Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #36
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
I always recommend Ballistic advantage for a good medium end rifle build. They're fair priced, they will pin on a front sight or LoPro gas block to any barrel for you. And they carry a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee. They do 416r stainless barrels in .223wylde, and 4150 CMV Nitride (QPQ=Nitride or melonite) barrels with 5.56 chambers. Not CHF Magic but they're of good quality and honestly will last a very long time. You get what you pay for with Ballistic advantage IMO. They offer many profiles and lengths, as well as some of their own profiles. Their BA Hanson profile is very nice and balances fairly well.

They're not CHF but worth a look for what they cost and what you get.

My Daniel Defense Nitride CHF S2W Barrel is a good shooter too though. I'm not a big fan of chrome lining on an AR15 barrel in most cases. Nitride/QPQ/Melonite, or whatever you want to call it is superior in my opinion. My DDM4V5 (chrome lined govt profile) shoots pretty well too but not as good as the S2W.
I use Ballistic Advantage for my gas blocks and gas tubes. Good company. The 18 inch S2W Nitride is the Daniel Defense barrel I'm considering.
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #37
hoevito
Superhero
 
hoevito's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163060
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
I use Ballistic Advantage for my gas blocks and gas tubes. Good company. The 18 inch S2W Nitride is the Daniel Defense barrel I'm considering.
Ballistic Advantage and Faxon are two excellent choices for the money, and both would make good barrels for general purpose builds that will be very accurate as well. The QPQ barrels have a much nicer exterior finish vs. phosphated barrels and clean up MUCH easier, and are seemingly immune from corrosion and rust in my experience.

I've used Green Mountain, PSA Premium(FN CHF), Ballistic Advantage, Blackhole Weaponry, Faxon, LaRue, and KAK branded barrels in personal builds I've done. All make good stuff and each has it's own merits or advantages over the others. I see Faxon and BA being pretty much equals all things considered, both would be worthy alternatives for your build. The QPQ barrels offer the best balance between accuracy and longevity, and they require less maintanence as a nice little added bonus...basically they're pretty good at everything, and bad at nothing.
__________________
AR's and AK's go together like ass and titties...having one or the other is ok, but true gentlemen prefer them both.
hoevito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #38
NMGuy
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 182584
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
I use Ballistic Advantage for my gas blocks and gas tubes. Good company. The 18 inch S2W Nitride is the Daniel Defense barrel I'm considering.
It's heavy, but still balances fairly well. Mine is the 16" in 6.8 SPC. The whole rifle weighs the same as my LWRC ICSPR but balances much better. Shoots MOA all day long right off the get go. Only problem is I'm having trouble running it suppressed (due to the bigger 6.8 cartridge and bore I'm assuming) so it has to get an adjustable gas block now. It's a very gassy cartridge suppressed.

Other than that it's probably my favorite barrel outside of the LWRC deep spiral fluted heavy barrels. I'd suggest a clamp on gas block or sending the barrel in to be dimpled and cross pinned. It has no dimples put in it from the factory. Those clamp on gas blocks are actually very tough. In testing the barrel turned in the barrel extension and the index pin tore up the upper before the gas block rotated or moved. Good enough for me. I think the original MK12's had clamp on gas blocks.

Clamp on gas blocks are also supposedly better for Barrel harmonics too. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Just what I've been told. Rifle shoots great though and that's what I'm using.
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #39
Rob Ski
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 173263
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoevito View Post
Ballistic Advantage and Faxon are two excellent choices for the money, and both would make good barrels for general purpose builds that will be very accurate as well.
I just put in BA barrel on my AR10 after shooting out my Black Hole weaponry barrel, so we will see how they compare. I have never used them before, so this is my first run with Ballistic Advantage.
__________________
-Rob Ski
AKOUL 47-74
Rob Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #40
Bob M
Member
 
AKaholic #: 165120
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Monroe GA
Posts: 452
Default

I have the Ballistic Advantage Performance-series 16-inch 5.56 Hanson barrel. It's a light weight (not pencil) barrel built on a Aero M4E1 upper, Aero lower, their 12" M-Lok handguard and with Aero flip up sights. Only had a chance to shoot it at a 25 yard range to sight it in but it lives up to their guarantee of sub-moa so far! Can't say enough good things about Aero products!

I also have the PSA 16" CHF light weight barrel that's a tack driver at 100yds with a PA red dot!
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #41
hoevito
Superhero
 
hoevito's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163060
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ski View Post
I just put in BA barrel on my AR10 after shooting out my Black Hole weaponry barrel, so we will see how they compare. I have never used them before, so this is my first run with Ballistic Advantage.

Curious...how many rounds did the Black Hole Weaponry barrel see before needing to be replaced?

Totally off topic, but I wish there was a decent option out there for polygonal CHF nitrided rifle barrels.
__________________
AR's and AK's go together like ass and titties...having one or the other is ok, but true gentlemen prefer them both.
hoevito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #42
Rob Ski
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 173263
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoevito View Post
Curious...how many rounds did the Black Hole Weaponry barrel see before needing to be replaced?

Totally off topic, but I wish there was a decent option out there for polygonal CHF nitrided rifle barrels.
3224 rds. Barrel open up now to around 1.5 - 2 MOA. It was solid .65 - .75 MOA before. Still good for some basic applications...
__________________
-Rob Ski
AKOUL 47-74
Rob Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #43
hoevito
Superhero
 
hoevito's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163060
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ski View Post
3224 rds. Barrel open up now to around 1.5 - 2 MOA. It was solid .65 - .75 MOA before. Still good for some basic applications...
Cool, thanks for sharing Rob.
__________________
AR's and AK's go together like ass and titties...having one or the other is ok, but true gentlemen prefer them both.
hoevito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #44
hamdizle
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 78202
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: minneapolis, minnesota usa
Posts: 558
Default

I have 4 cfh psa barrels in different rifles. All shoot 2 moa or better. I also have a ballistic advantage spr 18" 416r. and its .75" moa...I think the psa is by far the best deal out there. Especially for a truck gun or fighting rifle. However, I will look at BA for my next build.
hamdizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #45
Rob Ski
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 173263
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoevito View Post
Cool, thanks for sharing Rob.
No problem. I'm logging all rounds for BA too. So far, 110rds and counting...
__________________
-Rob Ski
AKOUL 47-74
Rob Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #46
phixion
Member
 
AKaholic #: 182283
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: here
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
There is a reason PSA CHF barrels are cheaper. They are held to a looser quality control specification than others. PSA markets and sells what other manufacturers reject due to quality and looser tolerances.
Proof? Don't worry, I'll wait.

* Repost of mine from another forum since I don't feel like typing anything new.

Maybe some companies have the means/ability to acquire discounts due to purchasing in volume thus passing the savings onto consumers.

Maybe some companies utilize a loss leader pricing strategy; selling product at or below cost hoping to attract new customers and stimulate sales of other, more profitable products.

Maybe some companies focus on 'smaller profit, greater volume'. Fast nickel beats a slow dime, and all.

Maybe other companies simply charge more for the same or similar product due to their purchase price and ultimate profit margin. Low volume, high margin.

And the list could continue..

Blah blah.. but you're probably right; they buy and sell manufacturer rejects.

Recently the "reject" company offered a G19 Gen4 w/ Ameriglo ProGlo night sights & (20) Magpul PMAG 15 GL9 for $549.99. + shipping. At that price, I hope those who purchased that deal realize they either bought a reject Glock or some blem PMAGS.

The fact is this: the only measurable difference between PSA CHF barrels vs others is the gas port diameter. But to me, that's a wash as MANY companies overgas their barrels to include PSA and gasp..even Noveske.

Between PSA and Noveske, with regards to being overgassed, venture a guess as to which company gets bashed and which one gets a pass.

At the end of the day, there are MANY reasons why PSA CHF barrels can be sold at a cheaper price than some other companies, none of which suggest rejects or loose tolerances.
phixion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 AM   #47
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor
 
AKaholic #: 157229
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Deland, Florida.
Posts: 2,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dy33 View Post
PSA has a 14.7" mid-length with FN barrel upper:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ng-handle.html

I just ordered this to change out my 18" hbar that I panic bought last year.. I just wanted something lighter without sights so my wife can pick it up and use the optic without the sites being a distraction. Having a ready gun that only I'm comfortable with is rather pointless.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...on-bcg-ch.html
__________________
http://stores.csspecs.com/
csspecs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #48
Cornpone
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 181728
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Cornfield
Posts: 3,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phixion View Post
Proof? Don't worry, I'll wait.

* Repost of mine from another forum since I don't feel like typing anything new.

Maybe some companies have the means/ability to acquire discounts due to purchasing in volume thus passing the savings onto consumers.

Maybe some companies utilize a loss leader pricing strategy; selling product at or below cost hoping to attract new customers and stimulate sales of other, more profitable products.

Maybe some companies focus on 'smaller profit, greater volume'. Fast nickel beats a slow dime, and all.

Maybe other companies simply charge more for the same or similar product due to their purchase price and ultimate profit margin. Low volume, high margin.

And the list could continue..

Blah blah.. but you're probably right; they buy and sell manufacturer rejects.

Recently the "reject" company offered a G19 Gen4 w/ Ameriglo ProGlo night sights & (20) Magpul PMAG 15 GL9 for $549.99. + shipping. At that price, I hope those who purchased that deal realize they either bought a reject Glock or some blem PMAGS.

The fact is this: the only measurable difference between PSA CHF barrels vs others is the gas port diameter. But to me, that's a wash as MANY companies overgas their barrels to include PSA and gasp..even Noveske.

Between PSA and Noveske, with regards to being overgassed, venture a guess as to which company gets bashed and which one gets a pass.

At the end of the day, there are MANY reasons why PSA CHF barrels can be sold at a cheaper price than some other companies, none of which suggest rejects or loose tolerances.
No the fact is you're wrong and a moron. The PSA barrels are cheaper because they are made to a different spec. All FN CHF AR barrels are not the same and even FN has said so.

You're one of those morons that runs around telling everyone that all AR parts are made by a handful of companies and the only difference is the name.
Fucktards like you do this to justify being a cheap ass and to justify buying cheap junk parts.

I've toured the FN plant several times and I know people who work their and a few who even run the line those barrels are on. Oh and once again, FN has stated they make the barrels to the customers specs. BCM has a set of specs which are different from PSA but hey all you barfcom fags keep parroting parts are parts just do it amongst yourself because people on the forums know better. Oh and where's your proof ? Mine is out there on the web all over the place. Yours is just you being a dick and saying it's fact
Cornpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #49
Justice06RR
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 168431
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central FL
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
IMHO, you're paying more for the name and bragging rights. Unlike with lowers, at the range is going to know or be instantly impressed that you have a Noveske branded barrel on your AR unless you're going to go around mentioning it to everyone. It's kind of like paying $100-$200 for a Spikes stripped lower when you can get a get the same lower branded by another company for half the price.
+1000

OP you're getting hung up on the name brand here. They will essentially have the same functionality overall. Its like choosing between a Honda and Mercedes.

One thing to remember is that you can also quality check the barrel yourself upon receipt. Measure it and test fire for your peace of mind. If the PSA barrel works fine, then you are good to go.

Save the Noveske barrel for a more higher-end build.
Justice06RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #50
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice06RR View Post

Save the Noveske barrel for a more higher-end build.
I'm doing just that!
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #51
phixion
Member
 
AKaholic #: 182283
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: here
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpone View Post
No the fact is you're wrong and a moron. The PSA barrels are cheaper because they are made to a different spec. All FN CHF AR barrels are not the same and even FN has said so.

You're one of those morons that runs around telling everyone that all AR parts are made by a handful of companies and the only difference is the name.
Fucktards like you do this to justify being a cheap ass and to justify buying cheap junk parts.

I've toured the FN plant several times and I know people who work their and a few who even run the line those barrels are on. Oh and once again, FN has stated they make the barrels to the customers specs. BCM has a set of specs which are different from PSA but hey all you barfcom fags keep parroting parts are parts just do it amongst yourself because people on the forums know better. Oh and where's your proof ? Mine is out there on the web all over the place. Yours is just you being a dick and saying it's fact
* This isn't a PSA vs. Brand X argument. Its to dismiss the notion that PSA sells cheaply spec'd FN barrels.

Show me the specs that command the price difference. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Better yet, again call me a moron, fucktard, fag and a dick, it'll help bolster your baseless claims. No seriously, it is quite effective.

The only fact I claimed was that the only measurable difference between PSA CHF barrels and others is the gas port diameter. Again, show me the specs that prove that to be false. Does FN make barrels to customer's specs, sure. But again, without knowing the spec sheet, the main difference will be in the gas port diameter (and profile).

I gave a list of possible reasons why PSA can sell items at a cheaper price than most, but ignore all of that and continue to parrot how PSA sells junk spec'd FN CHF barrels or how they sell manufacturer rejects.

Oh, and never mind the fact PSA has a different business model than most. Also, AR's and parts are only a part of their business;. Hell, they were a successful company before ever selling their first AR.

Nobody ever takes those things into account and just assumes, based solely on price NOT performance, that PSA is selling low/er tier FN barrels. Again, name another company that can and will sell a Glock 19 with night sights and 20 Magpul mags for $550; that is a savings of over $250, at minimum. By your logic, either that Glock or those mags are spec'd cheaply. I mean, how else can you explain it?

Oh, and before you throw out how PSA once sold barrels with Centurion's logo, that was mistake on the part of FN -- accidentally marking PSA barrels with Centurion's logo and subsequently failing to adequately remove it.

Or better yet, just call me moronic, dick fag fucktard.

Last edited by phixion; 07-18-2017 at 10:36 AM.
phixion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #52
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

For any curious, my "get me home" build so far...
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #53
brewster411
Member
 
AKaholic #: 180722
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
For any curious, my "get me home" build so far...[IG]https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/20180899_1906908262967496_5374533224502394880_n.jp g?ig_cache_key=MTU2MTc0MzEyOTg4Mjk3MTk5Nw%3D%3D.2[/IMG]
Is that a right side bolt catch release above the mag release?
brewster411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #54
TangoUniform
за мой Автомат Калашникова
Silver Contributor
 
TangoUniform's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 167175
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: K Town, TN
Posts: 9,120
Default

The real question no one seems to have asked is... why choose an AR as a "get me home" gun when the superior AK exists???!!!

[puts flame suit on]
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkpilot
It's the Files...where the overly educated debate the semi-retarded.
Это моя винтовка. Существует много, таких как она, но эта единственная моя!
TangoUniform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #55
NWcityguy2
Member
 
NWcityguy2's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182680
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
The AKFiles has a lot of "reverse gear snobs" as I call it. Reminds me of the guy who claims starters always go out on vehicles so he rolls his car down a hill and bump starts it every time. Ultimately destroying his clutch which is a harder and more expensive part to repair and replace. Just because he doesn't want to buy anymore of those ripoff peice of junk starters that never last.

Cheap asses who rag on anyone who spends more than bare minimum for any product or doesn't want to buy cheap crap.

You get what you pay for. There is nothing free in life. There is a reason these top tier companies are still in business and it isn't their names. It's their consistency and reputation for delivering excellent and superb products and quality control.

I know we will get the "prove it's any better" responses.... PROVE IT ISN'T
You know... We only live about three hours apart. I remember when your profile had your city listed, and not just the state (I won't mention it because you've obviously made the choice to remove it since last time I looked)

How about we meet in Carlsbad or Alamogordo, both are roughly half way between El Paso and where you live, and we'll see the difference for ourselves. And, I'll bring my video camera and post it to Youtube, so everyone else can see the difference. If it goes my way, or your way, doesn't matter. I'll bring my PSA premium and my parts gun, which is mostly PSA and Anderson, and you can bring your high $$$ stuff. And we'll see if your high $$$ stuff really is doing something that my ARs aren't.

Also, it'll be a good time as well.

Too simple, right?
NWcityguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #56
BigBlue&Goldie
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 189021
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 790
Default

I love barrel arguments for this type of application!

It seems the more important question for you to answer is if you can live with carbine length gas or if you have to have mid-length gas?

Debating the merits of a PSA vs Noveske manufactured FNH barrel is a waste of time. They are both hammer forged and chrome lined. You will never be able to tell if there is any kind of accuracy difference unless you take a batch of each (assuming they are built to different QC tolerances) and do substantial load development for each one. Remember, your intended purpose is to "get you home"......it doesn't take an MOA barrel to "get you home".
BigBlue&Goldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #57
NMGuy
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 182584
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
You know... We only live about three hours apart. I remember when your profile had your city listed, and not just the state (I won't mention it because you've obviously made the choice to remove it since last time I looked)

How about we meet in Carlsbad or Alamogordo, both are roughly half way between El Paso and where you live, and we'll see the difference for ourselves. And, I'll bring my video camera and post it to Youtube, so everyone else can see the difference. If it goes my way, or your way, doesn't matter. I'll bring my PSA premium and my parts gun, which is mostly PSA and Anderson, and you can bring your high $$$ stuff. And we'll see if your high $$$ stuff really is doing something that my ARs aren't.

Also, it'll be a good time as well.

Too simple, right?

I had Hobbs listed down but that's not actually correct. I live 30-35 minutes outside of any city down here. I just listed Hobbs because it's the biggest town in the county here. Posting your location as far as town or city really isn't fair for security reasons with some of us. For instance, if I said I live in most any other town in Lea county, such as Humble City, Monument, Jal, Stiles, Maljamar, Knowles, etc... it would be the equivalent of you telling us what apartment complex and floor level you lived on in El Paso... just for the safety of my friends, family, property, and myself the internet doesn't need to know exactly where I'm located.

I'm about 4 hours away from El Paso to my house.

The metro population of El Paso is around 800,000 plus. My whole state is only a little more than double that and most of our population is up North. My whole county has a population less than 1/12 of the El Paso Metro area. So I deam "New Mexico" or "SE New Mexico" a good enough answer for my geographic location.

I'll PM you though and maybe we can get together and have some fun at the range. I seriously doubt either of us has enough ammo or money to really shoot these barrels till we can notice a difference in service life, accuracy life, ease of cleaning, etc... my most used rifle is an LWRC IC SPR. It's got a decent round count now, I'll ball park around at minimum 7,500 rounds +. I don't really keep track of round counts. That's just a low ball guess on it. When a barrel stops performing or I can visually see wear it will get replaced. Other than that I just keep shooting. It still shoots Hornady Black 75gr BTHP factory ammo .223 into .5-.75 MOA groups of i do my part. Never shot steel though it and mainly shoot light 50gr-60gr varmint bullets loaded mild so that probably helps extend life but it's really a great Barrel.

I did say that PSA makes a decent quality product that works and I do own a couple rifles as well as a bunch of spare parts. And I do believe in your statement that their business model focuses on selling quantity as they do sell other factory brand products for great prices on sale. But their price gap on AR15 parts is too low. They'd be pricing themselves out of the market and going out of business if they were paying the same for their barrels as other manufacturers are. We experience this in our business too and we have competition go down all the time because they're actually giving away products for too little profit and they aren't making money back on their actual "work" or labor.

And high dollar manufacturers would be going under as well if their products and business didn't deliver something better than the cheaper manufacturers.
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #58
CrusherDestroyer
Veteran Member
 
CrusherDestroyer's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 169869
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Big Dirty: RVA.
Posts: 1,509
Default

Noveske makes a great product but mostly paying for a name. Rainer arms have quite a few high quality affordable options.
CrusherDestroyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #59
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster411 View Post
Is that a right side bolt catch release above the mag release?
Yep. The lower is fully ambidextrous.
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 AM   #60
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic
 
Mattylight30's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172152
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 4,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phixion View Post
* This isn't a PSA vs. Brand X argument. Its to dismiss the notion that PSA sells cheaply spec'd FN barrels.

Show me the specs that command the price difference. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Better yet, again call me a moron, fucktard, fag and a dick, it'll help bolster your baseless claims. No seriously, it is quite effective.

The only fact I claimed was that the only measurable difference between PSA CHF barrels and others is the gas port diameter. Again, show me the specs that prove that to be false. Does FN make barrels to customer's specs, sure. But again, without knowing the spec sheet, the main difference will be in the gas port diameter (and profile).

I gave a list of possible reasons why PSA can sell items at a cheaper price than most, but ignore all of that and continue to parrot how PSA sells junk spec'd FN CHF barrels or how they sell manufacturer rejects.

Oh, and never mind the fact PSA has a different business model than most. Also, AR's and parts are only a part of their business;. Hell, they were a successful company before ever selling their first AR.

Nobody ever takes those things into account and just assumes, based solely on price NOT performance, that PSA is selling low/er tier FN barrels. Again, name another company that can and will sell a Glock 19 with night sights and 20 Magpul mags for $550; that is a savings of over $250, at minimum. By your logic, either that Glock or those mags are spec'd cheaply. I mean, how else can you explain it?

Oh, and before you throw out how PSA once sold barrels with Centurion's logo, that was mistake on the part of FN -- accidentally marking PSA barrels with Centurion's logo and subsequently failing to adequately remove it.

Or better yet, just call me moronic, dick fag fucktard.
+1,000

Man, im glad somebody had the time and the effort to set it straight.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #61
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

Update: I did keep the PSA FN barrel and am using it on my fiancee's trunk gun build. I ordered an 18 inch Daniel Defense S2W mid-length for myself yesterday. Now to decide on a trigger, handguard, and stock...
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #62
Vance
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 179748
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Montoursville, PA
Posts: 1,674
Default

For the trigger and handguard, Geissele. Stock doesn't matter just pick whatever looks best.
__________________
Vance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #63
NMGuy
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 182584
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance View Post
For the trigger and handguard, Geissele. Stock doesn't matter just pick whatever looks best.
This is what I'd did for my last build with a 16" DD S2W barrel. It's a great shooter. I have the Geissele SMR MK8 13" rail and a POF single stage. The POF will come out once I can get one of the new Geissele single stages. It's a hunting rifle and I prefer the single stage on a hunting rifle. It's in 6.8 too.
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #64
Vance
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 179748
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Montoursville, PA
Posts: 1,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
This is what I'd did for my last build with a 16" DD S2W barrel. It's a great shooter. I have the Geissele SMR MK8 13" rail and a POF single stage. The POF will come out once I can get one of the new Geissele single stages. It's a hunting rifle and I prefer the single stage on a hunting rifle. It's in 6.8 too.
There are ALOT of people waiting for the SSP to come out including myself.
__________________
Vance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #65
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

What are the thoughts on the LaRue MBT? I prefer a 2 stage on my defensive guns and it seems hard to beat for the $. I'm in no rush so I can wait until they have a $99 sale on em.
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #66
NMGuy
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 182584
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
What are the thoughts on the LaRue MBT? I prefer a 2 stage on my defensive guns and it seems hard to beat for the $. I'm in no rush so I can wait until they have a $99 sale on em.
I'd say it's just about as good as my Geissele triggers...

The Larue MBT is a great trigger for the money. Probably the best value out there.
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #67
hoevito
Superhero
 
hoevito's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 163060
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
What are the thoughts on the LaRue MBT? I prefer a 2 stage on my defensive guns and it seems hard to beat for the $. I'm in no rush so I can wait until they have a $99 sale on em.
I have two of them now. Best trigger for the money out there period.

The MBT also goes very well in a precision build and makes taking accurate shots a piece of cake. A Geissele may cost a bit more but IMO the MBT is just as good in every way.
__________________
AR's and AK's go together like ass and titties...having one or the other is ok, but true gentlemen prefer them both.
hoevito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #68
js8588
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 176831
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoevito View Post
I have two of them now. Best trigger for the money out there period.

The MBT also goes very well in a precision build and makes taking accurate shots a piece of cake. A Geissele may cost a bit more but IMO the MBT is just as good in every way.
I have a Geissele in my Barrett REC7 DMR. Nice trigger. Sounds like I'm going with an MBT for this build.

I'm putting a CMC flat shoe two stage in my fiancee's build with the PSA barrel.
js8588 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #69
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 102797
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: two egg
Posts: 4,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpone View Post
No the fact is you're wrong and a moron. The PSA barrels are cheaper because they are made to a different spec. All FN CHF AR barrels are not the same and even FN has said so.

You're one of those morons that runs around telling everyone that all AR parts are made by a handful of companies and the only difference is the name.
Fucktards like you do this to justify being a cheap ass and to justify buying cheap junk parts.

I've toured the FN plant several times and I know people who work their and a few who even run the line those barrels are on. Oh and once again, FN has stated they make the barrels to the customers specs. BCM has a set of specs which are different from PSA but hey all you barfcom fags keep parroting parts are parts just do it amongst yourself because people on the forums know better. Oh and where's your proof ? Mine is out there on the web all over the place. Yours is just you being a dick and saying it's fact
^ The Truth !
virgil cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #70
Aceshigh
Lt Topper
 
Aceshigh's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5008
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SCIF
Posts: 11,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoUniform View Post
The real question no one seems to have asked is... why choose an AR as a "get me home" gun when the superior AK exists???!!!

[puts flame suit on]
223/5.56 is the native lands weapon and ammunition of choice between those two.

If the situation is a real "Get you home" scenario, in a breakdown, you will find resources and ammunition easier.

Outside of breakdown societal scenario's, where you just want a pistol / SBR for self defense anything will do tho.
__________________


AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles