Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #36
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Awesome rifle DDNC. What is the cheek attachment on the stock. Is that custom? I love that Galil stock. I did a double take at first because I have the CNC Warrior version on a couple of guns. And then I'm like, wait a minute, that is a Galil after all so what better stock for it.

Actually one major advantage I just thought of looking at DDNC's set up is that the ACE in 7.62x39 should be an excellent suppressor host where you wouldn't have to worry about baffle strikes and the sealed dust cover theoretically might help w any gas face.

Anyone running cans on em
Old 03-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #37
corruptgarage

AKaholic #: 183907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
How much does your ace weigh with a loaded mag?
Never weighed it. I'll see if I can dig out a scale tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #38
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
Nice setup man, how do you like those handguards? Iím thinking of picking up the RS handguards
The MI handguards should be standard equipment, IMHO.
They are a tad lighter and feel 1000% better with more mounting options.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #39
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
The MI handguards should be standard equipment, IMHO.
They are a tad lighter and feel 1000% better with more mounting options.
You like the MI handguards better than the RS Regulate ones?
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #40
cal50
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
I personally do.
I like the more oval profile than the box feel.

My M1A in a SAGE chassis is boxy.
My Sig 556 SWAT is boxy.
My POF is not boxy.
My ACE is not boxy.

Either replacement handguard is more functional than the stock original.
Really depends on your need and what you like but both are top quality.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #41
werra

AKaholic #: 174432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
You can also mill off the mag well ďwingsĒ and all mags will fit. Circle 10s or Tapcos (ribbed) wonít fit due to that.
I would like to do this!!! Can you tell me the best way to do this? Any advice would be great! Can you post a close up pic of the cut around the mag release?
Old 03-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #42
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by werra View Post
I would like to do this!!! Can you tell me the best way to do this? Any advice would be great! Can you post a close up pic of the cut around the mag release?
Just look at the inside of the mag well. It’s a straight line horizontally across to the mag release housing. From there it is 90 degree angle down. So basically a “L” shape that will be removing a triangle shaped piece of material. You can use a mill or a hacksaw or a Dremel. It’s not a big deal.
Smooth and radius the edges with a file. Here is my 3 pin machine gun (NOT) that I had to return so they could destroy it a couple years ago. Did the same on it and figured what the hell, wasn’t going to be able to keep it anyway. What a bunch of BS that was.

ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #43
Cookie94

AKaholic #: 195758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
OP I am going go go against the grain a bit and point out some of the areas of the ACE that made me shy away initially, although this thread has me seriously considering it again.

Also as others have noted above, A LOT of digital ink was spilled by many of us a couple years back analyzing the pros and cons when it was first released and there are several excellent reviews by members (DDNC and MakAK47 off the top of my head).

Ok so here is a short list of things to consider.

1) For the 7.62x39 model you need to worry about 922r compliance if you plan to use non-U.S. mags. This is not a huge issue as u can swap parts pretty easily I think, but the owners manual makes a big deal out of it.

2) Some users end up removing the rear sight to mount an optic lower. Some have grumbled a bit on this.

3) The dust cover picatinny rail caused initial concern about return to zero or super accuracy with magnified optics. My recolection is that almost everyone said it is GTG w red dots tho. long term sturdiness may be good. Owners will have more feedback.

4) there was some minor quibbling about the front sight post(?) having to be cranked all the way up to get the gun to zero. This one may have been resolved by now.

5) Initial accuracy was 3-4 MOA for the x39, which is on par w many AKs, but a little disappointing given the price of the gun.

6) many of the parts are not standard AK parts. It essentially is a proprietary gun in 7.62x39.

7) furniture. Personally this one never bothered me, but many were put off by the front end handguards and some were peeved that the stock is not standard M-4. It looks like replacement furniture is out there and doesn't seem too hard to install. I would check reviews here on it.

8) Weight, which others have mentioned. This one doesn't bother me as much either as I have other AKs, but if this were my go to SHTF gun I might think about it more. But at the end of the day it is a rugged as heck milled AK and that comes w some weight.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but hopefully that is helpful in giving you a fuller picture of the carbine. Some of these areas may have been addressed and I am sure others will jump in to update anything or add.
Very thoughtful and genuine reply, thank you.
Cookie94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #44
KalashniKEV
Banned

AKaholic #: 174261

Quote:
Peddling trash lol
Quote:
Haha ok cool story bro

Haters gonna hate
No hate, just facts- obviously I wouldn't be building Galils if I didn't think they were neat.

