Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #36
Jeddak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 195094

New to SKS. LAst month I picked up an all matching Factory 26 Chinese, with the bayo still there and yesterday walked away with a 1954 Tula. Original stock, not re-arsenaled, as far as I can tell, very little wear on the receiver rails (looks like it was barely fired), with a cleaning kit still in the butt stock, all matching, down to gas piston. $350 for Chinese and $600 for Tula. I think I did OK. Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 AM   #37
Tatsbysak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddak View Post
New to SKS. LAst month I picked up an all matching Factory 26 Chinese, with the bayo still there and yesterday walked away with a 1954 Tula. Original stock, not re-arsenaled, as far as I can tell, very little wear on the receiver rails (looks like it was barely fired), with a cleaning kit still in the butt stock, all matching, down to gas piston. $350 for Chinese and $600 for Tula. I think I did OK. Thoughts?
Would need a lot of detailed pics of the Tula to give it a value. If it’s an actual non refurb you did good, if it is a refurb you paid about right or a little high.
Tatsbysak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #38
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

Without pics, you did well on the Chinese and a little high on the Russian. With prices on the rise and supply dwindling, I'd say you did just fine over all.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #39
Jeddak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsbysak View Post
Would need a lot of detailed pics of the Tula to give it a value. If it’s an actual non refurb you did good, if it is a refurb you paid about right or a little high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
Without pics, you did well on the Chinese and a little high on the Russian. With prices on the rise and supply dwindling, I'd say you did just fine over all.
I think it is a an actual non-refurb Tula. Stock is numbered to the rifle, solid, not laminate. No rust anywhere. Chrome on the muzzle crown is bright and shiny, much brighter looking than on the Chinese (rifling on both looks sharp)
Stripped it down, all numbers match, from piston to sight leaf. Did not see a number on the bayonet. Should there be one? Bayo is silver, matte. No rust anywhere.

Right side of the butt stock:

Last edited by Jeddak; 03-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Jeddak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #40
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

I'd say you did just fine on the Russian. It's a little high but you certainly didn't over pay. They aren't getting any cheaper for all matching nonrefurbs. Congrats on your purchases!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #41
Jeddak
Veteran Member

Thank you! In GA SKS prices are CRAZY. I have seen Chinese SKS go for $450 (regular., not SKS-D or SKS-M)
Should the bayonet have a number as well? And what the double circle stamp (last pic) on the right side of the stock?

PS here is another "all matching Russian SKS" https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...ition.1923994/

Last edited by Jeddak; 03-20-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #42
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanmccoy View Post
Kick myself everytime I think about it for not jumpin' on that one....matter of fact look at the "SKS IN ACTION" thread scroll down pg1 to pic of "Russin SKS being fired for 1st time " it looked just like THAT...........oh man
I have its twin bother to the one in the oic. Have thought about selling it a few times. Matter of fact, I offered it to the person that started this thread. Think I am going to hold onto it..
Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #43
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTER View Post
I have its twin bother to the one in the oic. Have thought about selling it a few times. Matter of fact, I offered it to the person that started this thread. Think I am going to hold onto it..
Yeah I'd hold it, just something about that laminated red wood[his was red,] , that rifle was a real Beaut............
And Do NO Wrong:
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #44
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanmccoy View Post
Yeah I'd hold it, just something about that laminated red wood[his was red,] , that rifle was a real Beaut............
Yes, the wood grain and deep shine is off the charts. I just dont shoot it, well see.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #45
JumboJett35

AKaholic #: 180363

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTER View Post
Yes, the wood grain and deep shine is off the charts. I just dont shoot it, well see.
I'm always looking for another
JumboJett35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #46
Escape from NY

AKaholic #: 179890

Quote:
Jed:

I take absolutely no pleasure in advising you that someone stripped the original shellac finish from the stock of your Russian SKS.

It doesn’t make it any less desirable as a “shooter” but it does destroy any serious collector’s value in this rifle.

I’m sorry.
Escape from NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #47
Jeddak
Veteran Member

? it is not a bare wood. Does not have much shine, but it is not bare wood. I see no signs that rifle was ever removed from the stock.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #48
Escape from NY

Quote:
? it is not a bare wood. Does not have much shine, but it is not bare wood. I see no signs that rifle was ever removed from the stock.
In my opinion your stock was “cleaned” with denatured alcohol and steel wool or some other abrasive material.

I’m sorry but there absolutely no doubt that your stock has been stripped.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #49
Jeddak
Veteran Member

Thank you. I have no problems with refinishing it, grew up using shellac, so it is not a big deal. Rifle will stay in my family and will be passed on to my kids.

Last edited by Jeddak; Yesterday at 09:19 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #50
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from NY View Post
In my opinion your stock was “cleaned” with denatured alcohol and steel wool or some other abrasive material.

I’m sorry but there absolutely no doubt that your stock has been stripped.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that... it definitely looks stripped, but since that damage is done, there's no harm in refinishing it.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #51
Escape from NY

Quote:
Thank you. I have no problems with refinishing it, grew up using shellac, so it is not a big deal. Rifle will stay in my family and will be passed on to my kids.
I'm glad that you accepted my comments in the constructive manner in which they were offered.

There are some people who seem to revel in bursting balloons and crushing dreams but i can assure you that I am not one of them.

I am about as strict a purist collector as you can find and I am completely opposed to the alteration, modification, or refinishing of any "original" firearm but I agree with TX that the damage to your rifle's stock is already done and there's no harm in your application of a new coat of shellac.

Good luck and take care!