Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
Jw
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175512
Default Polish M44.

Just picked this up. 1952 Polish m44. Only got my first Mosin a couple months ago.... Yeah they are addicting. I really dig the carbine versions of the Mosin so when I saw this one for $225 with an outstanding bore I couldn't pass it up. Stock is decent as well, head space is perfect tested with my GO gauge, bolt isn't bad, only negative thing is it isn't matching at all. That is why I wanted to test it with my gauge before buying it, but it passed the no go gauge perfectly so I grabbed it. Looking forward to shooting it, especially considering how nice the bore is. Rifling looks brand freakin new, and it is definitely not counter bored.

Now my other Mosin has some company. I wanted to get a 91/30 as well as a m44 or m38 really before I had to resort to gun broker. Found both of these rifles in local shops, both were the only Mosin the shops had. My 91/30 especially is very nice condition in my opinion for a 1932, this M44 isn't too bad at all either.

Last edited by Jw; 02-19-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Miller Tyme
NRA Life member

AKaholic #: 21844

The stock isn't Polish, appears to be either Russian or Romanian, a Polsih stock will have this stamp on the R/H side of the butt stock

Miller Tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #3
Jw
Veteran Member

Yes, it is mixed. The "gun" is Polish though. There's some Hungarian and Russian parts. as well.

I'm thinking about finding a really nice condition stock and getting it finished. Are there any places to find like new stocks or just whatever shit is floating around?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

M44 stocks are not as common and "as new" less common. I believe Liberty Tree collectors have M44 stocks.

I have a Polish M44 sling. But not cheap.

AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
csi-tech
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 168728

Man those are nice.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
tobnpr
Vendor

AKaholic #: 136705

Nice looking rifle.
It's really passing a no-go or field gauge that would be the "test"- if it can chamber a round, that's "essentially" the same as passing a go-gauge.

Custom Bolt Actions/Re-barreling/Brake Installs
07 FFL /Mosin-Nagant Custom Shop/Bent Bolts
Genuine Cerakote Applicator

email: techsupport@biggorillagunworks.com
(727) 233-2258

WWW.BIGGORILLAGUNWORKS.COM
tobnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
remauto1187

AKaholic #: 176620
Location: INDIANA (formerly Illinois) Cant imagine why I left there!

What tobnpr said and Ill add that when a bolt passes a go gauge all it is saying is the headspace isnt too tight.(Out of spec). A no-go gauge checks a bolt (headspace) for being too loose(also out of spec) which will lead to case blowouts, damage to receiver or even your face. So all you truly need is a no-go gauge. We arent military armorers tasked with checking the readiness of weapons continuously and have to rebuild a platoon worth of weapons.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #8
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I somewhat disagree. As cartridge dimensions can vary. A GO gauge is the best indication of proper headspace vs a cartridge check. While the cartridge is an indicator it can vary with the ammunition type and a partial cycling into battery can be a bad situation for the firearm.
Brass cased generally more forgiving than steel cased.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
tobnpr
Vendor

AKaholic #: 136705

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
I somewhat disagree. As cartridge dimensions can vary. A GO gauge is the best indication of proper headspace vs a cartridge check. While the cartridge is an indicator it can vary with the ammunition type and a partial cycling into battery can be a bad situation for the firearm.
Brass cased generally more forgiving than steel cased.

Go gauge has slight relevance- but only because numbers are non-matching/bolt has been switched. Otherwise- with any rifle- barring a huge FUP at time of manufacture a rifle will always have minimum headspace. Headspace never gets smaller- it only increases with lug wear/raceway setback.

Go gauges are typically used only for barreling, always a good idea to have all three but in the case of confirming that headspace is within spec on an old milsurp with a single gauge, it would be the wrong choice.

I've dealt with hundreds of MN's- and while the length from the back of the lugs to the boltface does vary with the boltheads (and I often swap them out to tighten headspace if needed)- I've never seen one where the headspace could have been reduced below "zero" where the bolt would not be able to be put in battery.

Custom Bolt Actions/Re-barreling/Brake Installs
07 FFL /Mosin-Nagant Custom Shop/Bent Bolts
Genuine Cerakote Applicator

email: techsupport@biggorillagunworks.com
(727) 233-2258

WWW.BIGGORILLAGUNWORKS.COM
tobnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Bolt guns are a good bit different than semi or full auto in terms of firing out of battery and whether a cartridge will seat fully or only partially.
The tolerances of size/chambering for different cartridges can vary a good bit. Whatever works but there is a reason for a go gauge in a firearm. Particularly in a semi or full auto. IMHO.

In a rimmed cartridge bolt gun that headspaces on the rim and has easy lockup visuals., it is less critical though.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 02-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
Stoned_Oli
King of S'Marm
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
Go gauge has slight relevance- but only because numbers are non-matching/bolt has been switched. Otherwise- with any rifle- barring a huge FUP at time of manufacture a rifle will always have minimum headspace. Headspace never gets smaller- it only increases with lug wear/raceway setback.

Go gauges are typically used only for barreling, always a good idea to have all three but in the case of confirming that headspace is within spec on an old milsurp with a single gauge, it would be the wrong choice.

I've dealt with hundreds of MN's- and while the length from the back of the lugs to the boltface does vary with the boltheads (and I often swap them out to tighten headspace if needed)- I've never seen one where the headspace could have been reduced below "zero" where the bolt would not be able to be put in battery.
I had one that wouldn't go into battery until I swapped the bolt with another one. Sad, too, as the carbine was original matching with all Izhevsk components and the replacement bolt had a Tula extractor.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Jw
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
Nice looking rifle.
It's really passing a no-go or field gauge that would be the "test"- if it can chamber a round, that's "essentially" the same as passing a go-gauge.
Yes, I actually meant to say NO GO guys hahah. I was thinking "GO" because I knew the rifle was "good to go" after using my no go gauge. Hah. Thanks for the input though all around. Haven't been out to shoot it yet unfortunately.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 11436

"I'll take it" lol.
Seriously though if you ever wanna sell it hit me up.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member
Contributor

I had one of each as well but I gave my brother in law the 91/30 and now he wants a m44 like mine as well so I guess I'm gonna end up buying one more of each so we will both have a set.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

The Polish M44 Mosin Nagant rifles were some of the nicest of all those manufactured. Some were imported as new, unfired specimens or excellent etc.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member
Contributor

Quote:
The Polish M44 Mosin Nagant rifles were some of the nicest of all those manufactured. Some were imported as new, unfired specimens or excellent etc.

Mine was new condition, it's a 1944 picked it up at a gun show for $100
Old 02-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak-sharpshooter View Post
Mine was new condition, it's a 1944 picked it up at a gun show for $100
The Polish did not produce a Model44 in 1944. Dunno what you had., but not Polish in that year.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm
Old 02-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #18
rstrobel
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 167348

Quote:

]
I'd really love to pick one up like yours... it's one of the few guns left on my list. there's one on gunbroker right now but it's $700 and the wood looks really dark
rstrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #19
cyberjad
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173415

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrobel View Post
I'd really love to pick one up like yours... it's one of the few guns left on my list. there's one on gunbroker right now but it's $700 and the wood looks really dark
Got lucky and picked an unissued one up for $175 or so some years back out of an estate sale, such a pretty gun.
cyberjad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #20
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I used to be an M44 collector.
Once I got all the Russian years 1943-48 and the XO marked, MO marked, Tula etc and then the Hungarian, Romanian, Chinese, Yugoslavian rework, laminate stock example, and at the time the triangle 1 example thought to be East German but proved not to be so a couple of years ago. Still have them all.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 AM   #21
vinco
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168865

I saw an absolutely perfect, beautiful Polish M44 at a local gun show a few weeks ago, priced in the $450-ish range. I wasn't feeling it to pay quite that much, so I passed. I do have a pretty decent Polish one though. It has all matching numbers on the metal parts, but it is in a Hungarian stock.
vinco is online now   Reply With Quote