight but the last month or so have started trying to build some strength with heavier weight.

I am like you with the long skinny arms. My genetics never have been such that I can get very strong. It is frustrating because I am in the best shape of my life, but feel weak as hell when it comes to lifting weights. I was a lot stronger when I was a 250 lb fat ass lol.
I don't lift at all, Chuck Norris machine and body weight exercises,free weights are no friends to my joints and I never really gained or did very well with them. I have only been at it hard about 5-6 months now but I am literally in way better shape than I was when I was 20, I would beat the shit out of a 20 year old version of myself no contest. I wouldn't say I have really put on any size, just toned and strengthened and moved fat from areas and turned it into well exercised muscle.

Herschel Walker is good inspiration, that dude for his age could beat the shit outta 99.9% of people walking on this planet and he is up there in age a bit. Doesn't lift weights ever.

I also tend to trick my chuck norris machine because I only weigh so much I add weight when I need to up difficulty, usually ammo cans, but I like it, allows me to work ranges of motion you can't do with free weights and also works those small little stabilizer muscles really well.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #332
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Quote:

Holy smokes that is awesome man. And hard to do. I went from 221 to 176, took a job w high stress and long hours (all meals at desk) and went back up to where I am now which is about 220. I should be no more than say 200 or so. Diet is terrible and that is the main culprit. Need to get back on the wagon.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #333
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Holy smokes that is awesome man. And hard to do. I went from 221 to 176, took a job w high stress and long hours (all meals at desk) and went back up to where I am now which is about 220. I should be no more than say 200 or so. Diet is terrible and that is the main culprit. Need to get back on the wagon.
The overworked stress thing is pretty tough to deal with. I need to work on handling stress better too. I get way to worked up over things and that is just as bad as being out of shape I think. I found that exercising is the best thing for me to get my mind off of things. Wasn't going to do anything tonight but I am working legs and forearms just because I feel like I need to do something other than watch TV.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #334
s10nova

AKaholic #: 163662

I was doing good but have slacked off...working the dupont swing can bite...
Must start back up..
s10nova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #335
s10nova

AKaholic #: 163662

Oh and picking my 2 yr old up apparently wrong tweaked my back and I'm having some soreness in my left wrist (I'm right handed)
I've been using dumbbells and stationary bike...wondering if using wrong form on the weights....guess this is why it could be worth it to seek a professional trainer..? Thoughts on that or experience
s10nova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #336
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10nova View Post
Oh and picking my 2 yr old up apparently wrong tweaked my back and I'm having some soreness in my left wrist (I'm right handed)
I've been using dumbbells and stationary bike...wondering if using wrong form on the weights....guess this is why it could be worth it to seek a professional trainer..? Thoughts on that or experience
Stretch, every day, stretch some more, keep up fluids and make sure you aren't deficient on potassium.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:28 AM   #337
hebie82

AKaholic #: 193869

Anyone in the FB group? Didnt know if it was still active or not.

Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Non ducor, duco.
hebie82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #338
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

I cut out sugar and pop (soda) a few weeks ago, I have not changed lifestyle which is mostly sedentary due to work even though I have a standing desk, but I’m already scrunching down on my belt considerably, amazing what how cutting that out had an almost immediate (2-3 weeks is immediate) impact on my size

I’m maintaining being skinny since leaving the Army and plan to keep it that way
Old 10-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #339
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
I cut out sugar and pop (soda) a few weeks ago, I have not changed lifestyle which is mostly sedentary due to work even though I have a standing desk, but Iím already scrunching down on my belt considerably, amazing what how cutting that out had an almost immediate (2-3 weeks is immediate) impact on my size

Iím maintaining being skinny since leaving the Army and plan to keep it that way
Yes sir that is the #1 thing I contribute my weight loss to. Cutting out the sugar.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #340
WAguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183147

I started 9 months ago after an injury, pretty thin at 5'11" 160lbs. my goal is to increase strength size and stamina, basically make my body a machine. Since my last post here on 6/18/2017 I've put on about 11lbs, body fat has gone down. I'm at 180-82 lean right now, want to get up to and maintain a lean 195. I do bench press, pistol squats, and massive amounts of pull ups and chin ups and dips. Weighted pull ups/dips really put a lot of mass on my body, I'm a classic "hardgainer".

I think the fact that I changed to a healthier diet and stopped drinking really helps. I also experienced far better gains when I switched to making my own "gainer" shakes with banana/oats/PB/milk instead of the expensive gainer supplement powders.

Last edited by WAguns; 11-03-2017 at 04:14 AM.
WAguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #341
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Does anyone here carry at the gym? If so, how do you carry?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #342
WAguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183147

Quote:
g19 in my ccw holster, inside the small backpack I bring to the gym. backpack usually has a small towel, water bottle, sweatshirt, protein bar in the big pocket. holstered g19 in middle pocket, and I put my phone, keys and wallet in the front pocket usually. I just set my pack down in whatever corner im working in.

but the "gym" I go to isn't a real gym lol it's just the one that's at my apartment complex. Its more like a large garage with a bench and pull up/dip bars with a few treadmills.
WAguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #343
Woods

AKaholic #: 176309

Quote:
I do also but theirs a no guns sign but all thy can do is kick me out if they see it so no biggie lol I put it n my duffle bag and lock it up n the lockers . You never know around here in Vegas especially the gym I goto. A lot of goons around that area . Plus I go at 5am so it’s mostly the older crowd at 5pm holy shit it’s a mess crowded as hell .

Last edited by Woods; 11-15-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Woods is offline   Reply With Quote