Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Notices

Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954
Default 127 Years

And still getting it done, taken a few days ago somewhere in syria, In the hands of Russian troops.

"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Limited04
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183528

Nice! there are pictures of them with night vision scopes in Donetsk Ukraine also by Militia.

I watched a powerful documentary on Amazon prime i believe last night on the Beslan School number 1 school take over, several militia in the town had PU scoped 91/30's

They will still reach out and touch someone. Good enough for the Nazis is good enough for IS
Old 05-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
streetfighters

AKaholic #: 168255

Fine rifles indeed.
streetfighters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

And who says they are obsolete?

Last edited by Bandy; 05-16-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
BorisBadenov

AKaholic #: 180489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
And still getting it done, taken a few days ago somewhere in syria, In the hands of Russian troops.
Hate to burst any bubbles, but after some google-fu, this image was not taken a few days ago. It's all over Pinterest, Reddit, and been widely used across the net for Russian camo stores too. It appears to have been taken 2 years ago and supposedly posted for the first-time in an online article dated July 9, 2016.

https://www.pentapostagma.gr/2016/07...64;η.html

Also, from reading some tweets a day or two after this, it seems these Russian soldiers captured this Mosin from ISIS at Palmyra. So the Ruskies were not using it, but ISIS was.

However, your point is still valid that - the Mosin *is* still in combat today (even if not on the side you might expect it to be). Can't beat a classic!

On another note - I notice the scope is turned 90 degrees counterclockwise so the knobs are on the left and top instead of the top and right. Interesting.
BorisBadenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
EarlieKyler
CEO Dan Halen Sheet Rock Int.

AKaholic #: 164220

They are great rifles, picked for accuracy and performance at the factory I’m not surprised a bit they still are around in conflicts
Old 05-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
skillet24

AKaholic #: 191989

What's impressive to me is that 7.62x54r is still in military use 120+ years after its creation. It's still a very good round. Damn shame we cant import more of it.
skillet24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

AKaholic #: 178465

its amazing how a trained person can it anything with a 3.5x pu scope. especially at long range.
timhogan427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhogan427 View Post
its amazing how a trained person can it anything with a 3.5x pu scope. especially at long range.
You should read this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Easter...tag=files05-20

Sepp Allerberger, Germany's #2 sniper of WW2, he used a captured Mosin Nagant, absolutely amazing read, one of my favorite books.... shit I'm gonna start reading it again
Old 06-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

I know that things evolve and technology moves forward, but I miss wood and steel.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
Cowbilly
Contributor

AKaholic #: 4005

I think this is rifle romantics at its best-and it is just my .02.

If I had to pick between a K98, VZ, M38 M48, GEW 98, 96 (pick your flavor), Lee Enfield (pick your flavor), 1903 or A3, P14 or P17, Arisaka (pick a year or type), Carcano, Mannlicher, Lebel, MAS 36/38, or a Mosin. Without a doubt the, Mosin would be my last pick. The Russian Mosin sucks in every way except for the original cost per unit compared to the others and I collect and shoot them (very often). Everything about it is mediocre at its best (except for the Fin M27,28,39 that is as good as a standard Mosin can get which is still a little meh).

Shoot a M91/30 for a few hours then grab an Enfield or a Mauser, the difference is pretty remarkable.

I like iron and wood rifles, the Mosin is really the last affordable collectable surplus (if you can call one a collectable with the millions made) going and it is going fast. For under $250 though, the Russian Mosin still a good buy, if you can find it in that range. Like I said, I collect the damn things so don't beat me up too bad.
Cowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

That's why I bought several Mosins. I was late to the game and missed out on the wonderful American, French, Swiss, British etc. For the paltry price I paid These Mosins and ammunition are a great value. Would I trade my M-39 for a nice 03/A3? You bet, in a heartbeat. You just play the hand your'e dealt I guess. I have 3 Mosins and 3 full crates of ammo and less than a grand in the whole pile. It has also gone way up in value.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Conn. AK
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbilly View Post
I think this is rifle romantics at its best-and it is just my .02.

If I had to pick between a K98, VZ, M38 M48, GEW 98, 96 (pick your flavor), Lee Enfield (pick your flavor), 1903 or A3, P14 or P17, Arisaka (pick a year or type), Carcano, Mannlicher, Lebel, MAS 36/38, or a Mosin. Without a doubt the, Mosin would be my last pick. The Russian Mosin sucks in every way except for the original cost per unit compared to the others and I collect and shoot them (very often). Everything about it is mediocre at its best (except for the Fin M27,28,39 that is as good as a standard Mosin can get which is still a little meh).

Shoot a M91/30 for a few hours then grab an Enfield or a Mauser, the difference is pretty remarkable.

I like iron and wood rifles, the Mosin is really the last affordable collectable surplus (if you can call one a collectable with the millions made) going and it is going fast. For under $250 though, the Russian Mosin still a good buy, if you can find it in that range. Like I said, I collect the damn things so don't beat me up too bad.
Love the Mosin, too, but the K98 and 1903.........awesome. I never had the opportunity to play with the Enfield, but I've heard they're very accurate.
Conn. AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:25 AM   #14
remauto1187
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176620
Location: INDIANA (formerly Illinois) Cant imagine why I left there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet24 View Post
What's impressive to me is that 7.62x54r is still in military use 120+ years after its creation. It's still a very good round. Damn shame we cant import more of it.
Thats no shit! I got 3 cases out of the last shipment that came to the U.S. in the spring of 2016 (?) Ill take more even though ive got 15 cans stacked. Ive got mosins and a VEPR to feed.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhogan427 View Post
They aren't using it in Bench Rest Comp. but it's got to be tough.......
Not denigrating the round or the gun,BUT,that's a pretty decent size target they are after, & that round has to hit HARD ,
I wouldn't want to be on the receivin' end of it,
that's for sure,

Did you see how clean that rifle is? Somebody was taking good care of it.......
Too bad the russians didn't get thier hands on the isis sniper & any spotters......or did they?
And Do NO Wrong:
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:16 AM   #16
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Unlike our government I bet the Russian government will save and return it home to the Motherland where it belongs!!
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote