Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
Iczer01
Member
 
AKaholic #: 181073
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Solame oregon
Posts: 46
Default Need advice stolen rifles

Just got my storage unit broken into they got a few rifles. The advice I need is for giving the value to insurance company. One of the rifles was early norinco sile 56 basically irreplaceable the other was saiga .223 not too hard to find the others were ar-15 the value has dropped on those so not really worried. But do I just put a really high value on the norinco and pray I get a chance to get another. Just don’t know how to estimate the value. Any help is appreciated.
Iczer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
raggedwhole!
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 172787
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Islamarxistan
Posts: 7,394
Default

Wow. That sucks. Sorry to hear. In before the whole you should have kept the rifle more secure brigade.
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
hartmanart
Senior Member
 
hartmanart's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173806
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pennsyltucky, on the front line of the fight for freedom
Posts: 921
Default

The 56 is very replaceable, you can find them often NIB because a lot of people invested in them and never used them. 2.5k-3k
__________________
In a world of compromise, some don't
HK
hartmanart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Romy_G
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 195355
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gun store...pillaging the Wolf and Golden Tiger
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iczer01 View Post
Just got my storage unit broken into they got a few rifles. The advice I need is for giving the value to insurance company. One of the rifles was early norinco sile 56 basically irreplaceable the other was saiga .223 not too hard to find the others were ar-15 the value has dropped on those so not really worried. But do I just put a really high value on the norinco and pray I get a chance to get another. Just don’t know how to estimate the value. Any help is appreciated.
You'll have to show proof of value. Not what you spent on them, but you'll have to show what market value is currently.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
def90
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 154917
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boulder, Co
Posts: 6,417
Default

Do a completed sale search on gunbroker for the current prices they have actually recently sold for. That should be the value. Find a number of them and print them out and give those values to your insurance company.

If you built the AR give them values of all of the parts you used to build it.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Iczer01
Member
 
AKaholic #: 181073
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Solame oregon
Posts: 46
Default

I have all the receipts for the ARs and the Saiga. Luckily thanks to the akfiles and swapping info with other filers I had the serial numbers and pics of the 56 otherwise I would be SOL. Crazy thing is they passed up a colt sp1 and a M11/9 smg with Lage upper with tax stamp wrapped around the handle. all my guns have been moved to a more secure location.
Iczer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
codsack
KGB
 
codsack's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 158433
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cape Fear
Posts: 1,352
Default

No cameras at your storage place? Any suspects by the owners?
__________________
"Your prison is walking thru this world all alone"
codsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Craigan
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 187609
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Saba, Texas
Posts: 659
Default

You left a form 4'd M11 in a storage shed??
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
Brasky
Curio & Relic
 
Brasky's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 187139
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigan View Post
You left a form 4'd M11 in a storage shed??
Who keeps any guns in a storage shed?
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #10
Iczer01
Member
 
AKaholic #: 181073
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Solame oregon
Posts: 46
Default

Climate controlled storage unit. Supposedly secured and patrolled. Was also indoors coded entry. They are going through the camera footage will see how it pans out over next few days.
Iczer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic
 
genxgixxer's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179329
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: reno, nevada
Posts: 3,701
Default

inside job
__________________
Trump 2020 BUILD THAT FUCKING WALL

Democrats are the enemy of America.




Sent from 52 area
genxgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #12
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang
 
Fire4Effect's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 181925
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,193
Default

Somebody knew you had guns in there definitely. Suck, OP.
__________________
USMC 0311 2001 - 2005
Fire4Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #13
Lane_H
SSSSICCAR
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 6,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
inside job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
Somebody knew you had guns in there definitely. Suck, OP.
Yep
&
Yep

I would get local pd on it, if they need a fire under their assessment I bet the atf can provide a match.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudburner View Post
Some people need to leave more often.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20
AL Kalash Group Thread^
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #14
Dcrosle1
Member
 
AKaholic #: 178721
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 151
Default

Sorry to hear that. I had somebody break into my car and steal my pistol. They caught the scumbag a few months later and I have to wait for the trial so get it back smh
__________________
SLR107fr O-PAP, BCM complete, M&P 15 Sport, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
Dcrosle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 AM   #15
230infantry
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193736
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Pahrump, Nevada
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iczer01 View Post
I have all the receipts for the ARs and the Saiga. Luckily thanks to the akfiles and swapping info with other filers I had the serial numbers and pics of the 56 otherwise I would be SOL. Crazy thing is they passed up a colt sp1 and a M11/9 smg with Lage upper with tax stamp wrapped around the handle. all my guns have been moved to a more secure location.
At least they were smart enough not to steal a machine gun
230infantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:57 AM   #16
catmando
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 194694
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Butner State Prison
Posts: 770
Default

This story smells like a fish house at low tide.
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #17
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 102797
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: two egg
Posts: 6,031
Default

What kind of lock was on the storage unit door ? I only use those storage unit round locks that can't be cut with bolt-cutters .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #18
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron
 
Sabre5G's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 181719
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Country Club El Paso, TX Area
Posts: 5,084
Default

They usually turn up. Don’t worry
__________________
FUCK CANCER. Nalioth is SKYNET

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
—-///——///———-///——

AR-15’s suck.
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
1akguy
Member
 
AKaholic #: 176704
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North aurora illinois
Posts: 352
Default

What company are you going to for the claim Sedgwick?
__________________
FREE MEN OWN GUNS SLAVES AND PRISONERS CAN'T!
1akguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Billrube
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193264
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Huntingdon Tn
Posts: 272
Default

Do you know the laws in your state? In some states it is illegal to store firearms or ammo in a storage facility. When I lived in Georgia it was illegal there.
If that is the case your state, your insurance company may not pay for them if they were stored "illegally".

