Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Notices

Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
skoodge

AKaholic #: 168030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cation3 View Post
Already said it, but don't buy anything. Call them and they will swap the adapter out. Also, the Wolverine was sent back because the stock adapter would not unthread from the can.
Did you call the number listed as General Inquiries & Customer Support? I left a message on the voicemail yesterday morning, and havent gotten a call back yet. Tried again just now and got the voicemail again. Hoping thats the right number. The voicemail said it was Rob with DeadAir.

Update. Left a message again and got a call back today. He said the 24mm long adapter is the same overall length, but the inside that shoulders to the muzzle is 1/8in shorter than the standard version.

Last edited by skoodge; 03-07-2018 at 11:58 PM.
skoodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #37
AlikN

AKaholic #: 166234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilLyWilLy View Post
Ok guys here is the deal after the range today. With a DA Wolverine .....
How does it suppress, safe without ear protection ?
AlikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:25 AM   #38
ChilLyWilLy

AKaholic #: 185882

I shot it indoors only so far since my SBR is still there. I never took off my double ear protection. Supersonics, especially indoors, I would not dare. When I have time to take it outdoors I can update. I already have tinnitus so I wouldn't be the best judge lol.
ChilLyWilLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #39
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

No supersonic ammo is going to be hearing safe.
Towerofpower93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #40
ChilLyWilLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerofpower93 View Post
No supersonic ammo is going to be hearing safe.
https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...nic-suppressed
Old 03-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #41
Towerofpower93

Quote:
There are no metered decibel numbers in that article, only words like 'comfortable' and 'what you feel' to make the case that you might not need ear pro while shooting supersonic ammo.

Hearing loss is cumulative, but even a single shot can cause irreparable damage.

As someone with tinnitus and hearing loss from exposure to loud noises, the only thing I shoot without ear pro is subsonic .22lr out of a suppressed bolt gun.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #42
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

AKSU and the PBS-1 do go well together

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #43
ChilLyWilLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerofpower93 View Post
There are no metered decibel numbers in that article, only words like 'comfortable' and 'what you feel' to make the case that you might not need ear pro while shooting supersonic ammo.

Hearing loss is cumulative, but even a single shot can cause irreparable damage.

As someone with tinnitus and hearing loss from exposure to loud noises, the only thing I shoot without ear pro is subsonic .22lr out of a suppressed bolt gun.
Well they say hearing safe. Hearing safe OSHA, is <140db. Don't know why they would post db unless they were testing out a specific suppressor on a specific platform anyways. If you want Db for your POV that's fine. Db at ear and Db at muzzle is the common test areas. I believe supersonic rounds would sound sharp without ears but I don't believe it would reach over 140 Db at the ear outside. The crack would travel down range with the bullet dissipating the sound the farther AWAY from you it goes. This is my understanding. If you have another theory please lemme know.

I'm not rich enough to have proper equipment and no first hand experience seeing people shoot supers suppressed w/ a meter, but I've seen videos of at ear Db below 140 using supers.

Here is a video if you want Db ratings and an explanation. He's using M80 which is 100% super.
https://youtu.be/1uroNmDS6wk

Now that we got that out of the way I'm not expecting a miracle from the PBS. 1 or 2 shots spread out will probably be OK. I'm probably going to start with 2 ears and see how that feels. Then maybe take ear pro off and leave ear plugs in and I'll go from there. All I will be able to report is if it sounds good. I'm hoping for low pitch.

Last edited by ChilLyWilLy; 03-19-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add with
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #44
Towerofpower93

I’d say your theory of the sonic crack heading down range with the bullet producing the crack is correct, but you still have the crack at the muzzle and with anything besides a bare muzzle you might have some of that sound coming back at you.

There’s also the port noise from a semi, which is why places like NFA Talk have started running two meters; one located 1m to the right of the muzzle like the government does for their metering, and one at the right ear of the shooter.

Looking at their data, only some of the supersonic rifle and can combos are south of 140db and even those which are are not substantially lower.

To each there own, but eyeballs and ears are not easily replaced, so I protect both anytime I shoot.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #45
TX-Zen

Quote:
Now that we got that out of the way I'm not expecting a miracle from the PBS. 1 or 2 shots spread out will probably be OK. I'm probably going to start with 2 ears and see how that feels. Then maybe take ear pro off and leave ear plugs in and I'll go from there. All I will be able to report is if it sounds good. I'm hoping for low pitch.
It's not hearing safe to the shooter at all in my experience. Even with earplugs I didn't find it comfortable to shoot but when standing next to it or a few feet away it was fine. 10-15 feet away I listened without earpro at all and it wasn't unreasonable, but again I wouldn't make it a habit. When I go hunting with my Tiger I'll definitely be wearing earpro...it's a million times better than unsuppressed but my ears rang a bit when I shot 54r without any earpro at all. Not comfortable

The tone is not low either, it's definitely high on the 5.45 and 54r rounds I've shot through it

That said you are right not to expect a miracle, but it's still fun and I'm glad I have it. It's a versatile can and doesn't sound worse than any other can firing supersonic ammo...for example my friend's PSL with SF 7.62 SOCOM RC2 is quieter but still high pitched

Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #46
voron
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174098

Chris, when I shoot my suppressed 103, i do not need hearing protection. How loud is the wolverine on a standard barrel ak in 5,45? do you still need ear protection?

BAN SIG 2017

voron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #47
ChilLyWilLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
It's not hearing safe to the shooter at all in my experience. Even with earplugs I didn't find it comfortable to shoot but when standing next to it or a few feet away it was fine. 10-15 feet away I listened without earpro at all and it wasn't unreasonable, but again I wouldn't make it a habit. When I go hunting with my Tiger I'll definitely be wearing earpro...it's a million times better than unsuppressed but my ears rang a bit when I shot 54r without any earpro at all. Not comfortable

The tone is not low either, it's definitely high on the 5.45 and 54r rounds I've shot through it

That said you are right not to expect a miracle, but it's still fun and I'm glad I have it. It's a versatile can and doesn't sound worse than any other can firing supersonic ammo...for example my friend's PSL with SF 7.62 SOCOM RC2 is quieter but still high pitched
Thanx for the input TX! Nice to have first hand experience.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #48
dtownmj

AKaholic #: 182634

Can we sum up this accurately then?

104/107fr needs the 24mm LONG
104/107ur uses standard

Wasr -10 ....????
dtownmj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 AM   #49
ChilLyWilLy

I can't say anything about the URs for sure bc I haven't rechopped mine but the FRs fit the LONG perfectly.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #50
TX-Zen

Quote:
Thanx for the input TX! Nice to have first hand experience.
Glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voron View Post
Chris, when I shoot my suppressed 103, i do not need hearing protection. How loud is the wolverine on a standard barrel ak in 5,45? do you still need ear protection?
I don't think the Wolverine is hearing safe on any rifle I've shot yet including my AK103. It's good but not quiet enough to use without earpro, at least plugs

I have a heavy travel schedule coming up but when I fly up there to hang out with you I'll bring it so you can see

Old 03-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #51
cation3

AKaholic #: 186862

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownmj View Post
Can we sum up this accurately then?

104/107ur uses standard
I don't agree with this. I know what GataGunna posted, but i think his pic looks like the detent pin is barely recessed in the notch. I know that my UR with the Standard would barely fit in the notch, but I could still twist the can off the weapon. Look at my pic - the pin is much further into the notch. This pic is with the LONG adapter.
cation3 is offline   Reply With Quote