Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Funkerman

AKaholic #: 175301
Default Roza Vetrov SS & titanium mess kits?

In my almost quixotic quest for steel mess kits I found a Russian company that I wanted y'alls opinion on. I have never heard of them before but if they ship to the US, I may have, at long last, found a decent nesting steel camping/mess kit. What say you folks: safe to order from them? Avoid them?

Link to page I found: https://www.roza-vetrov-eng.com/cata...cnic/#catTitle
Funkerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Kinda pricey, ain't they?
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
Kinda pricey, ain't they?
You're not wrong.. but steel or titanium mess kits that resemble the "German standard" are hell to find and even then these only kinda resemble them. I tried looking for the steel Swedish mess kits and they are either stupid rare rare or too expensive.
At least the titanium ones promise to be lighter and I've grown very fond of kits that I can hang over a fire. Like I said, this is a somewhat quixotic quest of mine. I loathe aluminum cookware, so I have to hunt for alternatives.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
vwvectors
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 183221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkerman View Post
You're not wrong.. but steel or titanium mess kits that resemble the "German standard" are hell to find and even then these only kinda resemble them. I tried looking for the steel Swedish mess kits and they are either stupid rare rare or too expensive.
At least the titanium ones promise to be lighter and I've grown very fond of kits that I can hang over a fire. Like I said, this is a somewhat quixotic quest of mine. I loathe aluminum cookware, so I have to hunt for alternatives.
Why donít you like aluminum cookware ?
vwvectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvectors View Post
Why don’t you like aluminum cookware ?
More than a few reasons but I'll try not to nerd out too much:

Aluminum tends to leach into food, with acidic foods leaching aluminum the most. I happen to like tomatoes and other acidic foods. While I won't be eating out of aluminum for years on end I'd rather avoid it. When larger amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer patients, I get the idea that aluminum is something I'd rather not have in my food. I don't buy or use aluminum cookware if I can avoid it.

EDIT: it is still being debated ,though, IF using aluminum cookware is the cause of the AL buildup or if the aluminum in the brain tissue is from a faulty metabolic/etc body system and the cookware has no effect. SUffice it to say the rest below still applies.

Aluminum cookware, Hard anodized or not, doesn't hold up to wear, tear and abuse as well as stainless steel does. Either camping or SHTF, I trust steel to hold its own. Its true it doesn't spread heat as well as aluminum and steel is heavier than titanium but is a good compromise on weight, durability and cost.

If money where no issue, titanium's only downside is that it can easily have hot spots. Of the three metals titanium is the lightest and the least reactive.it lasts and lasts and campfires don't hurt it a bit. But its expensive and I am not rich.
As for the shape& form: I love the German m31 mess kit. The east German version I have is great for everything except that its aluminum and has stained with cooking use . This means it is leaching into my food. If the Germans made a steel version of the M31 mess kit I'd buy it and be done. But no M31 mess kits where ever made in steel and even if a few where, they are too rare to be worth mentioning. The closest thing to a steel M31 mess kit was the Swedish Trangia mess kits and they are very rare these days. Those Swedish kits lack the inner little pot the German kits had.The trangia burners are loved but.. its not the same. So far, China has never made any steel M31's either.

So after all that I keep looking and hoping. I found the store in the first post and wanted to see if anyone else had found the kits worthwhile.

EDIT: I at no time claim to be an expert but I have tried my best to explain my reasoning. If I am wrong, then I am wrong but this is as best as I have it now.

Last edited by Funkerman; 07-12-2018 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Added important details.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkerman View Post
More than a few reasons but I'll try not to nerd out too much:

Aluminum tends to leach into food, with acidic foods leaching aluminum the most. I happen to like tomatoes and other acidic foods. While I won't be eating out of aluminum for years on end I'd rather avoid it. When larger amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer patients , I'd rather not have any in my food.

Aluminum cookware, Hard anodized or not, doesn't hold up to wear, tear and abuse as well as stainless steel does. Either camping or SHTF, I trust steel to hold its own. Its true it doesn't spread heat as well as aluminum and steel is heavier than titanium but is a good compromise.
If money where no issue, titanium's only downside is that it can easily have hot spots. Of the three metals titanium is the lightest and the least reactive.it lasts and lasts and campfires don't hurt it a bit. But its expensive and I am not rich. As for the shape& form: I love the German m31 mess kit. The east german version I have is great for everything expect that the aluminum they used stains. this means it is leaching into my food. If the Germans made a steel version of the M31 mess kit I'd buy it and be done. But no M31 mess kits where ever made in steel (even if a few where, they are too rare to be worth mentioning). The closest thing to a steel M31 mess kit was the Swedish Trangia mess kits and they are very rare these days. Those swedish kits lack the inner little pot the German kits had. So far, China has never made any steel M31's either.

So after all that I keep looking and hoping. I found the store in the first post and wanted to see if anyone else had found the kits worthwhile.
You did.......

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is online now   Reply With Quote