Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
AVL_AK
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179324
Default Former GM board member on driverless cars...

He was on the Glen Beck show (yeah, I know Beck sucks most of the time) talking about how people in the "car hobby" would have to drive their classic cars at a private membership track where they stored their car, because they wouldn't be allowed on the road. FUCK THAT!!!
“Military Information Support Operations (MISO), previously known as Psychological Operations (PSYOP), uses themes and messages to reach target audiences in order to influence their emotions, motives, reasoning, and ultimately the behavior of foreign governments, organizations, groups, and individuals.” – Reaching The Target Audience, a thesis presented to the Faculty of the U.S. Army Command.
AVL_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

Not gonna happen.
Too many variables for driverless cars when it comes to driving on the road.
Also computers always fail.
ninjamateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
BarnOwlLover

AKaholic #: 190949

I guess that's why Audi still have people behind the wheel when it comes to their autonomous cars. I don't think that fully driverless cars will be a big thing for years to come. They'll at least keep a driver as a manual override for when systems fail.

Granted, considering how some people drive, a f'd up driverless car can't be much worse...
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwlLover View Post
I guess that's why Audi still have people behind the wheel when it comes to their autonomous cars. I don't think that fully driverless cars will be a big thing for years to come. They'll at least keep a driver as a manual override for when systems fail.

Granted, considering how some people drive, a f'd up driverless car can't be much worse...
It appears you're behind the times.

Waymo ( owned by Google ) is now operating their autonomous fleet without any meatbags at all.

Waymo removes the driver from its driverless autos

Google is the first technology company to certify its autonomous fleet for true autonomy.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
xman4
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166314

Will autonomous tow trucks tow autonomous vehicles that break down?
xman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman4 View Post
Will autonomous tow trucks tow autonomous vehicles that break down?
Not until robots or androids become a reality.

Else who's gonna hook up the car to the wrecker?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
akenthusiast1

AKaholic #: 183368

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
It appears you're behind the times.

Waymo ( owned by Google ) is now operating their autonomous fleet without any meatbags at all.

Waymo removes the driver from its driverless autos

Google is the first technology company to certify its autonomous fleet for true autonomy.
akenthusiast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

The open road is a big part of Americana. Then again companies want drones glued to their advertisement platforms 24/7.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170271

I see the insurance companies creating change.
1) If you let the "Auto Pilot" Driver the car, they will charge you $0.10/mile or about $1,200/yr. If you want to drive the car, then they may want $0.45/mile, or $5,400/yr.
2) If the car can drive it self it can drop you off wherever you want to go, and then go find parking on its own.
3) I driver about 30,000/yr, if I can get on the open road, set the computer to drive and take a nap I'd be happy.
4) Have you seen how bad some people drive, some of them need a computer driver.
5) If my car has a computer driver, can I drink a beer on the way home?
6) When I am 90 I want a computer driver to take me to the DR, grocery store, etc.
I see pluses and minus to everything, that said, I like driving 20yr old pickups so it maybe a while before I get a computer driving car.
Larryphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #10
hdskumm
Fucking Member

AKaholic #: 176641

can I retrofit my bike?
hdskumm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #11
rogers

AKaholic #: 165529

I have seen several articles that claim a few major metro cities will be autonomous only vehicles in the not so distant future.. Like around 2040 I think. I think it was NYC and DC. They were talking about. There is some good and bad but I will be Damned if I will be made to accept it. Just another reason to never visit the big cities I guess.... Besides I am to poor to afford a car made in the 2000s.
rogers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 AM   #12
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

Quote:
Not until robots or androids become a reality.

Else who's gonna hook up the car to the wrecker?
docking system...roomba style
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
SAIGA 5.45
Ak files National Shoot Hooligan #1

AKaholic #: 174648

I am sure their profit margins would love for it to be mandated, but it won't happen, I can see some very good uses for driverless cars, very good uses, H/C folks transportation, long road trips, when you are drinking and needing to get home, so many other instances where your carriage driving itself would be hugely advantageous. If say you had a medical emergency, you could literally hit go to hospital and sit in the car until it gets you there, if you are someone with heart problems this could be a life saver for you and other people you won't hit by not having a heart attack behind the wheel.

That being said, as someone who loves to go out and tear the roads up every now and again I can't see self driven cars going away, or even the option to switch between driverless and self driven, it will always be there.

You basically got to hear a packaged nice version of what global elite's like to do to enslave the masses and how tech including AI is being worked into it's architecture. Not saying the technology doesn't have merit, it really does and is the way of the future for efficiency and safety, but it's implementation as well as others to come will determine our path of morality and necessity of the human species for better or worse.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #14
Obstreperous
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175617

What about 18 wheeler's, motorcycles, motor homes, Off road vehicles and boats?
‘At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.’

P. J. O’Rourke
Obstreperous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstreperous View Post
What about 18 wheeler's, motorcycles, motor homes, Off road vehicles and boats?
Self-driving 18-wheelers are a reality, although due to the higher regulatory nature of such vehicles, they still require a meatbag at the controls.

Autonomous boats have been around a long, long time.

"Off road vehicles", you say? Some of the universities / think tanks have been entering autonomous off-road vehicles into road rallies for years.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #16
Porcupine
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 178627

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post

You basically got to hear a packaged nice version of what global elite's like to do to enslave the masses and how tech including AI is being worked into it's architecture. Not saying the technology doesn't have merit, it really does and is the way of the future for efficiency and safety, but it's implementation as well as others to come will determine our path of morality and necessity of the human species for better or worse.
This.

Why are we oh so eager to sell our freedom for convienance?

I guess a life of comfortable slavery within a luke warm tapioca existence appeals to some.

Not me.
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
bill3542
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 64

damn... whats a ghetto rat gonna do, jack a driver less car without WTY driving it. where's the fun in that.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #18
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3542 View Post
damn... whats a ghetto rat gonna do, jack a driver less car without WTY driving it. where's the fun in that.
They’ll just move to different crime. Criminals gonna criminal. Mexico is a good example of this in action. Can’t drive down roads without being shot at now.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
Obstreperous
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175617

Quote:
Self-driving 18-wheelers are a reality, although due to the higher regulatory nature of such vehicles, they still require a meatbag at the controls.

"Off road vehicles", you say? Some of the universities / think tanks have been entering autonomous off-road vehicles into road rallies for years.
I realize just about anything can be driver less but what fun is that. I use my boat or wave runner because I like to drive and steer them. Even if they could read my mind in real time I want to have the wheel and do things in the moment.
‘At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.’

P. J. O’Rourke
Obstreperous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
Porcupine
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 178627

Going to be AWESOME when some drunk just puked in the pod that comes to pick you up, or Luis CK was the last occupant.
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #21
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
This.

Why are we oh so eager to sell our freedom for convienance?

I guess a life of comfortable slavery within a luke warm tapioca existence appeals to some.

Not me.
I don't think it's how willing people are, most people don't realize they are being cultured into acceptance without thinking now, I can embrace change and technology but not as a means of servitude or control.

It may be the greatest battle of the next century, I think if we lose it, mankind as a whole will eventually eat itself or cause it's own destruction.

God gave us choice, and those among us without that perception are seeking to destroy that by implementing ideas like Mr. Lutz suggests.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #22
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:

Yup.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #23
MXGreg

AKaholic #: 183841

Driverless cars have been "right around the corner" for sixty years.

MXGreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #24
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

makes me think of that scene in hot tub time machine 2
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #25
Gunr223
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164442

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post

Yup.
So what happens when the radar gets shot?
Gunr223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #26
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

So,if a deer jumps out in front of a driverless car,will it choose to hit the deer and not the school bus full of kids in the oncoming lane? Or plow into the bus?
The only benefit I see is drunks being able to own cars again. Get shitfaced,and the car drives you home.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #27
RadScorpius
Twinkie

AKaholic #: 164660

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
So,if a deer jumps out in front of a driverless car,will it choose to hit the deer and not the school bus full of kids in the oncoming lane? Or plow into the bus?
The only benefit I see is drunks being able to own cars again. Get shitfaced,and the car drives you home.
Google was talking about that, and it’s a hard solution, if you gave the car that choice then the car can make misktakes like humans, yet making mistakes is what driverless cars were made to prevent. Some also think by giving machines the ability to make moral choices, they now have free will, something machines made by men should not have.

AK barrels hardness testing results.
RadScorpius is online now   Reply With Quote