Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #36
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
No your not the only one wondering.
Making a hammer forged trunion is a expensive thing. As is the carrier and bolt.
Pictures of the raw carriers exist on this site
That equipment or parts of it did not just dissapear.
If you sold out a company would you be brought back into to fix it after you exited?
It was called a merger. So if PSA is out do they still have any assets.

I doubt a huge number of rifled ever even got produced. In fact they likely rather rare.

There is very little wrong with the forgings ore the machining from what I can see.

Hmmmmmmm after your post I'm thinking they (PSA) are building something, that they are keeping very tight lipped about to be unveiled at shot show.

From what I saw the DDI guns were on the right track. Then they just dropped the ball.
Bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #37
Mahdimadness76

AKaholic #: 178163

I gotta agree with biggun here, the bolt, carrier and trunnions appears to have been solid parts. The bolt specs alone were something that Nobody has seen to this very day... It’s not crazy to want to know if DDI retained sole ownership of these parts.
Mahdimadness76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #38
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Not worth arguing about .

Frankly my experience with asking PSA a straight question on anything I ever had a issue with would be more difficult than asking a politician about there Russian and the election involvement.

They could just say XXXXX is invested in the company or exactly what they know but instead they wan to give a basically dead link or address or number after dancing around issues for 6 months as went on the other thread .

Not blaming them just they don't need to be all vague.

years back I tired to get info on differences between a Ptac 308 receiver and the PSA receiver . a hour on the phone and I never did get a straight answer . apparently they cant even say if they make a product or not or what the differences is in shit the sell .
Still waiting for call back from a year ago on a order after three calls to them . I gave up on them sorry . shits not worth the trouble dealing with a $20 ar 15 charging handle sent for a 308 upper by mistake . I said fuck it and just ordered a handle from a company that knows the difference .

Id just like to know what happened to the equipment and stuff and if somebody will try to carry on or if PSA just took what they wanted and walked . None of my business I guess they will release something or they wont .
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #39
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

Quote:
Not worth arguing about .

Frankly my experience with asking PSA a straight question on anything I ever had a issue with would be more difficult than asking a politician about there Russian and the election involvement.

They could just say XXXXX is invested in the company or exactly what they know but instead they wan to give a basically dead link or address or number after dancing around issues for 6 months as went on the other thread .

Not blaming them just they don't need to be all vague.

years back I tired to get info on differences between a Ptac 308 receiver and the PSA receiver . a hour on the phone and I never did get a straight answer . apparently they cant even say if they make a product or not or what the differences is in shit the sell .
Still waiting for call back from a year ago on a order after three calls to them . I gave up on them sorry . shits not worth the trouble dealing with a $20 ar 15 charging handle sent for a 308 upper by mistake . I said fuck it and just ordered a handle from a company that knows the difference .

Id just like to know what happened to the equipment and stuff and if somebody will try to carry on or if PSA just took what they wanted and walked . None of my business I guess they will release something or they wont .
The ironic thing is PSA is owned by the son of a politician.lol
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
1biggun
Curio & Relic

To be clear. I think PSA AR products are fine I have a bunch of there stuff.
I'm not knocking the products.
I have no AK stuff from them.

I have had not great experience with the customer service.
I'm told it's gotten and getting better. I Hope It does. Who dosent like good parts at a good price?
How ever the other thread shows a 6 month on going problem.
I just don't like the all the vauge stuff going on.
I have no dog in this fight but it just seems the questions could easly be cleared up by all involved parties just answering some simple question with a straight answer.
The first is if DDI is even involved or even still a running company or able to do warrenty. You can't fix guns with no parts or equipment.
Dave has no obligation to come here and answer a thing but if some one sending emails to a valid adress then I think he would answer. Despite what has been said he seems to be the guy who would respond to or see a email gets answered.
I am not standing up for him or anyone but some straight answers would be interesting to hear for the AK community.

When we buy any thing there is always a chance the company may go out of business.
I have a Buell motorcycle for example that is not in business any more .
Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #41
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Fillers is still creeping around the industry that's for sure. He owns another company, I think it's called SDS imports which is located in the same city, but it maybe another company. He's trying to keep a low profile but he's still around. The DDI web domain doesn't exist any longer and I'm pretty sure it's not a company any longer and hasn't been since David fired everyone.

Here is the listing information for DDI Arms from the BBB:

(865) 474-9702
DDI ARMS
P.O. Box 14879
Knoxville, TN 37914

Here is the SDS Imports contact information:

SDS Imports LLC
P.O. Box 9144
Knoxville, TN 37940
info@sdsimports.com
(865) 604-6894
Old 12-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #42
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
Fillers is still creeping around the industry that's for sure. He owns another company, I think it's called SDS imports which is located in the same city, but it maybe another company. He's trying to keep a low profile but he's still around. The DDI web domain doesn't exist any longer and I'm pretty sure it's not a company any longer and hasn't been since David fired everyone.

Here is the listing information for DDI Arms from the BBB:

(865) 474-9702
DDI ARMS
P.O. Box 14879
Knoxville, TN 37914

Here is the SDS Imports contact information:

SDS Imports LLC
P.O. Box 9144
Knoxville, TN 37940
info@sdsimports.com
(865) 604-6894
Going to his webpage looks like he ditched AK rifles and is jumping in to the Chinese shotgun market.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #43
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Still waiting for his big news and reveal.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #44
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Still waiting for his big news and reveal.
No clue what he had cooking .

He made the statement maybe he will answer some day . Not every thing happens in weeks or months or ever for that matter .
Perhaps this time he's going to say less and try to do more first or maybe his plans tanked .
No idea . He dosent really owe anyone a thing here that I can see, maybe one person who got jerked around by PSA possibly .
I don't see guy s here with broken rifle s I some see guys whining about warranty issues on rifles they don't own or concern's on unbroken rifles they do have .

Other than a broken extractors there has not been a rash of major issues . yes a some minor stuff .
I think if the trunions and bolts were crap like the other American rifles we would be hearing about it every were .

Lot of AK company's have come and gone that you cant get warranty on.
I think its odd a guy here got ignored for 6 months by PSA and then is told that PSA is now not involved . They were involved 6months ago when he needed help that for sure .

Correct me if Im wrong but they were handling warranty 6months ago and then just blew the issue off until they are no longer the people to contact ????? How does that work ???????????
At least Dave was fixing or trying to fix stuff when he was still running things or is that incorrect ?????? I recall him mailing out extractor's to guys with no issues and answering emails right up to the point it sold .

we still don't know the third party who is no the other people involved . Its a big secret maybe ?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #45
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
No clue what he had cooking .

He made the statement maybe he will answer some day . Not every thing happens in weeks or months or ever for that matter .
Perhaps this time he's going to say less and try to do more first or maybe his plans tanked .
No idea . He dosent really owe anyone a thing here that I can see, maybe one person who got jerked around by PSA possibly .
I don't see guy s here with broken rifle s I some see guys whining about warranty issues on rifles they don't own or concern's on unbroken rifles they do have .

Other than a broken extractors there has not been a rash of major issues . yes a some minor stuff .
I think if the trunions and bolts were crap like the other American rifles we would be hearing about it every were .

Lot of AK company's have come and gone that you cant get warranty on.
I think its odd a guy here got ignored for 6 months by PSA and then is told that PSA is now not involved . They were involved 6months ago when he needed help that for sure .

Correct me if Im wrong but they were handling warranty 6months ago and then just blew the issue off until they are no longer the people to contact ????? How does that work ???????????
At least Dave was fixing or trying to fix stuff when he was still running things or is that incorrect ?????? I recall him mailing out extractor's to guys with no issues and answering emails right up to the point it sold .

we still don't know the third party who is no the other people involved . Its a big secret maybe ?
What ever happened to the Robski rifle that you were suppose to get then pass on to Mel64D?
rbox1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #46
Art Vandaley

AKaholic #: 191257

I own a DDI 47 I got from Atlantic, and a DDI 74 5.45 I got that they built for Classic. I must say with the exception of having an issue with the spring in my 47, both guns are great. Not a hiccup. My DDI 47 has hogue furniture and a gorgeous look plus it's accurate as hell. Frankly it's as accurate as my OPAP and Saiga. I get great groups with it, and a lot of heads turn. That all being said, when DDI went away from kit guns like my Bulgarian to their own in-house American-made kaka, that's when they went south down the poop shoot.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #47
Kjr

AKaholic #: 187964

I was excited to see their bolts and trunnions. As others have said it'll be interesting whose project they make a reappearance in. Waaay too much invested capital for it to just vanish without some recoup
Kjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #48
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjr View Post
I was excited to see their bolts and trunnions. As others have said it'll be interesting whose project they make a reappearance in. Waaay too much invested capital for it to just vanish without some recoup
I'll let Mel chime in, but I thought it was decided the US made DDI bolts were not to the correct dimensions. In addition to the extractors, the extractor was sitting above the bolt face.
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #49
newbaby

AKaholic #: 155219

PSA already had equipment and were making AK when DDI went away, so I doubt they have the machines. I am wondering if somehow Riley Defense may have been the recipient of the equipment as they started building about the same time, shortly thereafter??? I have not heard this before, just a thought in my empty brain.
newbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #50
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
What ever happened to the Robski rifle that you were suppose to get then pass on to Mel64D?
I have the rifle. Per David Fillers.
Mel was going to get a seperate parts set and then something between him and David changed is what I understand. I don't know the exact details. I did not ask.

The barrel is cooked from the 1000 round straight testing DDI did after Rob sent it back.
I fired it about 200 rounds or so more but with a cooked barrel it dosent group much under 6" . I don't think a factory barrel would be much better even with a chrome bore judging from the video of it almost melted.

The Rifle was to become a 6.5 grendel after my discussion with David however
When DDI sold I was told thank you for my input on the extractor issues and to keep it and do as I pleased with it per my inquiry about if he wanted it back.
This was via a text.
It will still become a 6.5 grendel. The barrel is here for it now that I purchased off the classifieds instead of making one.
I told David thank you and I'd post it when I got around to fixing it.

I haven't spoke to David since this time last year in a Text.
Mel64D is not getting the rifle.
That is the facts of the matter.
Sorry if he or others feels he got screwed I was told not to send it.
Obviously I'm happy to have it. Sometimes it pays to be nice I guess.

I'm sure I will get called a schil or something else nasty here now.
But I figured it's best to just give the facts here unlike every thing else .

When I get it functional again I hope to do back to back testing with my cantalever set up VS the factory side rail and a mount of good quality . That was discussed with David in our one phone call.
David was interested in a railed RSB as I recall.
None of this was business like it was a friendly conversation on what I thought of the rifles it was several weeks before the merger and nothing was mentioned about it.
I was likely more surprised than any one as David spoke of wanting to try some cool stuff based on DDI parts.

Aside from the trigger I felt the rest of the rifle was fine and safe to repair.

I had hoped to get pictures figured out and post all this long before this point.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #51
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
I hear he is working on a great shotgun. Better than a Saiga-12.
he claimed his Chinese made shotgun was better then vepr 12
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #52
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
So a lot of guys guessing.
First fact is someone paid a bunch of money for the DDI merger.
They didn't do it for no reason.

All this BS about DDI warrenty.
Exactly how many rifles did they sell?
At this point it seems more guys are bitching then rifles sold.

How many people actually have a DDI rifle to say it's junk or not??
Yes Rob had extractor issues.
So we're are the other 10,000 rifles with the same problem so all the experts can call every rifle junk????? DDI did not make the extracter .

Do you think a merger or sale happened in a week????
I'd rather know I have no job before xmass than spend money on shit and find out after.

Guys here are whining about American jobs then supporting Romanians with a WASR purchase ??? Really?

I'd like to know we're the equipment went and who has the ability to make trunions carriers and interchangeable bolts???

I'm sorry PSA the 21 Questions about like the customer service people I used to deal with.
What's the big fucking secret as to who bought what????
Your shit is like asking the ATF A question.

My understanding is someone was working on a 5.45 after the sale or merger. That did not happen if everything got shut down do who was doing the development? ????????
I had a brief text chat with Dave after the merger so I know a little of the story.

Who cares ???? I care. A company not too long ago was making a hammer forged trunion ,bolt and carrier. Who has control of that company now and the machinery???????????
It's a simple question. A simple answer would end all this BS by guys who dont gave a clue.
I am sorry but extractor failing after only 512 rounds? and not only once, but twice. That critical part of rifle, if that happens when I my life is on line, I be in deep shit. It don't matter if they didn't make it, they responsible to test it make sure it works. apparently had heat treatment issues. Don't give excuses.
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #53
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

It looks like the original FFL for DDI was in the name of a female member of the Fillers family in Indiana.

This year the DDI FFL was in another name in South Carolina.

Destructive Devices Industries LLC
DDI
2121 Old Dunbar Rd
West Columbia, SC 29172
(803) 360-1838 (Phone)
FFL License: 1 - 57 - ### - ## - ## - 05700
FFL License Type: 07 - Manufacturer
License Expires: 09/01/2020

At the end of last year / beginning of this year David Fillers filed several different business names in Indiana that look firearms related.

Last edited by allesennogwat; 12-16-2017 at 06:36 AM.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #54
jdg

AKaholic #: 182818

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64890 View Post
I'll let Mel chime in, but I thought it was decided the US made DDI bolts were not to the correct dimensions. In addition to the extractors, the extractor was sitting above the bolt face.
I lost interest in waiting for the hardness test results. Did this even happen?
jdg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #55
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182849

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
I lost interest in waiting for the hardness test results. Did this even happen?
See post #51 above....
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #56
jdg

AKaholic #: 182818

Ahhh, thanks
jdg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #57
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
I have the rifle. Per David Fillers.
Mel was going to get a seperate parts set and then something between him and David changed is what I understand. I don't know the exact details. I did not ask.

The barrel is cooked from the 1000 round straight testing DDI did after Rob sent it back.
I fired it about 200 rounds or so more but with a cooked barrel it dosent group much under 6" . I don't think a factory barrel would be much better even with a chrome bore judging from the video of it almost melted.

The Rifle was to become a 6.5 grendel after my discussion with David however
When DDI sold I was told thank you for my input on the extractor issues and to keep it and do as I pleased with it per my inquiry about if he wanted it back.
This was via a text.
It will still become a 6.5 grendel. The barrel is here for it now that I purchased off the classifieds instead of making one.
I told David thank you and I'd post it when I got around to fixing it.

I haven't spoke to David since this time last year in a Text.
Mel64D is not getting the rifle.
That is the facts of the matter.
Sorry if he or others feels he got screwed I was told not to send it.
Obviously I'm happy to have it. Sometimes it pays to be nice I guess.

I'm sure I will get called a schil or something else nasty here now.
But I figured it's best to just give the facts here unlike every thing else .

When I get it functional again I hope to do back to back testing with my cantalever set up VS the factory side rail and a mount of good quality . That was discussed with David in our one phone call.
David was interested in a railed RSB as I recall.
None of this was business like it was a friendly conversation on what I thought of the rifles it was several weeks before the merger and nothing was mentioned about it.
I was likely more surprised than any one as David spoke of wanting to try some cool stuff based on DDI parts.

Aside from the trigger I felt the rest of the rifle was fine and safe to repair.

I had hoped to get pictures figured out and post all this long before this point.
Thanks for the info.

Obviously you think Dave is an alright guy. I hope you understand that you're probably in the minority here. He was boastful, arrogant and very obnoxious.

That's alright though. There are a few guys who I got no problems with that are assholes and can only be tolerated by a very few other than myself.

