Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > Palmetto State Armory

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Zer0DazE

AKaholic #: 57237
Default PSAK my not so good experience

I have been lurking and reading here for a while, but just don't have time to post regularly on forums. With that said I felt this needed to be posted.

Here is a link to my original thread documenting my issues with the rifle and how it was handled by PSA.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=143745.0
I am going to copy and paste stuff from this thread, so if things read like Pulp Fiction I apologize.

I bought a pair of barreled receivers and build kits. One of them is still sitting in my racks because I am still not sure what to do with it.

The kit assembled easy enough, but once in battery (no round in chamber) it didn't always want to unlock. To the point that it needed a mallet to open the action. I was told it just need to break in.

So I went to the range to break it in.

The rifle made it 63 rounds before being stopping. When it stopped I heard a rattling inside the rifle. Opening it up I found the firing pin laying inside the receiver.

When I got the rifle back to the house I took a closer look. Nothing looked amiss with the receiver, trunion, or carrier. The bolt has noticeable peening on the cam lug at the first angle. So much so that it will catch my finger nail. Looking down the back of the bolt I noticed it was a perfectly round, uninterrupted hole, even though the firing pin retaining pin was still in place.

Here are some pics.

random nick in the back of the bolt

pin still in place

The pin

I picked up the last few rounds I shot and found these.

I think the pin broke, then punctured the last 3 rounds I fired, and the pressure fired the firing pin back hard enough to take a bite out of the retaining pin.

On the bright side, at 50 yards, with Wolf 124 SP, and a Pilade red dot the rifle kept all of its rounds inside the 2" black. Not bad for a red dot that covers more than double that. When it shoots, it shoots well... too bad it's not shooting right now.

I shot an email over to Palmetto, and will give them a call Monday. Hopefully they will remedy the issue.

Another note about these rifles. The bayo lug is too thick top to bottom. In order to fit a bayonet you will need to either shave it down from the bottom, or work over the female section of the bayonet.

I see a lot of good press about these rifles, and few complaints. Hopefully I received the rare dude, but it makes me wonder if the gun mags and youtubers are just happy to receive free products.

I decided to take a pic of the peening. Pics are worth 1000 words.

On Oct 31, 2016 PSA sent out return label for the rifle.

Posted on Nov 8, 2016
Shipped it out last week, and it arrived at PSA on Friday. Today (Tuesday) the rifle showed up at my door. That's an impressive turn around time.

The firing pin and retaining pin were replaced, along with an poor fitting slant brake. A note inside said it was test fired with 10 rounds and functioned properly. There was no mention of the peening/smearing of the cam lug on the bolt. I cleaned up the lug with a jewelers file, and hopefully it won't displace any more metal.

It will come with me to the range again next week if the weather is good, and I will run 100-200 rounds through it to see if it breaks again.

So far I am pleased with the support/service. The turn around time really was outstanding.

Posted Nov 15, 2016
I brought the PSA AK out to the range today for the first time after getting it back. The rifle ran through 100 rounds with no stoppages. I inspected the bolt where it had peened before, and I see no signs of deformed metal. So that's good.

For the bad. The trigger is horrible. I don't understand how they screwed that up, all they had to do was make a copy of the Tapco trigger group.

I also sighted in the irons, and found that the front sight block is canted a bit. I don't have the front sight barrel pushed all the way over, but it's pretty far. Not a real big deal since it can still be zeroed with a little more room for adjustment.

Even though it does shoot a really nice group, I can't say I would tell my friends to buy one.

And then Dec 7, 2016
So I was pulling the trigger assembly, getting ready to swap it with a Tapco setup when I noticed something odd on the bolt were the firing pin retaining pin goes it. At first I thought it looked like the pin had been sticking up and got squished, but after closer inspection it looks like PSA welded it in place when they replaced it!

I sent them an email asking for an explanation, and explained that I want the rifle replaced or refunded at this point. I have lost almost all faith in this company's ability to build a proper AK style rifle.

pics

It would appear they hired the old Century Arms crew, or the guys from IO Inc.

It was suggested that the bolt had been peened (the new ones are), but there was a blob on top of that bolt

PSA was contacted immediately. They didn't respond until for 3 weeks, and the rifle was shipped back in late December.

On Feb 13th I finally got through to someone (they never got back to me) after holding over an hour. The CS rep said they would call me back... they didn't. I called back the next day and was told they were "working on it".

I called back on March 1 since I hadn't still heard nothing back. This is when PSA finally broke to me that they had lost the rifle. The CS rep was very apologetic and promised to make it right.

The new rifle didn't show up at my FFL until March 30, 2017. PSA was nice enough to toss in 7 Magpul mag. 1 for every month?

Since receiving the rifle it has seen less than 500 round, mostly Golden Tiger. It has sat in my racks with about 70 other rifles covered in the same Balistol as the rest of them. I took it out to shoot on Sept 29, 2017 and this is what I saw when cleaning it.

There is also rust creeping around the barrel and trunnion.

PSA has again been contacted, and I am again waiting for a response. In spite of all the bad, it is the most accurate AK I have had come through my collection.
Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
euphrates
Red List All Star

AKaholic #: 177426

whats up with the pebble finish on the reciever?
euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
whats up with the pebble finish on the reciever?
No idea, that's how it came.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT

AKaholic #: 183815

popcorn time
Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT View Post
popcorn time
No need for popcorn, it just me documenting my experience with this particular purchase and rifle, for better or for worse. I have had numerous positive transactions with PSA (for the moneyt I still think you can't beat their AR's); however, this is the 2nd rifle from this line that has been sub par. The customer service related to this purchase was substandard, until I dealt with the last rep who was actually honest with me about the situation (the lost rifle). I want to believe the company has more employees like her, and will make this right.

I will say that I am up in the air about even wanting a replacement. I may call them and requesting something else in the same price range like an old VZ2008, or some other parts kit as a replacement. I have been more than patient with all of this.

PSA (Dylan) replied to my request for the RMA on 10/03/2017 in the morning, and I provided them with the required information at 8:26 PM when I got home.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT

All I was doing was tagging into this thread. I have over 5 complete PSA rifles. No problems at all. I am thinking some day of getting one of their AK's.

I still can't believe their CS sucks so bad in the age of Al Gore's amazing internet.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
Zer0DazE

I took the rifle apart this morning before heading in to work. Here are a few more pics of rust I found on the barreled receiver.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT

Salt bath nitride? LOL!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Bvrian

AKaholic #: 190245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0DazE View Post
I took the rifle apart this morning before heading in to work. Here are a few more pics of rust I found on the barreled receiver.

I’m not sure that’s rust. I had a PSAK GB2 Blem for a week or so and it seemed like some kind of lube/gunk that rubbed right off. Try scrubbing it off with a plastic brush. I ended up sending the rifle back for an issue they couldn’t fix and got a refund.
Bvrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT View Post
Salt bath nitride? LOL!
I was of the impression they use a salt nitride process on their parts.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...shing-touches/
If that is not correct, please feel free to correct me.

Bvrian, I have hit the spots with a soft brush with Hoppes, and it did not remove it. Hitting it with a brass brush removes it and leaves a raw (silver) metal finish.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 10-05-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT

Quote:
I was of the impression they use a salt nitride process on their parts.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...shing-touches/
If that is not correct, please feel free to correct me.

Bvrian, I have hit the spots with a soft brush with Hoppes, and it did not remove it. Hitting it with a brass brush removes it and leaves a raw (silver) metal finish.

Sorry, I couldn't find the sarcasm button. Maybe they dipped it in the Atlantic Ocean? My I.O. AK has rust around the rivets. No matter what I do. I hit them with a paint brush and Motorkote. No help.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
Browning Hi Power

AKaholic #: 191931

Those orange lines you see are cosmoline and are completely normal. All of my Romanian AKs have them (WASR, SAR 1 and 2, Draco) when I look at them closely with a light and I think my SAM7s and Veprs have them as well. It's completely normal.
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Those orange lines you see are cosmoline and are completely normal. All of my Romanian AKs have them (WASR, SAR 1 and 2, Draco) when I look at them closely with a light and I think my SAM7s and Veprs have them as well. It's completely normal.
My WASRs and other AKs have cosmoline yes, but this is rust. I am not trying to sound like as ass (the interwebz does that), but I have had dozens of AK pattern rifles come through my collect, still have a handful, and have cleaned 16 pages in my log book of C&R rifles covered in cosmoline.

At first when I saw it creeping that's what I thought it was, but when solvents and a toothbrush didn't remove it I started to scratch my head. When I looked closer that is when I started seeing it all over the rifle. Look at the pictures of the rust under the front trunnion and around the barrel and trunnion. Those are the pics that best show the rust (it's fuzzy).

When scrubbed hard and long enough with a brass brush and solvent the rust can be removed. It also removes the blackened finish under the rust. There is no way a little scrubbing with a brass brush is going to remove a black nitride finish/color.

Anyways, PSA has been on the ball so far with this. I received my RMA tags today, and dropped it off at UPS this morning (10/06/2017).
Old 10-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
Browning Hi Power

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
My WASRs and other AKs have cosmoline yes, but this is rust. I am not trying to sound like as ass (the interwebz does that), but I have had dozens of AK pattern rifles come through my collect, still have a handful, and have cleaned 16 pages in my log book of C&R rifles covered in cosmoline.

At first when I saw it creeping that's what I thought it was, but when solvents and a toothbrush didn't remove it I started to scratch my head. When I looked closer that is when I started seeing it all over the rifle. Look at the pictures of the rust under the front trunnion and around the barrel and trunnion. Those are the pics that best show the rust (it's fuzzy).

When scrubbed hard and long enough with a brass brush and solvent the rust can be removed. It also removes the blackened finish under the rust. There is no way a little scrubbing with a brass brush is going to remove a black nitride finish/color.

Anyways, PSA has been on the ball so far with this. I received my RMA tags today, and dropped it off at UPS this morning (10/06/2017).
Well you have more experience than me so if it’s rust, then I know for sure all my Romanians have the same rust spots and I bought a few of them brand new. Those spots look exactly like yours when examined with a flashlight. I don’t have any experience with American AKs but maybe it’s a lower end AK type thing to where they don’t clean it out as thoroughly? I’m going to check my Vepr and SAM7.
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #15
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
maybe it’s a lower end AK type thing to where they don’t clean it out as thoroughly?
I believe this is probably what is going on. PSA may be sending their stuff to the lowest bidder for finish, or it may their learning curve, but it looks like a dip, quick and incomplete rinse, and insufficient oil bath.

The pics are bad, and in the pics there is a lot of Balistol and Hoppes from long term storage and an attempt to clean it after shooting.

Edit:
It's not worth a new post, but the barreled receiver arrived at PSA 10/10/2017.

Edit 2:
UPS attempted delivery today, but I wasn't home to sign for the package. Since it didn't go to an FFL I am going to assume they are sending the same firearm back to me. I am off Monday and will pick the rifle up from the UPS hub then and update the thread.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 10-18-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Zer0DazE

Picked up the rifle from UPS, brought it home, looked it over, put it all back together (only sent back the barreled action), and took some pics. Lets start with the packaging. I sent it back in bubble wrap and in the box with foam they sent it in.

What I received looked like a Century Arms box. The action was oiled, put in a bag, wrapped loosely with some brown paper, and tossed in the box. This helped me pick out the box at the pickup place since the charging handle was sticking out of a hole in the box. This is upsetting because everything I have ever received from PSA has been extremely well packaged in foam.

At first glance the action looked good, and the turn around time was good with attempted delivery 10/18. I will give kudos for a 1 week turn around.

Barrel pin, looks good but there is still the finish missing around the pin on the other side (as pictured above).

Oh, wait look it is still under the plate. Sorry, my camera wouldn't focus on the section I wanted it to.

Where did the finish go on the head of this pin? Looks more like Duracoat than a black nitride finish. This has me thinking about euphrates' comment. So I went to the PSA website. It only mentions the barrel being nitrided, and as such I guess I can assume the assembled action is just hit with Duracoat, or something similar.

Why are all the edges of my rear sight now in the white?

The area around the trunnion that had rust before still does now. So to confirm it's got just grease from assembly I hit it with a stiff bristle brush and some oil. Here is what it looked like.
[img]bristle brush[/img]
oiled rust.

Here it is after hitting it with a brass brush. Here it is after wiping it all down.

Light pitting and no finish

I did the same on the other side. Before and after.

More light pitting and no finish.

I assume those areas were missed because they are tough to get at. Other than that it looks like they just scrubbed the exposed areas of the rifle with a wire brush, wiped it down, oiled it, and sent it back.

The rifle has been coated in Ballistol and put back in the racks for now.

I'm not happy, but I'm not disappointed... it's meh. I think with Century pimping NPAPs for $475 this month, and everyone else selling them for about the same as these, they are a better buy than these. It is better than the first one I received (pre billet trunnion), but the PSAK still has some growing to do.

Also, how hard is it for manufacturers to add cuts/dimples for their selector lever? Really? The selector sliding up too high is a pet peeve of mine.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
Zer0DazE

Double post. It started raining, so I had to cut short my yard work. While I was in the shop I looked over and saw a box of Kano products on the bench, and it got me thinking.

So I grabbed some acetone and Exrust. I wiped the areas with Acetone to clean the area. Then I just dabbed on some Exrust, drank a beer, and waited.

Before

Apply Exrust with a Q-Tip and drink a beer. After

Oh look, no more rust. So no, it is not cosmoline, it is rust. You can also see that some parts of the rifle are blued and others not. The finish was removed from the mag catch but not the receiver or trunnion.

All of the bare metal was easily covered up with Brownells T4.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #18
SPIN1963
Periodically banned by management

AKaholic #: 168051

You will never get the rust out of it ... that is bad paint process revenge. Make PSA take it back and get a refund. Call them, I have waited almost 40mins before getting a live one.
SPIN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #19
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT

"I have waited almost 40mins before getting a live one." wow! They must like you! 1:05 for me.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #20
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN1963 View Post
You will never get the rust out of it ... that is bad paint process revenge. Make PSA take it back and get a refund. Call them, I have waited almost 40mins before getting a live one.
I am going back and forth with them now. I don't have high hopes.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Zer0DazE

And I sold it. Issue resolved. Though the issue was replaced with a problematic Century C308. I must be a masochist.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Quote:
And I sold it. Issue resolved. Though the issue was replaced with a problematic Century C308. I must be a masochist.
You must be. The Kano company makes awesome chemicals. I saw it in your previous post. I swear by Kroil. That stuff is amazing.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #23
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
You must be. The Kano company makes awesome chemicals. I saw it in your previous post. I swear by Kroil. That stuff is amazing.
Kroil..........haven't seen that in many years!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #24
Zer0DazE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
Yep, it's on it's way back to Century for the second time.
The first time was for a ground bolt and carrier with bad bolt gap. Then they replaced the bolt and carrier with CETME B parts. The carrier was resting on the cocking tube support giving a false bolt gap measurement. With the support removed I had a bolt gap that was much smaller and out of spec.

Even with PTR involved they can't build these properly. At least their customer service has been top notch.