Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 07-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
preokc

AKaholic #: 821
Default Have a chance to pick this PSL up. Should I buy it?

Hi gentlemen, I have a chance to pick this up. The only thing that seems odd to me is all the PSL rifles I have owned in the past had the serial number on the front trunnion and not the receiver. All the numbers match, even the muzzle break is serial numbered. There is some freeplay in the lock up at the back of the mag but BHO functions. Any info is much appreciated!!!

preokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
John_Galt
Curios & Relics

AKaholic #: 164550

You left out the most important factor.

How much is it?

This will determine if you should pick it up or not.

John_Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
preokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Galt View Post
You left out the most important factor.

How much is it?

This will determine if you should pick it up or not.
I did leave out a lot of info. Comes with 6 mags, the four in the pouch are in cosmoline in bags. All the mags are parked with various serial numbers. The scope is a four power LPS. The rifle is supposed to be unfired. Gas tube and front sight are straight with no cant.

1400 for everything. I guess my biggest concern is the three PSL rifles I have had in the past had the serial number stamped on the front trunnion proceeded by a date while this serial number looks like it was added later. You can even see on the trunnion how the D was stamped out before the serial number. Also in front of the top rivit appears to be a CI22. Just want to make sure this is a true imoprt not a CAI creation from a kit and imported receiver.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
josey088

AKaholic #: 171046

I used to own a PSL in the past and frankly , I bought it then because the price was low ($450.00) and being so cheap , it was worth it .
Now a days , the price on these rifles has skyrocketed to unheard ridiculous amounts of money .
My point is that this is a rifle that it is so crudely made and its quality and accuracy is so low that it doesn`t resist comparison to other rifles that now are costing just about the same money .
If I had to spend more than a thousand dollars on a PSL , I would rather spend it on a Vepr which have 10 times the quality , the accuracy , the magazines availability and now that they have been banned , I would make my decision very rapidly and grab one before they are gone .
I now have a Vepr 54r caliber with a 16" barrel , but the 16"s are practically impossible to obtain anymore , although the 54r caliber on 23"s and 20"s are somehow still available but getting fewer and fewer by the day .
A Vepr 20" or 23" on a 54r caliber is a weapon of quality that would serve its owner for years to come . Csspecs is now selling 54r 10rd steel magazines for the Vepr with a fantastic quality and a reasonable price , so the magazine problem is a non issue now .
But , hey , this is my personal opinion , anyway ... if you think that a PSL is your thing , go ahead , buy it and enjoy it ...!!!

Last edited by josey088; 07-11-2017 at 10:59 AM.
josey088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
John_Galt
Curios & Relics

$1400 is quite a bit of money. Granted, prices have risen considerably, and I don't believe they're importing them anymore. It does come with 6 mags, which usually cost around $50+/-.

For the sake of owning one to have in your collection, and because you love it. Go ahead and buy it. I don't think prices are going to come down too much. You can wait and see, or not. That's the gamble.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Gustav109

AKaholic #: 193114

I think $1400.00 is a pretty stiff price. There was one on gunbroker about 3 weeks ago and the asking price was $1,000.00 and there were no bids up to 3 hours before the auction. Obviously; its your money and you have the hots for it, so do what you have to. I like mine, but I would never buy another one. Honestly; the workmanship is the worst I have ever seen on a combat weapon:bar none..................
Gustav109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
JimMac
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169345

Can you comfortably afford it? People wont buy a norinco sks for over $300 because they were $69 when they were imported 20 years ago. If its honestly priced 2-300 bucks over market value, are you really going to miss the money in six months? You can skip this one and wait for the next that may not shown up for a year or two. I vote if you want it, buy it, enjoy it.
Then again, ive got three of them so im a little biased. Jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
SAVAGE11
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 158321

I paid 1050.00 for mine a month ago in the marketplace . It came with two mags, pouch, scope, and the accessories to boot. If a PSL is on your dream list, buy it! Life is short enjoy it to the fullest.

((DB)) #69 BaconBalls
SAVAGE11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

aww man, just get a VEPR! no wait.....
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
SAVAGE11
Curio & Relic

Did you make a purchase OP?

((DB)) #69 BaconBalls
Old 07-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
preokc

Yes Savage I did. I got him down a little bit and since I have a few mags left over from rifles I have owned in the past I am thinking that if I sell off some of the mags and get the cost close to 1000 I will be happy.

OK ready for the oxymoron.....it is a very clean PSL lol. Park is nice, all numbers match and everything is straight.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
User47

AKaholic #: 192924

Quote:
Originally Posted by preokc View Post
Yes Savage I did. I got him down a little bit and since I have a few mags left over from rifles I have owned in the past I am thinking that if I sell off some of the mags and get the cost close to 1000 I will be happy.

OK ready for the oxymoron.....it is a very clean PSL lol. Park is nice, all numbers match and everything is straight.
Pics??
User47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 AM   #13
preokc

I had pics but I guess photobucket is messing with my account.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
John_Galt
Curios & Relics

Quote:
I had pics but I guess photobucket is messing with my account.
It's not you, it's Photobucket. They're shitty now

Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #15
SAVAGE11
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Freaking awesome man, I'm happy for you! Trust me, I know the feeling!!!! Keep the mags or at least try them out first before you sell. See which ones run best in your girl first!

((DB)) #69 BaconBalls
Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #16
ValHalla211
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 112949

MY PSL and others I have handled are accurate enough for the task... the problem it really has is it starts stringing quick due to barrel length and heating
"We are fully aware that war is not the only way to defend our values. But if those values are fundamentally endangered, as is the case today, then war is the only way to defend them. Everything that hinders us in our effort to defend ourselves is an injustice. We did not want this war, it was thrust upon us, like all others. Defending one's people is a holy duty," - Ratko Mladic

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
ValHalla211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #17
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

My PSL was quite accurate, liked Czech LB and 7n1. The 7n1 price became nuts and CZ lb stopped flowing in. I fixed my stringing issues by trimming the handguards. They are definitely interesting rifles, way more accurate than they should have been.