Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Shadow Walker
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10055
Default Tell us your snake stories....I'll start...

...This happened before I as even born. My grandfather loved to go bare footed every where. (Just think rural Mississippi in the early twentieth century). During one of his many trips outside he was bitten by a rattlesnake on his toe (I don't know which toe).

My grandfather was uninjured except for two holes in his toe. One hole on each side of his toe. The snake died. The fangs went through his toe, and into the snakes lower mouth, killing it.
Shadow Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

Say what? I'm pretty sure snakes are immune to their own venom.

Maybe I missed the joke.

Last edited by shajopma; 08-13-2017 at 11:27 AM.
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Flashy
(Y) u bitchin (386)Chinese mafia

AKaholic #: 168764
Location: Pennsyltucky PA somewhere between communist CA and NY

Yup
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
History
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 163408

Ever hear the story about the "hoop snake". Use to work with a clown from Pa, not bashing Pa as I heard it local also that says,, he was chased by a snake that had its tail in its mouth forming a hoop or a wheel. It rolled down the hill after him and just as it closed in on him it straightened out like a spear and stuck into a tree as he had juked out of its way. We gave this guy a hard time over the hoop snake.

I was working on an old silage truck and was under the hood and saw a black snake where I needed to be. I took a stick and poked it, not hard I didn't want to hurt it but I wanted it gone. That sob came out from under the truck on its tail standing about three feet high. I took off and the snake was chasing me. Looking back I wish I hadn't but I teed off on it with the stick. I'm not a snake killer, I think it was just adrenaline. I've heard of black racers and I don't know if they are real or not but this thing was fast.

My brother grabbed a black snake by the tail and chased a friend of ours with it. The guy was older and terrified of snakes. He slung it like a boomerang and it rapped around the guy's neck. I almost pissed on myself laughing. Yeah I know, I would have killed him if I'd been the guy.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

girlfriend and I were sleeping in bed when we both opened our eyes at same time...a snake had crawled into our bed and woke us both up...it was in my open hand which clenched and threw across room. it was non-venomous after further investigation. this was in costa rican jungle....

kinda funny though.
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...

Last edited by bounce19712; 08-13-2017 at 11:29 AM.
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
PRegner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186235

My snake story happened long before I was born too. It goes like this:

Once upon a time there was a beautiful garden that was inhabited by two nudists; one male and one female. Their landlord (the owner of the garden) told them that they could do whatever they wanted in the garden, with the exception of eating fruit from one specific tree.

Life was good for the two nudists, until one day a talking snake entered the garden, and convinced the naked chick to not only eat from the tree that was forbidden by the landlord, but to con her nudist boyfriend into eating the fruit as well. Needless to say, the landlord was pissed-off, and evicted the two nudists from his garden.

I guess that one of the nudists should have killed the snake; maybe they were taken off-guard on account of the snake being capable of speech?

Anyway, I guess the moral of this story is to ignore or kill talking snakes. The end.

"Islam in a man is more dangerous than rabies in a dog" ~Winston Churchill~
PRegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Lane_H
Errmahgerd!

AKaholic #: 182543

several yrs ago my dad & I were bass fishing along part of the Coosa River
(about center of that G-map if you open the link)

& I hear my dad say " I wonder If that is a Snake or a Stick ?"

I look towards the front of the boat & he is pointing further ahead maybe 100 yds away to something that was barely visible on top of the water about the middle of that body of water..

I wasn't concerned either way & kept casting and observing the depth/fish finder at the rear of the boat as I normally did to see if any fish were directly under the boat..

a min or 2 later- the old man changes gears on the trolling motor and takes us toward the "object"
about half way there- he says "its moving pretty fast- it must be a snake"

I comment- "why don't we just leave it alone /"
- i've always heard stories of mocs trying to get into boats with people & I didn't particularly want to take part in that.

as we arrive at its location very near the bank at this point & my dad - says "its a big rattle snake - hand me that boat paddle from the rear compartment.."

I look down open the compartment and inside is the little, compact, plastic blade, telescoping handle baby boat paddle- I ask "what the hell are you going to do with this?"

the snake has now made its way onto the bank and is in full defense mode coiled up ready to strike, as my dad is extending the handle of the paddle..

he moves the boat into position and ''Judo Chopped" the snake with the paddle & broke its back about 8 in. behind its head..

the now very big, very pissed off rattler is now 75% paralyzed is striking like crazy, so my dad pitched me the paddle and grabs my rod & reel setup with a rattle trap lure (fitting)
-
due to it having 2 treble hooks and then reels the lure up to the tip and poked it at the big rattler til it struck and hooked itself on the lure.
-
then he backed the boat away from the bank pulling the snake off into the water, then using the rod (still hooked) to drown the snake..

while he drowned the snake I fished a bit more..

he pulled the fangs from the snake before getting the lure out of its mouth..

we stretched it out and measured it, 5'-7" 12+1 rattlers, its head was about 4.5'' wide- its mid section was as thick as my calf.

later on as we headed for home, we stopped by the gas pump at the marina where we launched/recovered the boat, I went in to pay for gas and get a couple drinks and snacks.
as i return to the truck I see my dad talking to an old man, I hear him ask- "did yall catch any Big Ones?"
my dad said- ''yeah, we caught a big "Striper" -
(stripe hybrid bass- for those not familiar with- can be a challenge to catch & may be of 30 to 40 lbs or larger)
- its laying on the floor of the boat, its probably around 40#"

before I can say anything, the old man steps over to the boat and peers over into the boat expecting to see a big fish..

then he sees the huge snake laying directly below his chin on the gunwale compartment & he does an old man moonwalk right fast and almost tripped over the gas pump getting away from it..

after the initial excitement he didn't seem to mind that my dad had pranked him..

on the drive home- I told my dad he was lucky that old man didn't have a stroke or heart-attack right there when he saw the snake.

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
timmy59

AKaholic #: 178435

My snakes turned into guns, ammo and magazines, from one collection to another..
http://mimage.novarata.net/image/ay0B
timmy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
IdahoMike
I like turtles...

AKaholic #: 170136

I got a snake main. One day I fed it some beer, it was slithering this way and that. It was all fucked up.
IdahoMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
ColonelKorn
Certified Certifier

AKaholic #: 6198

My brother and a cousin were running along a path between cousin's home and my parents' property where I was cutting underbrush. My cousin jumped over a rattlesnake that wound up being 5' long. My brother came and got me to shoot it with my .357. I ate that sucker.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
DrNRA
Bar Jude

AKaholic #: 176619

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMike View Post
I got a snake main. One day I fed it some beer, it was slithering this way and that. It was all fucked up.
Fuckin' shit!
DrNRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
TRX
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 45385

Lawdog's snake story: http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...ake-story.html

[snip]
Mom has risen to her full height, and is about to order Ali to get his beef away from her house, when Squeaker (the Pygmy mongoose) wanders out of his apartment, and screams in sheer rage. (It was always amazing how much sheer volume that little hairball could put out) Ali and buddy are startled by the shriek and drop the burlap bag onto the Plexiglass roof of Squeaker's residence.

The 'unbreakable' Plexi shattered and dropped the burlap bag into the Mongoose-a-minium. Inside said burlap is one 15 foot, rather scared python.

Squeaker, who was about the size and girth of a tennis ball, offers up a brief prayer to the Mongoose God for the meal he is about to partake of, and latches onto the snakes tail, with tooth and claw.

The snake has discovered that he has been dumped into a place which reeks of mongoose, panics and pours himself up the side of the Mongoose-a-minium and down to the porch--with Squeaker not only still firmly attached to his tail, but bracing all four legs to prevent his meal from getting away. I should probably mention that the snake was approximately fifteen feet long.

Squeaker didn't even slow him down.
[/snip]
TRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
bzub12
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4864

Find the rattle snake in this photo

I have had rattle snakes under my patio furniture, in my pool, in a garden hose plastic reel box on the side of my home, under a wheelbarrow in my backyard,in my garage, stretched out on the threshold of my back patio door, under my car in my driveway at night so when i approached to get in it hissed and rattled almost making me lose my bowels....I have seen them in rock outcroppings in the lakes and rivers around here and encountered them many times on hikes.

The worst encounter i have had with one was when one fell out of a Paloverde tree into my back yard and i heard it hit the ground and slither off very quickly under my patio furniture.

I even stepped on or right next to one that didn't rattle once in my own side yard.......it was a divine miracle i was not bitten.

Last edited by bzub12; 08-13-2017 at 02:49 PM.
bzub12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

Long story short. When I was a kid a bastard neighbor shot our female Malmute with a 12 ga for supposedly chasing deer. My brother & I came home to her howling in agony in our garage with her chest caked in blood & pooling at her feet. We called our Dad in a panic not knowing what to do. 'Tasha' died not long after. A few days later I found a dead bull snake & put it in the bastards mailbox...they moved shortly after.

Even if she had been chasing deer, he should have told us & we would have handled it. Still hear her howls to this day.

ETA: Not really a snake story I know but it brought up that memory.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.
It's MY Island! Mine!

Last edited by Fortis; 08-13-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

hydra snake

a triple account member gets banned and five noobs show up and post within 48 hours.
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzub12 View Post

I have had rattle snakes under my patio furniture, in my pool, in a garden hose plastic reel box on the side of my home, under a wheelbarrow in my backyard,in my garage, stretched out on the threshold of my back patio door, under my car in my driveway at night so when i approached to get in it hissed and rattled almost making me lose my bowels....I have seen them in rock outcroppings in the lakes and rivers around here and encountered them many times on hikes.

The worst encounter i have had with one was when one fell out of a Paloverde tree into my back yard and i heard it hit the ground and slither off very quickly under my patio furniture.

I even stepped on or right next to one that didn't rattle once in my own side yard.......it was a divine miracle i was not bitten.

Damn, if it's there I don't see it. I thought there was something at the very top of the stack(almost out of photo), but I think it's just the white-ish vinyl tarp seen elsewhere in the photo. Nature's camo can't be beat.

ETA: ok, I see 'something' about 1/2 way down the photo on the far right side (in the dirt amongst some rocks). Dammit though, hard to tell.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.
It's MY Island! Mine!

Last edited by Fortis; 08-13-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #17
bzub12
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4864

The rattlesnakes head is sticking out of the wood pallet that all that cantera stone is sitting on...that is the snake i accidentally stepped on but somehow did not get bitten.....these bastards dont rattle in the colder weather.......very dangerous.
bzub12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 175207

Quote:

Found it. Sneaky sneaky.
MattyZ28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
Lane_H
Errmahgerd!

AKaholic #: 182543

Quote:
The rattlesnakes head is sticking out of the wood pallet that all that cantera stone is sitting on...that is the snake i accidentally stepped on but somehow did not get bitten.....these bastards dont rattle in the colder weather.......very dangerous.
in cold weather unless you stood very still and poked at it, it would be very unlikely to strike

being they're cold blooded the outside temp needs to get above 60*f before they will even move from underground den, the cooler it is the slower they move

even if its mid winter and there is a unseasonably warm day they will emerge from their dens to get sun and warmth and to feed.

http://www.snakeprotection.com/snake...kes-hibernate-

good thing that booger hadn't made it into the sun yet or the time of day vs the sun rays hadn't warmed its blood- you very well may have been bitten.

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

I once had 3 Reticulated Pythons , each over 12 feet long and one being 15 feet long , that I kept in one of my rooms in my home . I regularly catch baby Diamondback rattlers and raise them up to adulthood then release them back into the wild . Once a friend of mine brought a 4 foot Coral snake [ alive ] over to my house . I let it go in my backyard . I love snakes . Only cowards fear them !
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #21
holderofthehorns
Patriot, Veteran, Christian

AKaholic #: 166341

Ohio resident since 84. Never seen a rattler or any poinsonous snakes in all my woods tramping.

Fast forward:
Frog gigging Friday night. Pull up to the Wildlife Area (yellow sign) and park the truck.
Open the door and get ready to step out... "Say. Is that a rattle snake?" Oh yes it is.
Almost stepped on it.
We shoo-ed it into the tall grass.

Google-Fu shows it was an Eastern Massasauga Rattler. 2.5' long fully grown. Maybe 1 lb.

Picks coming as soon as I post them somewhere.<-- Onedrive, for a while.

Last edited by holderofthehorns; 08-13-2017 at 08:24 PM.
holderofthehorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #22
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

We have snakes everywhere, it's farm country after all. You get used to them. No poisonous ones seen yet. There is only one venomous rattler native to where I live, reference by Holderofthehorns above, the other few species are Southern Indiana only.

I did get bit once, was turning the compost and a Blue Racer came out on the pitchfork of hay and crap. I was choked up on the thing by the tines and it took exception and struck at me, caught me on a finger. IIRC, I was about 14 at the time and didn't know much about snakes. Went to the ER where the doc informed me teeth marks and no fang marks indicated nothing to worry about except infection.

Now, my older sister was deathly afraid of snakes. When we moved here the place was overgrown and had junk piles everywhere. As we cleaned up of course many snakes would be evicted. One day my Brother found a single tire tread from somewhere, just a long string of wavy black rubber. At first glance, you might think "snake". It was tossed into her peripheral vision many a time, with the predicted result! Ever see someone try to climb a rake or shovel? And anyone who believes levitation is impossible, throw a rubber snake down in front of my Sister!
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #23
holderofthehorns
Patriot, Veteran, Christian

AKaholic #: 166341

Yes, Indiana should be big with these.

The Eastern Massasauga Rattler is: Seldom seen. Likes the wet plains. Is slow moving and rarely attacks. It often loses rattles as it molts, so you can't really tell how old they are.

At first I thought it was a baby diamond back. I grew up in Florida. All snake tales revolve around 7 foot 30 lb Eastern Diamond Backs.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #24
sigking
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 8744

Almost stepped on a coiled up mouth wide open water moccasin deer hunting.

I was walking thru a dried up swamp looking for deer and the dang thing was same color as the wetish/half dried leaves that were in the bottom of the swamp.

I was about to put my right foot down when its white open mouth caught my attention.

I drew my 357 I always carried and almost shot my foot off shooting that devil.

I did a swivel, side step, fall away from the snake all the while shooting. I remember how my pants moved from the muzzle blast and was still more scared of the snake than shooting myself in the foot/leg, which I did not, thank God.

And another time a 10 foot black snake chased me off a moving dozer which I happily jumped off of for a few minutes,,,,, I was in better shape back then and was able to catch the dozer and get back on.

I hate snakes.

And ants.....little bastards

When I fall...let it be from a bullet and not a blade to the throat..
sigking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #25
Rooney74
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177672

Quote:
Originally Posted by holderofthehorns View Post
Ohio resident since 84. Never seen a rattler or any poinsonous snakes in all my woods tramping.

Fast forward:
Frog gigging Friday night. Pull up to the Wildlife Area (yellow sign) and park the truck.
Open the door and get ready to step out... "Say. Is that a rattle snake?" Oh yes it is.
Almost stepped on it.
We shoo-ed it into the tall grass.

Google-Fu shows it was an Eastern Massasauga Rattler. 2.5' long fully grown. Maybe 1 lb.

Picks coming as soon as I post them somewhere.<-- Onedrive, for a while.

Pigmy rattler. Were you at killdeer?

Edit: We'll have to meet up some night I don't work and you don't either.

People like this fat slob demand free health care, while stuffing their face with Twinkies & Coke. People who want universal health care should be charged by the pound, might make them reconsider. - Fortis
Rooney74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #26
Rooney74
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177672

They say there is timber rattlers in ther too.

People like this fat slob demand free health care, while stuffing their face with Twinkies & Coke. People who want universal health care should be charged by the pound, might make them reconsider. - Fortis
Rooney74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #27
jp10

AKaholic #: 186247

While going thru a course at the Benning Ranger Department in the 80's, we killed a black snake about 5 feet long. Many of the Ranger Instructors carried walking sticks they had cut and would carve/whittle on during the odd waiting moments. We took the skin off the snake and rolled it onto our RI's stick. He had a snake skin Ranger stick and was the envy of the other instructors.
I am trying to find peace, trying to stay together, please don't fight each other here, i'm done with petty shit, we may have differences here and there, but we are not like the hateful left, they are trying to destroy our unity, our country. I won't be destroyed by this.
jp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #28
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

At the cabinet shop I work in we keep several old pairs of shoes for when we're doing finish/paint work so we don't ruin our regular shoes, this little guy crawled out of one. This was taken last year, for scale, the little diamond shaped thing on the floor is actually a glazier's point for installing glass in old windows. Pretty sure it's a baby Timber Rattler.
[IMG][/IMG]
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #29
ol okie
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171009

Quote:

I found that sneaky bastard!!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #30
JimMac
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169345

Desert area where I walk the dogs daily has a few rattlers. One head I got 8 pics of different snakes in different areas this hear we're only up to 2 rattlers and 2 king snakes. But as the weather cools we usually find more. I learned to stay in the middle of the road or trails. They usually stay on the edges of the roads in the brush when you see them. My dogs don't like snakes, but they don't have the hunting dog senses to spot them so I have to watch my steps and their steps on a short leash. Jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #31
Cornpone
Bubba Gump of Corn

AKaholic #: 181728

I was mowing hay this Summer and had to stop to take a leak. I'm just about finished when this Blue Racer decides to pop up and see what disturbed him. He has about 4 ft of his body standing up. Damn thing was only about 3 ft away from me on my right. He went back down and I went back to work.

No one has a better snake story than ole Jim from Wild Kingdom. That man wrestled a Anaconda
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #32
Cypheros
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171345

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
We have snakes everywhere, it's farm country after all. You get used to them. No poisonous ones seen yet. There is only one venomous rattler native to where I live, reference by Holderofthehorns above, the other few species are Southern Indiana only.
Yep. I live in Southern Indiana. We have copperheads, Timber Rattlesnakes (of various kinds), and--very rarely--cottonmouths.

I've seen several copperheads, tons of rattlers...but only ever 1 cottonmouth. In May of this year, I was hiking with some friends, and it was just hanging out next to the trail. We were stopped (taking a breather) when one of the guys noticed it...less than 2 feet away. It was all coiled up, and showing us it's mouth. I was shocked--I had always heard of them chasing after people that got too close...but he didn't even act aggressive, he just showed us his mouth.

We didn't want to kill it, so I distracted it with my walking stick while everyone else got far enough away. After that, I just poked at it until it got the hint, and bolted for a den.
Cypheros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #33
lastlaugh
Appalachian American

AKaholic #: 177161

I cannot believe beef is missing this opportunity
lastlaugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #34
Grunow
Banned

AKaholic #: 193329

I've never had a good experience with snakes.

When I was very little my mother caught me trying to play with a rattle snake, fortunately the rattler lost that time.

Then, when I was older, I came across a huge black snake which though harmless, latched on to my arm and I had to go to the hospital for shots.

Then when working surveying I was chopping line with my machete and hit a snake and it stuck on the end of my machete and stuck there and I thought it was jumping up on me and I ran away with it dangling on my machete and about skewered the guy behind me, our boss watched the whole thing through the instrument and thought it was hilarious.

Then there was the time a water moccasin came at us on a subdivision street and the whole survey crew screamed like little girls and jumped in the truck and we ran it over, several times, to be sure.

I hate snakes.
Grunow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #35
bravo lima

AKaholic #: 187837

Killed a copperhead yesterday that was too close to the house, normally I let them alone when not so near.
bravo lima is online now   Reply With Quote