While you think there are very few problem DDI rifles in the wild, I saw an early pattern with new DDI owners. I adopted an attitude that they seemed to be very good rifles after you had them fixed. It seemed every new DDI owner had a story about that excellent service when they had to ship it back to them. I always thought it was a good thing they had good cs cause you were gonna need it.

One of the funniest reviews was well written account that started off with the rifle being replaced before initial firing and then the damned stock fell off it...
Old 12-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #58
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Obviously you think Dave is an alright guy. I hope you understand that you're probably in the minority here. He was boastful, arrogant and very obnoxious.

That's alright though. There are a few guys who I got no problems with that are assholes and can only be tolerated by a very few other than myself.

While you think there are very few problem DDI rifles in the wild, I saw an early pattern with new DDI owners. I adopted an attitude that they seemed to be very good rifles after you had them fixed. It seemed every new DDI owner had a story about that excellent service when they had to ship it back to them. I always thought it was a good thing they had good cs cause you were gonna need it.

One of the funniest reviews was well written account that started off with the rifle being replaced before initial firing and then the damned stock fell off it...
Yea im aware I'm in the minority. Not the first time. I don't try and Collude with every ass hole and person that wants to Dogpile on someone to make themselves look good.

I looked at the pics Rob Ski posted on the extractor and tried to help not brag up some POS WASR I had or claim only some Fuckistsan country can make a good AK.
I always try to help a builder or person if possable.

David never touched me in my naughty places.
I had more of a issue with guys who have never done shit dog piling on DDI with buy A WASR comments. When a 17year old kid was spear heading what can only be described as a anti DDI or non combloc campaign is decided not jump on that wagon.

Nobody made him send a box stock rifle to Rob Ski. That was a huge risk. IMO He believed in his product. He could have cherry picked parts and even had combloc parts on it
He took a huge risk and lost.
I would not have sent Rob a early production rifle for testing no way. However I suspect time was a factor on getting rifles out there.

He then sent the same shot out barrel rifle to me with a full understanding I'd not sugar coat a thing. I have not.
I enjoyed my conversation with David it was no differant than taking to any other gun guy or race car type person
He was very receptive to my input and answered what questions I asked .
I had nothing to gain by being a dick. I felt I could help and tried.

As the owner of the company I'd expect David or any one else to promote it's products a bit .
He could have never said a word here. I was impressed he was going to offer a hammer forged trunion,bolt and carrier and do it as fast as it happened. Sucks some small issues were not right.

I don't find it odd no other extractor issues are reported .
I think the rifle Rob Ski had the extractor to barrel clearance to tight and I think the original extractors were hitting based on my examination . The extractor in it now does not. It is close however.
The broken extractors also sat proud of the bolt face as clearly seen in Robs photos. This means the tip would be further forward as well backing up my suspicions.
GM made those barrels perhaps it's chambered slightly to deep or the extractor cut is two shallow.
When I get around to it I'll measure all of that.
Bottom line is DDI assembled it there responsible for the finished product.

It's been over a year no other extractors I'm aware of on other rifles have broken . I'm sure by now some reached 5000 rounds.
I think this rifle that is head spaced at the very minimum and extractors that were further forward caused interference on this rifle.
It's not made right David admitted it . He could have torched it in two and scrapped it. Instead he sent it to me.
He sought me out . That was a huge risk and gamble as well.
You loose the ability to control OR when you send rifles to strangers for evaluation. I think Rob was fair and I think I am as well.

I can't say what the temper is on a extractor that broke that I don't have.
At this point it dosent matter DDI is not making rifles.
It dosent matter if the barrel is hard or soft ir if the trunion is this or that as far as DDI getting input because they don't need it any more.
I suspect money might have been getting tight . I say this because they allowed a merger . I don't know if long term stock testing and holding off a product before a election were sales were at a high was even possable. Clearly money was a issue or DDI might not have sold or merged.
I think only a idiot would think DDI and PSA were not discussing a merger or buy out many months before xmass not a couple weeks as guys like to think. Business dosent happen that fast .
I suspect stuff was in the works for some time.
PSA were friendly to each other . You might recall he sourced other US made extractors in short order . Not a lot of choices of were those came from. PSA maybe ,likely? ?

