Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #281
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Looking to push 6-7 miles on the bike tonight.

4-5 is becoming easy.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #282
SAIGA 5.45
Ak files National Shoot Hooligan #1

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
Looking to push 6-7 miles on the bike tonight.

4-5 is becoming easy.
Go find some more inclines

That is what I am doing for my running.

Emotional confusion is like running backwards naked through a cornfield at night-Gary Busey

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #283
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183149

Do any of you guys use any forms of meditation in combination with exercise? For the last 3 months I've been trying an "out of the box" way of working around the physical obstacles my body has to lose weight and get in better shape.

When I started I couldn't touch my toes bending over, but now I can touch my head to my knee, go quarter lotus, wrap my hands around my feet, etc. I lost around 15 pounds over the course of the first 2 and a half weeks. Because of the neck, shoulder, injury bs I was told to not ever do push ups, and with this meditation thing I'm able to push 25 on 1 breath.

Because of this I'm incredibly more interested in trying any out of the box weigh to continue improving my health physically and hopefully not needing these expensive medications anymore.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #284
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalus View Post
Do any of you guys use any forms of meditation in combination with exercise? For the last 3 months I've been trying an "out of the box" way of working around the physical obstacles my body has to lose weight and get in better shape.

When I started I couldn't touch my toes bending over, but now I can touch my head to my knee, go quarter lotus, wrap my hands around my feet, etc. I lost around 15 pounds over the course of the first 2 and a half weeks. Because of the neck, shoulder, injury bs I was told to not ever do push ups, and with this meditation thing I'm able to push 25 on 1 breath.

Because of this I'm incredibly more interested in trying any out of the box weigh to continue improving my health physically and hopefully not needing these expensive medications anymore.
Eat whole foods and move around a lot. That is about it. This is the way to improving health. I don't meditate like a monk but my workouts are my getaway. Everyone needs a way to let go of their stress. Mine happens to be physical.
Stay away from sugar and fast food. These items are a major cause of health problems in the US.
I understand you have physical limitations but it sounds like you are figuring out a way to work around them. Seems like you already have it figured out.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #285
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
Eat whole foods and move around a lot. That is about it. This is the way to improving health. I don't meditate like a monk but my workouts are my getaway. Everyone needs a way to let go of their stress. Mine happens to be physical.
Stay away from sugar and fast food. These items are a major cause of health problems in the US.
I understand you have physical limitations but it sounds like you are figuring out a way to work around them. Seems like you already have it figured out.
This isn't a real "meditation", it's backed by science. So there isn't any myth to it like with Buddhism or Hindu/Yoga stuff. It reminds me of Tummo meditation but uses cold temperature to raise metabolic rate and unload epinephrine, dopamine, testosterone, etc. With stretching, and exercise without air in the lungs after cyclic controlled hyperventilation, instead of mantra's and all the other religious/spiritual stuff thrown in.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

"Voluntary activation of the sympathetic nervous system and attenuation of the innate immune response in humans."

Quote:
...both the autonomic nervous system and innate immune system were regarded as systems that cannot be voluntarily influenced. The present study demonstrates that, through practicing techniques learned in a short-term training program, the sympathetic nervous system and immune system can indeed be voluntarily influenced. Healthy volunteers practicing the learned techniques exhibited profound increases in the release of epinephrine, which in turn led to increased production of anti-inflammatory mediators and subsequent dampening of the proinflammatory cytokine response elicited by intravenous administration of bacterial endotoxin. This study could have important implications for the treatment of a variety of conditions associated with excessive or persistent inflammation, especially autoimmune diseases...
Where I've seen such a rapid improvement on my health and the ability to do more then I was before I'm a lot more open to different ways of going about it. I noticed that once I started the Wim Hof method my diet/cravings changed. I stopped losing blood through digestion which is really nice.

Last edited by crotalus; 06-16-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added quote from study
crotalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #286
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalus View Post
This isn't a real "meditation", it's backed by science. So there isn't any myth to it like with Buddhism or Hindu/Yoga stuff. It reminds me of Tummo meditation but uses cold temperature to raise metabolic rate and unload epinephrine, dopamine, testosterone, etc. With stretching, and exercise without air in the lungs after cyclic controlled hyperventilation, instead of mantra's and all the other religious/spiritual stuff thrown in.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

"Voluntary activation of the sympathetic nervous system and attenuation of the innate immune response in humans."

Where I've seen such a rapid improvement on my health and the ability to do more then I was before I'm a lot more open to different ways of going about it. I noticed that once I started the Wim Hof method my diet/cravings changed. I stopped losing blood through digestion which is really nice.

One thing I have really started doing for recovery is a 10-15 minute cold shower after workouts, really helps get that lactic acid out of the muscles and speed up recovery.

And as hot as it is I quite enjoy it now so if shtf I am good to go, who needs hot water anyway.

Emotional confusion is like running backwards naked through a cornfield at night-Gary Busey

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
Old 06-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #287
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
One thing I have really started doing for recovery is a 10-15 minute cold shower after workouts, really helps get that lactic acid out of the muscles and speed up recovery.

And as hot as it is I quite enjoy it now so if shtf I am good to go, who needs hot water anyway.
The "method" he uses takes you from slow cold showers, to ice baths because the cold increases the strength of the veins and creates stronger blood flow. The breathing thing is almost what you do naturally when you first enter very old water (inhaling in very hard and deeply and exhaling quickly). When I would get my infusions done I would always get these huge ginormous bruises so they were going to put in a port. Now that I do the cold showers, with the breathing technique and the stretching I don't get bruises anymore. The breathing is what increases the oxygen levels in the blood to 100% oxygen saturation.

I saw this and it is what made me want to try it. I want to be like this:

I don't mean to take the thread off topic, generally and genuinely interested in improving myself more.

Last edited by crotalus; 06-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.
crotalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #288
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

Isn't it just called cold shock muscle therapy?

I wouldn't mind doing that or the sauna but I aint got time for all that junk. Maybe if I sell a business to Amazon for a couple billion I could get around to it.
IrishCannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #289
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post

I wouldn't mind doing that or the sauna but I aint got time for all that junk. Maybe if I sell a business to Amazon for a couple billion I could get around to it.
The cold water causes your heart to immediately start pulling blood back in to heat it back up to proper temperature, when it does this it pulls all the lactic acid from your muscles with it.

Provided you are hydrating and stretching properly, if not then that ain't gonna help at all.

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #290
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post

No, the closest thing to it is Tummo meditation I think. The thing that those Tibetan monks do up in the Himalayas and melt the snow around them. It's got a lot of mysticism in it, and no one has time for it, not even me. This is the only thing I have found that has actual scientific and medical studies done around it, and "proven".

I think it has more to do with combustion from breathing and flooding the blood with oxygen. It makes things like pushups effortless, or with the cold it makes you stop shivering and heat yourself up to dry off.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 AM   #291
WAguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183147

wow im glad I found this thread, ive just been getting back into shape after a back injury that put me out for 12 months. started training again since Feb 1st, have been making solid progress. just about to hit the numbers I was at before my injury, it feels good.
WAguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #292
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Go find some more inclines

That is what I am doing for my running.
Oh, there's plenty of them. I just do an extra lap to hit them all again.

It's definitely good to see the progress. The first day I thought a 2mi round trip was the end of me. Now 6+ isn't too bad, even with my son in the cart behind me. It's usually time constraints that limit me. I haven't had to used reduced (as in reduced effort) gears as much either.

In any case it's done wonders for my cardio, and especially helped in my weight training as well.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #293
Str8liner
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174699

Well I finally hit my goal of being sub 200 this AM. 199 when I weighed myself awhile ago. It has been 30 years since I weighed less than 200 lbs I bet. I was going to stop around 200 but I think I can still lose another 10lbs.

I guess this is where the anorexia kicks in lol.
Str8liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #294
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
Well I finally hit my goal of being sub 200 this AM. 199 when I weighed myself awhile ago. It has been 30 years since I weighed less than 200 lbs I bet. I was going to stop around 200 but I think I can still lose another 10lbs.

I guess this is where the anorexia kicks in lol.
Nice! Keep it up. I recently moved and will be starting a new job very soon. My routine is way out of whack right now, as is my diet. I'm sure I'm up ten pounds. Can't wait to get back into a routine again.
Solid Snake 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #295
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
Nice! Keep it up. I recently moved and will be starting a new job very soon. My routine is way out of whack right now, as is my diet. I'm sure I'm up ten pounds. Can't wait to get back into a routine again.
I know sometimes it is tough. Getting up early in the AM and getting my exercise out of the way really has helped me. One thing I do to keep motivated is weight myself each day first thing in the AM. Seeing the weight come off and even maintaining your weight weekly is a great motivator. Especially if you have gained, it motivates you to get your ass back on track lol. And this might sound corny, but when I am changing clothes or getting a shower I look at myself in the mirror. Just to remind myself I still am not happy with the way I look and there is work to be done.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #296
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

I recently moved from Michigan to Tennessee. Just got back into running after getting settled in. Holy crap. Running outside down here is a whole different ballgame than up north.
Solid Snake 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #297
bignick31985

AKaholic #: 162700

Just picked up all the materials and built this platform for deadlift and gave me a decent way to secure my power cage. $250 total.

