Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > Atlantic Firearms

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Bracky

AKaholic #: 190243
Default Polish WBP CG1 magazine fit issues

Hello!

Just got my WBP built on the polish type receiver from Atlantic. I haven’t shot it yet but was checking magazines for fit.

I need to fiddle with more later but so far I have had a few Mags that won’t even lock and then multiples that fit, don’t seem to come loose but don’t give that satisfying “click” my VEPR and M92 have for the same Mags.

For example, I have 2 recently purchased Hungarian tanker mags that lock on my other 3 AKs but will not lock on the WBP and just fall out if I hit them from behind. I tried a Bakelite, Russian waffle and surplus and these seem to fit but don’t appear to “click” in but they also don’t fall out when smacked from behind so they may function just fine. While these mags all click in on my other 3 AKs.

Anyone else have any mag issues with one of these?
Bracky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Welcome to the world of the Kalashnikov, OP.

Not every mag fits every Kalashnikov.

Trade the ones that don't fit with others who have mags that don't fit, and eventually everyone will have mags that work w/o issue.

Or just sell the problematic ones.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Bracky

It is not uncommon for mags to fit different from mag to mag and rifle to rifle. The AK was designed around very loose tolerances including the mags. Typically the WBP mag catch will be tight thus making some mags not want to lock in as easily as others. This can be remedied by a simple file on the bottom of the back locking tab of the mag. As the gun and your mag are broken in you will see less of an issue . The AF MFG WBP guns are tested during construction with 3 different mags but obviously we can not test all mags made for the last 40 plus years . If you would like to PM me with your contact info we will be glad to call .
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

OP... I had an issue with just about all my mags with my CG1. After some very careful inspection, and measuring with a micrometer, I found that the gap between the mag catch, and the flat spacer between the mag catch and the receiver were in spec and matched my WASR, and Veper. I did notice that the top edge of the mag latch (the part that locks in on the bottom flat of the mag tab) was sharp, and squared off, where as my WASR, and Vepr had a slight rounded curve to it. I took a very small flat file, and GENTLY eased the edge, being very careful to not open up the space between the mag latch, and flat spacer between the latch, and receiver. I now have very positive mag lock up, and the typical AK mag click, and no more issues with mags not fitting.

These guns are built on new parts, and I am sure the builders have to fit just about all of the parts during the build process. Atlantic mentioned that these are tested with three different mags, and based on the build quality of mine, I do not doubt it. I normally would never suggest fitting the gun to the mags, but have a look at the the top edge of the mag catch that faces the muzzle end of the gun. Relieving that edge might be an option here. If you do it, take your loosest fitting mag, and test with just about every swipe of the file.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 11-13-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Maxx you are correct their is a possibility of the top of the mag catch being a bit rough and a quick polish with a file can help that is the beauty of the Kalashnikov design !
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
vincent317

AKaholic #: 191574

OP - I just read your post & decided to check the different AK mags I currently have on hand and only found one brand that did not fit in my CG1.
Tankers - fit
Russian - fit
Polish - fit
Bulgarian - fit
Magpul Gen 3 - did not fit (goes in but does not lock)
vincent317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Bracky

AKaholic #: 190243

I will have to take a look at the mag latch and compare it to my other AKs. As stated above the only mags so far that won’t latch at all are my 2 Hungarian tankers (which firmly latch in my other 3 AKs). My others seem to lock in just don’t give that clear “click” I’m used to on my other AKs. I’ll have to take an inventory later of all my mags.
Bracky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

I have 6 tanker mags and 2 don't fit but the others do. No problems with any others.I don't do Magpuls so that's not an issue for me.