Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > RPKs and RPDs

Notices

Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
es
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185924
Default KVAR has a factory RPK-203 on GB

Too rich for my blood and not a gotta-have item for me, but I thought I'd post it in case anyone was not aware already. Super cool, I wonder how many they have and where they've been hiding them.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769062621
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Mclaughlin

AKaholic #: 186391

Should have posted this in Rifle Discussion so more people would see post

Not even going to guess what this will sell for
Mclaughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaughlin View Post
Should have posted this in Rifle Discussion so more people would see post

Not even going to guess what this will sell for
Well, it is an RPK...
esh21167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
es
Curio & Relic

Yeah, that was my thinking--RPK in the RPK section. I know general rifles gets more traffic, but it'll also get buried more quickly. I would like to know when these came in; wouldn't it be nice if Molot sanctions were removed and these started being imported by the boatload...
Old 05-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

Looks like it came in with the same batch of FMs right before the sanctions hit.

Kind of an odd duck that it has the modern touches like dimpled barrel components and the M type side folder, but it's using the old style bullet guide and no turning guide pin...

*Edit* it also has a '74 style bipod.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

I could only find this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765665369

Molot-Oruzhie Vepr-1V RPK / AK74
$1,725.00

Mishaco put up a nice one for sale:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/764513660
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
es
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
Looks like it came in with the same batch of FMs right before the sanctions hit.

Kind of an odd duck that it has the modern touches like dimpled barrel components and the M type side folder, but it's using the old style bullet guide and no turning guide pin...

*Edit* it also has a '74 style bipod.
The bolt turning difference is odd, but the rest of that stuff (bipod included) is standard for the modern 7.62 rpk-203
Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
chknfkr

It's the mix of old and new that makes me think this isn't actually a factory built gun.

The dimples belong there, the M folder belongs there. It should have a turning guide pin and the corresponding bullet guide, it does not.

Bipod is hit or miss. I see some examples of the RPK-203 with '74 style bipods, as well as traditional RPK bipods.

I'd like to see some more of the gun before jumping to any conclusions.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
es
Curio & Relic

Quote:
It's the mix of old and new that makes me think this isn't actually a factory built gun.

The dimples belong there, the M folder belongs there. It should have a turning guide pin and the corresponding bullet guide, it does not.

Bipod is hit or miss. I see some examples of the RPK-203 with '74 style bipods, as well as traditional RPK bipods.

I'd like to see some more of the gun before jumping to any conclusions.
Well it’s advertised as all Russian factory, and I’m inclined to believe that on the basis that the components are dimpled onto the barrel, meaning that the barrel assembly is Russian. How much sense would it make to snag a barrel assembly off a rpk-203 to put it on another? And if they had access to barrel assemblies, you’d think they’d get a whole bunch and sell them like they used to with the rpk-74 assemblies.
If io brought in the 1V it makes sense that they could bring these in as-is. The receiver looks like a legit vepr receiver, it’s possible these were just built to take an older style turning guide vs the hardened pin. Who knows, minor variations during AK production—especially Russian—are hardly a new thing though. Tantal’s site shows the variation that has occurred throughout the history of 74 and 100 series production. Not saying it isn’t odd, just that the absence of the turning pin doesn’t preclude it from being a factory built rifle. Definitely an interesting rifle in any case, hopefully kvar will provide some more info.

Last edited by es; 05-05-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Themagician1999
Contributor

AKaholic #: 166707

Holy crap, this things up to $3500 and there’s still 3 days left on the auction. I thought it would go for mid to high two’s, shows you what I know.
Themagician1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #11
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Its at 3800 now. No thanks, I'd rather put the money towards another Corvette.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Guess now we know what was coming from Molot to the US before the sanctions hit...
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
eli2325
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 178014

Under an hour to go and over $4,000 now.
eli2325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
AyKay
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157797

Not worth the price.

"Spartan's don't die, we just regroup in hell."

III%er.
AyKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #15
eli2325
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyKay View Post
Not worth the price.
If they had posted better pictures, I bet it would have sold for more. For what it was, K-Var failed from a presentation aspect. I mean for that kinda dough, no pics of the other side of the receiver or markings for that matter...
eli2325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #16
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2325 View Post
If they had posted better pictures, I bet it would have sold for more. For what it was, K-Var failed from a presentation aspect. I mean for that kinda dough, no pics of the other side of the receiver or markings for that matter...
All the more reason I doubt it is what they claim it to be.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Imagine if they imported these in bulk like it was rumored they were going to, instead they dicked around and imported a bunch of weird crap, we will never see another Russian made AK imported, so it is what it is now.

The greatest Molot import we got belongs to I.O of all people with their RPK-201.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #18
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
Imagine if they imported these in bulk like it was rumored they were going to, instead they dicked around and imported a bunch of weird crap, we will never see another Russian made AK imported, so it is what it is now.

The greatest Molot import we got belongs to I.O of all people with their RPK-201.
Meh, I'm glad the 16" FMs made it here before a real RPK. Unlike with a 23 inch barreled rifle, they have some real utility for most people

Curious which one would have sold better. I'd put my money on the 16 inchers.

What they really should have gotten from Molot was AKMs.
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #19
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
A few of us took the plunge and converted them to proper RPK-74Ms.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #20
es
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post

What they really should have gotten from Molot was AKMs.
Molot never made akm’s, just refurbed some existing rifles (for the civvy market, I believe). They still had a third hole so they wouldn’t have been importable.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #21
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

With my love of all things RPK, that 203 would have made me pretty jelous except for a couple things. For one, it was in 7.62x39 and for a modern RPK, I would have preferred 5.45x39, especially for that kind of money. Second, my trusty old VEPR 1V. While not 100% sure about it when i got it NIB from Royal Tiger back in 2013, the thing has really grown on me over the years to the point it is in my Top 5 favorite AK types now. Also RT had original 45 rd .223 mags for it too, so at least i have the right stuff. True, I'd prefer it in 5.45x39 too, but for the $950 it cost me, not complaining. Plus i got another Vector mfg RPK74 last year thanks to a member here, so i have my 5.45 RPK anyway.
Still is a cool rifle, but my AES10B is also cool and a factory built 7.62x39 RPK.

Legion-USA has helped me scratch the Russian itch further. I now have their fixed stock RPK built from a 1st year production kit (1961), and a neat RPKS with the early style folding assembly (1971 kit).
I know these are on US receivers and have US barrels, but they are still good rifles and very well assembled.
With no more Molot or Izhmash rifles coming in, its best to take what we can find now.

I belive the AKM rifles that Legion-USA has been building come from those Molot referbished rifles. This would explain why everything is in excellent condition, numbers match, and why the FA trip has been machined off the bolt carrier and why they come with a Molot factory semi-only FCG.

Speaking of Molot, they confirmed last year on their Facebook and youtube channel that yes indeed they were working on a batch of VEPRs with 23" barrel and RPK-M style folding stock. They had been planning to send the first batch over later that summer; not long after the snaction came down actually.
So probably that rifle on GB was a pre-production example from a small batch Molot sent to FIME to use as a sample and to show at events.
Also worth pointing out that the bipod was most likely installed here. The ATF/Customs gets butt hurt when firearms like the RPK are imported with a fixed bipod. This is why both the AES10B and VEPR 1V came in without one installed but in a separate shipping box, and then the importer installed it here in the USA.
If you look at the K-Var RPK-203, i bet while the gas block and cleaning rod ring are dimpled on, that the FSB is pinned on. Am I right? or is it dimpled too?

I surely miss Molot and Izhmash rifles, but at least we did get them for several years, and they were actually imported in pretty big numbers.
More of those in the USA than many other imports.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #22
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
With my love of all things RPK, that 203 would have made me pretty jelous except for a couple things. For one, it was in 7.62x39 and for a modern RPK, I would have preferred 5.45x39, especially for that kind of money. Second, my trusty old VEPR 1V. While not 100% sure about it when i got it NIB from Royal Tiger back in 2013, the thing has really grown on me over the years to the point it is in my Top 5 favorite AK types now. Also RT had original 45 rd .223 mags for it too, so at least i have the right stuff. True, I'd prefer it in 5.45x39 too, but for the $950 it cost me, not complaining. Plus i got another Vector mfg RPK74 last year thanks to a member here, so i have my 5.45 RPK anyway.
Still is a cool rifle, but my AES10B is also cool and a factory built 7.62x39 RPK.

Legion-USA has helped me scratch the Russian itch further. I now have their fixed stock RPK built from a 1st year production kit (1961), and a neat RPKS with the early style folding assembly (1971 kit).
I know these are on US receivers and have US barrels, but they are still good rifles and very well assembled.
With no more Molot or Izhmash rifles coming in, its best to take what we can find now.

I belive the AKM rifles that Legion-USA has been building come from those Molot referbished rifles. This would explain why everything is in excellent condition, numbers match, and why the FA trip has been machined off the bolt carrier and why they come with a Molot factory semi-only FCG.

Speaking of Molot, they confirmed last year on their Facebook and youtube channel that yes indeed they were working on a batch of VEPRs with 23" barrel and RPK-M style folding stock. They had been planning to send the first batch over later that summer; not long after the snaction came down actually.
So probably that rifle on GB was a pre-production example from a small batch Molot sent to FIME to use as a sample and to show at events.
Also worth pointing out that the bipod was most likely installed here. The ATF/Customs gets butt hurt when firearms like the RPK are imported with a fixed bipod. This is why both the AES10B and VEPR 1V came in without one installed but in a separate shipping box, and then the importer installed it here in the USA.
If you look at the K-Var RPK-203, i bet while the gas block and cleaning rod ring are dimpled on, that the FSB is pinned on. Am I right? or is it dimpled too?

I surely miss Molot and Izhmash rifles, but at least we did get them for several years, and they were actually imported in pretty big numbers.
More of those in the USA than many other imports.
All good points Mishaco.

One thing though, most RPK-74M examples I've seen, even outside the US, have pinned front sight blocks rather than dimples. I have always assumed that is to service the bipod.

Even so, I'd not be surprised to find out they are installed state side.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #23
es
Curio & Relic

Quote:
All good points Mishaco.

One thing though, most RPK-74M examples I've seen, even outside the US, have pinned front sight blocks rather than dimples. I have always assumed that is to service the bipod.

Even so, I'd not be surprised to find out they are installed state side.
I’ve noticed this as well, at least the front is pinned (for detent retention) and the rear Has a single set of dimples
Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Yep, kind of my point. People were saying it had dimpled barrel parts, and i was figuring the FSB at least was pinned.
This means someone really couldn't know if it was altered here or not to install the bipod, hence why the bipod itself might not be 100% the correct variant...or might be but if installed here, might be a couple minor things.

I am surprised Molot didn't update the bipod collar either. You'd think they would have gone to something at least semi-quick detachable in the 1990s.
I mean FN did this with the FAL's bipod, and IMI did for the Galil ARM so...yeah.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #25
fearrainsdown

AKaholic #: 24021

Here are a couple pics of a real RPK203 dated 2004.
Just to muddy the waters a little more...
Like the Kvar one and the Royal Tiger one, the GB and cleaning rod retainer are dimpled. The front sight, however, has one pin and one dimple.
This 203 has a RPK74 style bipod, and optics rail too.
I noticed that there is no bolt-turn rivet, similar to the FM veprs.
If you look closely you can see the molot shield and third FCG pin.

Just noticing that it's not super easy too see the FSB dimple or the shield logo in these downsized pics. May have to post a higher res one. Pretty sure these are both the same rifle with different HG and PG.

Last edited by fearrainsdown; 05-21-2018 at 10:13 PM.
fearrainsdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #26
fearrainsdown

AKaholic #: 24021

fearrainsdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #27
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

kinda on the subject, but has zastava produced a 223 rpk that takes ar mags?, or is there not enough interest in that type of rifle?
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #28
es
Curio & Relic

No, I don’t think they’ve ever produced an rpk with an adapter, but they did produce the m82 rpk in 5.56–I’m actually gonna be building one sometime soonish. I’ve got a video saved somewhere of zastava showroom and they did produce a small handful of guns with the integral adapter (all presumably for civilian market); the M85NP and m90np that we got over here, as well as a pistol and rifle version of the m21 with the adapter. I’ll try to start a thread with some pics and video of it later if I remember.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #29
mishaco
Curio & Relic

A true semi-auto but still pretty milspec M21 would be interesting. I'd probably opt in for one.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #30
dtownmj

AKaholic #: 182634

theres one listed on armslist, but i wonder if this is a scam... $2300

https://www.armslist.com/posts/83612...pk-fm-rpk47-33
dtownmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #31
Noodle_2000

AKaholic #: 192156

There's another one up :

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773654370

4k RPK... insane
Noodle_2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #32
ROFLITZChano

AKaholic #: 193411

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownmj View Post
theres one listed on armslist, but i wonder if this is a scam... $2300

https://www.armslist.com/posts/83612...pk-fm-rpk47-33
It's a scam. Copy and paste of exactly what Kvar posted.
ROFLITZChano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
ajbest

AKaholic #: 188056

Ahhh, what could have been!! If I see an RPK-74 I may take a stab at one but bet these would go even higher. Such a travesty if you think about it. I was really looking forward to these coming in but they took way too much time to roll out despite a lot of demand (at least on this site - even for a small, special project they would have printed money)...
ajbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #34
Mclaughlin

AKaholic #: 186391

Now on for the 2nd one listed

Lets keep a tally on the listing trend

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773654370
Mclaughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #35
eli2325
Veteran Member