Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #36
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

P.S. - this whole thing has bugged me for years....lets work together and get to the bottom of it finally. It would be great to know once and for all WTF TGI did to make these lol.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #37
csphar54r

AKaholic #: 180923

My buddy and myself have one of these each. Mine has the single piece break with the more shiny finish. His is the matte finish with the "2" piece break. Both guns have identical receiver markings without serial number. Both guns have loose magwells/mag catches like a poorly done single stack conversion. Mine is so loose I can knock an inserted mag out of the gun by hitting it to the rear lol. Both guns have differently formed rivets holding the front and fear trunnions. Almost like different rivet tools were used between the front and rear trunnions. The different rivets between trunnions has always made me wonder.
csphar54r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #38
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

I had a TGI FEG AMD with the single piece Tapco brake and shiny finish, and it too had the same issues with the magwell. It was loose from front to back! Like the front trunnion was riveted in too far forward by about 1/2mm or so. Very irritating. Sold it and built my own.
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #39
csphar54r

Also, the stock cutout on the right side of the receiver was never painted. It was obviously cut or cleaned up after the paint job. Same with the mag well. Good luck solving this one!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #40
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

I never cared too much but as noted the lack of serialized receiver and the made in Hungary mark was enough for me to assume they were assembled there.

But there are other possibilities.

The TGI legal issues are on the www. The Hungarian parts/firearms were part of the charges.
The AK74's, improperly logged or transferred firearms and the Chinese rebranded 75 round drums were specific issues.

here is more if you search>>

http://archive.knoxnews.com/business...358044981.html

http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/2011/mar/030211guns.pdf
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #41
mishaco
Curio & Relic

That does help a bit. If these were 80% receivers with their rails welded in here in the USA, you'd think anything like cutting for the stock or opening up the magwell would have been done before the paint finish was applied.

Looking at mine, the front and rear rivets seem to match up...same size and look to have been crushed by the same tool/person.
My magwell has more front-back play than you normally find with an AKM type gun, but its not enough to let the mag slip out no matter how hard I try.
The single stack SA 2000m mag was longer than a normal AK mag. This was one of the reasons these weren't as easy to convert as some other single stack imports.

I will say the edges of my magwell are very straight, without burs or extreme tool marks. It looks cleaner than on my Polish Archer or WASR10.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #42
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Not that it really tells anything, but from that article: "The deals included 5,000 AMD-65 rifles. The AMD-65 is a Hungarian variant of the Russian AKM assault rifle."
Old 12-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #43
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

^^ Yes and from my understanding and memory from the time there were kits, receivers and barreled/receivered actions imported.

But it was awhile ago and I was not tracking it all that closely as to who was building or simply importing etc. Just interested in getting what I wanted..
Assumption being Hungarian built AMD65's and I purchased one.., I think at $299.

The infamous tack welded muzzle device Bulgarian AK74 kits with original barrels around 2008/2009 were "snuck" in at the time as well and I ordered a few back then.
Later several thousand of those kits were confiscated by the ATF. during a "raid".

TGI was definitely over the ATF line on imports and other transfer and import legalities.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #44
taildragger21
Bonafied alpha male right winger

AKaholic #: 187172

I have one of these as well with the shiner paint and 1 piece welded brake. Iíll get it out and look closer.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #45
cash81

AKaholic #: 180202

Maybe the receivers were leftover shells from a batch of single stack SA 2000m rifles that FEG had left over. And we're already stamped before sold to TGI. That would maybe explain why the "Made in Hungery" and "SA 2000m" but no serial number. As previouslymentioned TGI also built PSL rifles with receivers from Romania. Similar to the AMD's they had "Made in Romania" stamped on them and no serial number

Last edited by cash81; 12-11-2017 at 12:04 AM.
cash81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #46
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Several things are possible as to the receivers, parys kits and AMD 65 firearms.
But AMD 65 firearms were imported in some quantity. They were sold at retail.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #47
Garvey

AKaholic #: 186949

Cost to TGI for complete AMD65 firearms, according to the lawsuit (PDF linked above), looks to be just over $60 per.
Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #48
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKBlue, that's how I felt when I got mine.....price was cheap enough that it wasn't really a big enough deal to look into. I just wanted an AMD65 and was tired of shit luck with them.

The first time i tried ordering an AMD65, it was a kit build from Vector back around 2005. No problems ordering it and them shipping it out. Just one problem, they shipped it to Alaska, not Arkansas (people often think AK = Arkansas rather than AR, which they assume is Arizona). UPS eventually traced the package to a drugstore in Alaska, but the rifle itself was long, long gone. And of course, Vector was sold out after the few weeks it took to realise all that had happened. I got a full refund of course, and ultimately got an RPK74 from them instead (at a discounted price because of my trouble), but still left me AMD-less.

In 2006, I saw a Century AMD65 Sporter at a friend's LGS. It was one of the few they installed a rear sling swivel on, it had nice wood grips, a tight stock, and came with a 5 cell mag pouch and a nice leather sling. So i said 'fuck it' and gave CAI some money.
And the first time I fired it, the front handguard retainer broke. Like seriously, it split into pieces and the HG walked forward and came off in my hands while firing..it was freaky.
I sent the gun back to CAI for repair, and i guess it was screwed up pretty bad as they ended up offering me a replacement rifle. I took the replacement and immediately posted it for sale in the gunshop I was working at part time at the time. Once burned and all that, i didn't want anything more to do with CAI AMD's.

Thing is, even though my luck with AMDs wasn't great up til then, I still really liked the design. A friend had built a kit into a 'pistol' and it was a fun little gun. I was just about to pull the trigger on my own kit, when i learned of these TGI guns. That was around 2009 I believe?

Centerfire was acting as a distributer for TGI, and I just so happened to have a good working relationship with CFS and so started buying 3-4 AMDs at a time. This was when i was just starting my gunshop, so my investment capital was very small. I stocked the AMDs as they were inexpensive and good sellers.
At the time, I just assumed they were imports. I knew that FEG's firearms division was closed and was a bit confused, but never looked into it too closely.

After selling 8 or 9 to customers, i picked one for myself, and ahve it ever since.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #49
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvey View Post
Cost to TGI for complete AMD65 firearms, according to the lawsuit (PDF linked above), looks to be just over $60 per.
They had the millimg work on the mag well and the 922r parts and welding the extension on the muzzle. Maybe anothet $60- $70 or so in parts and labor and overhead. Dunno?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #50
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
AKBlue, that's how I felt when I got mine.....price was cheap enough that it wasn't really a big enough deal to look into. I just wanted an AMD65 and was tired of shit luck with them.

The first time i tried ordering an AMD65, it was a kit build from Vector back around 2005. No problems ordering it and them shipping it out. Just one problem, they shipped it to Alaska, not Arkansas (people often think AK = Arkansas rather than AR, which they assume is Arizona). UPS eventually traced the package to a drugstore in Alaska, but the rifle itself was long, long gone. And of course, Vector was sold out after the few weeks it took to realise all that had happened. I got a full refund of course, and ultimately got an RPK74 from them instead (at a discounted price because of my trouble), but still left me AMD-less.

In 2006, I saw a Century AMD65 Sporter at a friend's LGS. It was one of the few they installed a rear sling swivel on, it had nice wood grips, a tight stock, and came with a 5 cell mag pouch and a nice leather sling. So i said 'fuck it' and gave CAI some money.
And the first time I fired it, the front handguard retainer broke. Like seriously, it split into pieces and the HG walked forward and came off in my hands while firing..it was freaky.
I sent the gun back to CAI for repair, and i guess it was screwed up pretty bad as they ended up offering me a replacement rifle. I took the replacement and immediately posted it for sale in the gunshop I was working at part time at the time. Once burned and all that, i didn't want anything more to do with CAI AMD's.

Thing is, even though my luck with AMDs wasn't great up til then, I still really liked the design. A friend had built a kit into a 'pistol' and it was a fun little gun. I was just about to pull the trigger on my own kit, when i learned of these TGI guns. That was around 2009 I believe?

Centerfire was acting as a distributer for TGI, and I just so happened to have a good working relationship with CFS and so started buying 3-4 AMDs at a time. This was when i was just starting my gunshop, so my investment capital was very small. I stocked the AMDs as they were inexpensive and good sellers.
At the time, I just assumed they were imports. I knew that FEG's firearms division was closed and was a bit confused, but never looked into it too closely.

After selling 8 or 9 to customers, i picked one for myself, and ahve it ever since.
^^^^^^ Good journey on firearm collecting. Often some twists and turns and a little luck or pulling the trigger to buy something at the right time before it/they kinda disappear or get pricey.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 12-11-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #51
csphar54r

^Cool story. Tgi amds were on sale on and off for $400 until they sold out. I remember that. The one I bought was from J&G in 2011 if I remember correctly. It was my first rifle in that caliber. I enjoy learning more about these post awb sunset rifles. It's sad to see this recent era of imports come to an end, but it was good when it lasted.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 AM   #52
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKBlue, i can't read the other link as it is a PDF. If you are seeing records of complete AMD type rifles being imported, that has to be these TGI guns. There are no other candidates. CAI AMD65 Sporter and Vector AMD65 were both for sure kit builds.
I know TGI had AMD65 parts kits, and i am sure they did build some up into rifles, but if there are imports, then this has to be them.

My theory isn't supported by concrete evidence, but it does fit with the facts as we know them right now.
It is possible TGI somehow got receivers into the country w/o serial, but since they sold a few thousand of these AMDs, it doesn't seem likely that the ATF would ahve let it slide or could have made such a big oversight....

1) TGI found some surplus AMD65 rifles in Hungary that it wanted to buy, cut up into kits, and sell in the USA. But the 2005 ban meant it could not bring them in with barrels in tact.

2) Seeingwhat CAI and Cugir did to solve this inspired TGI. Instead of importing Romie-G kits w/o barrels, Cugir just did the semi rebuilds themselves, sending CAI a complete rifle; the WASR-10/63 was born.

3) TGI bought the rifles and leftover SA 2000m receiver shells, both still in Hungary, but who to assemble them? FEG had closed its firearms divsion but other parts of the factory were still open. Also, there are other smallarms factories in the country, so get one of those to do the assembling of FEG parts.

4) This unknown factory rebuilt the AMD65 parts onto the SA 2000m receivers, making them into 'pistols' again inspired by Cugir's Draco. 12" barrel, bolt carrier cut for semi only, and rear stock trunnion but no stock installed. Also, a different lower handguard, one without the foregrip. The guns were packed in FEG logo boxes and shipped over to TGI, possibly w/o FCGs.

5) After import, TGI then converted these AMD pistols into AMD carbines. This makes sense since it is easier to get an AK pistol into the USA than it is a rifle. TGI opened up the magwell (only single stack because of the SA 2000m receiver, not because it had to be), spot welded a 4" extension onto the barrel, installed a standard AMD handguard with grip, and modified the receiver to take a working folding buttstock. Also they installed a Tapco FCG and included a Pro-Mag or Tapco mag as a very lazy/easy nod to 922(r) (only 5 parts required anyway since the muzzle device wasn't removable).

6) Box up, ship out to distributers, and try and make some money...or you know, piss your investers off and get into a bunch of lawsuits...whichever you prefer.

I'll add that this is a similar setup used for the SSR-85c, the ones built in Bulgaria.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #53
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Thing is, TGI is long out of business. So where are the Clearview FEG receivers coming from? Were so many leftover from TGI, that 6 years later another company got enough of them to do a pretty big production run of rifles?

Also if TGI did the rail welding, did they really make that many extras, but without building them into rifles back in 2010?

Question, with the Clearview guns, do their receivers have serials on them?

Gotta be honest, kind of want to order one in now just to compare it. If they had correct length AKM63 gas systems, I'd rebuild one with a quality barrel and make myself a good clone rifle.
I'd like to add an AKM63 to the collection....had one from a matching kit a few years back, but sold it to get a SA 85m. No regrets.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #54
Garvey

AKaholic #: 186949

What's weird, to me, is that it looks like (according to the PDF) the kits TGI had cost them the same or even a little more than the complete firearms from the same supplier. I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but that struck me as odd.
Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #55
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
AKBlue, i can't read the other link as it is a PDF. If you are seeing records of complete AMD type rifles being imported, that has to be these TGI guns. There are no other candidates. CAI AMD65 Sporter and Vector AMD65 were both for sure kit builds.
I know TGI had AMD65 parts kits, and i am sure they did build some up into rifles, but if there are imports, then this has to be them.

My theory isn't supported by concrete evidence, but it does fit with the facts as we know them right now.
It is possible TGI somehow got receivers into the country w/o serial, but since they sold a few thousand of these AMDs, it doesn't seem likely that the ATF would ahve let it slide or could have made such a big oversight....

1) TGI found some surplus AMD65 rifles in Hungary that it wanted to buy, cut up into kits, and sell in the USA. But the 2005 ban meant it could not bring them in with barrels in tact.

2) Seeingwhat CAI and Cugir did to solve this inspired TGI. Instead of importing Romie-G kits w/o barrels, Cugir just did the semi rebuilds themselves, sending CAI a complete rifle; the WASR-10/63 was born.

3) TGI bought the rifles and leftover SA 2000m receiver shells, both still in Hungary, but who to assemble them? FEG had closed its firearms divsion but other parts of the factory were still open. Also, there are other smallarms factories in the country, so get one of those to do the assembling of FEG parts.

4) This unknown factory rebuilt the AMD65 parts onto the SA 2000m receivers, making them into 'pistols' again inspired by Cugir's Draco. 12" barrel, bolt carrier cut for semi only, and rear stock trunnion but no stock installed. Also, a different lower handguard, one without the foregrip. The guns were packed in FEG logo boxes and shipped over to TGI, possibly w/o FCGs.

5) After import, TGI then converted these AMD pistols into AMD carbines. This makes sense since it is easier to get an AK pistol into the USA than it is a rifle. TGI opened up the magwell (only single stack because of the SA 2000m receiver, not because it had to be), spot welded a 4" extension onto the barrel, installed a standard AMD handguard with grip, and modified the receiver to take a working folding buttstock. Also they installed a Tapco FCG and included a Pro-Mag or Tapco mag as a very lazy/easy nod to 922(r) (only 5 parts required anyway since the muzzle device wasn't removable).

6) Box up, ship out to distributers, and try and make some money...or you know, piss your investers off and get into a bunch of lawsuits...whichever you prefer.

I'll add that this is a similar setup used for the SSR-85c, the ones built in Bulgaria.
Yes the legal document details 2500 AMD65 firearms.

As far as the parts and firearms and receivers since much of it was seized by the ATF and then the subject of the civilian monetary lawsuit., many of the property items were held for years before release and sale to the public etc.

Some items like the PSL NODAK receivers (marked as TGI) were moved to vendors that still had lawful FFL's and bought the stock items like Waffen Werks for the PSL kits and receivers.
Likely the same over time for the FEG receivers etc.

Other parts kits and PSL parts were sold by TGI directly but only non FFL items. Their website stayed up for a year or two after the ATF confiscation.

It seemed that items were eventually released years after the initial ATF raid and the civil suits were settled as the court decisions and the division of the assets to the various plaintiffs was made by the court or release approved by the ATF etc for other items.
Dunno the actual course of these actions but it was kinda obvious when items started showing up for sale etc.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #56
AK-Pirate
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183956

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
Wasn't Waffen Werks somewhat born out of the ashes of TGI and if so, maybe one of the ex DDI employees can shed some light?
This is kind of off-topic but it brings me to something I saw in a local gun shop last week. So two months ago, in this same gun shop, I walked in and saw 10, yes 10 Waffen Werks 74's on the wall for $479 a piece. They were all unfired it appeared. They were on consignment from an old guy with a lot of guns. I thought it was strange for one person to have 10 identical Waffen Werks guns but hey, different strokes for different folks.

The guy at the shop knows that I know more about AK's than him so he asked me about them. I told him that they could be hit or miss but $479 definitely seemed fair considering this.

