Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 AM   #561
Spook76

AKaholic #: 161291

I thought I'd already posted in this thread, but I don't see it, now...I have a General class, my wife has a Technician, my father-in-law is an Extra, mother-in-law is a Tech, brother-in-law is an Extra, uncle is a...well, you get the idea...lol The funny thing is that when I want to sort out some of what I'm plotting on the equipment front I don't always want to ask a family member (some are too old school, some too high-techno geeky, I'm in between), so threads like this are pretty handy.

I still need to get them set up at our new house ("new" as in 2 years ago, now...haha), but I've got an old Collins KWM-2A and an Icom 745. For the truck, I've got a Yaesu 857D. I haven't been able to find my ATAS 120a (still unopened) since the move, but am fine using something separate/simpler for just 2m and 70cm until (and, after) I re-find it. We have Yaesu, Icom and Baufeng handhelds, but forgive me for not knowing the model names off the top of my head.

Anyway, there's that bit. Might anyone be willing to advise on a good 2m/70cm mobile antenna? I'm not looking for anything crazy, but do want good usefulness. Quality/durability matters more than cost, but I don't want to go completely nuts. I think I'd prefer to mount it on the rear bumper vs the roof, and would like some kind of fairly QD setup (the antenna, as the mount would always be left on the bumper). Durability concerns include off-road/rough road/driving through brush use.

Also, any advice on a mag mount antenna to plug into a handheld? It seems wise to have one for quick use (rest of the time it'd be stored inside) when outside the stopped vehicle, to get better range via a handheld, in case the 857D ever had a problem.

Thanks! I know a wee bit, but am far from an expert in HAM bits, so please bear with me if I need to ask several follow on questions. I've had my General for a few years, but have been using only handhelds, my FIL's shack and a friend's. Given that I have some really nice radios, I think it's about time I finally get them going.

ETA: Regarding Morse code...I recently had a chance to get some really surprised reactions from a couple old school HAMS, by showing them an app on my Android phone. It'll do sound, light and text translating to and from Morse. It's pretty awesome, and I can see it being a handy training tool for anyone wanting to practice. I can see it being useful in certain emergencies, too.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer

Last edited by Spook76; 04-03-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Spook76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #562
jagdkampf

AKaholic #: 157743

Well, not a huge fan of bummer mounts as they tend to put your antenna low on the car and compromise your ground plane. I would probably opt for a trunk lip mount with a NMO connector. As far as antennas, there are many good ones. I prefer the Diamond or Comet brand. Hard to go wrong with either one. Just pick a dual band model that matches the profile of your vehicle and you should be good to go.
J
jagdkampf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #563
Spook76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdkampf View Post
Well, not a huge fan of bummer mounts as they tend to put your antenna low on the car and compromise your ground plane. I would probably opt for a trunk lip mount with a NMO connector. As far as antennas, there are many good ones. I prefer the Diamond or Comet brand. Hard to go wrong with either one. Just pick a dual band model that matches the profile of your vehicle and you should be good to go.
J
Thanks, but...no trunk on a truck. My main concerns about not putting it on the roof are having to drill a hole that may (ever) leak and driving through brush. I know the bumper is less ideal, but it's the best option I have. Well, I guess using that type mount could be done on the edge of one of the rear doors, but brush could still be an issue.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #564
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

A bumper mount can work alright. The vehicle acts as a counterpoise. It will be a bit directional, but that usually isn't a problem. Mount it on the driver's side, to minimize hitting tree limbs overhanging the road.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #565
Dirtmonkey

AKaholic #: 168528

Comet CA-2x4srnmo on an adjustable lip mount , mounted on the left rear corner of my Duramax hood works great ! It does well with my business band freq also.
Dirtmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #566
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post

ETA: Regarding Morse code...I recently had a chance to get some really surprised reactions from a couple old school HAMS, by showing them an app on my Android phone. It'll do sound, light and text translating to and from Morse. It's pretty awesome, and I can see it being a handy training tool for anyone wanting to practice. I can see it being useful in certain emergencies, too.
Whats the name of the app?
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #567
Spook76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Whats the name of the app?
M3 Translator:Morse Code (by JinH)

Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #568
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
This one ???

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...morseDit&hl=en

I was an Crypto class R in the Navy. Morse was part of my deal, and I was stupid fast at it.
Today, not so much, and I am 99% my brain has forgotten majority of it. (Those are more FRS use)

I'm trying to get into the HAM scene, picked up a few different Baofeng units for $80 each
and got a pair of basic 888's I used in Mexico for $20 for the set. ONCE I get into it fully I'll score some Yaesu's.

EDIT okay I see you put the name up

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 AM   #569
John A.

AKaholic #: 178172

Looks like a lot of knowledge going around in this topic.

I have a question about a radio.

I bought a whole box of radios at a yard sale for $40. There were a lot of older radios in there, but they all work.

Mostly older run of the mill CB's. A 29ltd soundtracker, 19 ultraIII, 3 old General Electrics and 2 unidens. I know about these radios.

But I am wondering mostly about a McKinley President AM-SSB.

I don't have a license, which I am going to assume that I would need to operate it, but I am also curious about just listening for the most part.

Seems to be a good way to be able to keep track of what's going on around me.

I am curious to find out everything I can about that radio. What it's capable of. What I could realistically expect from it, what kind of antenna do I need for it? Will a steel whip for a CB work?

Does this broadcast on CB channels too so I could use it as a CB if I am not on the sidebands?

I am wanting to set up a couple of base radios. One at my home, the other maybe a mile and a half away at my cabin. Mostly for short range communication for when the boys are camping or to keep in touch with my wife when I am hunting. Nothing major.

A CB will have no problem getting the range I need and I know they would work fine for that. But if I could use the President radio at either location, I would prefer to set it up instead of one of the regular CB's. I just don't know anything about it.

Here is a snapshot to give you an educated idea what it is. While it is an older analog, I don't need the fanciest rig out there.

Thank you in advance for the advice and guidance.

John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #570
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

It's just another CB radio, but with the sideband capability. No license needed. You need another radio with sideband to utilize that feature, of course. Main advantage to SSB is increased range and less crowding on the channels. AM is "regular" CB, then you have Upper sideband and Lower sideband. All sideband does is kinda narrow down the frequency you are transmitting on, which eliminates the "wasted" power and gives a bit more range. Kinda simplified, but that's the gist of it.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #571
John A.

Thank you for the reply sir.

I didn't know if the sidebands required licensing or not. I haven't fooled much with CB's in decades, but I do know that certain frequencies are not supposed to be used without licenses. Kind of like how the FRS and GMRS are both accessible in the same unit, but the instructions warn not to use certain channels unless you are licensed.

And why I wanted to ask in advance to avoid doing something wrong. I'm just trying to follow the rules.

Thank you again.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #572
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Sideband uses the same frequencies as the regular CB channels, the link below explains it in technical detail. The illustrations are easier to understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single...and_modulation
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #573
John A.

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #574
PermaAK
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188710

I still have my old CB base, but no antenna. I fire it up every couple of months on a D.L. to warm her up & check the crystals. It looks and operates 100%.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #575
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Single sideband CB radio used to be a bit more disciplined than AM CB radio but not as much as ham radio was.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #576
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaAK View Post
I still have my old CB base, but no antenna. I fire it up every couple of months on a D.L. to warm her up & check the crystals. It looks and operates 100%.
Those radios will let you transmit on one channel and receive on another channel.

Some of those old TV sweep tubes are getting hard to find.