4 sheets 3/4" Plytanium
1 sheet 3/4" Blondewood
2 4'x6' stall mats cut to fit
1-1/4" coarse thread drywall screws
1 quart porch paint

And the pic doesn't show but I used a skid proof porch paint to cover the Blondewood, to help with grip and reduce the likelihood of my sweat ruining the wood, lol.

Last edited by bignick31985; 07-28-2017 at 10:15 PM.
bignick31985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #298
bearpaws1973

AKaholic #: 165942

Awesome to see this thread still running!
I have battled knee and shoulder problems over the last 3 months... Finally almost 100%
The knee is about 90% the shoulder 70%
Been doing a ton of body weight exercises, goblet squats, bulgarian split squats, 1 leg dead lifts, and macebell work (really helping the shoulder). I had to stop my chin work I hit 32 reps a few weeks back in a single set! My best was 28 when I was 28 and now I'm 43!. The bit of a shoulder issue turned into bicep tendonitis... sucks but getting better. Recently squatted 308 (140k) for a double (really low for me) My normal squat range is around 419-440 (190k-200k) at about 190 body weight high bar (weight depends on my cycle). However the good news is there is no clicking and I have full range of motion again. Really trying to get down to about 180 lbs. Thn the next goal is 140k x 10 reps.... Slowly but surely....

Lucky7
bearpaws1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #299
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
I recently moved from Michigan to Tennessee. Just got back into running after getting settled in. Holy crap. Running outside down here is a whole different ballgame than up north.
The humidity combined with the heat can get to you fast, I do recommend running commando, underwear only compounds the heat issue, also breathable lightweight running shoes and socks.

Welcome to the south.

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #300
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick31985 View Post
Just picked up all the materials and built this platform for deadlift and gave me a decent way to secure my power cage. $250 total.

4 sheets 3/4" Plytanium
1 sheet 3/4" Blondewood
2 4'x6' stall mats cut to fit
1-1/4" coarse thread drywall screws
1 quart porch paint

And the pic doesn't show but I used a skid proof porch paint to cover the Blondewood, to help with grip and reduce the likelihood of my sweat ruining the wood, lol.

Very nice build. I considered doing one of these but I'm so transient it would be a pain for me to have to move it. I just have the horse stall matting throughout my gym. I'll definitely make a platform at some point.
IrishCannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #301
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

I haven't lost too much more weight.

I have been keeping up with the weights and started to jog more instead of riding the bike.

I can tell a difference in strength and energy most times.

I'm just not shedding the weight like I had hoped.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #302
wade2big

If you aren't losing the weight then cut back on your food intake. Cut out a little each meal and do it everyday or if you are snacking between meals, DON'T. Snacking is fine, just not when weightloss is the goal. You are doing great. Keep it up.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #303
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
I haven't lost too much more weight.

I have been keeping up with the weights and started to jog more instead of riding the bike.

I can tell a difference in strength and energy most times.

I'm just not shedding the weight like I had hoped.
I stay consistently 185 now, if I wanted to lose more it's eat less or workout more.

But now it's getting everything in really good shape but maintaining weight. I've lost inches in my waist but no weight loss. Which is what I had hoped.

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #304
John Hunt Morgan
Etown Shithound

AKaholic #: 168039

I've lost about 55 lbs since Feb 1.

Quit booze,soda,fast food,fried food,very little red meat.

Still have work to do but I am finally on the right track. I'm in my early forties and basically lived like Hank Jr. for 20 years.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #305
Str8liner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hunt Morgan View Post
I've lost about 55 lbs since Feb 1.

Quit booze,soda,fast food,fried food,very little red meat.

Still have work to do but I am finally on the right track. I'm in my early forties and basically lived like Hank Jr. for 20 years.
Nice going. I wish I was like you and started a little earlier. I will be 49 next month and I left myself get in a hell of a shape health wise and I have found it is considerably harder to do the older you get.

Lot of aches and pains since I started exercising again.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #306
0DARK30
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169651

still stuck at around 195, but have been pretty faithful with the lifting and elliptical. Trap bar life saver yup figured that out too late in life. It is harder to make muscles hurt like back in the day, esp biceps. I can make almost everything else burn but its like there's just nothing there. I push for the last few reps and next day nothing. I never was a gym rat and I know its too late to get any real size increases, but I am definitely more condensed so to speak. Smaller clothes... .
0DARK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #307
oakhandledsks
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7249

I put on a kind of tight pair of dress pants for a venue today and I have a mini fucking muffin top. Where the shits did that come from? I am turing 40 this year is this normal? I'm only about 10lbs overweight and work out regularly. Wtf.
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #308
jeff47

AKaholic #: 9701

It's funny, shortly after I turned 40 I just wasn't feeling myself and decided to try and get in better shape and maybe lose 10 lbs. 20 lbs later I realized that even though I was tall and the weight sat on me pretty evenly for 20 years, I was a chubby bastard. I'm down 25 now and I'm hoping to go down another 5, maybe 15. I'm doing Crossfit 3 days a week and running 3-5 miles each Saturday. I feel better and look better but unless you work out 25 hours a week, you'll get more benefit and better results out of eating better than you will from working out alone. As all of the posts above mention, it only gets harder as you get older.
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #309
SAIGA 5.45

Well after turning 30 the other day I sat down and took a good look at my physical shape now as compared to when I was 20 a decade earlier. I am about 30 lbs. heavier but it is in proportion and I've cut pretty much all except by spare pint on the bottom of my stomach.

I found out my dad is borderline diabetic the other day, he has known since march I think but I had noticed he was losing weight pretty good and he is 58 soon to be 59, he was pretty much 6'3" like me but just a big build and had fattened up to 290ish, that was march, he is down to like 240 now on the way to 215. His diet is a complete 180 from where he was at,no beer, no carbs, no sugar, and he says he feels better than he ever has. If he stays on it I think he can get his blood sugar under control just by eating right, he is taking metformin at the moment but hopefully be able to get off it later. It's a good thing too as he is already and Amputee from a motorcycle accident about 17 years or so ago. But he gets it and he has adjusted drastically for it, I think watching his parents and my moms go through there health bouts changed them, because they refused to change lifestyle and it has got them woken up a bit.

I'm going to do better than that and not let myself go and remember to eat right and extreme moderation on the booze, I drink maybe twice a week and no more than a few drinks at a time.

Workouts still about the same Total Gym 3x a week but I have doubled my reps and upped the resistance some more, running 2x at least 1.5 miles each time. And that has kept me in that 180 to 185 range while getting my slimmer and in shape. I'd like to do a 5k at some point for shits and gigs just to try running on a flat surface.

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
Old 08-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #310
bignick31985

AKaholic #: 162700

5k isn't bad at all. I don't even run except for playing basketball and I had no issues with a few 5ks. Did a 10 and got the runners shits about 3 miles in. Decided to walk so I didn't crap my shorts. It suuuuucked.
bignick31985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #311
WAguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick31985 View Post
5k isn't bad at all. I don't even run except for playing basketball and I had no issues with a few 5ks. Did a 10 and got the runners shits about 3 miles in. Decided to walk so I didn't crap my shorts. It suuuuucked.
Runners shits? haha ive never heard of that. doesn't sound good lol
WAguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #312
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Ok, I have eased off the weights and focused on cadio and core. I'll do 2 core exercises, then run 1-2 miles.

I have been dropping a little weight. 5 pounds.

I am still sticking to the chicken, hardboiled eggs, fish (tilapia), and vegetables/fruit. I might cheat a meal on the weekend, but I still watch portions.

Now I am hearing that weight loss is all based on caloric intake, and exercise doesn't matter. What B.S. is this? I have heard this echoed through a few sources within the last couple weeks.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #313
DrNRA
Bar Jude

AKaholic #: 176619

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAguns View Post
Runners shits? haha ive never heard of that. doesn't sound good lol
It's a real thing. I've come home from a lot of long runs with only one sock.
DrNRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #314
wade2big

Quote:
Ok, I have eased off the weights and focused on cadio and core. I'll do 2 core exercises, then run 1-2 miles.

I have been dropping a little weight. 5 pounds.

I am still sticking to the chicken, hardboiled eggs, fish (tilapia), and vegetables/fruit. I might cheat a meal on the weekend, but I still watch portions.

Now I am hearing that weight loss is all based on caloric intake, and exercise doesn't matter. What B.S. is this? I have heard this echoed through a few sources within the last couple weeks.
You cannot exercise enough to make up for a bad or excessive diet. Exercise for weightloss is supplementary. You can trim up on diet alone. You will never trim up on exercise alone. Exercise does have other bealth benefits of course (mental as well as physical) so it is definately worth the effort. Put your effort into your diet. If you have anything left and you should, use that energy for exercise. This is coming from a man that lost almost 60lbs in 4-5 months. Fat to abs.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #315
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
You cannot exercise enough to make up for a bad or excessive diet. Exercise for weightloss is supplementary. You can trim up on diet alone. You will never trim up on exercise alone. Exercise does have other bealth benefits of course (mental as well as physical) so it is definately worth the effort. Put your effort into your diet. If you have anything left and you should, use that energy for exercise. This is coming from a man that lost almost 60lbs in 4-5 months. Fat to abs.
I wasn't in any way implying that my exercise was worthless, but just the opposite.

What you say here is making much more sense.