As far as laying off people before Christmas that's bussines.
I was layed off on Dec 5 once.
I was glad I was not buying gifts and running up a credit card debt.
I almost bought my wife a car . I'm sure David did not enjoy this.
You can't advertise your selling out or shutting down to your employees or shit just walks off , people don't come to work or shit us sabotoged. That's just business. Sucks it had to happen

As far as stocks breaking at spot welds yea that sucks.
I think maybe things got rushed to markets maybe for pre election sales. I also think SOME reports on things were pure BS.
Fake news.

I think the muzzel device needed a bigger ledge to torque down on as Rob also noted.

I think the trigger after I got the rifle sucked. I told David that.
As far as boastful ,arrogant and obnoxious I think he was a pitance to some of the assholes who dog piled on every DDI thread and there actions.
Could he done things differently? sure . At least he bothered to post here . Compare that to a 6 month late response saying well we were the guys to fix your rifle but now that we ignored you for 6 months were not involved to livd up to our responsibility during that time so now go try this guy. That's how I read PSA response .
That's crap.

I have been very careful not to exaggerate or say anything I have no facts on . That's something others here don't seem to care about.
Even now I'm speculative about what may have happened . That's not fair to DDI. if I don't know I don't make claims to know.
I have a slight advantage of actually having a conversation with David. Not ever thing was gun related.
I'd liked to have seen the company first hand.
He apparently liked me enough or apreciated my input to give me the Infamous Rob Ski rifle a risk and gamble again .
He dosent know me I could have said anything negative about it.

I'll say this I like the finish on it . I like the reciver.
I like the trunions and bolt .
I don't like the muzzel area were the decide needs to torque against something. I don't like the trigger
The melted handguard makes me smile. Wish I could have done the 1000 rounds straight .

I have no idea if David is in any position to fix any thing . That takes spare parts and a place to do it.

I wish DDI or some one could make a quality US made rifle happen.
I think DDI was close.
I proposed a American made AK about 10 years ago and I was on the minority then to but today there are several company's doing it .
I think it's very doable .

I don't know a thing about Riley ?????

The equipment DDI had is somewere. Sombody has the ability to make hammer forged parts abd machine them . I'd be interested in knowing the whole story.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #59
Ryan Spalding

AKaholic #: 186093

Quote:
I wish DDI or some one could make a quality US made rifle happen.
I think DDI was close.
I proposed a American made AK about 10 years ago and I was on the minority then to but today there are several company's doing it .
I think it's very doable .

I don't know a thing about Riley ?????

The equipment DDI had is somewere. Sombody has the ability to make hammer forged parts abd machine them . I'd be interested in knowing the whole story.

I too wonder about the equipment and where it went. Also wonder what all exactly they did and what was farmed out. I know, for example, they had their barrels supplied by GM via Windham Weaponry(no surprise about bbl's not being in-house). I was also under the impression the actual forgings were contracted out as well(after Troy created drawings/specs etc.)??? I'd assume they did the finish machining in-house. Receivers?

I've seen David make a few posts about the former DDI operation on certain Facebook groups(like the barrels for example- if anyone noticed the $60 bbl blowout from Windham recently, those were DDI extras). Wish the whole story would come out. I would think it'd be interesting.
Ryan Spalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #60
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Spalding View Post
I too wonder about the equipment and where it went. Also wonder what all exactly they did and what was farmed out. I know, for example, they had their barrels supplied by GM via Windham Weaponry(no surprise about bbl's not being in-house). I was also under the impression the actual forgings were contracted out as well(after Troy created drawings/specs etc.)??? I'd assume they did the finish machining in-house. Receivers?

