Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #36
crowak2

AKaholic #: 8569

I live close to CFS so I stopped in and bought one, I was able to get one that has a black stock set instead of the brown one.

I still haven't shot it, but for $140 it was worth a shot.
crowak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #37
NorincoKid
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 9567

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowak2 View Post
I live close to CFS so I stopped in and bought one, I was able to get one that has a black stock set instead of the brown one.

I wonder how it will cycle being shortened. Or is yours a different model than the one I got?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #38
crowak2

I chopped mine down to 18", if it doesn't cycle right I will just open up the gas port some until it works correctly. It should be an easy fix.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #39
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

So we got two in to look over.. I can confirm that most roll crimped ammo is too long for the magazine.. We did some test firing to get a baseline of function. Then we took them apart and looked for areas that had rough spots and smoothed them. We will do another round of testing before posting the results. Overall the guns look decent.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #40
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

One more update of sorts. I'm taking one of the guns with me for my testing trip/vacation, I'm intending to get a few cases of shells through it in short order.. I'm not going to try to break it but I'm not going to help it through the test either.

If it holds up we are going to design a 8 round and a 10 round and work up the costs to see if we can make it happen.I can't work for Chinese laborer money, but I think with the way this is made and a little extra design work we should be able to trim the costs off our normal shotgun magazine to be somewhat reasonable.

The gun has to show itself durable enough to bother with. If it dies after 2000 rounds it is not worth my time.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #41
zombienetwork

AKaholic #: 185861

I compared the factory mags with my C More mags looking to see if the C More was large enough to allow the other to slip inside and act as an adapter. I would say it was small fractions from just slipping inside however it wouldnt quite go as it was.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #42
crowak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
One more update of sorts. I'm taking one of the guns with me for my testing trip/vacation, I'm intending to get a few cases of shells through it in short order.. I'm not going to try to break it but I'm not going to help it through the test either.

If it holds up we are going to design a 8 round and a 10 round and work up the costs to see if we can make it happen.I can't work for Chinese laborer money, but I think with the way this is made and a little extra design work we should be able to trim the costs off our normal shotgun magazine to be somewhat reasonable.

The gun has to show itself durable enough to bother with. If it dies after 2000 rounds it is not worth my time.
Let us know how these shotguns held up, I don't want to spend much time working on mine if it won't last.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #43
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

I am still trying to decide if it is best to keep chucking high cost game loads at this thing or if we are at the point that I should drill the gas port a little bigger.

I am watching the action with a 1200 frame per second camera and I can see that the promo loads are not building the pressure soon enough to unlock the action fast enough to get the action to cycle. By the time the action is open there is not enough residual pressure to get the action open.

As for the difficulty of drilling the ports. It is super easy to get into, all you do is strip the gun down and there is already a access hole in the gas block. It is so easy that it is almost too tempting to get this thing running.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #44
crowak2

There is a small opening in the front of the hanguards, it looks like it might be a gas blow off, I wonder if this hole was blocked that it might keep more gas in the barrel to cycle bulk bird shot?

I haven't taken mine out to test yet, but I may try this before drilling out the gas ports.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #45
crowak2

Mossberg stocks will fit but you will need a thread adapter.
The thread in the back of the shotgun is Metric M16x1.0 extra fine.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #46
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

The one gun we are messing with had a partiality obstructed port.. I was using the base of a twist drill to check the port diameter and noticed one was smaller. I opened the port.. I'll see tomorrow if that did the trick.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #47
KC913

AKaholic #: 155912
Thumbs up

Picked up one of these last week from Centerfire as soon as I saw the ad and ordered another one the same day I got the first one in my hands. The first one I received came with brown furniture and the serial number seemed pretty low (see photos below). Hoping this next one comes in black. Will hit it with a rattle can if not. I also pre-ordered 8 of the 5 round mags two days ago over the phone. Fit and finish on the first one I received are not bad at all. I actually dig the cheap looking flat finish. It compliments it well, in my opinion. It felt solid and smooth enough that I didn't even test fire it before ordering another one. The price is just too good to pass up. Even if the ports need to be opened a hair, I'm good with that. I heard about these years ago and never got the chance to check one out in-person. Forgot they even existed until I got the email from Centerfire.

Here are a few photos of my first SAS12, fresh out of the box, and then disassembled...

If you want better pictures of anything, feel free to ask.

Last edited by KC913; 07-16-2017 at 09:33 AM.
KC913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #48
KC913

If anyone messes with threading the barrel of one of these (external threads, not internal choke threads), I would be interested to know which thread size it takes.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #49
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

So range trip today was short.. But it seems unblocking the port did help but it is still not 100%.

I'm going to open the gas port just a tiny bit more.. I don't mind if I'm limited to basically target loads. Generally speaking a 1 1/8 ounce load at 1250 fps will get what I need done.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #50
KC913

Quote:
So range trip today was short.. But it seems unblocking the port did help but it is still not 100%.

I'm going to open the gas port just a tiny bit more.. I don't mind if I'm limited to basically target loads. Generally speaking a 1 1/8 ounce load at 1250 fps will get what I need done.
I'm rooting for ya. Even if you just end up coming up with some kind of ass-to-ass mag coupler that uses an 8 round SGM Saiga/Vepr spring or something similar inside of the joined mag bodies to double the 5 rounders to 10 rounds with minimal cost and effort.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #51
Pre-Banned

AKaholic #: 193456

Hello, I joined specifically for this post. I have an address for the importer and will be sending them a letter to inquire about parts availability and the implied warranty in the manual. Csspecs, do you know what you drilled your gas port out to? I have three on the way and would like to know what to expect. I am not too worried about only shooting low brass through it after such a modification.

Also, I wondered about threadeding it for Rem-Chokes. I have had hands on one so far and it's barrel measures at .848 as it's outside diameter. Could someone else measure their OD to see if that is consistent? If so, these would have the ability to be threaded for internal chokes.

KC913, your pictures are GREATLY appreciated. They are the only hi-res pictures of this beast's internals available online. I have done almost non stop research of this shotgun since Friday and haven't been able to find out too much. Generally they seem ok with high brass loads.

I would like to think as more people buy them and post about them, the popularity would rise and maybe the importer would direct the Chinese to refine their workmanship.

I will update or start a new thread as I tinker with mine.
Pre-Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #52
Sindri556

AKaholic #: 193312

Quote:

I'm jealous, I wanted to get a black one. I even emailed them and asked about that and was told they didn't have any.

But mine broke already (sliding ejector broke off when I took it apart to clean it up) so I sent it back and they are going to send me a new one. I asked if I could get a black one this time.
Sindri556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #53
KC913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-Banned View Post

KC913, your pictures are GREATLY appreciated. They are the only hi-res pictures of this beast's internals available online. I have done almost non stop research of this shotgun since Friday and haven't been able to find out too much. Generally they seem ok with high brass loads.

I would like to think as more people buy them and post about them, the popularity would rise and maybe the importer would direct the Chinese to refine their workmanship.
No problem. I noticed there was really no information about them on the internet, other than random forum questions and a couple not-helpful YouTube videos. I'm almost done with my video showing how all of the internals function and how to completely disassemble and reassemble it.

The only problem with refining their workmanship is, these are not new-production firearms and are no longer being produced as far as I know. They were just left-overs from the '94 Clinton ban according to everyone I've talked to. Maybe if they can produce new ones using old tooling and keep costs under $200.00. I would be in for a few more brand new ones. No spare parts, neither, but I'm sure the importer held onto a few pallets just to use as parts donors. That's how it usually goes with these older firearms.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #54
crowak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri556 View Post
I'm jealous, I wanted to get a black one. I even emailed them and asked about that and was told they didn't have any.

But mine broke already (sliding ejector broke off when I took it apart to clean it up) so I sent it back and they are going to send me a new one. I asked if I could get a black one this time.
I live 20 minutes from Centerfire, so when I went to buy mine there. The employee there was surprised also when he grabbed a box to check the serial number, they didn't know that there were any black ones.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #55
KC913

Quote:

Meant to ask you, is that a 1/4" rib sight? Is it nice and snug? Was going to pick up some cheap TruGlo front and rear sights for it but didn't want to end up with sights that didn't fit.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #56
crowak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC913 View Post
Meant to ask you, is that a 1/4" rib sight? Is it nice and snug? Was going to pick up some cheap TruGlo front and rear sights for it but didn't want to end up with sights that didn't fit.
It's just a Chinese copy of the Russian shotgun red dot that doesn't use batteries. It fits tight and has 6 set screws to adjust windage and elevation. I really like them and for $26 you can't go wrong.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #57
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-Banned View Post
Csspecs, do you know what you drilled your gas port out to?.
I used a 5/32" which I could basically push through the ports with some resistance. Then wiggled slightly test firing with each change. I'd imagine these guns vary slightly

I think a wire gauge or decimal inch would be needed to open the ports as any of the fraction sets would be a massive increase.
The square area of a 5/32 is .01917" and a 11/64 is .02320 This may seem insignificant but the difference is something like a 21% increase in gas which is probably enough to be a problem. So any drilling of gas ports needs to be taken with caution.

I think these are new guns. There are a few things that make me think that. One is that the plastic smells of mold release on the inside of the stock, the guns are covered in oil but none of it is hardened. There are no other importer marks, and the magazines are a slightly different style.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #58
KC913

Quote:
It's just a Chinese copy of the Russian shotgun red dot that doesn't use batteries. It fits tight and has 6 set screws to adjust windage and elevation. I really like them and for $26 you can't go wrong.

