Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
SillyNoob

AKaholic #: 187474
Default full auto bolt carrier not working in sam7?

Hi, my American made hammer beat the snot out of factory bolt carrier on my sam7. So...I filed down the hump on the hammer in hopes of halting the deformation of the bolt carrier tail....but to no avail. The bolt carrier tail continued to deform. I decided to swap out the American hammer with a bulgarian hammer, and to swap out the old bolt carrier with a spare polish carrier I had lying around that I had bough from apex parts. So I tried putting the polish carrier on the sam7 and noticed it wouldn't fit all the way. I think it's because the polish carrier has that extra tab on the end which is common with full auto bolt carriers. Anyone else tried putting a full auto bolt carrier onto a sam7 and have the same issue?

Last edited by SillyNoob; 12-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.
SillyNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

AKaholic #: 186184

That SAM7 is a milled receiver. I believe I remember someone else on the Files doing some filing to make one of those work but it being a milled receiver is the reason it does not just fit right in.

Edit: KVAR sells a Bulgy carrier for it. Maybe give K-VAR a call. They can steer you in the right direction.

You can probably keep shooting the old one and be OK as long as it does not stick in the back of the recoil spring. You can file off the hard edges on both sides of the tail.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by RockyTop1911; 12-11-2017 at 09:34 AM.
RockyTop1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyNoob View Post
Hi, my American tapco hammer beat the snot out of factory bolt carrier on my sam7. So...I filed down the hump on the hammer in hopes of halting the deformation of the bolt carrier tail....but to no avail. The bolt carrier tail continued to deform. I decided to swap out the American hammer with a bulgarian hammer, and to swap out the old bolt carrier with a spare polish carrier I had lying around that I had bough from apex parts. So I tried putting the polish carrier on the sam7 and noticed it wouldn't fit all the way. I think it's because the polish carrier has that extra tab on the end which is common with full auto bolt carriers. Anyone else tried putting a full auto bolt carrier onto a sam7 and have the same issue?
What kind of round count on this? Did you replace the stock TG with the Tapco? I've got 3 SAM7's and hardly no deformation, but my round count on them is low.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

I have heard of the issue with the full auto bolt carrier in the SAM7.

Somebody did end up machining the trip lug off of the bolt carrier.

I'm not sure what was done to the receivers to cause that.

Also make sure you use a milled receiver bolt carrier and not a stamped receiver bolt carrier.

I think there will still be interference with the full auto lug.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
SillyNoob

Thanks guys, I have about 1000 rounds through the rifle.
Actually it isn't a tapco hammer, my mistake, its made by arsenal (of las vegas). Its still an american made hammer. You guys are right, should've switched it out prior to shooting the rifle. I think arsenal left a little metal on the rail so that the trip lug would stop about an inch back from it's final position.

Originally I had planned on buying a bulgy semi auto carrier from k-var, but they've been out of stock for months on the website.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Any pictures of the original carrier and the "damage" area?
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Had my wife shooting the SAM7 last week and haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet,so I just took it apart to look at the carrier tail because of this thread and actually not too happy with the mushrooming right now. It has maybe 5-600 rnds through it. I'm definately going to reprofile the hammer and I'll be really keeping an eye on the other two which only have about 200 rnds on them. Thanks for starting this thread OP. Just took these pics of the one mentioned above that the wife was shooting. I would never have thought there was anything to be concerned about on the Arsenal TG's but apparently they need watching. This has never been brought up about SAM7's before and I'm surprised it hasn't.
5-600 rnds

My phone sucks at close up pics and don't have my camera.

