Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #176
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post
Tough call. Both are solid “investments”, but you’ll shoot a C93 more. You could always call the gun shop I got mine from and see how much it’ll be to ship out the other new one they have (should come out to around $800 shipped)
Actually have a line on another possible candidate; nearly the same price (unless I can pressure him down some), but without the 3 extra mags and the kickass, $400 stock How it goes, I guess.

The SVT is about what you paid, without the kickass tin of ammo! I might be able to work on that price a tad, too - he's the same guy I got FN49 #2 from, so I've dealt with him before. Would be nice to get both, but damn, money is tight. Do need to thin out what I have, and I've wanted an SVT-40 for many moons.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #177
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 180809

Quote:
Originally Posted by cztulsa View Post
Actually have a line on another possible candidate; nearly the same price (unless I can pressure him down some), but without the 3 extra mags and the kickass, $400 stock How it goes, I guess.

The SVT is about what you paid, without the kickass tin of ammo! I might be able to work on that price a tad, too - he's the same guy I got FN49 #2 from, so I've dealt with him before. Would be nice to get both, but damn, money is tight. Do need to thin out what I have, and I've wanted an SVT-40 for many moons.
There are more C93ís out there in the current market than SVT-40ís.....
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #178
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

Quote:
There are more C93ís out there in the current market than SVT-40ís.....
Very much so. And this latest C93 deal doesnít look promising, either. Guess Iíll look into the SVT a little further, and postpone the C93 activity.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #179
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

Ok, I just checked my bolt gap. Using a feeler gauge I can comfortably fit a .005" gauge in the gap. .006 is a no go. I read that the bare minimum is .004 so I am just within specs. Should I take the time and install some new rollers? This gap will close with use so I suspect the rifle will be reliable now, with decreasing reliability as the gap closes?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #180
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
Ok, I just checked my bolt gap. Using a feeler gauge I can comfortably fit a .005" gauge in the gap. .006 is a no go. I read that the bare minimum is .004 so I am just within specs. Should I take the time and install some new rollers? This gap will close with use so I suspect the rifle will be reliable now, with decreasing reliability as the gap closes?
Shoot it and go from there. Could always get some +4 rollers to keep on hand
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #181
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

From my experience (with G3 clones, anyway) +4 rollers should open it up close to .008". YMMV. I've had some +4s get me closer to an extra .006". Not sure if those loose rules apply to the 5.56 rifles.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #182
Archetype

AKaholic #: 87807

What are the symptoms of a closing bolt gap? What types of malfunctions would one expect to see?
Archetype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #183
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

After a thorough cleaning of the rifle including scrubbing the bolt face, breech and flutes with CLP my bolt gap opened up an additional .001 to .007". I am going to buy a set of +4 rollers and just keep them on hand. I'm not worried about function now as I got two newer looking 40 round magazines with it. I plan to buy either 3 additional 40 rounders or 4 30 round metal magazines. I even think Promags will get the job done at the range.

This rifle is "new" but was dirty as hell. It is cleaned, lubricated and covered in a fine layer of silicone. She looks really, really good. This rifle compares very favorably with my old MP-5 from H&K. The finish is not as good on the Century but the welds are cleaner. If this rifle is reliable, I'd have to say quality wise, it is as good as HK. Value wise? Much better. I am taking it to the family farm this weekend for a shakedown. The cheapest ammo I have is Wolf Gold.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #184
FWP9mm

AKaholic #: 175413

HK93 rifles are nice classic battle rifles. The C93’s are solid if you get a good one, however some require a little work out of the box. I have also heard mixed reviews about Vector. I personally have had two early ATI import AT-43 rifles that were made on HK machinery (one is up for sale in the market place).

HK mags are your best and most expensive bet, followed by MKE polymer and the. Pro-Mag which a work well from what has been reported by multiple sources.

Congrats on the rifles, the HK platform is addicting!
FWP9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #185
Zmac

AKaholic #: 162918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
What are the symptoms of a closing bolt gap? What types of malfunctions would one expect to see?
Increased recoil and wear. The rollers arenít locking up properly anymore so it turns it into a direct blowback system. May see damage on the barrel from the bolt head hitting it. But in theory the gun should still run, I think in full auto though youíd get some nasty bolt bounce without your rollers locking.
Zmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #186
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:
After a thorough cleaning of the rifle including scrubbing the bolt face, breech and flutes with CLP my bolt gap opened up an additional .001 to .007". I am going to buy a set of +4 rollers and just keep them on hand. I'm not worried about function now as I got two newer looking 40 round magazines with it. I plan to buy either 3 additional 40 rounders or 4 30 round metal magazines. I even think Promags will get the job done at the range.

This rifle is "new" but was dirty as hell. It is cleaned, lubricated and covered in a fine layer of silicone. She looks really, really good. This rifle compares very favorably with my old MP-5 from H&K. The finish is not as good on the Century but the welds are cleaner. If this rifle is reliable, I'd have to say quality wise, it is as good as HK. Value wise? Much better. I am taking it to the family farm this weekend for a shakedown. The cheapest ammo I have is Wolf Gold.
Be prepared to have a shit eating grin on your face
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #187
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Be prepared to have a shit eating grin on your face
Can't wait! Lol
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #188
Zmac

Quote:
Can't wait! Lol
Youíll be pleasantly surprised. Iíve been meaning to pick up another one
Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #189
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

So I have this wonderful rifle with the barely in-spec bolt gap. Now I want to replace this el-cheapo but functional lower with the contoured grip model from RTG Parts. The one I am looking at is made for a select fire weapon. The ad says something like I have to apply with all NFA rules blah,blah. Just the housing is $44.00. Can I just drop in my trigger group in or do I need to modify it to fit. It comes with a replacement safety lever.They have the same one pinned and shelved or something for $88.00.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #190
sandman2

AKaholic #: 174513

Quote:
So I have this wonderful rifle with the barely in-spec bolt gap. Now I want to replace this el-cheapo but functional lower with the contoured grip model from RTG Parts. The one I am looking at is made for a select fire weapon. The ad says something like I have to apply with all NFA rules blah,blah. Just the housing is $44.00. Can I just drop in my trigger group in or do I need to modify it to fit. It comes with a replacement safety lever.They have the same one pinned and shelved or something for $88.00.
You need the one thatís clipped & pinned, post#79, itís the one for $88.

But honestly if youíre gonna spend $88 bucks Iíd give the metal lower a look see. If you go the metal lower you will need a selector to go with it.
sandman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #191
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

Great, Thank you. I'll check the metal ones out too.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #192
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

^^

Are you testing it out today?
Old 07-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #193
Zmac

Quote:
Great, Thank you. I'll check the metal ones out too.
I just ordered one of these that im going to try and modify myself.

https://www.keepshooting.com/hk-g3-s...e-f-lower.html

I'll post some pics of the condition when it arrives next week
Old 07-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #194
Glashaus
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

The semi auto trigger pack will find right into the new lowers. For the PTR, Century, HK and other HK style rifles with the semi shelf and no front pin, you will need a clipped and pinned lower, unless you have the tools and are really handy, it is a lot easier just to buy one from RTG or HK parts. The MKE semi autos with the front pin can use un modified lowers
Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #195
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

Quote:
^^

Are you testing it out today?
Just got back from the farm.I put 80 rounds through it and it ran flawlessly. Like a sewing machine in fact. This rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot. It was hot as hell today and very humid but after I got all of the mowing done I was able to get down to business. Blasted the crap out of an old well pressure tank at about 100 yards and There was an old bed frame with some chrome post knobs that are no more. Where has this rifle been all my life? Why weren't we using these in our patrol cars??? This should be on the approved list for patrol rifles.

I also grabbed it after a few minutes by the muzzle thinking it had cooled off after a mag dump. Nope.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #196
sandman2

AKaholic #: 174513

Quote:
Just got back from the farm.I put 80 rounds through it and it ran flawlessly. Like a sewing machine in fact. This rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot. It was hot as hell today and very humid but after I got all of the mowing done I was able to get down to business. Blasted the crap out of an old well pressure tank at about 100 yards and There was an old bed frame with some chrome post knobs that are no more. Where has this rifle been all my life? Why weren't we using these in our patrol cars??? This should be on the approved list for patrol rifles.

I also grabbed it after a few minutes by the muzzle thinking it had cooled off after a mag dump. Nope.
The 93ís are worth taking the century gamble, glade to hear itís a shooter.
sandman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #197
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Told ya
Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #198
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

I have always shot AR platform .223/5.56 rifles. Fun to shoot was never really part of the equation. Maybe I just grew tired of them I don't know. My AR carbines are reliable, effective and easy to maintain. They are adaptable and easy to modify. They are not fun. Qualifying every year, going through the Patrol carbine class and drills were too much like work. I did shoot a brother's SBR AR and that was actually pretty fun. Century just hit this one out of the park. They seem to be one of very few companies keeping these old designs alive at a working man's budget.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #199
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2 View Post
The 93ís are worth taking the century gamble, glade to hear itís a shooter.
You bet it's worth the gamble. Even if it has problems it has great bones.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #200
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

Y'all are killing me.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #201
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cztulsa View Post
Y'all are killing me.

And to think, I still have to pick up my second one next week (new)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #202
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:
You bet it's worth the gamble. Even if it has problems it has great bones.
Well, letís see some pics!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:45 AM   #203
Laufer
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188070

Other than having the aperture sight, compare it with shooting a .223 Saiga or typical 7.62x39 AK.

The gun is so different that the unique west Euro military style gives it much of the appeal? Maybe I should have looked for one at the Wanenmacher's Show in Tulsa last fall.
Laufer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #204
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre5G View Post
They are renaming them to the Z-33. I want the Z-33K (12.5 inch pistol version).

Next rifle I want is the Z-33k and the Ray Banís and mustached Sig P226/229 in 40.

I think the Zeniths are the best things we have in the US right now.

Zenith is importing their G-3 called the Z-3 soon.

What do you think about that short ass 5.56 HK53? Is it too short to be good? I heard it was the shortest 556 in real paramilitary useage....Didnít Vector make those too?
Nice, man I really want a hk53 bad. I think vector did make some, but Iíd really need to have a mil import pistol one thatíd be badass. I wanna get their G3 when they bring it in, and a Greek preban too.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #205
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
I have a Zenith MKE Z43P that I bought new last year about a month after buying my Z5RS.

I am very happy with it.

Nice looks good.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #206
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Other than having the aperture sight, compare it with shooting a .223 Saiga or typical 7.62x39 AK.

The gun is so different that the unique west Euro military style gives it much of the appeal? Maybe I should have looked for one at the Wanenmacher's Show in Tulsa last fall.
Wasn't paying attention to any .223 versions at the last few Wanenmacher's; I typically only look out for the 7.62 variety. Now I feel like I need one in 5.56, too. If I don't have one by the November W. show, I'll be looking. Only thing: checking the bolt gap. Not sure how those around in a super-crowded show will feel about the noise from letting that bolt slam home. Might piss off the neighbors.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #207
Glashaus
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Nice, man I really want a hk53 bad. I think vector did make some, but Iíd really need to have a mil import pistol one thatíd be badass. I wanna get their G3 when they bring it in, and a Greek preban too.
My C93 pistol with a brace is my poor manís HK53

Old 07-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #208
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Well, letís see some pics!
I had photosuckit now I am trying to figure out Imgur
Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #209
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Got rifle #2 Home (darker one). Swapped trigger housing because I’ll likely use this one more (like the darker color. Bolt gap is .018 and it has a silky smooth action. I love these damn rifles

Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 AM   #210
mojo00
AK SNOB

AKaholic #: 9021

Quote:
Got rifle #2 Home (darker one). Swapped trigger housing because Iíll likely use this one more (like the darker color. Bolt gap is .018 and it has a silky smooth action. I love these damn rifles

Yeah, they multiply.

I have three, I don't remember how/when I got the third
libertarians can suck my sweaty balls
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote