Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920
Default Just picked up my ACE.

Honestly it seems like the fit and finish is a little step up from my 39 ace.

Last edited by FullAssault; 07-17-2017 at 06:32 PM.
FullAssault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
bigbob

AKaholic #: 171051

Where'd you pick it from. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but they seem difficult to locate right now.
bigbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
Where'd you pick it from. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but they seem difficult to locate right now.
I actually bought it a few weeks ago from GB, just got back in town to pick it up.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
swolff

AKaholic #: 180730

There are tons of them on GB
swolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
User47

AKaholic #: 192924

Bad ass.
Very nice!
User47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

I'm hard, looking forward to the review
Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
I'm hard, looking forward to the review
Will try to get it to the range soon, just drove nonstop from Washington to VA, still recovering bit. a few thing I noticed is the top rail is more beefy, no cut outs and full bars. The rear sight lines up perfectly with the rail. The bolt release is a nice touch. The poly seems a bit different then the 39 version. The stock fits tighter. I also noticed the front sight is already screwed out and locktighted. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullAssault View Post
Will try to get it to the range soon, just drove nonstop from Washington to VA, still recovering bit. a few thing I noticed is the top rail is more beefy, no cut outs and full bars. The rear sight lines up perfectly with the rail. The bolt release is a nice touch. The poly seems a bit different then the 39 version. The stock fits tighter. I also noticed the front sight is already screwed out and locktighted. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
I'm interested in how the plastic is different, the rail, and the front sight post, let us know how it goes! That would be outstanding if it was zeroed out of the box
Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
I'm interested in how the plastic is different, the rail, and the front sight post, let us know how it goes! That would be outstanding if it was zeroed out of the box
seems the sights are now factory zeroed or maybe I just got lucky. I laser bore sighted it and it was dead on with the BS at a 100yds. The poly is darker and has a different texture, here are a few pics

Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

The loctite is a good idea, I may try that.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Why the loctite? Factory zero and that's it?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #12
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Got mine zeroed, but I can see it preventing the wiggle in the sight post. It's worth the try to see what it does.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #13
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

There is zero play in the front sight but it still can be adjusted. The poly feels more like an AUG stock and less like the poly used in a Tavor if that makes sense. The rail covers and stock have much less play. Hopefully I can get it to the range sometime soon
Old 07-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #14
Tankboy
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 183589

Nice, looks pretty good.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
The rail covers and stock have much less play. Hopefully I can get it to the range sometime soon
Sounds like the 5.56 did benefit from entering the market late, makes me wonder why the 7.62x39 rifles had play in the rail covers, maybe that along with the first generation top rail that was open was a sign of them building the 7.62x39's while in the process of transitioning to different parts or maybe they threw spare parts laying around on them where the 5.56 was already past that and good to go with new everything

...typing out loud
Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
There is zero play in the front sight but it still can be adjusted. The poly feels more like an AUG stock and less like the poly used in a Tavor if that makes sense. The rail covers and stock have much less play. Hopefully I can get it to the range sometime soon
Didn't like the rail covers at all took them off as soon as I took it out of the box and put UTG covers on, much better feel. Stock was ok , could live with it but decided XLR was a lot better set up. Glad to hear they improved that with your new one. Enjoy, let us know how she shoots.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:11 AM   #17
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

I just noticed something else about the 556 ACE, it has two pins holding the rear stock.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #18
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Im not going to ask how much you take home a year but it must be pretty good after seeing your collection over the years on the files.

But I just don't see a $1,800 gun when i look at the Ace line.
Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #19
Returned

AKaholic #: 189425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
Im not going to ask how much you take home a year but it must be pretty good after seeing your collection over the years on the files.

But I just don't see a $1,800 gun when i look at the Ace line.
It isn't to be sure. I know I overpaid. They are "nice", but they have some critical "QC" flaws which show through. It is interesting to note that the 308 and now the 556 show some higher QC as both those lines are technically born of the production guns that are sold to other nations rather than the 762 one was kind of one off just for the civilian market. I don't know of any nation actually using it.

Honestly, dollar for dollar a PSA AR-10 for 600 bucks would out perform and out function and out shoot the 308 ACE and the same holds true for the 556 with several 556 AKs out-performing it as well.

Looking back, I consider it an impulse buy on my part and a "fun gun" but nothing more. I'd rather have an AR-10, dollars to donuts a QUALITY AMD-65 will perform as well as the 762 ACE. That hurts right in the pocket-book.

Dies irę, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustię, dies calamitatis et miserię, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulę et turbinis, dies tubę et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos
Returned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #20
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returned View Post
It isn't to be sure. I know I overpaid. They are "nice", but they have some critical "QC" flaws which show through. It is interesting to note that the 308 and now the 556 show some higher QC as both those lines are technically born of the production guns that are sold to other nations rather than the 762 one was kind of one off just for the civilian market. I don't know of any nation actually using it.
Ummm, the only gun that is specifically designed for the US market is the .308 Galil ACE that uses AR mags, it's military version uses standard 7.62 Galil mags, everything else to include the AR magazine 5.56 model is based on a military model
Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #21
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Quote:

Honestly, dollar for dollar a PSA AR-10 for 600 bucks would out perform and out function and out shoot the 308 ACE and the same holds true for the 556 with several 556 AKs out-performing it as well

Looking back, I consider it an impulse buy on my part and a "fun gun" but nothing more. I'd rather have an AR-10, dollars to donuts a QUALITY AMD-65 will perform as well as the 762 ACE. That hurts right in the pocket-book.
I think you have your facts mixed up friend, the ACE was designed from the ground up for 7.62x39 and for military production. Mexico, Chile, Columbia, Ukraine, and even Vietnam totally buying in and building Aces in house with their own tooling and factory.

Couldn't agree more.
Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
hoevito
Superhero

AKaholic #: 163060

I like it...seems like a cool gun but definitely a bit expensive for what it is IMO. I'm not going to debate it's value/usefulness vs a cheaper AR...but I would be interested in hearing how it compares to another rifle squarely in it's price point...the Bren 805.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #23
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Big reason long term why I got this: I'm worried it'll go the way of the Galil and Valmets

Can a WASR do the same as a Valmet or Galil ACE? Sure it can, for way cheaper too! But am I regretting not getting a WASR 20+ years ago?

I hope the popularity picks up but that's a long shot, these will end up being collectors
Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Big reason long term why I got this: I'm worried it'll go the way of the Galil and Valmets

Can a WASR do the same as a Valmet or Galil ACE? Sure it can, for way cheaper too! But am I regretting not getting a WASR 20+ years ago?

I hope the popularity picks up but that's a long shot, these will end up being collectors
Nailed it right there MAK...totally agree.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #25
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:

Honestly, dollar for dollar a PSA AR-10 for 600 bucks would out perform and out function and out shoot the 308 ACE and the same holds true for the 556 with several 556 AKs out-performing it as well.

can't speak for the 308 galil or $600 PSA AR 10 but can say the x39 ACE beats the hell out of my FEG built AKs. It's on par with my sam7 for accuracy and has a better fit & finish. About the only thing that comes close to the fit and finish of the ace are FB built AKs. The 556 is already looking like it's a step up from the x39.