Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602
Default Bushmaster ACR; keep it or pickup somethig else??

Hey, just spitballing here and looking for opinions..

I recently traded for a Bushmaster ACR and I kind of like the rifle. So why do I want to get rid of it already?? I just do; its the same way with women. Pick em up lightly used, have a little fun and trade em in before you get stuck with them lol.

Right now the ACR is in short supply and since the shooting have been selling on Gunbroker etc. I could probably get $1500 for mine.

In todays' market for $1500 what would you rather have than an ACR? or keep it?? It seems that Remington/bushmaster is supporting the platform again but how much longer is that going to last?
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Haven't dug too deeply into the ACR, but it looks good on the surface. What is it not doing that you want? Or do you have overlapping capabilities in that area? (Folding stock, takes AR mags, 2-3 moa(?) shoots 5.56 etc)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

Bushmaster ACR has always been an interesting rifle that I would like to get some time behind. Unfortunately I haven't had that chance yet. I have read reviews of guys really liking them and others where they didn't care for them too much. Aftermarket support doesn't seem to have taken off that much for it, has it?

I know the ACR stock is fantastic and guys end up putting that on all kinds of rifles due to how nice it is.

I guess it depends what you would get to replace it if you were going to put that money back into one. CZ 805 Bren are going for <$1300, that would leave you $200 left over for something else. That is what I personally would probably do, but that is based on my experience with the 805 and really liking it.

I guess it really depends what you are thinking of getting instead of the ACR.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
HPP
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 19940

Don't they have a 9 twist barrel? That would annoy the hell out of me because I have 2000+ 77gr nosler bullets sitting here that I'd like to use.

Other than that if you like it keep it, if not sell it.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
AK_Fanatic_N_AZ

AKaholic #: 164223

Recent ACRs are now shipping with a 1/7 twist barrel.
AK_Fanatic_N_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #6
NMGuy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182584

I think the only issue with the ACR is it’s a little front heavy. I think making the barrel change handle removable and store it in the stock would reduce the front heaviness a little...

Fun rifles to shoot. I like it more than the SCAR. A lot of guys who have shot both feel the same...

I personally am having trouble deciding between a Galil ACE in 5.56 and ACR in 5.56... tough call...
NMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 AM   #7
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
I think the only issue with the ACR is it’s a little front heavy. I think making the barrel change handle removable and store it in the stock would reduce the front heaviness a little...

Fun rifles to shoot. I like it more than the SCAR. A lot of guys who have shot both feel the same...

I personally am having trouble deciding between a Galil ACE in 5.56 and ACR in 5.56... tough call...
If you have no interest in a SCAR or a 805, I would take a look at the Robinson XCR as well. Obviously a smaller company and the issues that go with that.

Honestly, unless I found a ridiculous great deal on a ACR or XCR, I would just go with either the SCAR or 805 depending what my preference was between those two. Both of those have a much larger market support for them. Plus are military proven rifles.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
HPP
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 19940

SCAR, CZ, Galil, we are living in the time of plenty so live it up

also:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

The ACR is truly an amazing rifle but I don't have much to compare it to except an AR. The weight doesn't bother me but then again I'm not hauling it around all day/every day... its just a range toy. Its accurate and fun to shoot. I was just going to sell it because I found a nice AR10 rifle that I want and have been buying too much after I swore I would sell some stuff....

At the end of the day I would grab my AK for any type of emergency situation. If you can grab an ACR for a decent price I say go for it. I've owned and shot many other battle/assault rifles but none like the bren or sig etc mentioned.

Yes, mine has the 9 twist barrel and its fine for 62 gr etc. I believe you can order the 7 or 9 if you buy it new but all the replacement barrels I've seen for sale in different lengths seem to be 1:7.
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Some bad things that can be said about the ACR

And some good things.

If you like the ACR then stick with it and if not or if you just want to try something else if you're trying to stick with the type of rifle then look at the Galil Ace, Bren 805 (as long as an 8.5lb 556 doesn't bother you), or the Berreta ARX (as long as the silhouette of a Tuna doesn't bother you) or the MCX and MCX Virtus. Outside of a Scar those IMO are the best AK/AR alternatives and within those choices the MCX and Galil Ace are my favorites. If you're interested in trying something completely new and different from the ACR then an AR10 is such a versatile and potentially accurate platform. Or maybe an AR15 build in 6.5 grendel. The Tavor 7 is coming out and so is the Berreta ARX in 308. The B&T GHM9 9mm sub gun is a sweet looking PCC with Swiss craftsmanship for $1,300, or maybe a CZ Scorpion 9mm for around $700 it's alot of gun. Then on a completely different note you can get a Tikka TAC 3A1 bolt in 6.5cm for $1,500 too. And don't forget Wolf is supposed to be bringing in 9x39 ammo and uppers which is the Russian version of subsonic 300blk but better, pricing hasn't been released on the ammo but it's steel cased and hopefully will be inexpensive.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
hoevito
Superhero

AKaholic #: 163060

Also got a chance to play with a Scar 16 and ACR side by side awhile back.

The ACR left a better impression, and actually felt like a well made rifle. The Scar didn't by comparison.

Still would take a Bren 805 over both in a heartbeat, but the ACR doesn't get the love it deserves IMO...
Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
burninglegs

Magpul Masada had a lot of potential. Bushmaster ACR, not so much. The Masada was doomed when Busmaster picked it up.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:16 AM   #13
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Magpul Masada had a lot of potential. Bushmaster ACR, not so much. The Masada was doomed when Busmaster picked it up.
Yep had this design been handled by a company that supported it and generationalally improved it it would be different. Damn shame a 202 year old American gun company a piece of American history and of Western culture going down the tubes.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote