Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Full Autos

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #1
hbk80rice

AKaholic #: 170234
Default Having problems with my RR Type 56

It is not firing in full auto like it should. It runs 100% in semi, but when it's in full auto it doesn't work right 100% of the time, and with the money I have in this gun it should work every time and NEVER have any problems.

I KNOW that the Chinese didn't use rate reducers/retarders in their guns, but I put a Polish one in my gun to slow down the cyclic rate a bit. Could this be the problem? I thought it might be the problem until I began looking at the unfired shells and they had primers that looked like they should have gone off, but they did not. All of my ammo is stored in ammo cans with disaecent packs and stored in a cool dark room, so that is not the issue. So I just took out the Polish rate reducer/retarder out in the field and it began to run a little but better, but it still occasionally has some problems, esp with light primer strikes. Not sure if it is the springs not being strong enough or if there is a problem with the hammer following the carrier and the sear being tripped to soon. My though it is the springs, at least that's what I am praying the problem is.

When it does have problems I look at the shell casing that didn't fire and notice that the primer has been struck but maybe they weren't hit hard enough. I was first using Wolf ammo but thwn I switched to brass classed Yugo M67. When I switched to M67 brass cases Yugo ammo it didn't do it as much but it still did it and I still could not get an entire mag dump, which REALLY chaps my ass!!!!

I am thinking and PRAYING that all I need to do is change some springs. My questions are which springs should I change and what power/poundage/brand should I buy? I think and hear Wolff springs are the best but what should I go with, which ones should I change, and what poundage? I want to hear it from the experienced Full Auto NFA guys who have run into this issue before.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!

Last edited by hbk80rice; 08-02-2017 at 04:03 AM.
hbk80rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
jaredrlewman
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 148810

Modified carrier or swapped for one with a sear trip? Did you replace the whole FCG or just add a reducer? If they are light strikes you need a new hammer spring but if it's weak/worn you might as well do em all, Hammer Disco Recoil Extractor.

Do you know the round count and have you checked headspace?
jaredrlewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

Might also want to disassemble the bolt and ensure the firing pin and firing pin channel are clean and clear of debris.
Towerofpower93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

I agree, there are a few questions that need to be answered first.

Did you swap the entire Chinese fcg, or just the trigger and added the hammer retarder? During removal/replacement, did the disconnector spring get put in improperly?

If the bolt carrier had the sear trip welded onto it, is it dimensionally correct?

Is the bolt spring loaded firing pin type, or free floating type?

I think we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough - these are fairly straightforward fire control groups (original Chinese style). Im going to attempt to install an aims 74 fcg in mine soon, so I may be in your shoes before long!
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

First check the sear timing. In FA with the trigger pulled (empty gun of course!) when the bolt is slowly closed the hammer should drop somewhere between 1/16" to 3/32" from the carrier being fully forward. You can measure with the shank of a drill bit. If it is within that spec you likely have a weak hammer spring or a sticky FP.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
hbk80rice

It is a free floating firing pin. I Ieft the original fcg in and just added the polish rate reducer. I then took out the rate reducer, didn't help, then I changed the original fcg for another full auto fcg and that didn't help either. I got it from a website that sells full auto ak parts. I didn't change the springs though.

The sear timing is right on when I lower the carrier slowly and check it so that's not the problem. The bolt carrier doesn't have the trip welded. It is an original bolt carrier and the sear trip is milled on the carrier like it should be, not welded on.

I think I answered the quesrions, if anyone has another one I didn't answer please ask me again and I'll get right back to you.
Thanks!!!!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
jaredrlewman
Curio & Relic
Vendor

If it isnt timing then you have an obstruction in the FP channel, weak springs, or maybe even a worn firing pin.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
hbk80rice

What spring or company do you suggest? I see surplus double wrap hammer springs all the time.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
jaredrlewman
Curio & Relic
Vendor

Surp or Wolff