When the OP said G.O.A.T, which I understand to mean "greatest of all time," I assumed that what he meant was "rifle."

Galil was not the greatest in it's time, and certainly didn't become any more great by adding 1913 rails, or putting the charging handle on the wrong side with a complex floating cover.

A very basic, entry-level AR like a 6920 will best it in every relevant, measurable way.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #45
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
No hate, just facts- obviously I wouldn't be building Galils if I didn't think they were neat.

When the OP said G.O.A.T, which I understand to mean "greatest of all time," I assumed that what he meant was "rifle."

Galil was not the greatest in it's time, and certainly didn't become any more great by adding 1913 rails, or putting the charging handle on the wrong side with a complex floating cover.

A very basic, entry-level AR like a 6920 will best it in every relevant, measurable way.
You've offered little to no facts, Rev06 actually added to the conversation, youíre throwing out unsubstantiated claims and random feelings

Your above statement makes it obvious youíre more obsessed with looks than function, the left side charging handle is way better than the original Galilís and being able to quickly mount an optic on picatinny beats the shit out of the originals Galilís goofy ass mount, especially with an upturned charging handle where the ACEís handle clears optics no problem during operation

As far as 6920, I have both, the ACE is more reliable, and thatís pretty relevant
Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #46
KalashniKEV
Banned

Quote:
As far as 6920, I have both, the ACE is more reliable, and thatís pretty relevant
Nope.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #47
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Nope.
K, have fun trolling bruh
Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #48
werra

AKaholic #: 174432

Quote:
Just look at the inside of the mag well. Itís a straight line horizontally across to the mag release housing. From there it is 90 degree angle down. So basically a ďLĒ shape that will be removing a triangle shaped piece of material. You can use a mill or a hacksaw or a Dremel. Itís not a big deal.
Smooth and radius the edges with a file. Here is my 3 pin machine gun (NOT) that I had to return so they could destroy it a couple years ago. Did the same on it and figured what the hell, wasnít going to be able to keep it anyway. What a bunch of BS that was.

Well, I just completed the mod! Should have come from the factory that way.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #49
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by werra View Post
Well, I just completed the mod! Should have come from the factory that way.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!
Nice do you have pics of yours?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #50
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Awesome rifle DDNC. What is the cheek attachment on the stock. Is that custom?.......
No. I got them from APEX.
On my Action Arms Galil that I bought NIB back in Ď94 ($725) the riser can be angled left or right to accommodate the offset left PSOP. Top cover and guts can be removed without taking off the optic.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #51
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
I personally do.
I like the more oval profile than the box feel.

My M1A in a SAGE chassis is boxy.
My Sig 556 SWAT is boxy.
My POF is not boxy.
My ACE is not boxy.

Either replacement handguard is more functional than the stock original.
Really depends on your need and what you like but both are top quality.
I just put the RS handguard on my .308 ACE and have the MI on my X39 so I thought I'd chime in on this. I agree I like the more oval feel of the MI and on my RS I put the Mechforce panels that help round the feel so it's not really that boxy anymore. I do like them both, both are very well made and fit perfect and are light years better than the stock handguard. I'm happy with both and like having the diversity.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #52
cal50
Curio & Relic

I know some people will bitch about a not cheap rifle and replacing the handguard but its a personal preference thing and easy to replace.

I have an old school three prong flash hider on mine now and waiting for a MOE grip to remove and replace the factory plastic lower. Not that any of it is needed but making it the way you want is part owning and using the thing.

Either aftermarket handguard is a HUGE improvement over stock IMHO.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #53
Hondo

AKaholic #: 178348

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptgarage View Post
Never weighed it. I'll see if I can dig out a scale tomorrow and report back.
Did some digging.....It appears that it's weight empty is 3.45 Kg.

That's about 7.6 lbs + 1.14 lbs for a loaded magazine....8.74lbs no optic/mount.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #54
mtnrider

AKaholic #: 180348

I have a 7.62x39 Ace rifle. Build quality (machining) is great, have no issues with that. Shoots about 2-3 moa which is pretty typical for the round in my experience.

Some of my gripes are the front sight. I have one of the early rifles so don't know if it ever got fixed but mine is adjusted Way out to zero. So far that it is lose and just wobbles around.

My picitinny rail on the top is not level across the cover and gas tube. It slopes down from the middle so any optics mount would have to be completely on one or the other. I don't see it a great mounting solution for any kind of long range optic, just a red dot would be about it (and fine for this caliber)

It's a little on the heavy side

The handguard is atrocious. Fixed that by replacing it with the RS regulate aftermarket handguard.

And last I really wish they would have not used that polymer 1 piece lower. I'll swap that out at some point if I can source the right trigger guard and parts. (going for that original Galil look)

I'm a collector so it was worth it to add one to my collection. If I was buying it as a go-to rifle I honestly don't see the cost benefit over a decent AK for half the price.

Just my opinion of course, I'm sure some with disagree with me.
mtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #55
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrider View Post
I have a 7.62x39 Ace rifle. Build quality (machining) is great, have no issues with that. Shoots about 2-3 moa which is pretty typical for the round in my experience.

Some of my gripes are the front sight. I have one of the early rifles so don't know if it ever got fixed but mine is adjusted Way out to zero. So far that it is lose and just wobbles around.

My picitinny rail on the top is not level across the cover and gas tube. It slopes down from the middle so any optics mount would have to be completely on one or the other. I don't see it a great mounting solution for any kind of long range optic, just a red dot would be about it (and fine for this caliber)

It's a little on the heavy side

The handguard is atrocious. Fixed that by replacing it with the RS regulate aftermarket handguard.

And last I really wish they would have not used that polymer 1 piece lower. I'll swap that out at some point if I can source the right trigger guard and parts. (going for that original Galil look)

I'm a collector so it was worth it to add one to my collection. If I was buying it as a go-to rifle I honestly don't see the cost benefit over a decent AK for half the price.

Just my opinion of course, I'm sure some with disagree with me.
I really don't disagree with anything you've said. You gave a pretty honest assessment of it. I don't have either front sight or rail issues on my X39 and I run a PA 3X Prism scope because it's more than adequate for the round.I think my accuracy is a little better than yours by maybe by .5 MOA. Yeah they are on the heavy side but so are my M1's and HK so I just accept it for what it is weight wise. A decent AK for half the price is a good choice too, I just bought the ACE because I like it for what it is, it's very well made, supremely reliable and just a real good kind of expensive gun albeit a little heavy. I'm not going to be hauling it through the woods on a march so I don't really care about the weight. For me it's just a really cool alternative to a milled AK and close to one price wise and weight wise. Are they for everybody? Maybe not but what is. All I can say is I took a chance and bought one and liked it so much I bought the .308 and like it a lot too. A guy could spend just as much or even more on something else and get a lot less.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #56
mx557

AKaholic #: 2494

I have owned most ak47 makes and still own many. the galil ace is the best example
of the kalish design that i have seen to date by a long margin. many of the previous
posts have already stated all the improvements. they are expensive though. buy one
if you can.
mx557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:32 AM   #57
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

If I didn't already have 16" ARs, AKs, and HKs (clones) in .308 I would definitely be looking hard at the ACE. In 5.56 I am really torn between the ACE and a CZ Bren.

Totally different guns, but at this point in time they kind of would fulfill the same role for me quasi-collectible, high quality, built like a tank folding stock, piston driven 5.56 that uses AR mags.

I was surprised to read above that the 5.56 only weighs 7.6Lbs? That's the same as my SLR-106 FR and a full pound lighter than the CZ Bren. That would make a difference to me.

Anyone know precisely where that data point came from?
Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #58
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
If I didn't already have 16" ARs, AKs, and HKs (clones) in .308 I would definitely be looking hard at the ACE. In 5.56 I am really torn between the ACE and a CZ Bren.

Totally different guns, but at this point in time they kind of would fulfill the same role for me quasi-collectible, high quality, built like a tank folding stock, piston driven 5.56 that uses AR mags.

I was surprised to read above that the 5.56 only weighs 7.6Lbs? That's the same as my SLR-106 FR and a full pound lighter than the CZ Bren. That would make a difference to me.

Anyone know precisely where that data point came from?
Either one will work for you. Personally, if I could only get one and had only the $$$ for one I would choose the Bren.
The differences are slight but here goes.
Bren, better trigger, slightly better accuracy. The Bren is also completely modular. Meaning you can remove the barrel with an Allen wrench. That means at some point you will only need a barrel, and bolt for caliber change. The mag well is also completely able to be changed out.
Canít do those things on the ACE.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #59
Bushmaster47

AKaholic #: 174530

Quote:
Either one will work for you. Personally, if I could only get one and had only the $$$ for one I would choose the Bren.
The differences are slight but here goes.
Bren, better trigger, slightly better accuracy. The Bren is also completely modular. Meaning you can remove the barrel with an Allen wrench. That means at some point you will only need a barrel, and bolt for caliber change. The mag well is also completely able to be changed out.
Canít do those things on the ACE.
+1

Also, CZ currently offers most spare parts for the Bren, IWI however doesnt currently offer any spare parts for the Galil ACE.

Not sure if some retro Galil parts or AK parts (trigger and recoil springs) are interchangeable with the Ace.
Bushmaster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #60
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster47 View Post
+1

Also, CZ currently offers most spare parts for the Bren, IWI however doesnt currently offer any spare parts for the Galil ACE.

Not sure if some retro Galil parts or AK parts (trigger and recoil springs) are interchangeable with the Ace.
This is good info, still waiting on ACE spare parts from IWI, or other accessories in general

Iím holding out and hopeful for the Bren 2
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 AM   #61
Xanthippus
Brain in a vat

AKaholic #: 183179

I own an Ace in 5.56. It's fun to shoot, kicks brass and steel into the next zipcode, and has nice ergos... but damn it gets heavy. Replaced the handguard for a Midwest rifle size M-Lok guard, replaced the buttstock for a fixed tubular stock (Warsaw length), and currently has a Trijicon AccuPower scope...
With a full mag, it's a little over 11 lbs. Compared to other 5.56 rifles, it's one heavy chunk of steel.

It has about 1000-ish rounds, give or take, through the tube and it has eaten anything and everything, without fail. Due to its weight, I'm unsure if it would be my first choice to grab, if I had the time and luxury to deliberate.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

Talk is cheap, a well-placed shot isn't.

Let your desires and emotions be ruled by reason.
Xanthippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #62
Returned
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 189425

I traded mine for a BREN. The ACE is not just hype. It is a solid rifle. After my shooting mine showed almost NO finish wear on internals. No deformation. No tail or on lugs. No scoring, etc.

When it comes to a well made AK, the ACE is that. It is also too heavy for me and I am going to be happier with the BEN 805 in the same price range. With new heavier bullet offerings 556 is a great all around round. I am wondering if they will ever make a 6.5 Grendel or 300 Blackout for the BREN. I'd buy a 300 Blackout for an 805 in a heartbeat. Esp the SBR I am going to have.

Dies irś, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustiś, dies calamitatis et miseriś, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulś et turbinis, dies tubś et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos
Returned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #63
Curry Bread

AKaholic #: 188388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returned View Post
When it comes to a well made AK, the ACE is that. It is also too heavy for me and I am going to be happier with the BEN 805 in the same price range.
According to the manufacturer websites, the 805 is 8.5lbs and the ACE is 7.5lbs.
Curry Bread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #64
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Hahahaha, mah ninja!

Don't you think if IWI could have sold them to one of those countries for equal value they would have just done that instead of bringing them here and recalling them a few months later? IWI was dumping ACE on the US market that nobody else would buy.
Yes, a confirmed idiot.

Any smart company would want as many sales as possible in as many markets as possible including civilian 'Merican sales since we love guns and there is 320 million of us and the world's biggest economy, dipshit. Yea, let's totally ignore the biggest economy on the planet with the largest concentration of gun owners. What could possibly go wrong? Only a moron like you would think that is a good idea!!

The fact several are building them for themselves shows you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about as usual.

Quote:
The SOF elements of most of those countries don't use Galils either... wanna guess what they use?
LOL and I am the "mah ninja"? (mall ninja, retard)

I don't give a fuck what their SOF or any SOF uses because they aren't the final arbiters of what is considered good or not. Take your appeal to authority fallacy and shove it up your ass. That has no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. Only a MALL ninja would give a fuck about that trivial shit.

Last edited by Scott7891; 04-12-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #65
KalashniKEV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Any smart company would want as many sales as possible in as many markets as possible...
IWI is not a smart company. See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
The fact several are building them for themselves shows you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about as usual.
Nobody is building ACE.

Folks have inquired about the possibility of converting ACE into a classic Galil, but IWI is no longer capable of producing and delivering the classic Galil, which is what people are building and desiring.

Stop with your estrogen fit and think about it- Is the "Galil ACE the G.O.A.T?"

No... because it's not even "good" in it's own time

"Was the classic Galil the G.O.A.T?"

No... because it was not even the greatest in it's own time.

That doesn't mean you're not allowed to like them.