Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #71
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

AKBlue, those 2,500 Hungarian rifles mentioned, are they specifically named as imports?
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #72
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
AKBlue, those 2,500 Hungarian rifles mentioned, are they specifically named as imports?
No but the inference and context is pretty clear.
These were imported AMD65 firearms.

No vendor is sitting on 2500 US assembled from kits in the USA AMD65's. They would have had to be built and sold in lots as they get assembled/built etc.

Here is a partial listing in the court case affidavit.

Quote:
Based on the payments that have been made the Defendants should still have 2500 AMD65's at the Defendants main office at etc.,etc., until such time when they were to be sold on the commercial market.
Quote:
also 1245 AMD65 parts kits
Quote:
2,000 low capacity AKM receivers
And other stuff like FPK/PSL rifles or kits or receivers.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #73
mishaco
Veteran Member

I think AKBlue and his PDF have started to crack this thing.

I agree with his assertion that no USA company building AKs from parts kits would have 2,500 just warehoused, laying around.
TGI wasn't an ultra-huge outfit like Century, and it was in financial trouble. It would have wanted to get as many guns out the door as fast as possible.
Usually kit builders do 10 to 100 at a time, and then post them for sale.
One probably wouldn't build 2.5k and then just sit on them. That wouldn't make sense. You build when you are ready to move something. Otherwise you just warehouse the parts kits and receivers until the time is right.

Speaking of, since that document refers to kits and AKM receivers separately, we have to conclude that those AMDs were at least semi-complete firearms.

Really, maybe ordering one of those Clearview guns would be worth it. I could look it over closely, shoot it, make a little video, and then flip it down the road. I am sure it would be worth the small loss in price to learn some things.

I have a preban SA 85m and access to a friend's postban SA 85m. I've had a few SA 2000m single stackers in the past, but don't ahve one at the moment and neither does a close friend that I know of.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #74
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

spot weld - small circular shaped inverted surface welds that attach two pieces of metal. These are made with electrically charged tongs/tips that connect the generally flat pieces of sheet steel

tack weld- a small weld puddle (or more than one puddle) attaching pieces usually at a seam. This is done with a gas/torch welding set up.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #75
mishaco
Veteran Member

Partially inspired by this thread, I took my TGI FEG AMD out shooting today.
Also, I did get my rear sling swivel installed, so i wanted to shoot it with a sling on there.

It was a load of fun, so no surprise there. For such a light 7.62x39 rifle, it has very gentle recoil. This is thanks to that big ass muzzle brake no doubt.

A friend just offered me a used Clearview 'AMD63.' I think i'll take him up on it for educational purposes. After I am done, i will rebuild it into a true AKM63 clone as I just found an original parts kit. It doesn't have the barrel, but I have a couple FB Radom ones laying around here, so can just grab one of those to use.

So AKM63 kit + FEG SA 2000m receiver + Polish CHF barrel = nice rifle (I hope).
Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #76
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

^^^^ Good journey., gotta love the Hungarians>>

Old 12-30-2017, 04:01 AM   #77
mishaco
Veteran Member

So i took in on trade one of those Clearview 'AMD63' rifles, and discovered something interesting.

Remember how i kept talking about how the TGI FEG AMD65 carbines only had a serial on the trunnion but not on the stamped part of the receiver itself?

Well with this CV AMD63, there is a serial on the underside of the receiver, in front of the magwell.
Interesting....

Also, while the spot welds do look like those on the TGI gun, the magwell itself was cut out to take double stack mags in a much sloppier/uneven fashion.
Of course some of the TGI guns might be too. I just have mine here to compare with.
On the otherhand, the CV gun has less mag woble/whiggle compared with most of the TGIs I've handled.

Just thought I'd share. Thought maybe someone else was interested by this stuff like me?
Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #78
Bullseye01

AKaholic #: 182460

My TGI AMD-65 has more mag wobble than any other in my collection but it functions fine.
Bullseye01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #79
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

The TGI receivers made the rounds to many buyers in the USA. If the receiver is serialized I would think it is a USA kit build. Is the receiver serial the same as the trunnion?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:03 AM   #80
rangerup

AKaholic #: 193154

I think you did good OP. If you are a purist then sourcing original furniture will be the only setback.

Not trying to highjack your thread but how do you feel the Hungarian compensator compares to a 74 style comp?
rangerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #81
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

One of the unfinished 80% TGI SA2000m AMD Fég receivers went up on gunbroker recently. It's single stack magwell, the trigger holes (inside the guard) are not drilled yet and the receiver hasn't been cut for the rear trunnion. Has rollmarks identical to their finished AMD-65 receiver, except has a serial number on the bottom. Has the Fég logo stampings on the side, SA2000m on the bottom and says made in Hungary. This could be how many of their AMD65's receivers originated.

Last edited by GoNoGo; 01-01-2018 at 04:08 AM.
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:15 AM   #82
mishaco
Veteran Member

The thing that doesn't line up there is that serial on the bottom of the receiver. The TGI FEG AMD65 just had a serial on the trunnion; not receiver. However as i said in my last post, the Clearview AMD63 build does have a serial on the receiver itself.