Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #36
DOS AK's
Most interesting rifle in the world
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 177786

WTF! I guess they couldn't sell their last 14 for 799.00 so they raised the price back to 849.00! Beginning to think Legion hired the K-Var marketing team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strichtarn View Post
I was tempted by the VEPR deal on Friday when I got the email. Anyone else surprised that they haven't sold out since they said they only had 14 left?

Barry Goldwater

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!"
DOS AK's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #37
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS AK's View Post
WTF! I guess they couldn't sell their last 14
Where are you seeing 14 left on the page still ???

That's what you said they had left in post #1 and a few were bought.....

I can't see it anywhere.....which means this could be the last one ??

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #38
DOS AK's
Bronze Contributor

Their original email they sent out said they had 14 left at the 799 price, that was Friday afternoon. Just now received another email saying they only have 4 left, but now the price is 849.99. So it appears they sold 10 in four days at 799. And the 4 they have left are really, really, really the last ones.

Barry Goldwater

Last edited by DOS AK's; 03-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #39
DOS AK's
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
Here's couple new 5.45x39 Veprs for $899 ea. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802302868
Not a bad deal either for a 5.45. And that is a business/gun shop selling them. Kvar still has them listed for 889.00. https://www.k-var.com/vepr-545x39-caliber-rifle. Legions last price on the 5.45 was 1kwhen they sold out. It's amazing, in June it will be two years since the sanctions. Gives you an idea of how many were in various stages of the pipeline when sanctions hit.

Barry Goldwater

Old 03-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Ah.....that makes sense.
To be honest I was shocked to see them drop to $799 again.....why I grabbed it.

Theres more in the pipelines Im sure, always is.

Doubt it will get cheaper tho, and these are a sure thing for increasing in value
once converted especially. Sporters sell slower because less people want to
Attempt conversions. Same with Saigas

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Old 03-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #41
DOS AK's
Bronze Contributor

Legion Sold Out of 7.62!

Barry Goldwater

Old 03-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #42
SillyNoob

AKaholic #: 187474

Aceshigh, I always appreciate your suggestions, ended up opening up and switching to new credit line for a free $500

Will use that money to buy more magazines
SillyNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #43
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyNoob View Post
Aceshigh, I always appreciate your suggestions, ended up opening up and switching to new credit line for a free $500

Will use that money to buy more magazines
Hell yeah.

Keepin it 2nd Amendment friendly for the America we deserve.
Make the bankers pay for us to be clients, and support our hobby

Quote:
Old 03-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #44
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

FYI, I purchased my 16" x39 Vepr Sporter for $699 preban. Why are some saying they're surprised they're back to $799 "again?" Were they $799 for a while post ban, and then the price raised again by $40 or something?

Maybe it's me, but I don't see a $40-$50 price difference on an $800-$850 rifle being THAT great of a deal... Not something that makes me, at least, want to rush out and grab my credit card... $40-$50 difference on a sub $400 or a $500ish handgun, maybe.... Legion only dropped the price by 5%...

Last edited by praxidike; 03-14-2019 at 08:58 AM.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #45
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaughlin View Post
Not really the ones that are a issue are the Slant stock Veprs this is not

You should only need a bullet guide Hand Guard Retainer Dremel to pin out muzzle nut for a basic conversion and some nice furniture
These are the slant Vepr sporters... They have the same model number as the one I own. It will not take a regular AK stock.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #46
seabass47

AKaholic #: 197196

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
FYI, I purchased my 16" x39 Vepr Sporter for $699 preban. Why are some saying they're surprised they're back to $799 "again?" Were they $799 for a while post ban, and then the price raised again by $40 or something?

Maybe it's me, but I don't see a $40-$50 price difference on an $800-$850 rifle being THAT great of a deal... Not something that makes me, at least, want to rush out and grab my credit card... $40-$50 difference on a sub $400 or a $500ish handgun, maybe....
I get what you're saying. $499 would be a better price

All in all, with shit rifles like the VSKA cookie crumbler going for $799 when first released, I think these Vepr's are a pretty good deal still.

I'd say a $100 price cut would've prob sold them out in a day.
seabass47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #47
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass47 View Post
I get what you're saying. $499 would be a better price

All in all, with shit rifles like the VSKA cookie crumbler going for $799 when first released, I think these Vepr's are a pretty good deal still.

I'd say a $100 price cut would've prob sold them out in a day.
I agree that these are a better buy than other AKs currently on the market at the same price point, but the fudd looking wood and thumbhole stock turns a lot of tacticool people off. They'd rather buy a Magpul'd Century AK for the same price. Others are turned off by the proprietary parts, more specifically, the magazines and slant stock...

I'm turned off by the lack of warrenty support and parts should I really want to shoot the hell out of it and Murphy rears his ugly head.. They're investments, safe queens, and occasional range guns for me...

Last edited by praxidike; 03-14-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #48
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:

Maybe it's me, but I don't see a $40-$50 price difference on an $800-$850 rifle being THAT great of a deal... Not something that makes me, at least, want to rush out and grab my credit card... $40-$50 difference on a sub $400 or a $500ish handgun, maybe.... Legion only dropped the price by 5%...
Impulse buying.....

There's no real logic to it, $50 isn't alot......but impulses can be a bitch sometimes.
I think it was because I haven't converted one yet, and the thought of buying one was on the edge for so long......that tipped it over the edge.

Plus $500 of that was "Free" cash from Capital One SAVOR, so why not....
Curious if anyone else had an impulse moment ?? No one else bought one ??

Truthfully I was questioning the decision afterwards, debating if I should cancel. I really have no room.
I will need about $500 more to convert it , or less.......to my liking at least.

Quote:

Last edited by Aceshigh; 03-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #49
seabass47

Quote:
I agree that these are a better buy than other AKs currently on the market at the same price point, but the fudd looking wood and thumbhole stock turns a lot of tacticool people off. They'd rather buy a Magpul'd Century AK for the same price. Others are turned off by the proprietary parts, more specifically, the magazines and slant stock...

I'm turned off by the lack of warrenty support and parts should I really want to shoot the hell out of it and Murphy rears his ugly head.. They're investments, safe queens, and occasional range guns for me...
Totally hear you on all of that.

What do you think of this thing? They had one with more of a burnt orange stock that I liked the look of more, but this goes to show you how much a person can switch up even the slant backs. I'll admit I think it's kind of cool, most wouldn't even recognize it as an "AK" lol. Lots of factory parts can be sourced at Legion too for the Saiga's and Veprs...for now.

https://www.legionusa.com/vepr-7.62x...-laminate.html

More than I'd pay though, but kinda neat!
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #50
seabass47

Let's admit it, all of the best times are on impulse buys, heart racing, beer in one hand, slamming through the checkout, oh yeah.

Good times!

In fact, I'm kind of thinking about going full-retard and buying another WASR or one of those PAP M92 pistols which have the real-deal bolt hold open that stays engaged even when magazine is removed (I have a weird boner for those) so long as you use the Yugo mags. So I've read anyway. Got more reading to do.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #51
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

That Legionusa build is pretty fugly to me. I wasn't a fan of the Sporter either and have considered selling mine multiple times. I've been inspired and so now I'm collecting parts to make mine kinda tacticool. Haven't had an AK set up with an AR buttstock or rail so we'll see how it goes. Will also have an optic which none of mine have either. If I hate it, then I'll sell it at that point. Currently it just has a bullet guide installed and the thread protector cut so I can mount a muzzle device of my choosing.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #52
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
That Legionusa build is pretty fugly to me. I wasn't a fan of the Sporter either and have considered selling mine multiple times. I've been inspired and so now I'm collecting parts to make mine kinda tacticool. Haven't had an AK set up with an AR buttstock or rail so we'll see how it goes. Will also have an optic which none of mine have either. If I hate it, then I'll sell it at that point. Currently it just has a bullet guide installed and the thread protector cut so I can mount a muzzle device of my choosing.
Check out the Krebs KV13.

They sold for $1850 iirc, and these are the rifles that spawned my interest in the VEPR sporters.
Now I'm not going to sit and lie to you, that setup does increase the weight.

However, to me its negligible, but not everyone will feel the same way about a lb or so added.
I just converted a SAIGA to Krebs styling and I liked it so much I grabbed 3 more of his handguards.
It's not an EXACT match with every detail, because I still haven't figured out that rear sight yet.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #53
JoeCorrado
FNG

I like the optic setup on the Krebs but I'm not crazy about the rail out front. I'm trying to keep the front end on the lighter side due to it already being heavy with the thicker profile barrel. Good looking setup though!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #54
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS AK's View Post
WTF! I guess they couldn't sell their last 14 for 799.00 so they raised the price back to 849.00! Beginning to think Legion hired the K-Var marketing team.
They had Russian RPKs for $1499 a year or so ago. I was buying one when they went out of stock. Was told "we'll have more within 2 months don't worry".

When they had more they had jacked the price up I think to $1699?

Now I may have paid $1699, but it annoyed me to be offered one price, told "We'll have more soon" with no mention of a price increase only to have that price jacked up because "these are the last we'll have."

That's capitalism, but in a free market I'm able to take my money elsewhere which sadly I did.
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #55
seabass47

Quote:
I hear you, definitely not something I'd ever pay that kind of money for LOL!

Between that design and others posted here, just goes to show there is a wide-range of good, to bad, to fugly you can do with these sporter models.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #56
JoeCorrado
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass47 View Post
I hear you, definitely not something I'd ever pay that kind of money for LOL!

Between that design and others posted here, just goes to show there is a wide-range of good, to bad, to fugly you can do with these sporter models.
Truth! Plus I won't feel bad about going tacticool with this rifle since it isn't a semi auto clone of anything offered in Russia. I tend to make mine look as they should have in the motherland than modernizing like many do.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #57
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Whats the going rate for a vepr fm in 7.62x39 these days? I almost jumped on this deal till I started adding up how much I would sink into it to make it right. Seems like you'd almost be at the same price as if you picked up an fm.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #58
JoeCorrado
FNG

I'm wanting to say they're at least $1200+
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #59
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm wanting to say they're at least $1200+
Yea around $1200-$1400... I haven't seen many on sale anymore. Good luck finding one. I don't see and fixed stock FM-47-11's on sale on Gunbroker, no one is still selling them NIB online AFAIK, and the only one I could find that will ship is on ArmsList. They're asking about $1400, so I'm not even sure you can even find these for $1200 anymore.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #60
JoeCorrado
FNG

I looked at a FM folder almost a year ago with an asking price around $1800. This was new at a gun store in Louisiana. Even that might be a deal compared to what they'll bring in the future. I'll be happy enough with my Sporter after I'm done with a few upgrades I think.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #61
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
Whats the going rate for a vepr fm in 7.62x39 these days?
Brand new ?? $1400-$1600. The higher end is the folder model iirc.
Imagine what the Krebs KV-13's are going for now tho, they started @ $1850 and were originally sporters.

Me personally I never liked the FM with the bulbous fugly handguards tho. Ever since they debuted
even @ $1000, I was always saying the VEPR Sporter @ $600 was more my style to customize and make
it better looking for the same $$$. Opinions of course, but even now still, the Sporter is a better
deal. I prefer length of pull adjustable stocks as well, so the Krebs slant adaptor is perfect.

The FM really only has the square back receiver going for it , if that's a necessity for a buyer.
The rest isn't expensive to do, and I prefer overmolded handgrips, and fancier handguards I can't leave anything "stock"

https://krebscustomak47.com/products...tstock-adapter

Here's one of my IZ-240L's I paid $500 for, nearly completed. Still have to swap the FSB or cut shroud and thread it.
This is about ~$850 total into this rifle so far. I prefer choosing a style path myself. More fun, costs less.

Quote:

Last edited by Aceshigh; 03-16-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #62
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Brand new ?? $1400-$1600. The higher end is the folder model iirc.
Imagine what the Krebs KV-13's are going for now tho, they started @ $1850 and were originally sporters.

Me personally I never liked the FM with the bulbous fugly handguards tho. Ever since they debuted
even @ $1000, I was always saying the VEPR Sporter @ $600 was more my style to customize and make
it better looking for the same $$$. Opinions of course, but even now still, the Sporter is a better
deal. I prefer length of pull adjustable stocks as well, so the Krebs slant adaptor is perfect.

The FM really only has the square back receiver going for it , if that's a necessity for a buyer.
The rest isn't expensive to do, and I prefer overmolded handgrips, and fancier handguards I can't leave anything "stock"

https://krebscustomak47.com/products...tstock-adapter

Here's one of my IZ-240L's I paid $500 for, nearly completed. Still have to swap the FSB or cut shroud and thread it.
This is about ~$850 total into this rifle so far. I prefer choosing a style path myself. More fun, costs less.
Keep telling yourself that the Sported is better than the FM Ace. Justify your purchase, but I believe you're in the about 1% who believe that.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #63
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

I will !!! Thanks

You do realize opinions are opinions, no reason to get in a tiff over opinions.

I do believe the Krebs KV-13 (modified Sporter) is leaps and bounds better then all yes.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #64
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
I will !!! Thanks

You do realize opinions are opinions, no reason to get in a tiff over opinions.

I do believe the Krebs KV-13 (modified Sporter) is leaps and bounds better then all yes.
Giving you a hard time. When they were $1000 or less, the FM was definitely the better deal IMHO. They were under $900 at a few online stores right before the ban. Now, not so much. The only thing with converted Sporters is that some people look negatively on user/owner gunsmithed weapons. Even more people aren't going to want to pay for some else's upgrades, so you'll lose value on that too. With that said and even though the much more abundant Sports are currently the better deal, IMHO, the FMs will appreciate much more over time which will eventually make the money saved now by irrelevant. I still have a x39 and .308 Sport that I'm on the fence about altering.

As far as Krebs KV-13 goes, it's better feature and ergonomics wise, but I'm more info the classic look for AKs. I'd still buy the KV-13 in a heartbeat over a FM if money was no object.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #65
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

No worries, it's all in good fun.
Agreed, people do set higher expectations on claimed US gunsmith/business modified weapons VS home built.

The oddity is up until you gain enough reputation like say ......Krazy Ukrainian who sold converted SAIGA's for over $2K
and I think one was bought for $5k but not sure if they ever paid. End of the day, they're all just guns, that SOMEONE modified.
SGL's just a modified SAIGA by Arsenal, FIME etc. KV13 is just a VEPR Sporter by Krebs, etc.

It's a goofy market thing. You either play along or make your own rules.
I tend to make my own rules and I'm not big into selling so......that's just me.

I look at everything as a tool, what am I getting for my $$$, and I modify alot cuz I'm weird like that. I like customizing.

Quote: