Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226
Default I Hate the Saiga Bolt Hold Open Device

I just finished putting the factory manual bolt hold oepn device back in a SGL12, and it was one of the most trying experiences of my AK life.

I recently found an SGL12-94 for a good price, so figured why not? No more coming in and I like my VEPR-12. I've not had a Saiga 12 in a number of years anyway.

The SGL12-94 features the original side folding stock, but as it comes from Russia, it has a safety lockout. The stock can only fold while the selector lever is up in safe. In Russia, it is ok to have a folding stock on a shotgun, if the barrel length is over 20" (500mm), but since the SGL12 has a 18.5" barrel, by Russian law it has to have the lockout.

Once in the USA though, its 100% ok to remove it. Now, why Arsenal the importer didn't remove it themselves? I am glad you asked as I have no damn clue.

The lockout is a metal bar that runs from below the safety inside the receiver, to the back. When the safety is down it pushes the bar backwards. Its end stick out and into a cutout in the buttstock, thus pinning it open. When the safety is up, the bar is pulled forward and the end out of the stock, allowing it to fold.

To remove the bar, its pretty simple. You need to remove the safety. To remove the safety, you need to remove the trigger group. To remove the trigger group, you have to remove the hammer (this because of how the wire retainer is made in the SGL12).
So at this point, all the gutts of the receiver are out, including the manual bolt hold open. It comes out so easily....and goes back in like a true bitch.

My fingers still hurt, dearlord.
If I ever have to remove the FCG again, I am just leaving the BHO out.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303

Yes, Saiga BHO devices suck balls. There's really no reason for them. Never was part of the AK design in the first place.

The bad thing is when the flimsy return spring fails and locks the bolt carrier back fast and requires total (difficult) disassembly to put things right -- just what you don't need when the SHTF.

At least Vepr 12 BHO devices work and are fail proof: with the mag installed, you simply push the button up to release the carrier -- no dependence on a flimsy spring to make operational.

Best course of action is to remove the Saiga BHO device entirely and replace with appropriate sized washers to make the FCG line up correctly. Or you can buy one of Dinzag's excellent massaged G2 FCGs that don't require the BHO device in the first place.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Unit28
(((DB)))

AKaholic #: 176712

Dental floss... just saying.
(((Deplorable Bastard #28)))
Crosstown
Unit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Vance
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179748

They are nice on the shotgun because loading on a closed bolt can be cumbersome. Other than that I removed the BHOs from my Saigas. I don't even like the BHO safeties.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:48 AM   #5
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit28 View Post
Dental floss... just saying.
Yes, always carry a length of dental floss into a SHTF situation, because you never know when your Saiga BHO device is going to choke.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote