Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #666
darink300zx

AKaholic #: 183098

Posting these for Captain Steinbrenner.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #667
captain steinbrenner

AKaholic #: 159786

Thanks bud.
What you guys think?
I like the idea of having a folding front sight better, it sits higher that the rear rail, I don’t know if it will work or not.
Maybe using a combination of sights?
One smaller than the other?
captain steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #668
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

AKaholic #: 186633

I think the only way that's going to work is if somebody makes a dedicated folding sight that fits the dovetail. And if somebody does I'm all over it.
Cole Dedhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #669
42tula
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171999

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain steinbrenner View Post
Thanks bud.
What you guys think?
I like the idea of having a folding front sight better, it sits higher that the rear rail, I donít know if it will work or not.
Maybe using a combination of sights?
One smaller than the other?
I wonder if the Troy micro front sight would work with that picatinny rail, or how much of a height distance variation there would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Dedhand View Post
I think the only way that's going to work is if somebody makes a dedicated folding sight that fits the dovetail. And if somebody does I'm all over it.
Oh man, if they do I hope to god itís HK style vs. the A2 style. Those would sell like a mofo.
42tula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #670
TV Casualty

AKaholic #: 191661

I decided to give one a try since they are now $500. I received my 12(.5)" upper last week. First impressions were good, then I tried to install the upper...

The pivot pins went in with some force, but the alignment of the takedown pin is off once the receivers are closed together. It appears as though the rear of the upper is contacting the receiver extension thread area of the lowers preventing the upper from fully seating into the lower. This is the case with all of my lowers from three different manufacturers; lowers that have no issues with other uppers. If I install the takedown pin first the pin barely gets started into the upper and the pivot pin channel is slightly too far forward to allow pin installation.

I was able to close the bolt with dummy rounds and cartridges by barely pressing the BCG into the upper. No undue force required to eject the cartridges. So, it would at least appear that the headspace isn't tight on this one.

I am not sure if the upper is out-of-spec or if it's the finish - The finish on the upper receiver appears to be rather thick/textured. I'd rather not start by removing material, so I contacted Wolf for advice and received a fast response from Steve. He sent me a return label to send the upper to them for inspection.

ETA: The upper did not come with an additional front sight as older uppers included. Also, the muzzle brake does not have the compensating ports; only the A2 birdcage cuts.
TV Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #671
42tula
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Casualty View Post
I decided to give one a try since they are now $500. I received my 12(.5)" upper last week. First impressions were good, then I tried to install the upper...

The pivot pins went in with some force, but the alignment of the takedown pin is off once the receivers are closed together. It appears as though the rear of the upper is contacting the receiver extension thread area of the lowers preventing the upper from fully seating into the lower. This is the case with all of my lowers from three different manufacturers; lowers that have no issues with other uppers. If I install the takedown pin first the pin barely gets started into the upper and the pivot pin channel is slightly too far forward to allow pin installation.

I was able to close the bolt with dummy rounds and cartridges by barely pressing the BCG into the upper. No undue force required to eject the cartridges. So, it would at least appear that the headspace isn't tight on this one.

I am not sure if the upper is out-of-spec or if it's the finish - The finish on the upper receiver appears to be rather thick/textured. I'd rather not start by removing material, so I contacted Wolf for advice and received a fast response from Steve. He sent me a return label to send the upper to them for inspection.

ETA: The upper did not come with an additional front sight as older uppers included. Also, the muzzle brake does not have the compensating ports; only the A2 birdcage cuts.
Good to hear they are taking care of you. Hopefully they send you a completely new upper, since the one you are have is causing issues. Did you by chance get a short rail for the upper handguard? I didnít receive an additional front sight either.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #672
jking

AKaholic #: 174610

Quote:

Had the same thing with my 12" upper. The rear lug was .012" longer than a standard mill spec upper. The upper would barely fit on a standard lower and it had a .011" gap when closed. The gap was causing the bolt to not catch on a bolt catch.

Steve has it at SDS Imports and I'm currently waiting to hear back from him. Will update after I find out more.

#SCHILLIONAIRE
jking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #673
TV Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42tula View Post
Good to hear they are taking care of you. Hopefully they send you a completely new upper, since the one you are have is causing issues. Did you by chance get a short rail for the upper handguard? I didn’t receive an additional front sight either.
A rail that attaches to the two threaded ports on the top of the handguard? No, I didn't get one. I didn't know the inclusion of one was a possibility.

From what I've read, they've gone to installing a front sight post that is the correct height for AR rear sights and that is why there is no longer an additional post included. I don't know if that's true or not. I meant to ask Steve during our correspondence, but forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Had the same thing with my 12" upper. The rear lug was .012" longer than a standard mill spec upper. The upper would barely fit on a standard lower and it had a .011" gap when closed. The gap was causing the bolt to not catch on a bolt catch.

Steve has it at SDS Imports and I'm currently waiting to hear back from him. Will update after I find out more.
How long have they had your upper?

Last edited by TV Casualty; 05-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #674
frankinnola
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 174065

I may hold off on ordering a 12 inch upper . Wonder if it is a specific batch out of spec and did they go to just one retailer ?
frankinnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #675
jking

Quote:
A rail that attaches to the two threaded ports on the top of the handguard? No, I didn't get one. I didn't know the inclusion of one was a possibility.

From what I've read, they've gone to installing a front sight post that is the correct height for AR rear sights and that is why there is no longer an additional post included. I don't know if that's true or not. I meant to ask Steve during our correspondence, but forgot.

How long have they had your upper?
I had one of the first run off a hundred 12 uppers they produced. I had the upper originally on a DPMS pistol lower I built. I had problems with it not staying locked back on a empty mag then I noticed it was a little too long in the rear lug for a standard ar lower. It only got worse when I tried to put it on different AR pistol lowers.

#SCHILLIONAIRE
Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #676
darink300zx

Interesting to hear about the fitment issues. I've noticed no issues with mine on a spikes lower. Mine was one of the early 12 inch ones from Atlantic.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #677
TV Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinnola View Post
I may hold off on ordering a 12 inch upper . Wonder if it is a specific batch out of spec and did they go to just one retailer ?
Mine was purchased from AIM Surplus last week, FWIW. Bryan at AIM said none of his customers had previously reported the issue to him.

SDS just received it yesterday. Hopefully they get it turned-around quickly. I'll post updates.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #678
frankinnola
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

thanks. I see Target and Atlantic have them in stock
Old 05-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #679
42tula
Veteran Member

Get one Frank! I bought my 12” upper from AIM and haven’t had any issues. Glad I purchased one.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #680
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170271

Mine has a canted front sight, I need to send it somewhere to get it fixed,
Larryphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #681
TV Casualty

I received a UPS tracking email late yesterday. It appears that I am getting an assumedly new upper delivered today from SDS.

Contacted Wolf support Friday. Received label the same day. Shipped upper Monday. SDS received upper Tuesday. Tracking for inbound upper received on Wednesday to be delivered today.

Last edited by TV Casualty; 05-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #682
TV Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryphoto View Post
Mine has a canted front sight, I need to send it somewhere to get it fixed,
Send an email to wolfarmsservice@gmail.com.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #683
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

Default Repairs

Quote:
Send an email to wolfarmsservice@gmail.com.
Thanks, email sent, I really like this upper and I want the irons to work.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #684
TV Casualty

The upper I received today fits into all of my lowers with ease. It also chambers and ejects as smoothly as any other AR. However, it appears to have a slightly canted FSB. It looks rotated ever so slightly to the left to me.

What do you guys think?

Larry, was your FSB noticeably more canted or was your issue only evident at the range?

I won't be able to shoot it for a while, but it should still be within the one-year-satisfaction-guaranteed warranty.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #685
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Mine has a very very slight amount of cant, I was still able to zero it no problem
Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #686
nadnklipsch

AKaholic #: 191494

How do you justify dropping $500 on an upper with so many QC issues?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #687
42tula
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnklipsch View Post
How do you justify dropping $500 on an upper with so many QC issues?
Mine is running 100% with no issues what so ever. Itís cheaper than a BCM equivalent, and cheaper than a DD MK18 upper.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #688
darink300zx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42tula View Post
Mine is running 100% with no issues what so ever. Itís cheaper than a BCM equivalent, and cheaper than a DD MK18 upper.
Same here. Not all have QC issues. I'm perfectly happy with mine.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #689
bigdkf

AKaholic #: 196142

Quote:
The upper I received today fits into all of my lowers with ease. It also chambers and ejects as smoothly as any other AR. However, it appears to have a slightly canted FSB. It looks rotated ever so slightly to the left to me.

What do you guys think?

Larry, was your FSB noticeably more canted or was your issue only evident at the range?

I won't be able to shoot it for a while, but it should still be within the one-year-satisfaction-guaranteed warranty.
Get a rear sight on it and sight it in ASAP. If you have to crank windage more than you think you should have to return it. Proof is in the shooting.
bigdkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #690
jking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdkf View Post
Get a rear sight on it and sight it in ASAP. If you have to crank windage more than you think you should have to return it. Proof is in the shooting.
This ^^. I had a slight amount of cant on my FSB but it was still able to be zeroed.

Compared to some of the AK's I have it's a non issue as long as it can be zeroed.

#SCHILLIONAIRE
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #691
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

Default Cant

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Mine was canted and you could see it. Also with the magpul rear sight I put on it, cranked all the way to the left, it still would not get to zero. The red dot did zero on here, but I need irons too.

Wolf customer service worked very fast and sent me a return label less then an hour after I sent them the email. I cant wait till I get mine back, as its a great shooter besides that issue.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #692
jking

Got my 12" upper back from warranty repair for a out of spec upper today. Turnaround was quick to, only one day.

They replaced the upper receiver but it looks like they used the original barrel and piston system.

Looks good and I'm pleasantly surprised on the quality.

#SCHILLIONAIRE
Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #693
TV Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryphoto View Post
Mine was canted and you could see it. Also with the magpul rear sight I put on it, cranked all the way to the left, it still would not get to zero. The red dot did zero on here, but I need irons too.

Wolf customer service worked very fast and sent me a return label less then an hour after I sent them the email. I cant wait till I get mine back, as its a great shooter besides that issue.
Thanks. My intent was for this to be an irons-only build. So, hopefully it will zero without cranking the rear too far. I already sent the pic to Steve and expressed my concern along with the matter that I won't be able to shoot the upper for a while. He said no problem and they would address the issue if there is one at that point.

Quote:
Got my 12" upper back from warranty repair for a out of spec upper today. Turnaround was quick to, only one day.

They replaced the upper receiver but it looks like they used the original barrel and piston system.

Looks good and I'm pleasantly surprised on the quality.
I'm pretty sure they swapped the receiver on mine as well as opposed to sending a new upper. The bolt carrier has the same exact machining mark.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #694
frankinnola
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

ordered one from Target Sports and it should arrive today. ordered Magpul flip sight and SIG Ramero red dot for optics from MW and PSA lower with pistol kit with SB brace.
will see how this does....
Old 05-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #695
jking

I took the warranty repair T91 12" to the range today. I had to resight it in for a fifty yard zero.

First I sighted it in with a red Dot which went off without a hitch. I then went to sight in the backup iron sights, and even though the front sight didn't look that badly canted I had to crank the rear sight within two clicks of it's maximum travel.

That being said I got it sighted in for two hundred yards and the zero is usable but hard to see properly through the red dot.

I fired five hundred rounds through the gun without any hiccups. I used a H3 buffer after trying a H buffer, and then a H2. The H3 really smoothed out there recoil impulse. Unfortunately it made the ejection pattern kind of weak and erratic.

I then replaced the ejector spring with a BCM ejector spring upgrade kit. After that the ejection was much more consistent and forceful.

I also replaced the flash hider with the xt97 flash hider from T91tactical and also installed their Mlok handguard. Both were very significant upgrades from the stock parts.

Overall the upper runs as smooth as a m16a1 with the H3 buffer and the xt 97 flash hider. Quite frankly if wolf can get their shit together and assemble these uppers correctly, they have a major winner here.

#SCHILLIONAIRE
Old 05-19-2018, 12:23 AM   #696
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
......I fired five hundred rounds through the gun without any hiccups....
What type/brand of ammo did you use? Brass or steel or both?
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #697
jking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
What type/brand of ammo did you use? Brass or steel or both?
Lake City m193

#SCHILLIONAIRE
Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #698
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

I good mine back Monday, today fired 200rds in it, mostly 62gr Silver Bear and about 60 M193 and M855, ran 100% and the cant is gone.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #699
RAMRODtheMASTER

AKaholic #: 159820

Finally got to run a couple hundred through my 12". Ran flawless. Gas block has like a degree of cant but wanted to wait and see if it did but it didn't affect function or dialing in the windage so gonna hold onto it.
RAMRODtheMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #700
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMRODtheMASTER View Post
Finally got to run a couple hundred through my 12". Ran flawless. Gas block has like a degree of cant but wanted to wait and see if it did but it didn't affect function or dialing in the windage so gonna hold onto it.
I hope you fed her wolf gold so she would feel right at home??
Trvrswsr1234 is online now   Reply With Quote