Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #36
DisgruntledReaper

AKaholic #: 8322

Hi Ding-thank you for the info on this..I have to give it a try this year sometime.

Being it would be my 1 st time, what is the way to clean the parts(pour hot distilled water on them?) and what kind of oile do you and the other guys used for the parts to cover them in?

Thank you for the info again.:<)
DisgruntledReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #37
Ding
onomanopeoia

AKaholic #: 7821

whats up disgruntled,I use brake cleaner,but you can use anything that does not leave a oily film on it.another thing you can do is boil and or bake the parts in the oven to get all the parts free of oil or cosmoline then degrease it.as for the oil,you can use WD 40 after the parking then use regular oil.nice to see people trying thisout.
Voice#7-"There's Nothing That a Screwdriver to the Temple Can't Fix"
SFC I Corps 68'-72'
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #38
DisgruntledReaper

Thanks Ding!
I was just wondering if the boiling hot water would work-I use this method to remove the oil/solvent/ and corrosive salts from the bores of my WW2 rifles before a final light oil swab and the parking solution is basically a corrosive solution with water in it so I did not even think of the brake parts cleaner for that (water) reason. I have written this down along with the 'recipe'. Now I just need some rusty beat to crap parts kits-my 2 kits look real good right now so I will not be redoing those.

Soon as I get my 2 receivers I will try one as a screw build since it has the holes threaded already_bought it that way- and the Romy G will maybe be done as a rivet-IF i can someone in So California who has the tools. There seems to be a scarcity of AK builders here where I am,more seem to be up north. That or we all maintain a low profile for obvious reasons.....Of course I am going to drag my Izzy HB FLA to the show this weekend to try scopes out on it...AND get a BIG PADDED SLING for that lovely bitch!----WOOO HOOO!!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #39
Ding
onomanopeoia

I find that boiling the parts then putting them in the oven to finish the oil/grease/cosmo removal works very well to rid the parts of the hard to get stuff like the pin areas,under the feed ramps,center support etc.I found that if I do the parts that are parked already they seem to come out even nicer and darker.just a thought..good luck man..
SFC I Corps 68'-72'
Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #40
DisgruntledReaper

Hmmm....I can Park OVER Park? I may have to try this on the G kit....The AMD is the black painted type finish. I do not have a Sand Blaster so stripping that willl be a no go.....
Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #41
Ding
onomanopeoia

if ya have a bench grinder with a wire wheel that will make quick work of that AMD finish.as for the park over park,it does make the old park look new and fills any bare spots etc.the wire wheel will take park off to.I did a tantal that way and used gun-kote on it.just clean the parts real good of oils and your good to go..
SFC I Corps 68'-72'