I've seen David make a few posts about the former DDI operation on certain Facebook groups(like the barrels for example- if anyone noticed the $60 bbl blowout from Windham recently, those were DDI extras). Wish the whole story would come out. I would think it'd be interesting.
You need to remember that unless those forged receivers were revised, they were out of spec with the Bulgy originals they were originally meant to mimic.

There was a discussion in the builders forum here about it. Some of the more experienced guys here didn't care for the variances from the original after being told they were Bulgy clones.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #61
Ryan Spalding

Quote:
You need to remember that unless those forged receivers were revised, they were out of spec with the Bulgy originals they were originally meant to mimic.

There was a discussion in the builders forum here about it. Some of the more experienced guys here didn't care for the variances from the original after being told they were Bulgy clones.
I'm sorry, I probably should've been more clear in my post. I was referring to the stamped receivers in the 100% US made series of rifles(the trinity series, I think they were called?), obviously they're not forgings because they're stamped as the name implies.

Interesting about their milled receivers being out of spec though. I probably wasn't around here when that conversation took place, and I never really looked too deeply into their kit builds either. While we're on the subject though, I wonder where the milled receivers came from too now lol.

Last edited by Ryan Spalding; 12-18-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #62
1biggun
Curio & Relic

I doubt that DDI had equipment to hammer forged trunions and carriers.
That was likely out sourced.
The equipment cost a lot. The machines are huge
The dies and what not that go in those giant hammers are likely owned by someone still.

I seem to recall a post or comment about the people making some parts were able to make aircraft or shuttle parts and this was being done by highly skilled people.

The barrels were by GM or at least the blanks were.
Who profiled them and nitrided or what ever DDI called it I don't know.

Windham had dome thing to do with this because as stated they had leftovers both nitrided and not.
Had I not already bought a 6.5 grendel barrel I'd have jumped on the Windham barrels recently.

I told Dave I was making it a 6.5 so I'll just do that.

I just wish Sombody would make a high quality 3 lug 308 bolt that fits a m70 trunion.
A US company could do it EASY.
Just need to leave material on and it's there already.

I see on the other PSA service thread there offering up a AK ,AR15 or AR10 to make up for not adressing the customers inquiries. That's a good start at damage control and a stand up thing to do . I applaud them making the offer. It goes aways in my book.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #63
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

The, "forged" parts, if they forged and not milled from billet, may have been forged unfinished in an Asian country and finish machined in the US.

Some forged M14 receivers and bolts are done this way.

Some are milled from billet bar stock.

I saw some M1 Garand forgings that were just squares with extra material in some places.

No shape of a Garand receiver at all.

The man that had them made, said the machining to machine the slot for the op rod spring was too costly to finish them as it couldn't be done by CNC.

DS Arms used to make FAL receivers from 12 pound billets.

The factory FAL receivers were made with 7.5 pound forgings.

Not sure what happened between Fillers and PSA.

The company that owns PSA bought a controlling interest in DDI.

They would be the ones calling the shots then.

DDI's FFL was then registered in South Carolina from TN.

Fillers has so much going on Indiana, I can't see him moving to SC.

Fillers has several companies registered in TN and some of them, recently.

DDI in TN was in a woman's name it looks like.

A wife or a lawyer maybe.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #64
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Spalding View Post
I'm sorry, I probably should've been more clear in my post. I was referring to the stamped receivers in the 100% US made series of rifles(the trinity series, I think they were called?), obviously they're not forgings because they're stamped as the name implies.

Interesting about their milled receivers being out of spec though. I probably wasn't around here when that conversation took place, and I never really looked too deeply into their kit builds either. While we're on the subject though, I wonder where the milled receivers came from too now lol.
Nah, I probably should have hung that comment on the previous post instead of yours. The receivers were suppose to have been in house forged I thought?

Here's the thread with the forged receiver differences between what they were suppose to be and what they were:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253524
Old 12-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #65
1biggun
Curio & Relic

There was pictures of the forged carriers and trunons as I recall prior to being machined .

I doubt they were made out side the USA but I have no proof it they were or not .