This past week, I walked in again and all of those guns were gone. He then flagged me over to his office and showed me 14 new rifles the same guy had brought in for consignment. There were 2 TGI AMD's on FEG receivers with the one-piece brakes, 2 Bulgarian kit builds on Nodaks with the spot welded brakes, 3 Waffen Werks 74 Builds, 1 Waffen Werks MILLED 74 build that had an Ultimak and RD stock adapter on it, 3 Milled DDI 47 builds, 2 stamped DDI 74 builds, and 1 PSA AKM build. He wanted me to sit down and look at them and tell him what I could about them. I told him the same thing about the Waffen Werks guns and that the DDI guns were probably better. Again, all WW guns were sub $500 while he had the DDI's, TGI's and PSA at around $700-$750. Again, all of these guns were unfired. This was what the consignee wanted to sell them for so he at least knew the market for those specific guns. The guy at the gun shop said the last batch sold out in less than 2 weeks.

Again I asked about who this guy was and all he would tell me was that he was an older guy that had a lot of guns that he was liquidating. He said he was keeping all of his imports and preban stuff. I asked if the guy used to have an FFL and he said he thought he did years and years ago but not recently.

All this being said, with the rumored lineage from TGI, to Waffen Werks, to DDI, to now PSA, is there a chance that this guy selling these rifles had some kind of affiliation with all of these organizations? He supposedly lives in the Raleigh area as that is where the gun shop was located. Raleigh isn't far from Knox TN either.

I am telling you all this as maybe this may lend credence to the AMD's from TGI being builds rather than imports. If he was part of those organizations and he was keeping all of his imports and prebans, maybe this validates that the AMD was a build?
AK-Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #57
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Pirate View Post
I, to Waffen Werks, to DDI, to now PSA, is there a chance that this guy selling these rifles had some kind of affiliation with all of these organizations? He supposedly lives in the Raleigh area as that is where the gun shop was located. Raleigh isn't far from Knox TN either.

I am telling you all this as maybe this may lend credence to the AMD's from TGI being builds rather than imports. If he was part of those organizations and he was keeping all of his imports and prebans, maybe this validates that the AMD was a build?
Not really., the info in the litigation PDF and other factors, points to 2,500 AMD65 imported firearms in the seized property count.
This individual may have purchased a number of firearms prior to/as the authorities, banks and creditors were closing in on the TGI folks etc.
Or was simply a speculator. Or perhaps knew or was affiliated with some of the players in the TGI mess.

It has happened before. ORF being another liquidation but not based on illegal issues., but rather economics and poor health of the owner etc.
Under the table liquidation of assets before the lawyers/bankers got full control took place.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #58
sealchief

AKaholic #: 178082

My friend from the pawn shop called Saturday and asked if I wanted the original furniture for the AMD, I said, yes, he said, why didn't you take it with you then, I said, you never offered it.

Anyway, got the original stuff back on. Can't wait to run it.

Very happy, looks to be unfired.

There is a lot of great info in this thread, thanks everyone.

Last edited by sealchief; 02-15-2018 at 01:44 PM.
sealchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #59
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

^^^^^^^^^ There ya go., nice to see the original furniture. You just need a leather Hungarian sling. They are common and pretty inexpensive. And a 20 round mag Hungarian ammo pouch.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #60
sealchief

AKaholic #: 178082

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
^^^^^^^^^ There ya go., nice to see the original furniture. You just need a leather Hungarian sling. They are common and pretty inexpensive. And a 20 round mag Hungarian ammo pouch.
Yep, next on the list !
sealchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #61
AK-Pirate
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183956

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post

These are reported to be good one's and seldom come up for sale. I would snag this if it's a genuine Waffen Werks AK74M milled receiver rifle. WW's roll marks will be stamped inside the trigger guard, mostly in front of and to to the side of the trigger.
It is a genuine WW receiver as I saw the marking you mentioned. I have no interest in it I'd be happy to pass along info to others that may. I'll even go and bird-dog pics of it if folks are interested.

Like I said, it came with an ultimak rail, RD-M4 adapter, MOE buttstock, and circle 10 magazine. I think he was going to do $850 on that one due to the tacticool items.
AK-Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #62
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

Much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealchief View Post
My friend from the pawn shop called Saturday and asked if I wanted the original furniture for the AMD, I said, yes, he said, why didn't you take it with you then, I said, you never offered it.

Anyway, got the original stuff back on. Can't wait to run it.

Very happy, looks to be unfired.

There is a lot of great info in this thread, thanks everyone.

esh21167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #63
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

I have two MD-65s, and have only seen spot welds on the muzzle brakes.

None of the included photos here depict any welds on the muzzles, despite plenty of comments about "spot welds".

In very simple English, were any spot welds used on TGI (or other) AMD-65s anywhere Other than on muzzle brakes?
Laufer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #64
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKBlue, those 2,500 Hungarian rifles mentioned, are they specifically named as imports?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #65
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
AKBlue, those 2,500 Hungarian rifles mentioned, are they specifically named as imports?
No but the inference and context is pretty clear.
These were imported AMD65 firearms.

No vendor is sitting on 2500 US assembled from kits in the USA AMD65's. They would have had to be built and sold in lots as they get assembled/built etc.

Here is a partial listing in the court case affidavit.

Quote:
Based on the payments that have been made the Defendants should still have 2500 AMD65's at the Defendants main office at etc.,etc., until such time when they were to be sold on the commercial market.
Quote:
also 1245 AMD65 parts kits
Quote:
2,000 low capacity AKM receivers
And other stuff like FPK/PSL rifles or kits or receivers.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #66
mishaco
Curio & Relic

I think AKBlue and his PDF have started to crack this thing.

I agree with his assertion that no USA company building AKs from parts kits would have 2,500 just warehoused, laying around.
TGI wasn't an ultra-huge outfit like Century, and it was in financial trouble. It would have wanted to get as many guns out the door as fast as possible.
Usually kit builders do 10 to 100 at a time, and then post them for sale.
One probably wouldn't build 2.5k and then just sit on them. That wouldn't make sense. You build when you are ready to move something. Otherwise you just warehouse the parts kits and receivers until the time is right.

Speaking of, since that document refers to kits and AKM receivers separately, we have to conclude that those AMDs were at least semi-complete firearms.

Really, maybe ordering one of those Clearview guns would be worth it. I could look it over closely, shoot it, make a little video, and then flip it down the road. I am sure it would be worth the small loss in price to learn some things.

I have a preban SA 85m and access to a friend's postban SA 85m. I've had a few SA 2000m single stackers in the past, but don't ahve one at the moment and neither does a close friend that I know of.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #67
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

spot weld - small circular shaped inverted surface welds that attach two pieces of metal. These are made with electrically charged tongs/tips that connect the generally flat pieces of sheet steel

tack weld- a small weld puddle (or more than one puddle) attaching pieces usually at a seam. This is done with a gas/torch welding set up.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #68
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Partially inspired by this thread, I took my TGI FEG AMD out shooting today.
Also, I did get my rear sling swivel installed, so i wanted to shoot it with a sling on there.

It was a load of fun, so no surprise there. For such a light 7.62x39 rifle, it has very gentle recoil. This is thanks to that big ass muzzle brake no doubt.

A friend just offered me a used Clearview 'AMD63.' I think i'll take him up on it for educational purposes. After I am done, i will rebuild it into a true AKM63 clone as I just found an original parts kit. It doesn't have the barrel, but I have a couple FB Radom ones laying around here, so can just grab one of those to use.

So AKM63 kit + FEG SA 2000m receiver + Polish CHF barrel = nice rifle (I hope).
Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #69
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

^^^^ Good journey., gotta love the Hungarians>>

Old 12-30-2017, 04:01 AM   #70
mishaco
Curio & Relic

So i took in on trade one of those Clearview 'AMD63' rifles, and discovered something interesting.

Remember how i kept talking about how the TGI FEG AMD65 carbines only had a serial on the trunnion but not on the stamped part of the receiver itself?

Well with this CV AMD63, there is a serial on the underside of the receiver, in front of the magwell.
Interesting....

Also, while the spot welds do look like those on the TGI gun, the magwell itself was cut out to take double stack mags in a much sloppier/uneven fashion.
Of course some of the TGI guns might be too. I just have mine here to compare with.
On the otherhand, the CV gun has less mag woble/whiggle compared with most of the TGIs I've handled.

Just thought I'd share. Thought maybe someone else was interested by this stuff like me?