Last edited by HK-91; 12-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.
HK-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
case mouth

AKaholic #: 185886

My carrier looks about like HK 91s with about 700 rounds with stock trigger, stock everything actually. I think I read that a batch of SAMs mushrooms and others didnt. Wonder if Arsenal would remedy (doubt it)
I think the real trouble is when it mushrooms down enough to contact the bolt and locks things up. I had that happen on a CII amd and i just filed the bottom of the shroom, would be disappointed to have to take such measures with a SAM.
case mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

I have about 800+ rounds on one of my SAMs. The carrier mushroomed a bit and then stopped. Shoots great.
My other SAM has just over 700 and has done the same.

No issues so far and the mushrooming has appeared to have stopped or has really slowed down.

Have not done anything to my trigger hammers.

Many of my AKs have some deformation to the carrier lug but no issues.

The pictures really exaggerate the deformation but to the naked eye, it's barely noticeable.

SAM 7 SF 800+ Rds

SAM 7 R 700+ Rds
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by RockyTop1911; 12-11-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
SillyNoob

I don't usually post on forums, I'll try to figure out how to upload images and post.

scottyhipockets is right, @hk91, @case_mouth, I recommend you guys buy the bulgy hammers from k-var. I reprofiled my american made hammer after the first few hundred rounds and shooting the gun still continued to deform the bolt carrier. Don't take the risk, especially now since k-var is having trouble importing replacement parts for the arsenal rifles.
I've been looking to buy a new bulgy semi-auto bolt carrier (just-in-case) for more than a few months, but they've been out of stock on the website.

Last edited by SillyNoob; 12-11-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
SillyNoob

Here's a pic of my carrier tail:

Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyNoob View Post
Here's a pic of my carrier tail:

That doesn't look bad at all. You could file the edges a bit if you want. As long as it's not sticking in the back of the recoil spring, your good to go.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I would file clean the safety tails up and be sure the hammer cannot contact the firing pin until the carrier is in full battery with the bolt.

Monitor the carrier tail after clean up after future shooting sessions..
They often stay stable after initial forming like in the pic.

Doesn't hurt to profile the hammer a bit though.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
I would file clean the safety tails up and be sure the hammer cannot contact the firing pin until the carrier is in full battery with the bolt.

Listen to this guy. He knows more about this stuff than the rest of us combined.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
SillyNoob

Quote:

Will Do!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #16
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:

I just ordered 3 Bulgarian hammers from K-Var just to be on the safe side. When you say to re profile the hammers to you mean like the G2's rounding out that sharp hump? Will I need to consider doing it to the Bulgarian hammers also? Couldn't see what kind of profile they have on K-Var's site when I ordered them the pic was of the front.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #17
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-91 View Post
I just ordered 3 Bulgarian hammers from K-Var just to be on the safe side. When you say to re profile the hammers to you mean like the G2's rounding out that sharp hump? Will I need to consider doing it to the Bulgarian hammers also? Couldn't see what kind of profile they have on K-Var's site when I ordered them the pic was of the front.
If you can determine where/how the peening is caused ad feel confident about gently modifying the parts before install or after puling them for the mod etc.
Not science but do it carefully and only what is required for removal.

Hand cycle with the cover removed to see where the contact and wear/peening is occurring as the hammer and carrier contact etc.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #18
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
If you can determine where/how the peening is caused ad feel confident about gently modifying the parts before install or after puling them for the mod etc.
Not science but do it carefully and only what is required for removal.

Hand cycle with the cover removed to see where the contact and wear/peening is occurring as the hammer and carrier contact etc.
Ok got it, thanks. I usually have my FFL do my hammers at his shop, he does them on his polishing wheel and he's a machinist by trade, has a rock steady hand and they come out perfect and he cold blues them to finish them off. I get it done for free so I always just go with that. I had him do both my WBP's when I picked them up and they've been fine. Not that I don't think I can do it, but I just left it to the real pro.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #19
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Ok got it, thanks. I usually have my FFL do my hammers at his shop, he does them on his polishing wheel and he's a machinist by trade, has a rock steady hand and they come out perfect and he cold blues them to finish them off. I get it done for free so I always just go with that. I had him do both my WBP's when I picked them up and they've been fine. Not that I don't think I can do it, but I just left it to the real pro.
That is a great service. Nice that he does that for you.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #20
vaktathi

AKaholic #: 176848

The carrier tail on my SAM7R looks about like those pictured here (particularly RockyTop1911's), still seems to work just fine. It seemed to mushroom out for a bit and then stopped, doesn't seem to have progressed in a while.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #21
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159575

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop1911 View Post
That SAM7 is a milled receiver. I believe I remember someone else on the Files doing some filing to make one of those work but it being a milled receiver is the reason it does not just fit right in.

Edit: KVAR sells a Bulgy carrier for it. Maybe give K-VAR a call. They can steer you in the right direction.

You can probably keep shooting the old one and be OK as long as it does not stick in the back of the recoil spring. You can file off the hard edges on both sides of the tail.
That was me. I just dremil out the full auto tab in the bolt carrier and it worked fine after. F/A is prohibited in my state anyway so I don’t need it.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #22
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktathi View Post
The carrier tail on my SAM7R looks about like those pictured here (particularly RockyTop1911's), still seems to work just fine. It seemed to mushroom out for a bit and then stopped, doesn't seem to have progressed in a while.
Round count?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #23
vaktathi

AKaholic #: 176848

Quote:
Round count?
2-2.5k rounds, seemed to stop mushrooming about halfway through.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:16 PM   #24
SillyNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
That was me. I just dremil out the full auto tab in the bolt carrier and it worked fine after. F/A is prohibited in my state anyway so I don’t need it.

I'm glad you shared your experience! I wasn't sure how to go about salvaging the carrier and didn't want to trash it since k-var hasn't had regular semi auto 47 carriers in stock for months. Would a dremel tool work to remove the tab in the bolt carrier?

edit: I mistook dremil for demill, I see that now, please ignore my previous question.

Last edited by SillyNoob; 12-12-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #25
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
That was me. I just dremil out the full auto tab in the bolt carrier and it worked fine after. F/A is prohibited in my state anyway so I donít need it.
OK. I could not remember who it was. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #26
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Round count?
Mine are at 700+ and 800+ respectively. Stopped mushrooming at about 300+.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #27
Kjr

AKaholic #: 187964

Do the sams have American made trigger parts? For some reason I thought the entire trigger assembly including the hammer was bulgarian?
Kjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #28
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjr View Post
Do the sams have American made trigger parts? For some reason I thought the entire trigger assembly including the hammer was bulgarian?
The 7R and SF have a Bulgy Trigger, US Hammer and Disconnect. The milled receiver allows for one more foreign part.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0
Bulgarian hot-die hammer forged receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, and double-hook trigger

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0
Bulgarian hot-die hammer forged receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, and double-hook trigger
Old 12-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #29
Kjr

Quote:
The 7R and SF have a Bulgy Trigger, US Hammer and Disconnect. The milled receiver allows for one more foreign part.
Ah I see
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #30
Kjr

Well that sucks. Anybody have any leads on bulgy hammers. I looked on kvar and didn't see anything
Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #31
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Well that sucks. Anybody have any leads on bulgy hammers. I looked on kvar and didn't see anything
I just bought 3 of these yesterday for my SAM7's.

https://www.k-var.com/hammer-for-mil...nal-bulgaria-2
Old 12-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #32
Kjr

Quote:
I just bought 3 of these yesterday for my SAM7's.

https://www.k-var.com/hammer-for-mil...nal-bulgaria-2
Thanks! Just picked up two
Old 12-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #33
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Thanks! Just picked up two
Those may require some fitting. Just be prepared for it not to just drop in.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #34
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Those may require some fitting. Just be prepared for it not to just drop in.
What kind of fitting? Can you explain more?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #35
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
What kind of fitting? Can you explain more?
Just from what I read. They may require some filing to fit. Probably be best to compare to the one being replaced and go off that.