Dave or those who used to work for DDI can answer that if they want .

JJE Capitol owns PSA and other companies including a forging company called Spartain forge and DC machine.
It would seem they could be in the position to build what ever they desired

Home

Quote:

JJE Capital is the parent organization that is home to Palmetto State Armory, DC Machine & Spartan Forge. Located out of Columbia, SC, JJE's business motto is "Reviving The American Dream" by bringing more blue-collared roles back into the United States.

Specialties

Firearms, Manufacturing, Forging, ITAR, Retail, Logistics, Machining

Website

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com

Industry

Investment Management

Type

Privately Held

Headquarters

3850 Fernandina Road Columbia
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 AM   #66
Ryan Spalding

Quote:
Nah, I probably should have hung that comment on the previous post instead of yours. The receivers were suppose to have been in house forged I thought?

Here's the thread with the forged receiver differences between what they were suppose to be and what they were:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253524
Thanks for the link! Always love looking over the various minutiae of our hobby, haha.

I see Palmetto is looking at this thread, really wish we could get an official chime-in. Who knows if that will, or even could happen though... I'm with 1biggun on this, I think this was an unfortunate near-miss, regardless of how many here choose to view Dave and his business decisions. I would've loved to have seen them succeed, and the whole thing still does intrigue me. Who knows about Riley? Atlantic seems to trust them, exactly how much that's worth I don't know, but maybe they'll get it right.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #67
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Somebody will offer a good US made rifle if there is a market for one .

The tooling is already out there and if its gone the codes and what not for the machines that made the tooling is some were and somebody knows what they have .

I have no idea what kind of money is involved but unless it was to shut down a competing company I would not be surprised to see DDI or the Investors under a new name bring some thing to market .

Hell just sell the trunion bolt and carrier the rest can be sourced from comblock and other makers .

I don't Know what PSA has going on I lost rack of the cast vs forged or machined stuff and really didn't follow all that .
Id like to see a 308 version or at least the parts to do one that will pass a proof test .

Id love to do a few more high power builds on stuff were I know I can handle 65,000 PSI on a .470 bolt face all day long .
I kick myself for not buying a couple more 308 Saigas just for parts guns

DDI had plans to offer individual parts . David said it was a big part of there plan .

Id realy like to have a three lug 308 trunion for a build laying here .

I don't have a problem with PSA products . My opinion is they need to step up the customer service even if means slowing down other areas to do it . That's my opinion .
I hope they do they have a lot of good aspects .
Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #68
expendable47

AKaholic #: 1495

Quote:
I'd like to know we're the equipment went and who has the ability to make trunions carriers and interchangeable bolts???.
And I like to know who the hell you think you are to demand an answer? This is internet dawg.

If fools buyers stick to imports none of this would happen.

e.i. sar-1,maadi,yugo(not the cai),hungarian,sa-93,etc.
expendable47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #69
15Tango

AKaholic #: 190776

Quote:
You have one????^^^^^
I had one of the early Hungarian kits that were supposedly good to go. I thought it was a great looking rifle. Pretty damn accurate too. Few hundred rounds in the problems started. When the rifle got hot, the case ejection got weaker and weaker. Shooting from prone the cases were barely clearing the rifle and landing directly next to me. Then the stove piping. I contacted DDI, they sent a return label immediately and I received the same rifle back repaired. Just before they folded up. Still would like to know what the problem was. I fired it with no further issues and ended up selling it to a co-worker. That's my DDI experience. They rifle should have worked out of the gate yes, but the customer service was great. I was fortunate I suppose. My two cents.
15Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #70
holygeez03

AKaholic #: 191217

I have what is probably one of the last DDI rifles built with Hungarian parts... I put some Magpul parts on it and I am glad to own it.

Glad I avoided the "All US Made" stuff... although I was tempted at times.

I would still like to see a photo of Mr. Fillers' wife that he spoke so highly about...

Last edited by holygeez03; 12-21-2017 at 07:59 PM.
holygeez03 is offline   Reply With Quote