Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > RKBA and Legal

Notices

Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
6500rpm

AKaholic #: 3450
Default How would you describe a tube build on a Form 1

I'm in the process of building a sa 26 as either a pistol or rifle depending on the availability of a 16" barrel. My ultimate goal is to SBR once built and functional but my question is, since the gun (parts kit) was designed as a full auto SMG and never semi but now has approved parts sources to re build as a semi auto striker fired weapon, how do I name it on a Form 1. It's being built on a 80% tube, so it's never been classified from a manufacturer although I know of two companies that have ATF approved semi auto configurations and associated parts to duplicate their design.
I'm just trying to eliminate any ATF confusion. Years ago my FFL got a visit about a AK pistol receiver I purchased from NoDAK Spud because the didn't have a clue what NoDAK was at the time. I can see this going down the same road if ATF doesn't fully understand what it is and adding additional approval time.

To be specific-4a) Original Manufacturer of Firearm=Me, and 4d (Model ?) Sa 26?

Last edited by 6500rpm; 03-18-2018 at 08:57 PM.
6500rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
6500rpm

Bump. 16" barrel build is progressing using all parts supplied by Re-Mil who received approval for their semi auto configuration and 922r compliance.

Any thoughts on submission when it's Form 1 time? How are other 80% receiver builds being described?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

If you are building it from an 80% that makes you the manufacturer so you may give it any model you choose and put your own serial on it for the form 1. ATF may want photos of it. Make sure the receiver is not an MG of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
6500rpm

I went with all parts from Re-Mil for compliance, blank tube came with the denial welded in. ATF approved their semi design. I think I'm over thinking things. Sa 26 Semi and me as the Mfg and I should be good, just trying not to add any extra time if they kick it back for some stupid verbage issue.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
stashua
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 172442

The e-file form1s suggested including any extra info you could provide on a separate sheet. You could do something like that on a parer form1 too.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6500rpm View Post
I went with all parts from Re-Mil for compliance, blank tube came with the denial welded in. ATF approved their semi design. I think I'm over thinking things. Sa 26 Semi and me as the Mfg and I should be good, just trying not to add any extra time if they kick it back for some stupid verbage issue.
The parts do not have to be, "approved".

They can be your own design.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
John A.
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178172

If it's built on an 80% blank, you may name it any darn thing you want to.

I did have a friend recently who built up an SBR receiver that was made from mega machine, that had did a small special run of lowers that had some gun club name on them as the model name.

NFA examiner did send my friend a letter asking him to verify the model name, which I found odd, but he sent the letter back and confirmed that it was he that was not stupid and could spell just fine, and after about another 6 weeks was approved with exactly the correct model name that he had listed correctly in the first place.

Here is what is required information on the form 1.

Makers name (or trust name)
City, State
Model name or number
caliber
serial number (which may include letters, but has to have at least 1 number in it)

------------

barrel length you are going to use once sbr'd
overall length
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote