Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Sweedgar

AKaholic #: 184675
Default Colt 6920? Daniel Defense.

I want to put a Daniel Defense MFR XS 13.5 Rail, on my Colt 6020 what I have. I have the DD Rail and what comes with it, plus Low Pro gas block DD .750 clamp. My question is can it be done and do i have the right parts? Thank you.
Sweedgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

AKaholic #: 165711

You should have all the parts needed with what you've listed, but you will need a new crush washer. As long as you can strip all the Colt parts off the barrel, this job can be done, but will be a little project.

The Colt barrel will need to be completely stripped, ( remove: FH, FSB, gas tube, forward handguard ring and entire delta ring assy and barrel nut - you should end up with just the barrel itself inserted into the upper, ) then you can install the DD barrel nut, MFR XS bolt up plate, collar and the DD gas block/gas tube.

( Before tightening down the DD low-pro gas block, do a test fit check with the gas block and make sure the rail will fit over it. ) The MFR XS rail should slide over the gas block and bolt onto the collar/bolt up plate. You will need some sort of rail alignment tool - this will help keep the DD rail aligned with the upper while tightening down the four rail screws. I simply use one of my ACOGs on it's stock mount. Then replace the crush washer and reinstall flash hider.

Last edited by ARMT Guy; 07-05-2017 at 05:12 PM.
ARMT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Guess I was wrong.

I didn't realize the Colt Delta ring could be removed and converted.

Crap.....I need to look at my Bushmaster too then....

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Guess I was wrong.

Yup.

Once the FSB's two taper pins are driven out and the FSB removed, ( along with all the other parts like gas tube, FH, handguard cap, etc, ) the delta ring assembly can be easily disassembled with a pair of slip ring pliers and then removed along with the Colt barrel nut.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Sweedgar

Thank you, ARMT Guy.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedgar View Post
Thank you, ARMT Guy.

No problem.

Good luck with that project.

*Edit to add*

I forgot to add a couple of pics of the 13.5 MFR XS I installed on my 6.8 build:

Last edited by ARMT Guy; 07-05-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
Sweedgar

Ok, had my LGSmith change out rails after getting it home I noticed that their was a gouge/cut in the barrel looks like someone took a grinder to it. I'm guessing that it was under the A2 front sight post. Anyone else have this under the A2 front sight post? I'll try to post a pic.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
NMGuy

AKaholic #: 182584

Quote:
Ok, had my LGSmith change out rails after getting it home I noticed that their was a gouge/cut in the barrel looks like someone took a grinder to it. I'm guessing that it was under the A2 front sight post. Anyone else have this under the A2 front sight post? I'll try to post a pic.
I'm about 99 percent sure you are referring to the slot that the taper pin was in. It's one of the pins that holds the original front sight post/gas block in. There should be two of them but I'm sure that the other is under your Low Profile block.

Just part of it. If you ever decide to rebarrel, you can get a Ballistic advantage Barrel, which is similar quality to Colt, and they will pin on a Low Profile gas block for you factory instead of the front sight. Be a drop in replacement almost and it looks great because they use a really dark Nitride treatment.

Congrats on the rail. I'd like to see some photos! I did a pair of colts for a friend and his dad not long ago. They're not really that hard to take apart and install a free float on

Would have been happy to help if you were local to me. I've got all the tools for it
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Sweedgar

Thanks NMGuy, Yes! that's what it is. He only charged me $95 included new gas tube. I'm happy with it. Mine looks a lot like ARMT Guys. WO optics.
Thank you NMGuy and ARMT Guy.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
NMGuy

I've got a Geissele SMR on my 6.8 build. I like it a lot, but am also liking that Daniel Defense MLOK you guys have. I may very well go with another Geissele and then one of these on my 2 SBR's I'm waiting on. I'm doing a a 10.5" and a 12.5".
Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Sweedgar

I talked to my LGSmith today. He said that the gouge/cut is for the taper pins. Also the DD rail did NOT line up perfect on my Colt LE6920 it's a hair low and left. That's the difference between Colt and DD manufacturing nothing he could do about it. Trigger CMC TTG. I really like the rail, I'll just have to adjust my sights "more range time"
Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
NMGuy

Quote:
I talked to my LGSmith today. He said that the gouge/cut is for the taper pins. Also the DD rail did NOT line up perfect on my Colt LE6920 it's a hair low and left. That's the difference between Colt and DD manufacturing nothing he could do about it. Trigger CMC TTG. I really like the rail, I'll just have to adjust my sights "more range time"
I've not met a single rail system that couldn't be indexed 100% inline with the upper.

Not trying to insult your gunsmith but the Daniel Defense rail may be a little outside his realm. I've installed two DDM4 (lite rails) rails without issue and both lined up with the upper. Same install as the rail you have.

I've seen lots of "smiths" that can do some great work but they have their niche area they can work well in. Once you get out of that area they can still help you but their work is not as good.

I'd honestly take it to a 2nd armoror or gunsmith to be assessed. Unaligned rails bug the snot out of me. If it doesn't bug you then leave it.

I've seen a lot of messed up stuff from "smiths" that lots of people regarded highly. I've fixed about 8 rifles from a local smith. Everything from missing anti rotation tabs on BCM KMR's to castle nuts on backwards and missing detente/springs. A bunch of basic stuff any novice smith should be able to figure out...
Old 08-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
fly
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 157672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Guess I was wrong.

IF the BN is not super tight . The more their fired , the less of a chance in getting the BN off ...
I've had a few i couldn't bake loose , so i could part them out .
================================
=================================

((DB)) #1 SnatchWrecher /'' If it's NOT a Colt it's a Copy ''
fly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
Sweedgar

That's good to know I will take it to another smith. Does any one know a quality Smith on the Treasure Coast FL? Thanks NMGuy
Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Sweedgar

Is there anything I could do to adjust the rail? The hard part is done I have a lot of tools alien keys and others plus ability and a brain.

Last edited by Sweedgar; 08-09-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
NMGuy

Quote:
Is there anything I could do to adjust the rail? The hard part is done I have a lot of tools alien keys and others plus ability and a brain.
Pretty simple. There are a lot of videos out there on Daniel Defense rails. Essentially what you will want to do is loosen up the rail from its "bolt up" interface or whatever they named it. Then take a one price optics mount like an SPR mount or whatever you can find. Use it to clamp the rail and upper receiver together. This will align you relatively well, then put all your bolts back in and remove the optic mount when you're done.

Here is a video of a guy removing and putting on a lite rail or RIS. Not the greatest video but it gives the idea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uunQxU4e6EY

You can look for a better video if you want lol.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #17
Sweedgar

Lol, I've seen half of this video before. Got board with this guy the first time. I'll ff >>. Lol Thank you.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

Unfortunately, no one has a you tube video out yet for installing a DD MFR XS, ( the older, previous model V7s from years past had an MFR rail, but it's a circular rail without the M-LOK slots. )

Installing the current MFR XS rail is fairly straight forward, but they simply can't be quickly slapped on expected to be perfectly alighned.

Hopefully one of your local gunsmiths can get it all dialed in for you. ( At the rate they're charging, I would certainly hope so. )
Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
Sweedgar

I fixed it! Perfect. Now the rail is touching the DD low pro gas block? %$&# that gun smith.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #20
NMGuy

Quote:
I fixed it! Perfect. Now the rail is touching the DD low pro gas block? %$&# that gun smith.
He might have the gasblock slightly offset. Usually the hole in the block that corresponds to the barrel gas port is bigger than the port in the barrel. This allows for some play room on alignment. So even if your block is offset it could still be a reliable rifle. For the free float to work properly the block shouldn't be touching it though!

Your "gunsmith" may have been more of a rookie "armoror" instead. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm passionate and tedious. So when I do an AR15, especially for someone else, I make sure it's 100% right. Aligning a free float rail to an upper should be very basic work for anyone who's worked on an AR15 much at all. I've got a "tool" I use. It's a very long picatinny riser that I can crank down tight and it always aligns rails perfectly.

I'm glad you got that rail squared away to the upper, now just loosen that gas block under the rail and tweak it slightly to the direction it needs to go. If it doesn't bother you and the rifle runs right you can leave it though.

The AR15 rifle is perhaps the simplest piece of "machinery" I work on during a daily basis. Once you start actually taking them apart and putting them together you will understand...

Last edited by NMGuy; 08-10-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Sweedgar

Now that you mention, he was young looked like a rookie. What else is wrong? Should have just spent the $$$ on tools and did it my self. %$#@-+^%&$# aaaahhhh.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #22
NMGuy

Quote:
Now that you mention, he was young looked like a rookie. What else is wrong? Should have just spent the $$$ on tools and did it my self. %$#@-+^%&$# aaaahhhh.
Yeah, see a lot of that. Nothing wrong with being young, but a lot of them lie or exaggerate about their abilities.

I'm a younger guy, but I work for free for friends or for food. Bring me a burger and fries and I'll put your upper together for you. I also read instruction manuals and use the correct tools and parts... and it will take however long it takes to get it right. Admittedly I took almost 2 hours to put a Midwest Industries 2 piece free float rail on a Colt 6920. I didn't want to cut the delta ring and make a big mess so I did it the right way and pulled the FSP and barrel nut off. I had hell getting it to index in the proper torque spec but got it after thouroughly cleaning everything. Rifle looks great. It belongs to a good friend who is currently overseas on his way home. Will try and get a photo of it again when he is back.

My favorite rails to install are the MI gen 3's, Geissele SMR's, and BCM KMR rails. They're all dirt simple and easy no nonsense installs. I can get a Geissele on in under 10 minutes once the upper is disassembled. The BCM KMR is simple too, it's just a tighter fit on the barrel nut so you have to use a hair dryer to heat the back of the handguard up. Daniel Defense rails are generally stupid simple as well.