Good luck all the way around.
Billrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
Burgher
Member
 
AKaholic #: 195397
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billrube View Post
Do you know the laws in your state? In some states it is illegal to store firearms or ammo in a storage facility. When I lived in Georgia it was illegal there.
If that is the case your state, your insurance company may not pay for them if they were stored "illegally".

Good luck all the way around.
I'm surprised something like that would be illegal in Georgia. Some "gun friendly" states have some odd laws I suppose, like how I can't buy a mossberg shockwave when I'm in Ohio....
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #22
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor
 
islandfocus2's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159575
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States, Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,143
Default

Wow, I’m sorry to hear that your personal property got stolen. I fuckin’ hate thieves! Hope that whomever stole your personal belongs gets their goddamn fingers or hands cut off!!
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #23
billydonk
Curio & Relic
 
billydonk's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 183419
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Posts: 2,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
Who keeps any guns in a storage shed?
contract killers
billydonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #24
CjStatic
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 196171
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Goddard, KS
Posts: 345
Default

This is wear small tracking devices we can link to our smartphone would come in handy.
CjStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
Str8liner
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 174699
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
Who keeps any guns in a storage shed?
Really, hope you get them back but I wouldn't be doing that anymore.
Str8liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #26
tnxdshooter
LEO
 
AKaholic #: 170817
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 2,371
Default

That's just pure idiocy to store guns in a storage unit. Especially expensive ones. I can understand some cheap ass throw away gun in case there's an shtf like an old mossberg 12 gauge or something.
__________________
Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Tennessee Firearms Association member
NRA Life of Duty member (Law Enforcement)
Law Enforcement
tnxdshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #27
praxidike
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 191101
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Franklin, VA
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
Who keeps any guns in a storage shed?
I do... Feel like it's just as secure than in my home. Those $1000-$2000 safes give many a false sense of security. There are dozens of YouTube videos, and it's somewhat common knowledge that the sidewalls of these safes can be cut open within a few minutes with a cheap Harbor Freight angular saw. My storage unit requires an access code to get in and out, has security and cameras, and is open 24/7. It's more secure than my home which I'm away from 14-18 hours a day 6 days a week... I don't have a dog or a security system at in my home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
What kind of lock was on the storage unit door ? I only use those storage unit round locks that can't be cut with bolt-cutters .
Not really. I've lost my key before, and was able to cut through one of those "uncuttable" disk locks easily. The OP's issue is that either someone saw him or he opened his mouth and mentions to others that he kept his firearms there. The few rifles I have in mine are brought transported in large garbage bags, and absolutely no one knows I keep them there.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #28
akno
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193271
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 244
Default

How much per year does it cost to insure a gun? (I am guessing too much.)
akno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #29
TXsailor
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 193986
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: REDACTED
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akno View Post
How much per year does it cost to insure a gun? (I am guessing too much.)
Very little.

Mine are bundled under "valuable personal property" tacked on to my renters policy (I'm away from the property i own a lot, so they're on renters and not homeowners). Costs about $200/ year.
TXsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #30
akno
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193271
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 244
Default

My rough understanding is that the more the total value, the more it costs (per year) to insure it. I don't know the percentages though -- I wonder if it is 4% [of total value] per year to insure a gun(s) for one year. I will have to look into the bundling options that you mention, TXsailor; it sounds like that works out better.
akno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #31
TXsailor
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 193986
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: REDACTED
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akno View Post
My rough understanding is that the more the total value, the more it costs (per year) to insure it. I don't know the percentages though -- I wonder if it is 4% [of total value] per year to insure a gun(s) for one year. I will have to look into the bundling options that you mention, TXsailor; it sounds like that works out better.
FWIW I'm going through USAA. Guns and the like are actually automatically covered under rental or homeowners, BUT they cap out fairly low, hence my adding them as Valuable Personal Property to insure them at actual market value.
TXsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
djvdz66
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 173445
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Goffstown, NH
Posts: 1,257
Default

Sorry you got ripped off. Storage unit is not a good place for firearms. Good luck getting the payout for what they are really worth, insurance companies don't like to pay.
djvdz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #33
TXsailor
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 193986
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: REDACTED
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvdz66 View Post
Sorry you got ripped off. Storage unit is not a good place for firearms. Good luck getting the payout for what they are really worth, insurance companies don't like to pay.
Some times you don't get much choice. I know some folks who, due to work, are living in nanny states and have to leave the guns somewhere or sell them.
TXsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #34
codsack
KGB
 
codsack's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 158433
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cape Fear
Posts: 1,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Some times you don't get much choice. I know some folks who, due to work, are living in nanny states and have to leave the guns somewhere or sell them.
Exactly! I had to store guns and ammo when I moved to an apartment and had no issues. Don't tell a soul,move them in with no witness and it's a slim chance anything happens.... common sense!!
__________________
"Your prison is walking thru this world all alone"
codsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #35
flakman
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 190767
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Davie, FL
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
I do... Feel like it's just as secure than in my home. Those $1000-$2000 safes give many a false sense of security. There are dozens of YouTube videos, and it's somewhat common knowledge that the sidewalls of these safes can be cut open within a few minutes with a cheap Harbor Freight angular saw. My storage unit requires an access code to get in and out, has security and cameras, and is open 24/7. It's more secure than my home which I'm away from 14-18 hours a day 6 days a week... I don't have a dog or a security system at in my home...



Not really. I've lost my key before, and was able to cut through one of those "uncuttable" disk locks easily. The OP's issue is that either someone saw him or he opened his mouth and mentions to others that he kept his firearms there. The few rifles I have in mine are brought transported in large garbage bags, and absolutely no one knows I keep them there.
It was inside job, I guarantee that.

I have storage too, but I only keep guns for day or two a month, because when I drill, I can't take them to base. But not as permanent storage
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles