Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #36
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Mine required no fitting. The parts (including the disconnector if you want to change that to Bulgarian as well) drop right in and everything functions safely.

You can get Bulgarian FCGs from here for very cheap:: http://www.clearviewinvest.com/bulga...connector.aspx

The ones from Clearview look slightly different than the ones from K-Var and I think that’s because they are surplus rather than new production. They are beautifully machined as well, moreso than the ones from K-Var. Both the K-Var FCG parts and those from Clearview required no fitting.

One warning though, if you change out the trigger itself to the one from Clearview, rather than just the hammer and/or disconnector, you will notice a tiny bit of grittiness.

The carrier tail deformation I saw in this thread seemed completely normal but that’s not my concern. I just hate the weakest link in the rifle being a crappy cast part. Imagine the hammer breaking when you need the rifle for defense.
Browning Hi Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #37
Kjr

AKaholic #: 187964

I picked some up from Clearview and some from kvar. History has shown me that anytime I need something and wait because it's plentiful it usually doesn't stay that way
Kjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #38
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

AKaholic #: 186184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjr View Post
I picked some up from Clearview and some from kvar. History has shown me that anytime I need something and wait because it's plentiful it usually doesn't stay that way
LOL. True.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
RockyTop1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:12 AM   #39
rbreeden2

AKaholic #: 190760

OP, my carrier tail looked pretty similar after 2 or 300 rounds. I actually sent it back to arsenal and they replaced the carrier. The new carrier tail looks almost untouched after about another 1200 rounds. With shipping it there and getting it back, it was gone for about 2 months FWIW.
rbreeden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #40
SillyNoob

AKaholic #: 187474

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreeden2 View Post
OP, my carrier tail looked pretty similar after 2 or 300 rounds. I actually sent it back to arsenal and they replaced the carrier. The new carrier tail looks almost untouched after about another 1200 rounds. With shipping it there and getting it back, it was gone for about 2 months FWIW.
I appreciate the suggestion
SillyNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #41
cyberjad
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173415

I have not had a chance to take my rifle part and look at the hammer. If I remember correctly some of these rifles came with Bulgarian fcg parts and others us. The same goes for the furniture. Is my memory serving me correct or did he's all have us made hammers?
cyberjad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #42
SillyNoob

I noticed the tail of my disconnector is also rubbing into the pistol grip rivet. It's completely scraped the paint off the rivet, so I ordered some spare disconnectors as well. Anybody else having this issue?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #43
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyNoob View Post
I noticed the tail of my disconnector is also rubbing into the pistol grip rivet. It's completely scraped the paint off the rivet, so I ordered some spare disconnectors as well. Anybody else having this issue?
Doubt it's a problem. Some have filed those a little.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #44
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Dunno on your particular Arsenal/model. Arsenal uses a specific large cheesehead type rivet on the rear trigger guard rivet as a disconnector rebound stop or some such. IIRC.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259884
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #45
SillyNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Dunno on your particular Arsenal/model. Arsenal uses a specific large cheesehead type rivet on the rear trigger guard rivet as a disconnector rebound stop or some such. IIRC.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259884
Thanks for the link!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #46
SillyNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhipockets View Post
It appears that the disco tail is supposed to stop on that rivet. I read some posts a while back about the rivet getting beaten pretty bad and deforming. My concern was breaking a cast disco so I replaced it with the non-cast, tail-less Bulgarian semi-auto version. This swap has not created trigger slap or any problems and I have performed it on several rifles. I'm not recommending this swap, only telling my particular thoughts and reasoning.
makes sense to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #47
barmonkey

AKaholic #: 179773

Disco Sucks!
barmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #48
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

This thread is very informative. I'm thinking about buying a Sam7r since it seems like they're gonna be gone for awhile soon.
Cowboys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #49
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
This thread is very informative. I'm thinking about buying a Sam7r since it seems like they're gonna be gone for awhile soon.
Don't wait, do it as soon as you can. You won't regret you did.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #50
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-91 View Post
Don't wait, do it as soon as you can. You won't regret you did.
Yeah I did this same thing with the FM vepr's. I put it off and put it off then boom, they jumped to like $1500 and now you can't hardly find one anywhere.
Cowboys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #51
RockyTop1911
Trump USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
Yeah I did this same thing with the FM vepr's. I put it off and put it off then boom, they jumped to like $1500 and now you can't hardly find one anywhere.
There's one in the MP for 1150 shipped. In great condition. Unfired. Has some extra stuff added also.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329082
Old 12-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #52
DOS LLAMAS DIPA

AKaholic #: 194304

Hey everyone, I found this thread very helpful thank you. I am relatively new to AKs but not guns, I have a sam7r and followed this threads advice to switch out my hammer from the LV factory and attempted to put in the Bulgarian one linked earlier in this thread from Kvar. I found that with this installed, my bolt carrier couldn't slide forward. The top of the hammer was too rounded and didn't allow the bolt to slide on top of it. Ive looked into polishing hammers but this would require more material removal than I'd like. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Mine required no fitting. The parts (including the disconnector if you want to change that to Bulgarian as well) drop right in and everything functions safely.

You can get Bulgarian FCGs from here for very cheap:: http://www.clearviewinvest.com/bulga...connector.aspx

The ones from Clearview look slightly different than the ones from K-Var and I think that’s because they are surplus rather than new production. They are beautifully machined as well, moreso than the ones from K-Var. Both the K-Var FCG parts and those from Clearview required no fitting.

One warning though, if you change out the trigger itself to the one from Clearview, rather than just the hammer and/or disconnector, you will notice a tiny bit of grittiness.

The carrier tail deformation I saw in this thread seemed completely normal but that’s not my concern. I just hate the weakest link in the rifle being a crappy cast part. Imagine the hammer breaking when you need the rifle for defense.
DOS LLAMAS DIPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 AM   #53
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS LLAMAS DIPA View Post
Hey everyone, I found this thread very helpful thank you. I am relatively new to AKs but not guns, I have a sam7r and followed this threads advice to switch out my hammer from the LV factory and attempted to put in the Bulgarian one linked earlier in this thread from Kvar. I found that with this installed, my bolt carrier couldn't slide forward. The top of the hammer was too rounded and didn't allow the bolt to slide on top of it. Ive looked into polishing hammers but this would require more material removal than I'd like. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
That's odd. I added Bulgarian hammers to 3 of my SAMs (two from K-Var and one from Clearview) with no issues. I did have the issue you encountered by trying to install unidentified European FCGs in my other AKs (the bolt carrier couldn't slide forward), but not with the Bulgarian hammers in my SAMs. I didn't have to modify anything so I wouldn't be able to give you advice on how to do anything like that. The bolt carriers slide over the Bulgarian hammers smooth with no issues at all in my rifles.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:14 AM   #54
Kjr

AKaholic #: 187964

Quote:
Man that's a bummer. I plan on making that swap on my two sams in a couple weeks when the schedule calms down. Would be interesting if one of those hammers would work with a few of my atlantic builds that use the tapco fcg
Kjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:23 AM   #55
SillyNoob

Quote:
Did you test with the bolt in the carrier before testing? If not, try racking the carrier with the bolt in the carrier.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:51 AM   #56
es
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185924

^^Yeah, was about to say the only time I've had that issue with any AK is when I forget to put the bolt in the carrier (usually when fitting carrier to rails building on blanks, but I'll admit that it's happened when reassembling after cleaning once or twice lol). No reason the bolt/carrier shouldn't be able to ride over the hammer if it's being held by the trigger hooks.
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #57
gun papa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8912

Where can one find Single hook Bulgarian FCG?

Too late of a reminder, on the belt off to the Grinder. papa
gun papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #58
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
Where can one find Single hook Bulgarian FCG?
Cut/ grind off one of the hooks on a double hook. Can also work as an over travel trigger stop.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #59
gun papa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8912

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Cut/ grind off one of the hooks on a double hook. Can also work as an over travel trigger stop.
Hey Blue, will FA bulgarian hammers work on a semi auto gun? I guess I may replace the hammers.

Too late of a reminder, on the belt off to the Grinder. papa
gun papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #60
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FA and SA hammers are interchangeable.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #61
bigsmokey10

AKaholic #: 184283

My carrier tail looks the exact same as Rockytop1911's. About 750 rds threw mine. Did the exact same thing, mushroomed a bit then stopped . This is a sam7r-66 ser# in the 11xx range
bigsmokey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #62
bigbob

AKaholic #: 171051

So these will fit the milled Sam7?
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/bulga...connector.aspx

Does it matter to have specific “milled receiver” parts like the one kvar is selling?
https://www.k-var.com/hammer-for-mil...nal-bulgaria-2
Would an AKM hammer like this work fine?
https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...very-good.html
I just want to reduce further mushrooming of my Sam7.

Last edited by bigbob; 12-31-2017 at 02:49 PM.
bigbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #63
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
They fit in my SAM7s with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
Does it matter to have specific “milled receiver” parts like the one kvar is selling?
https://www.k-var.com/hammer-for-mil...nal-bulgaria-2
Would an AKM hammer like this work fine?
https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...very-good.html
I just want to reduce further mushrooming of my Sam7.
Yes it matters to have milled receiver specific parts. They're referred to as double hook FCG parts and you need double hook parts for a milled receiver. I'm honestly not sure if a single hook hammer (AKM) would work and I personally wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #64
DOS LLAMAS DIPA

AKaholic #: 194304

Sorry for the late reply everyone. One thing I noticed is that with the bolt carrier racked backwards is that the hammer isn't actually being held in place by the trigger hooks. Everything is in place correctly but it doesn't want to sit into those hooks. If I were able to have the hammer secured by the trigger hooks it would have enough clearance to rack forward with the Bulgarian hammer I bought from Kvar. I feel like there's something I'm overlooking. I'll look into it more this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by es View Post
^^Yeah, was about to say the only time I've had that issue with any AK is when I forget to put the bolt in the carrier (usually when fitting carrier to rails building on blanks, but I'll admit that it's happened when reassembling after cleaning once or twice lol). No reason the bolt/carrier shouldn't be able to ride over the hammer if it's being held by the trigger hooks.
DOS LLAMAS DIPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #65
LXD55
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177980

Darwin alert..
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #66
Krinks&Things
Not always in agreement

AKaholic #: 172702

I feel like an idiot asking, but is there any issue with buying the stamped receiver Russian hammer from K-Var for an SLR-104FR? I can't imagine there would be but I'll await the experts!
Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #67
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinks&Things View Post
I feel like an idiot asking, but is there any issue with buying the stamped receiver Russian hammer from K-Var for an SLR-104FR? I can't imagine there would be but I'll await the experts!
There could be issues. I do know that the Russian hammer used in the Vepr FCGs has a very unique geometry. There's more steel on one of the "tabs" where the trigger hook slips off. I don't know if this is the same hammer though. Either way, mixing FCG parts sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #68
Krinks&Things
Not always in agreement

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll avoid it then. I didn't see a stamped receiver Bulgy hammer on K-Var, which is why I asked.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #69
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinks&Things View Post
Those are Saiga hammers.

They can be used with AK74 triggers and disconnectors.

The 223 version is unique and designed to be used with the 223 Saiga bolt.

The 7.62x39 and 5.45 versions are normal AK74 profile.

In a milled receiver, the AK74 trigger may need to be modified to rotate far enough forward to function.

The Bulgarian milled receiver trigger and hammer parts would be a better match in a milled receiver.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:21 AM   #70
Krinks&Things
Not always in agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
Those are Saiga hammers.

They can be used with AK74 triggers and disconnectors.

The 223 version is unique and designed to be used with the 223 Saiga bolt.

The 7.62x39 and 5.45 versions are normal AK74 profile.

In a milled receiver, the AK74 trigger may need to be modified to rotate far enough forward to function.

The Bulgarian milled receiver trigger and hammer parts would be a better match in a milled receiver.
Thank you. So if you were a betting man, would it be okay for me to purchase only the saiga hammer for use with existing Arsenal USA disconnector? I am looking to use it on my stamped Bulgy 74. Also going to buy a milled Bulgy version for my SAM7R.

Tldr; Do I need to purchase new discos to go with the new hammers for each rifle?