Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
rangerup

AKaholic #: 193154
Default Romanian PSL 54c

Hi guys,
I have been searching around Armslist and GB for going rates for these rifles.

I have read there are several variations. Romanian built CAI import, TGN American built, stuff like that.

What in your guys expertise is the fair market value on a PSL 54c in excellent condition (at least in the pics I seen). Has a couple of mags, non illuminated LPS TIP2 Scope. Original accessory pouch with rods and cleaning kit. Amber scope lens.

Overall the rifle looks amazing. It does say made by ROMARM SA CUGIR in Romania. Imported by CAI. It does have the bayonet lug although the latch points have been shaved, the nub is still there.

The seller is asking $1500 firm. I see them kinda price right around there but with so many variations is this one that edges out another? From what I read this is about as close to milspec being handed out overseas as you can get right now.

Thanks in advance fellas.
rangerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
Hypan

AKaholic #: 190244

Honestly these have been creeping up for a while. I have a feeling when it's all said and done nice specimens will settle around 1500-2000

I've been searching as well for a nice one, I'd feel comfortable around 12-1300 but if a really nice numbers matching one came my way for 1500 I may jump on it. It would have to be unfurled and really nice.
Hypan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
rangerup

I have noticed they have been creeping as well. Was hoping since it is a Romanian firearm and we get tons of WASRs that we would also get a ton of these but seems like it is a bit different.

I guess even though the receiver is built in a Romanian factory it is assembled on a parts kit? I wonder what barrels are used or if they are built totally over there then neutered to get in. The one I have been looking at has the bay lug sides shaved and flash hider pinned. Funny cause I always thought the pinned FH was to make it legal 16in length. I think these have a 24in barrel?

Back to the barrel, it looks gorgeous and bright and the bore certainly looks chrome lined from the pics just unsure if the whole thing is. Whatever is "milspec" I would be cool with since they say a non chrome lined barrel is actually better for accuraccy but then try to find cheap non corrosive 762.54r lol. TulAmmo and more expensive hunting cartridges are pretty much the only choices. Even the ol 440rd 147gr spam cans are drying up or folks are asking way too much for corrosive ammo.

Well I guess I got my answer. 12-1500 is the going rate for a PSL these days. As much as I want one now I really wish I would have nabbed them up when they were 600 lol.

Since its Romanian shouldn't there be a steady supply of these coming in? I know they are mass producing them for the Iraqi and Afghani Armies but its not like they are banned from import right?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

I don't think any more are coming in. I have waited for awhile. If you see a clean example just buy it.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
rangerup

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
I don't think any more are coming in. I have waited for awhile. If you see a clean example just buy it.
well that's all the excuse I needed to buy a new rifle lol. I think I'll scoop it up.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
ratmil

AKaholic #: 190051

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerup View Post
well that's all the excuse I needed to buy a new rifle lol. I think I'll scoop it up.
That's exactly what I did. I kept talking myself out of one back when there were in the $575 range (scoped). Then I talked myself out of them when they were $575 (no scope). Then they dissappeared ... and have not been back since. And nobody - for years now - has had any inkling of more coming in. And then I found out that the Romanians were getting military assistance funds to get those into the hands of Iraqi, Ukrainian and other forces. So, little chance of excess civilian capacity for the foreseeable future.

So I hunted for several months and came up with a local deal for $1300, which included a PSL sporter, a 440 tin of ammo, and a Russian PSO Rangefinder scope. I wanted a Romy scope, but this PSO rangefinder is really quite nice - superior to the Romy scope, even though it is not "authentic" to the PSL. I'm really enjoying this rifle, despite the pricing. I wouldn't go past $1500 personally even for a pristine ANIB example.

At the moment (literally) I am heating up a rubber recoil pad in the oven to see if I can stretch it over the rear stock. It's supposedly an AK/SKS/PSL recoil pad, but it's a good 3/4 inch short for the PSL stock.

“Who doesn’t respect and value his past, is not worth the honour of the present, and has no right to a future.” ― Józef Piłsudski

"Bacon and alcohol increase chances of rectal cancer." ― AICR.
ratmil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
ncreptile
Bill the Butcher for President
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

I'd wait around and see if you cannot find one for under $1300. $1500 just seems a bit high to me.

I gotta be that guy that mentions getting one back when they were $700 and came with 4 magazines, bag and scope. The good days.
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
ratmil

AKaholic #: 190051

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
I'd wait around and see if you cannot find one for under $1300. $1500 just seems a bit high to me.

I gotta be that guy that mentions getting one back when they were $700 and came with 4 magazines, bag and scope. The good days.
Ha - I beat you ... I posted about when they were $575, scope, mags, bag, oiler ...

Of course, I remember nickel and diming between my Romak at $199 and a Maadi at $250. And the Bulgys at $299 were just too extravagent.

“Who doesn’t respect and value his past, is not worth the honour of the present, and has no right to a future.” ― Józef Piłsudski

"Bacon and alcohol increase chances of rectal cancer." ― AICR.
ratmil is online now   Reply With Quote