Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Bigboss4198
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 178196
Default “Battle belt” set up help

Need some help finding a good battle belt and how to set it up. What inner belt do I need? Also I plan to use it with a chest rig. My rig is my primary for my rifle mags.

On the Belt I would want a dump pouch, med kit, a place to hold my knife (I use my am bayonets I think they work great) and pistol holster with two extra pistol mags, flashlight and miscellaneous pouch. Maybe one for an extra rifle mag.

I’ve never used a battle belt before. Looking for some good recommendations and where I can find the accessories to add to the belt. MOLLE preferred.

Chest rig I typically use is a Russian rig I bought from here.
Bigboss4198 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
ValHalla211
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 112949

Battle belts are awesome. They usually have d rings or slots to access the inner belt for attaching to chest rigs or suspenders.

Without suspenders you don't want to attach many mags to it but with just suspenders and the belt you could even run the belt with a few mags and have a sleek setup.

If using with a chest rig make sure you attach them. What I've found is that if you are moving and changing positions a lot, the chest rig can push your belt down some.
"We are fully aware that war is not the only way to defend our values. But if those values are fundamentally endangered, as is the case today, then war is the only way to defend them. Everything that hinders us in our effort to defend ourselves is an injustice. We did not want this war, it was thrust upon us, like all others. Defending one's people is a holy duty," - Ratko Mladic

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
ValHalla211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Grizz5212

AKaholic #: 189156

Picked up a battle belt off of LBT for about 65 bucks. Doesn't use an internal belt, but I haven't had any fitment/positioning problems. I have it setup with my holster and IFAK on the left (am left handed) and multi-tool, pistol mag pouches, and dump pouch on the right. I wear it with a plate carrier. So far it's been comfortable and no issues.

I use a Blackhawk mole adapter for the holster, a standard USGI IFAK, mag pouches from high ground gear, and the dump pouch is just a cheap one made by condor IIRC.

Last edited by Grizz5212; 05-23-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Grizz5212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
7.62 short

AKaholic #: 185503

I run a vtac belt with 2 gcode scorpion soft shell pistol mags, 3 scorpion soft shell rifle mags, med kit directly in rear, glock in a safariland als, and an external extra tq pouch. Could add a knife if i wanted. The scorpion soft shells are my favorite rifle mag holders to date.. they work equally well for both ar and ak, and their design allows the mag to be pulled easily from awkward angles/ positions. This setup has accompanied me through 23 carbine classes, and dozens and dozens of active practice sessions and i would not change a thing about it.
7.62 short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Bigboss4198
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Is it possible to post some pics? How could I attach one. Does my size matter? 6’3 250lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValHalla211 View Post
Battle belts are awesome. They usually have d rings or slots to access the inner belt for attaching to chest rigs or suspenders.

Without suspenders you don't want to attach many mags to it but with just suspenders and the belt you could even run the belt with a few mags and have a sleek setup.

If using with a chest rig make sure you attach them. What I've found is that if you are moving and changing positions a lot, the chest rig can push your belt down some.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Bigboss4198
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz5212 View Post
Picked up a battle belt off of LBT for about 65 bucks. Doesn't use an internal belt, but I haven't had any fitment/positioning problems. I have it setup with my holster and IFAK on the left (am left handed) and multi-tool, pistol mag pouches, and dump pouch on the right. I wear it with a plate carrier. So far it's been comfortable and no issues.

I use a Blackhawk mole adapter for the holster, a standard USGI IFAK, mag pouches from high ground gear, and the dump pouch is just a cheap one made by condor IIRC.

Holster I would want it for a Glock 17/19 or cz75b and one holster Incase I want to run revolvers. Switch it around some.

I also need an IFAK. Do they sell complete ifaks online?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
UsernameMDM
x39

AKaholic #: 169388

If you use it in conjunction with a plate carrier or pack, make sure one doesn't interfere with the other.

I have an HSGI slimgrip with a Condor tactical belt. Something I did to prevent the belt from moving around is using 4 of the Condor 4" Mod Strap as keepers (3" would have been PERFECT, if anyone knows of some, let me know!), running it through the molle of my battle belt and attaching it to my pants belt.
UsernameMDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

I've been running a battle belt for a bit now, but I can't figure out a good way to get an AKM bayonet on there. The outer is all MOLLE as it's the gear I've got. When you figure out how to get the bayo on, I'd LOVE to see it!

As for my inner, I went with a black heavy duty police duty belt. It's stiffer than shit, and doesn't slide down on me at all.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Grizz5212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboss4198 View Post
Holster I would want it for a Glock 17/19 or cz75b and one holster Incase I want to run revolvers. Switch it around some.

Holster-wise, are you looking for something that is quick change or something more basic like a molle adapter that you can screw/bolt down to a variety of kydex holsters? There are a lot of options out there based on your wants/needs. Most of the big companies (Blackhawk, Safari-land, G-Code, etc) have some sort of molle adapter for kydex holsters whether quick detach or a bolt/screw-on setup (adapter to holster).

As for the IFAK, an Internet search of "complete IFAK" will render something like this... https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/...-aid-kit-ifak/. You can also just get an IFAK pouch and stock it based on your needs. My IFAK is what was provided to me in RFI, so I don't know much about the commercial offerings.

I will see if I can get some pictures of my setup tomorrow, when I am back in the office.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
newtothegame
CPL/1st CivDiv

AKaholic #: 159222

I run a HSGI with tacos
A snug pack buttpack
HSGI blow out kit
OKC9 bayonet

Want to get a GCODE RTI set up holster for my CZ SP01 and Glock 19

For AK bayonets I think Circle 10 AK still has some MOLLE adapters

You're Twittering the shit outta the AK Files.
newtothegame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
Bagherra

AKaholic #: 182343

Pics of everyone's belt set ups would be nice!!

I'd like to see what everybody is using
Bagherra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Stetchkov

AKaholic #: 186466

I'd look into HSGI, SOE, Safariland, Maxpedition, Spiritus Systems, etc. regards mag pouches, holsters, belts, dump pouch, IFAK, minimalistic chest rigs...

Last edited by Stetchkov; 05-24-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Stetchkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
adam6955
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 175102

TTIWWOP

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe." - Thomas Jefferson

"If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail."

"They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
adam6955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Grizz5212

Here are some pics of my setup. It is simple, but does what I need it do.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #15
Spook76

AKaholic #: 161291

Disclaimers: I don't have as much waist "real estate" as some (32"), so I've had to get more creative with my belts over the years...FWIW, everybody has their own idea of what's needed/wanted on such a belt, and what I run is based on my use of them in military and contracting for the past 20-ish years. If your waist is larger, or you feel you need/want things I don't/vice versa, at least this may give some food for thought.

I like to always have at least *some* water and a compass on the belt (I'm silly old school like that), and anything that goes on it must be a real need, kept basic for weight/bulk concerns, etc. If I need more crap than the belt, I have carriers/chest rigs and packs to scale up. I suggest remembering that the belt is often the first thing on, last thing off, and most likely to stay on more of the time if you ground your other gear--it needs, IMO, to be basically capable of getting you to your other crap/un-ass a place/be okay as a standalone at times, etc. without getting crazy.

For reference, most of this is HSGI and Tactical Tailor. Knife is a Fällkniven A1 (used to be on left side, and likely going back there). Holster is a G-Code XST with retention bale thingy, attached via one of their RTI wheels--for quick swap of different holsters (I also have a military M12 I can swap the wheel with, via a Bawidamann molle plate thingy). As needed, I usually wear this "batbelt" with a Mayflower APC, and have no fit issues (may differ for other body types).

I just washed and reassembled it all...Maintaining stuff is important, but a real pita, at times. Oh, things are less cramped when worn than it looks flat for the pic.

For mounting some knives/bayonets to MOLLE, you might check out the aforementioned Bawidamann plate adapter options, and there exists a simple USGI adapter for doing this sort of thing (different, simpler, but works okay for knives). Hope that helps.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Spook76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #16
Grizz5212

Nice setup Spook!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
UsernameMDM
x39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
~snip
What exactly are the pouches for #3, 6, & 7?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

Spook's setup is top shelf. Emulate that one.
Romy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #19
Spook76

Thanks for the compliments, Y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
What exactly are the pouches for #3, 6, & 7?
3= HSGI single rifle taco, with a Tactical Tailor "Strobe/Compass Pouch" (see note/links for 7, below, as it's a double of the same pouch) strapped to outside with a TT molle clip thingy

6= Tactical Tailor "Fight Light Multi-tool pouch"
https://www.tacticaltailor.com/fight...toolpouch.aspx

7= Tactical Tailor "Strobe/Compass Pouch" (NOT the fight light version currently only option on the TT website, though that might be fine for some uses--I've read the FL version is tighter inside...Below are the beefier version I have.)
https://www.optactical.com/stcopo.html
https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Tail...tag=files05-20

If you need to know whether some certain common item(s) fits in any of them, just let me know. I know how much a pain it can be to guess on pouches, and few local stores carry a good selection of these for test fitting. Hope that helps.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Old 05-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #20
UsernameMDM
x39

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, Y'all.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Tail...tag=files05-20

If you need to know whether some certain common item(s) fits in any of them, just let me know. I know how much a pain it can be to guess on pouches, and few local stores carry a good selection of these for test fitting. Hope that helps.
We have very similar setups. I may have to snag that compass pouch 2-pack. Does it fit an Altoids tin?

EDIT - just checked TT's site: says fits a 20rd AR mag, so should fit an Altoids tin. Thanks for the Amazon link!

Last edited by UsernameMDM; 05-25-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
Spook76

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
We have very similar setups. I may have to snag that compass pouch 2-pack. Does it fit an Altoids tin?

EDIT - just checked TT's site: says fits a 20rd AR mag, so should fit an Altoids tin. Thanks for the Amazon link!
No problem. I just double checked an Altoid tin and 20rd Lancer AWM for fit...Both fit in the pocket like the pouch was made for them (mag a bit more snug, but not overly tight), and flap can be adjusted to close over either with buckle adjustment strap either all the way cinched down or let out all the way, respectively.

For anyone else needing a data point:
A pack of Marlboro 100s fits in the pocket just loosely enough side to side that a Bic lighter or anything same size can *just* fit beside it (lid adjusts down tightly enough for good coverage height-wise), and an Altoid tin sitting atop a small 2 5/8"x7/8" pill tube (like Tylenol/Advil come in--maybe for a few balls of cotton soaked in Vaseline, if not the meds) can fit with flap adjusted to expose just a little of the tin top. A Snickers+granola bar fits, too, for pogie bait users. A Yaesu VX-6r fits snugly, but not crazy tight (flap squished a bit to one side to allow for antenna, but snaps fine/covers well).

Hard to explain, but hopefully that all makes sense. I realize that's more than many care about, but it's for the people concerned about having to order something just to find out pouch size in real life vs simple listed dimensions.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
UsernameMDM
x39

Here's my setup:

HSGI Slim Grip
Condor Tactical Belt
ITW Nexus Carabiner
VISM TQ Pouch w/NAR TQ & Shears
HSGI Pistol Taco
HSGI Rifle Taco
Condor Micro Dump Pouch
Condor Tear-away First Response Pouch
Gerber Strongarm
G-Code XST on G-Code Duty Mount
Condor Double Pistol Pouch (Flash Light & Multi-tool)

Just scored a 2 pack of that TT compass pouch and now considering something for water.

Last edited by UsernameMDM; 05-25-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #23
sdw2008
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171683

Nice KISS set ups, guys.

I am still rocking the old school LBE. Gotta have water and minimal survivability essentials....and LOTS of loaded mags
sdw2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #24
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

I want to like them really bad, even own one, but my 'go-to' gtfo of here setup is of a completely different philosophy.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #25
Big_Red_Rocket

AKaholic #: 173624

AK Bayonet Molle Attachement

https://www.strikehardgear.com/produ...urrent_image=0

Big_Red_Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #26
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Rocket View Post

I can find that picture link, but I can't find anywhere to buy that.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:18 AM   #27
Spook76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I mentioned it earlier, but...Wouldn't the USGI basic type adapter work (even if not as stable/depending on knife/bayonet type)? https://www.gijoesmilitarysurplus.co...ducts_id=17588
https://www.keepshooting.com/usgi-mo...r-adapter.html
(Sold elsewhere/all over the place for cheap.)

For closer to what Big_Red_Rocket posted:

https://www.circle10ak.com/product/m...frog-od-green/
(Shows 1 still in stock as I type this...)

This might also help/offer other leads:
http://akbayonets.info/viewtopic.php?t=210

Last edited by Spook76; 05-26-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #28
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
I mentioned it earlier, but...Wouldn't the USGI basic type adapter work (even if not as stable/depending on knife/bayonet type)? https://www.gijoesmilitarysurplus.co...ducts_id=17588
https://www.keepshooting.com/usgi-mo...r-adapter.html
(Sold elsewhere/all over the place for cheap.)

For closer to what Big_Red_Rocket posted:

https://www.circle10ak.com/product/m...frog-od-green/
(Shows 1 still in stock as I type this...)

This might also help/offer other leads:
http://akbayonets.info/viewtopic.php?t=210
I actually have the circle 10 one on the way to me right now, but the strike hard looks more secure in pictures at least
Old 05-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #29
Spook76

I see what you mean about ours being similar...Good grab on the 2 pack of the pouches. For water, if you want at least some on the belt (with more on a sling or your pack), the best middle ground I've yet found is either a basic 1qt canteen (takes up more room, but holds more/good balance) or the 16 ounce wide mount Nalgene with TT pouch I use. I used to carry a 32oz Nalgene in a different TT pouch, but it was just too bulky for getting in and out of vehicles and such.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboss4198 View Post

Get a GCode RTI mount so you can swap your holsters around on the fly.

To answer your original question, I personally use an HSGI suregrip belt with some random pistol belt made of scuba webbing that has velcro on one side. It has a cobra buckle which I prefer to the plastic style.
If you use the hsgi, it has a plastic stiffener (removable if you really want to) so it doesnt bunch up or twist. You can use a way crappier belt than I did because of this, and you really dont "need" the velcro either. I just used it because I got a deal on it second hand and it had the cobra buckle which is what I wanted.

As far as IFAKs go, I personally recommend a horizontally mounted on across the lumbar region. The SO Tech Viper and SOE equivalent allow you to get it ambidextrously, and it also makes leaning against stuff when sitting down more comfortable.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #31
nadnklipsch

AKaholic #: 191494

Good thread! I'm in the process of deciding if I want to build a battle belt, or just set up a duty belt for rifle and pistol purposes. One thing that I've learned is that battle belts with a butt pouch or similar pouch at your 6 are great for when you are sitting in a vehicle for a long time while wearing a plate carrier, lumbar support is a big thing if you're stuck being stagnant. I wear a duty belt every day for work and I definitely prefer them in the hot weather. When I was wearing a battle belt overseas I still ran a chest rig for all of my mags and ammo; but I would imagine that if you're putting mags on it belt keepers would be a must. If you're going with a duty belt I'd like to reiterate BELT KEEPERS, BELT KEEPERS, BELT KEEPERS. Watch someone draw a pistol from a tight holster with no belt keepers and it is not just cringe worthy but potentially very dangerous; not too mention it's a hell of a lot easier to run when you don't have your belt sliding up to your belly button or falling off your ass.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #32
Big_Red_Rocket

AKaholic #: 173624

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I remember that from http://www.strikehardgear.com/. I've bought other products in the past.

Try emailing and asking if he would make a new one for you.
Big_Red_Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #33
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Quote:
I see what you mean about ours being similar...Good grab on the 2 pack of the pouches. For water, if you want at least some on the belt (with more on a sling or your pack), the best middle ground I've yet found is either a basic 1qt canteen (takes up more room, but holds more/good balance) or the 16 ounce wide mount Nalgene with TT pouch I use. I used to carry a 32oz Nalgene in a different TT pouch, but it was just too bulky for getting in and out of vehicles and such.
I carry a Sawyer water bottle on my rig, it doesn't take up any more room than a canteen really, and does double duty as an instant filtration system, back-flushable and supposedly good for a million gallons.
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #34
otacon237

AKaholic #: 196460

Hsgi usually makes good stuff, I run a minimal setup with just their belt, I loop it through my belt loops of my regular shorts and then attach the mags, I have 2 hsgi double pistol pouches, one rifle/pistol mag pouch and a surefire masterfire holster to hold my VP, I've done 2 2-gun matches this way and haven't lost my pants or anything so you can definitely do a minimal setup as well, maybe add some suspenders if you are paranoid. Eventually I will upgrade to a true battle belt setup, probably will be something with armor built in like the Crye battle belt. Might as well go big.
otacon237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 PM   #35
Spook76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragynn View Post
I carry a Sawyer water bottle on my rig, it doesn't take up any more room than a canteen really, and does double duty as an instant filtration system, back-flushable and supposedly good for a million gallons.
I've not done that one, but is another good idea. I carry a Lifestraw, some iodine tablets and a steel cup (for emergency boiling) with that Nalgene for same basic idea. I have a bigger filter on my ruck for longer duration concerns.