Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
PistolPete
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 157758
Default Got a Canik TP9SFX in FDE

I've been eyeballing Caniks for a long time and finally bit off on a TP9SFX in FDE. We made a video of our first time out with it and were pretty happy with it.

I'm going to try running an optic on it and see how I like it.

Now I'm seriously considering grabbing a TP9SF and/or TP9SF Elite to add to the collection.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

AKaholic #: 177161

I'm not even in the market for a pistol, but I really like these. They feel really good in hand, have great reviews, and are pretty cheap. I might end up having to get one one day.
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
lastlaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
uofaengr

AKaholic #: 185992

Nice pistol. The only thing I dislike about the Caniks is the higher bore axis, but they are great shooters. They're perfect truck guns IMO.
uofaengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
PistolPete
Veteran Member

I've been a big PPQ guy for a while (and still love em) so since the Caniks are based on the Walthers I've been interested for a while. Watched tons of reviews and handled a dozen or so Caniks but never had enough motivation to pull the trigger.

The TP9SF was the first one that really got me thinking of buying one. Then they followed up with the Elite & SFX which I liked a lot too. The FDE SFX hit me just right lol.

Not getting rid of my Walthers but considering adding another Canik as a truck/desert carry pistol.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Hope you like kebab.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Flashy
(Y) u bitchin (386)Chinese mafia

AKaholic #: 168764
Location: Pennsyltucky PA somewhere between communist CA and NY

Just picked up a tp9sfx yesterday but havenít took it out yet but in the gray

Lover of big pics
Flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

AKaholic #: 177161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
Just picked up a tp9sfx yesterday but havenít took it out yet but in the gray
Let us know how she shoots. I may have to pick one up soon if they are as good as the other models.
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
lastlaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:53 AM   #8
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

Canik makes some interesting clones of both the CZ 75 and Walther guns. the TP9sf has been interesting me for a while though.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 AM   #9
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

How easy is it to find replacement parts, e.i., springs, firing pins, etc on these pistols? How much to mags run?
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
Flashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlaugh View Post
Let us know how she shoots. I may have to pick one up soon if they are as good as the other models.
I will but everyday itís been raining here, it listed for $675 but I used my cabelas points and paid $400 with the vortex dot sight. Today I cut down a few black walnut trees for a friends new pool, a buyer came by trying to buy the big logs if I sell them itís a free gun then for me.

Lover of big pics
Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
ffjoey

AKaholic #: 111272

The fact that you lose the rear sight of you want to run a red dot is a bummer but very undervalued pistol for sure
ffjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #12
PistolPete
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjoey View Post
The fact that you lose the rear sight of you want to run a red dot is a bummer but very undervalued pistol for sure
Yeah that's kind of a bummer but then again I bought the gun to run an optic so why not just run an optic. If I don't like running an optic on a pistol I'll just swap back to the (excellent) factory sights.

In terms of "well if your red dot breaks or the battery wears out": it's not a "go to war" rig, it's a competition style gun. Buying a quality optic that has a battery servicable from the top is probably the move, and bringing along the case with the tool to swap back to the factory sight is also an option.

BTW I picked my optic for the TP9SFX. Went with a Vortex Venom mainly because of cost (cheaper than the Holosun or Trijicon) but still a good brand that stands behind their product. Liked the features of the Venom much more than the Viper.

I'll get er out ASAP and beat the crap out if to see how it goes. As long as I have the time I'll shoot some video of the combo in action and post it up.

Last edited by PistolPete; 05-23-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
PistolPete
Veteran Member

Almost forgot to mention, the fact that the holster fits the gun with an optic is a nice touch:

Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #14
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

AKaholic #: 186633

So far I like it a lot. I got the one bundled with the Viper rmr.

And the Inforce APL seemed like the obvious choice for a light. And a Black Rhino Concealment holster made to order.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
PistolPete
Veteran Member

Had my TP9SFX out over the weekend and was just smashing with it.

I'm getting more used to running the pistol optic setup every time I take it out.

It's actually got me thinking about switching from my PPS to one of the new Walther PPS M2's with the RMSC optic mounted from the factory as a carry pistol.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #16
TigerNation
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 168430

Sexy pistol. Definite full body boner. Let us know how she shoots.
TigerNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

I have a new Elite. it's nice. do it.

I looked at a 3 new pistols from a manufacturer in gainseville GA today along with the lineup of caniks.

I forget the name right now but just as cheap, great grip.. the LGS had three different models. Ya'll will see them pop up on the Files here soon I'm sure.

b
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Awesome vid PP. thx for posting it up.

For you or anyone else who owns own as there are a few here at least

Is there any way to get a co-witness w the stock iron sights and an RMR or even aftermarket sights and maybe a shield reflex sight?

This pistol seems like a great value and I want another dot ready pistol, but it looks like you have to take off the iron sight to mount the dot. So you end up having to choose? Is that right? If so anyone know if any workarounds are out yet?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #19
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

For an easy and cheap "trigger job", install a lighter safety block plunger spring.

The striker block safety still works with the lighter spring but it just doesn't take a full pound of gritty trigger pull to activate it. It makes a dramatic improvement in the feel of the trigger and lightens it about a pound. That said, this mod is intended for competition/range toys. Not recommended for carry guns.

The part number I used is Wolff 33226 RP Safety Block Plunger Spring. It seems to work exactly like the one in the video.

Instructions for installing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8PCwOJdTOM

Last edited by Cole Dedhand; 06-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Cole Dedhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
Flashy

My tp9sfx doesnít like cheap perfecta ammo, been shooting cheap Remington 115 grain without a hitch. Shot a little over 300 rounds now and all other ammo other than perfect has done the job, even some 10 yr old mag tech reload lead ball crap cycled, fte constantly though with the Walmart perfecta

Lover of big pics
Old 07-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #21
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

Now that I've had the SFx to the range I can report 220 rounds of mixed 115 and 124 ammo fired with only a single failure to go into battery.

This failure is the result of me putting a 13lb recoil spring in it, based on reports that the SFx is not reliable with some weaker 9mm. There were no issues at all with the stock recoil spring with the different loads I tried (3 different 115gr loads, 2 124gr loads). The 13lb was suggested by members of a different forum but it is borderline too weak. I have ordered a 15lb spring which should not have that problem.

If using a lighter recoil spring in the SFx, a lighter striker spring is a MUST. The stock striker spring is very strong and a lighter recoil spring is not going to close the slide reliably.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #22
RKHarm24
Retired and Highly Recommended
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 182838

Corinne Mosker is a Canik Sponsored 3 Gun Top Gal

Century Arms/Canik USA

http://www.corinnemosher.com/

- / = / -= / == / -==
RKHarm24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #23
PistolPete
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Dedhand View Post
Now that I've had the SFx to the range I can report 220 rounds of mixed 115 and 124 ammo fired with only a single failure to go into battery.

This failure is the result of me putting a 13lb recoil spring in it, based on reports that the SFx is not reliable with some weaker 9mm. There were no issues at all with the stock recoil spring with the different loads I tried (3 different 115gr loads, 2 124gr loads). The 13lb was suggested by members of a different forum but it is borderline too weak. I have ordered a 15lb spring which should not have that problem.

If using a lighter recoil spring in the SFx, a lighter striker spring is a MUST. The stock striker spring is very strong and a lighter recoil spring is not going to close the slide reliably.
I haven't messed with the springs in my SFX at all and it's been 99.9% reliable with the 800-900rds of mixed ammo I've put through it do far.

The only failure I've had was a short stroke shown in the video, which I'm pretty sure was caused by the brick/paver falling on the gun deforming a small section of the polymer frame enough to where it dragged on the slide. Cleaned up the deformation with a razor blade and it's been 100% since.

My TP9SFX with the Venom has become my facvorite pistol to shoot. I think that's saying something coming from a hardcore Walther guy.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #24
skillet24

AKaholic #: 191989

I've got a Tp9sf that I love. They handle great and the trigger is phenomenal. I wish the bore axis was lower but overall I cant complain, especially at their price.
skillet24 is online now   Reply With Quote