Does it mount to the rib with set screws as well? Would you mind sending me a close-up photo of where it's mounted on your rib to see the fit? I picked up some front and rear 1/4" Tru-Glo fiber sights tonight from Bass Pro and they snapped right on. I saw the sight you used on eBay the other night and almost picked it up but I wasn't sure how it would fit.

Last edited by KC913; 07-18-2017 at 06:13 AM.
KC913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #59
crowak2

There is 2 flat bars that go under the shotgun rib to hold the site on.
You adjust the set screws and tighten down the 2 flat bars, so it's very solid.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #60
Pre-Banned

Well, I got my three in today. No function issues but I haven't fired them yet. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #61
Pre-Banned

These guns are definitely new, considering the old style Norinco SAS-12s had a button magazine release, not an AK style release. The triggers on all of these seem consistent and smooth.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #62
Sindri556

Quote:
I live 20 minutes from Centerfire, so when I went to buy mine there. The employee there was surprised also when he grabbed a box to check the serial number, they didn't know that there were any black ones.
That makes me feel better, at least they weren't being lazy or holding out in me. Honestly for $140 I don't even care that much, it was just a preference. Maybe when I get my new one, it will be black.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #63
Pre-Banned

Just cleaned all three, will do a quick range session tonight. I talked with SDS Importers tonight and they WILL BE putting SAS12 parts on their webpage very soon. It is sdsimports.com. I plan on buying quite a few parts when that happens.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #64
Sindri556

I think I have the first SAS-12 casualty! I picked mine up last week from my FFL, and the next evening I disassembled it to clean cosmoline off of it. As I pulled the barrel out I heard a *CLINK* and a small metal bit fell out. I went ahead and cleaned everything up, figuring I'd find the part's home during reassembly. Long story short, after a lot of head scratching, it turned out to be the sliding ejector. It had snapped off! I also noticed in the groove for it what appeared to be rust.

I contacted Centerfire Systems first, unsure if they should handle this or the manufacturer. They got right back to me, apologizing profusely for the problem and then sent me a prepaid Fedex label so I could send it back and was told they would send me a brand new shotgun. I asked if maybe I could get a black one this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170718_9736.jpg (30.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #65
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

So I did get to test again and it seems that the 5/32 in both ports did the job, I don't recommended drilling as it likely voids the warranty, test fire first for sure..

Clean ejection with 1 1/8 ounce at 1200 fps federals and 1 ounce at 1295 Remington.. Did not cycle 1 ounce 1295 fps federal.. So maybe I need to go a tiny bit more.. But I did not bring my full drill index on vacation so that will have to wait a bit. I think another 2 - 4% would be just about perfect but I'm going to shoot more first and see if it loosens up first.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #66
Pre-Banned

Quote:
So I did get to test again and it seems that the 5/32 in both ports did the job, I don't recommended drilling as it likely voids the warranty, test fire first for sure..

Clean ejection with 1 1/8 ounce at 1200 fps federals and 1 ounce at 1295 Remington.. Did not cycle 1 ounce 1295 fps federal.. So maybe I need to go a tiny bit more.. But I did not bring my full drill index on vacation so that will have to wait a bit. I think another 2 - 4% would be just about perfect but I'm going to shoot more first and see if it loosens up first.

Nice! Keep us posted. I've shot two mags of hi brass loads and one mag of low brass. The low brass didn't work as expected. Did you open both ports to that width? I will open mine tomorrow a tad bit. No issues whatsoever with hi brass. Minimal recoil too.

Edit: I see you drilled them both, sorry.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #67
Sindri556

Quote:

Did you do any polishing on the internals? I'm thinking when I get my replacement gun back from Centerfire Systems I'm going to clean up the port like you did, and then polish the guts. Polishing should reduce the friction in the gun, which means it will take less force to operate the action.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #68
Pre-Banned

Hold on, these pistons are ribbed. I work at an FFL and we have readily available Remington shotgun gas system o rings. Why couldn't we use an o ring or two to make these cycle low brass without drilling? I think I will experiment with this idea on my next trip out to the property.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #69
Pre-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri556 View Post
Did you do any polishing on the internals? I'm thinking when I get my replacement gun back from Centerfire Systems I'm going to clean up the port like you did, and then polish the guts. Polishing should reduce the friction in the gun, which means it will take less force to operate the action.

Let us know what you polish up.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #70
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

I have a video somewhere of the polish work.. Not a ton since aside from a few parts everything is fairly smooth.

As for the orings. That could work, I was merely doing the mods I found online from the last import batch.. They lacked actual numbers and most of the details so I'm trying to fill in the gaps.. I would have more posted but my internet at the edge of the earth is a little crappy.