Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #36
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Wet weather has increased the insect population therefore has led to an increase in the predators that feed on them . Black widows are very passive and if u leave them alone they will leave u alone . Black Widow Spiders are extremely common , especially in the deep south but also in the Midwest and much of the rest of the nation . They like to build nests in wood-piles , brush-piles , along the eaves of buildings , electrical boxes , in barns , sheds , or anywhere out of the sun and usually close to the ground . If u leave them alone they will leave u alone .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #37
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawny View Post
Well, now I'm not nervous at all about moving around under the house
Donít worry too much. Mine was a unique case in that I took multiple bites in a thin skinned area. Most bites arenít nearly as bad. And it was my fault, not the spiders. As the poster above said, theyíre shy creatures and will leave you alone as long as you leave it alone. It is still wise to be a little cautious though if youíre digging around where they might have nests.
Browning Hi Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #38
maxhush
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 39250

I had a black widow in a deck box in the yard where I store gas cans and such. As mentioned, it was very shy and did it's best to avoid me when I'd open the box (I'd thump on the lid to give it time to retreat). They will however get very defensive if you get your hand near their egg sacks. And they can move like greased lightening when they want. I've killed a few in the garage over the years. Never seen one in the house. And it seems from my limited experience like when you have black widows you won't find brown recluses.

In ten years chances are you will receive better medical care being abducted by aliens than under obamacare
maxhush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #39
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

It is Bad Luck to kill a spider . This is very True !
Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #40
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Theyíre not very prone to biting, but the pain from a full on bite is absolutely horrendous. Mind-altering pain. All the major muscle masses in your body (thighs and abdomen) cramp... and the cramp doesnít go away.... for 48 hours.

I spent three nights in the hospital being pumped with morphine and some other opiate (dilodin I think). Apparently the antivenin can cause fatal allergic reactions so they donít use it very often unless itís absolutely necessary. There are no English words to describe the pain.

Imagine when you make a wrong movement and your inner thigh cramps... hold that pain almost throughout your entire body with no relief. I couldnít stop screaming in agony, from the moment the venom took effect til the moment I was in the hospital and in a state of daze from the opiates.

Agony. Absolute agony.
I was bitten by a fairly large one on my toe..... Putting my slippers on in the backyard.

The bite was nothing, similar to small ant.
I could feel the venom working it's way up my leg and affected area cramp up in the process.... after a few hours I did go to ER, the heart rate was 155 nonstop and sweating like crazy.... Abdominal cramps nonstop etc.
Dr. gave some morphine and I went home but couldn't sit still from cramping up of abdominal, kidneys etc.
I did some research and found out that symptoms can linger on for 3 days, I said F that and went back to ER 5 hours later for anti-venom......another 2 hours and I got anti-venom... pain and cramping went away within 1 minute from a dose of antivenom.
My whole experience from a bite was more discomfort rather then pain-agony.

Most hospitals won't give you the anti-venom unless you ask for it and some would withhold it by lying to you.
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #41
nhm90
Banned

AKaholic #: 166963

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
What an odd response, was this a +1 to your post count or some kind of computer generated bot response? lol.
nhm90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #42
johnbrian
Non-swimming Radioactive Penguin

AKaholic #: 177329

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
The geckos in my yard do the killing. And they are doing just fine luckwise!

Quote:
"[My] religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson
johnbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #43
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon&AlcoholDistributor View Post
I was bitten by a fairly large one on my toe..... Putting my slippers on in the backyard.

The bite was nothing, similar to small ant.
I could feel the venom working it's way up my leg and affected area cramp up in the process.... after a few hours I did go to ER, the heart rate was 155 nonstop and sweating like crazy.... Abdominal cramps nonstop etc.
Dr. gave some morphine and I went home but couldn't sit still from cramping up of abdominal, kidneys etc.
I did some research and found out that symptoms can linger on for 3 days, I said F that and went back to ER 5 hours later for anti-venom......another 2 hours and I got anti-venom... pain and cramping went away within 1 minute from a dose of antivenom.
My whole experience from a bite was more discomfort rather then pain-agony.

Most hospitals won't give you the anti-venom unless you ask for it and some would withhold it by lying to you.
I previously had had a mild allergic reaction to antivenom for a rattlesnake bite at the same hospital so the doctors were concerned I'd have a worse reaction to this one. At the time, they told my parents that I was at risk of going into shock without the antivenom, and with the antivenom I was at risk of having a fatal allergic reaction. My parents and I opted out of taking the antivenom. I continued to have cramps after my discharge but they prescribed me opiates to take for the pain.

The bites themselves didn't hurt much, but before I swatted the spider off it had bitten me four or five times in the web area between my thumb and index finger. I was not alarmed at first, I figured I'd ride it through. This was the morning before going to high school.

When I was taking a shower, I noticed intense shooting pain underneath my armpit (later read that it was venom spreading to the lymph nodes). I didn't want to tell my parents what had happened so I just rode through the pain until I reached school. When I got to school, the venom really started to take effect. My abdomen was completely tensed up and when I would talk it sounded like I had been punched in the stomach. I could barely move my abdomen just to inhale. I told my friend to come with me to the nurse's office at which point I collapsed at the front door and some students nearby carried me inside.

Then the cramping really started. The entire time I was writhing around on the nurse's bed and screaming in agony. At one point, I told the security officer in the room to knock me out with something because I could no longer bear the pain. They called 911 and that's when they took me to the ER. The doctors there said it was one of the worst widow bites that they had seen. I don't think it would have been nearly as bad if I had not been bitten in a thin skinned area as many times as I had. I'm not sensitive to pain, but this was not an average bite.
Browning Hi Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #44
johnbrian
Non-swimming Radioactive Penguin

AKaholic #: 177329

^Ouch!
Quote:
"[My] religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson
johnbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #45
yepitsacentury
Banned

AKaholic #: 155395

The more I read the more determined I become too find and destroy the little bastards.
yepitsacentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #46
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176307

I guess I'm pretty lucky with just excess crabgrass and ants this year.

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

LOOKING TO BUY: T2 OR T3 SOVIET THREADED AK47 BARREL

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Weaponmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #47
lostintejas
Grumpy Old Man

AKaholic #: 183194

3 oz per gallon in a garden sprayer. Controls just about anything that bugs you.

Last edited by lostintejas; 08-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.
lostintejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #48
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhm90 View Post
What an odd response, was this a +1 to your post count or some kind of computer generated bot response? lol.
Not a bot .
Old 08-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #49
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrian View Post
The geckos in my yard do the killing. And they are doing just fine luckwise!

I used to have a big Tokay Gecko that ran wild in my home . He would come out at night to eat the roaches , till the cat ate him . Oh well what's a guy to do .
Old 08-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #50
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

AKaholic #: 186633

Earlier this year I killed 7 adult widows and many juveniles on my sun porch in one night.

Maybe it really is Russians.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #51
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

I have been using Sevin, mixed with water and a little soap, spraying around the perimeter of my home. keeps the bugs from getting in. I also have 20 chickens which seem to keep most critters on the outside, from living too long.

I am getting rady to do another application...black ants, both large and small, seem to have found a way in.

Sevin works very well, but its hot. So make sure to wear a mask and don't get it on you.

I hate spiders...

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote